What is the reason GT series never had tire marks???

• Thread starter craste
  • 130 comments
There are a lot of things in this game that are added that don't make you faster. So to say something stupid like that is just retarded. They have useless **** in the backround that doesn't have to be there but it is....

Every race car game especially sim racers have this small touch (ya its a small touch but makes a big difference) in all there games. Please tell me wich SIM RACER has no skid marks or nice smoke affects. If everyone else can do it why can't PD?.

Hey look they have there rear view mirrors working in the cockpit view....how useless is that, when you can somehow turn your head 180degrees and look behind you. Oh wait people are going to say "it's more realistic!!". Oh wait isn't tiremarks and smoke realistic too?

I want smoke like this shown for both GT and Tourist Trophy

bxb9.jpg
su10.jpg

lol those are nice indeed.

We need the guys that make Crysis to make a race car game. Those guys would make an intresting race car game lol.

No wait!!! we need PD and the developers of Crysis to team up.......mmmmmmmmm goodness, and slap it on the PC and max out every peice of hardware possible. Imagine that kind of race car game :D

Its kinda pointless though. Oh no GT doesnt have huge plumes of smoke, oh no it doesnt have reverse lights, oh no it doesnt have skid marks...

So bloody what? I would rather they use the system resources for something better..

Ya Id rather they use it for something better aswell...Who needs all that crap in the backround (doesn't make you faster). Who needs a cockpit view (doesn't make you faster). And who needs **** shown in rear view mirrors...Sheesh what a bunch of pointless things to have eh?

If the reason they do not have it is because the PS3 Can not handle anymore, thats just sad on the PS3's end...

OK this is what your getting in Prologue.......Yeah I know it's prety poor graphicly but we'll just have to live with it! :sly:

gtw3.jpg

Anyone mentions the amount of 3D grass trackside and I'm going to stick my head in a bucket of elephant urine LOL

Of course the PS3 can do these effects. Smoke is always very performance hungry. Not sure about skid marks... I shouldn't think they'd be too hard. But as someone said, it's a matter of priorities. I'd say that blank mirrors stand out more as a sore thumb than no tyre marks.

Its kinda pointless though. Oh no GT doesnt have huge plumes of smoke, oh no it doesnt have reverse lights, oh no it doesnt have skid marks...

So bloody what? I would rather they use the system resources for something better..
sounds like you are against details? :dunce: I want this game to be as perfect as possible..

This debate keeps popping up every once in a while, and it's such a shame that so many people seem happy just shooting down those that would like these features added to the GT series.

I think what gets people is the fact they appear easy things to implement, so why aren't they already in the game??

Just maybe they wil be? It would be nice to have everything in there and it would add to the game, I'm just pointing out that there are limits and so whats in and whats not is prioritized. I don't think anyone wouldn't want tyre marks or weather effects or car damage, just some people find one thing more important than the other, thats all.
Pre release nerves seem to be making people a little less restrained at times....that goes for me too LOL

Tyre marks don't make you faster?

Can someone please explain to me the reasoning behind F1 grid and drag race burnouts then?

Tyre marks don't make you faster?

Can someone please explain to me the reasoning behind F1 grid and drag race burnouts then?

Simple when they are doing the burnouts in drag racing they are heating the tyres up, do you see them doing big burnouts when they leave the starting line No they are trying to get the tyres to hook-up without tyre spin when your tyres are spinning your cars not accelerating at the fastest rate possible. Kind of the reason for traction control on cars, take a vette and mash the gas the car moves forward turn the traction control off mash the gas the car sits and spins the tyres.

Ya Id rather they use it for something better aswell...Who needs all that crap in the backround (doesn't make you faster).
Well, when you are modeling a real-life track....

And on original tracks, so we really want Pole Position style back grounds with a generic building a blue sky? It is a distraction.

Besides, proper backgrounds add depth to the track and tricks the eye into see a two dimensional image as three dimensional. It is vital.

Who needs a cockpit view (doesn't make you faster).
No, but for a game that is supposed to be simulating driving the cars it is a very relevant feature.

And who needs **** shown in rear view mirrors.
Me. I have always used the rear view mirrors when provided in GT games. It make sit easy to check cars behind you without losing sight of the next approaching turn.

..Sheesh what a bunch of pointless things to have eh?
Not really. They all have their points and add something to the game more than having tire marks. Granted, tire marks would add to the realism and be a nice feature. As it is now they have the nearly permanent marks left from previous races and so the visual effect is there when racing without seeing someone leave new marks. In all honesty you won't notice that much until replays. Skid marks are something that I never think about until someone else brings it up.

If the reason they do not have it is because the PS3 Can not handle anymore, thats just sad on the PS3's end...
Either you are under the impression that the PS3 is supposed to be some uber computer or think that skid marks are extremely simple. Considering everything that PD manages to add to the game that adds to the realism and does have an effect on the game for the player. Skid marks would not be something that is necessary to pull me into the game.

Now if they did do skid marks and rubber on the track that added some grip in the racing line while leaving marbles off the line that would be an incredible feat and I welcome it. But I think that in the grand scheme of things skid marks are just a small thing that would have the most effect in the replay. Things such as damage are much more important for me.

Simple when they are doing the burnouts in drag racing they are heating the tyres up, do you see them doing big burnouts when they leave the starting line No they are trying to get the tyres to hook-up without tyre spin when your tyres are spinning your cars not accelerating at the fastest rate possible. Kind of the reason for traction control on cars, take a vette and mash the gas the car moves forward turn the traction control off mash the gas the car sits and spins the tyres.
What are you babling about? You think they're using traction control in drag racing!? :dunce: haha

What are you babling about? You think they're using traction control in drag racing!? :dunce: haha

No in drag racing it's called clutch/throttle control:dunce:. The vette thing was more about street cars and traction control
A number of changes to both the Sporting and Technical Regulations have been made by the FIA for the 2008 Formula One season.

Traction and launch control
Traction control - systems which prevent the rear wheels spinning if a driver applies too much power - are no longer permitted. This will place more emphasis on driver skill and should lead to more overtaking, as drivers are more likely to make mistakes. Similarly, systems that help the driver hold the clutch at a specific point to ensure an optimal getaway at the race start, have been outlawed.

tread marks don't make you any faster..
I disagree. Let's say I brake too late in a corner (happens quite a lot) and leave a mark on the road. Next lap I'll know that I must break before the mark. Result: I won't drive off the road and my lap time is better. :)

That has actually always been my problem with the GT. I just break when I feel like it's time to break. There's hardly any objects off-track of which I could determine breaking spots. Well some tracks have but anyway...

Rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrright.

So the fact they lay down a pair of huge, black 1s before the start (burnout in drag racing, parade lap in F1) so that when they come to launch for real rubber is gripping rubber instead of track has nothing to do with it?

That has actually always been my problem with the GT. I just break when I feel like it's time to break. There's hardly any objects off-track of which I could determine breaking spots. Well some tracks have but anyway...
I have to say that I feel you may not be paying enough attention. I have braking points landmarked on nearly every turn of every track, whether it be the darker racing line or a sign or a post or a tree. I have something almost always, and on tracks I drive the most I can almost nail it just by seeing the spot.

The exception to this would be Nurburgring, as I always seem to forget something almost once every lap.

Tyre marks, skid marks, burnout marks - whatever you want to call them is an essential part of the whole cars/driving experience.

When you play a first person shooter and you shoot a wall you want to see ithe bullet/missile/laser damage the wall - so it looks realistic like they will be doing in EA's new Bad Company game.

The little scorch marks current games have when you shoot the wall look silly - if they don't mark at all then thats even worse.

When you see a fast car doing a standing start and wheelspin away you take a look at the road to see the marks its left (cos its ace!!) and if you have a milligramme of petrol in your veins then you know that GT5 must have this feature so we can all lay down some rubber.

Which is nice.

I've just been looking at the screen shots of the BMW M3 drifting in London on the french website and because you can't see the skid marks the bmw might as well be parked up on an angle with the front wheels in an opposite lock. If it had tyre marks/skids trailing off then it transforms the picture you know then that the driver is ragging the BMW and is being a hero at the wheel.

And you want to have a go at it!!!

IT NEEDS TO BE SORTED!!!!

When you see a fast car doing a standing start and wheelspin away you take a look at the road to see the marks its left (cos its ace!!) and if you have a milligramme of petrol in your veins then you know that GT5 must have this feature so we can all lay down some rubber.
Crazy thing about Gran Turismo.....I play the driver, so I don't flip to reverse view after I take off to see if I left tire marks. And then I watch replays for eye candy maybe the first month I have it but after that it becomes more of a guide to find my flaws and improve my lap times.

But I am also not a drifter, so maybe it just doesn't seem as important to me as it does to others.

Crazy thing about Gran Turismo.....I play the driver, so I don't flip to reverse view after I take off to see if I left tire marks. And then I watch replays for eye candy maybe the first month I have it but after that it becomes more of a guide to find my flaws and improve my lap times.

But I am also not a drifter, so maybe it just doesn't seem as important to me as it does to others.
okey it's not really THAT important.. but as I and many others have said a hundred times, it's a nice detail and I can't understand why there is so much complains about wanting nice touches to be added!?!?!? :dunce:

Also the tyres should bulge out a little where they touch the ground cos at the moment it looks like the cars weight 'nothing'.

Just to knit pick.

They could also improve the graphics of the cars becuase sometimes - only joking :)

Also the tyres should bulge out a little where they touch the ground cos at the moment it looks like the cars weight 'nothing'.

Just to knit pick.

They could also improve the graphics of the cars becuase sometimes - only joking :)
I agree. This excists in LFS so why couldn't PD make it work? :dopey:

okey it's not really THAT important.. but as I and many others have said a hundred times, it's a nice detail and I can't understand why there is so much complains about wanting nice touches to be added!?!?!? :dunce:
I agree it is a nice detail, but in the grand scheme of things that fans would like to see, or that PD wants to implement, I think this is on the low end of the priority list.

My biggest has been online and now I have that. I'm not about to start picking nits about things like tire marks and reverse lights when we've just gotten an online that still needs tweaks and things like damage, weather, and day/night changes still aren't there.

I remember just before Forza 2 was released, there was a huge thread about the amount of 3D grass on the trackside......Some where comeing out with the most rediculous statements and basicly condeming the game because there wasn't enough of it......I can see what you guys are saying regarding the tyre marks and at this point pre release it's a sensable topic LOL
Oh and F1 cars have a standard clutch pedal for the start and then it switches to an electronic one, the point of the burnouts in drag raceing and F1 (they do very little of it in F1) is to get heat into the tyres and the clutch, you see 2 black lines at the back of a drag car when it launches because the tyres are like glue and the rubber sticks to the strip rather than being rubbed onto it. When you spin the wheels how ever little, you break traction thus you get little or no power onto the ground for acceleration, this is the last thing you want for a fast start, the F1 launch control systems (now ilegal) where so advanced that they even took into consideration the tyre slipping on the wheel rims themselves! I'll try and find some vids to show you what I mean it really is quite spectacular!

yeah i know they have advanced clutches but are they electricly controlled?
From NHRA website:
This is for "pure street"

Transmission, Automatic

Transmission must be OEM for engine used. All cars using an automatic transmission and running quicker than 10.99 or faster than 135 mph must be equipped with a transmission shield meeting SFI Spec 4.1, a flexplate shield labeled as meeting SFI

Spec 30.1, and a flexplate labeled as meeting SFI Spec 29.1. Transmission brake prohibited.

Transmission, Manual

Transmission must be OEM for engine used. Automated, timertype, pneumatic, electric, electronic, hydraulic, etc. shifting mechanism prohibited; each individual shift must be a function of the driver and controlled manually. (Driver must pull the lever.) Transmission adapter permitted provided adapter plate is approved by NHRA in advance.

Super Stock

Section 10A

Drivetrain: 2

Page 150 (11/07)

Transmission, Automatic: After “electric transbrake release system only” add, “Transbrake buttons must be NHRA accepted. Devices must be mechanical spring actuated and not exceed 3 inches in length from base of (button) switch to top of plunger. Adjustability is permitted, and may be made by a threaded stop or stop rings. Modifying the switch by the addition of hydraulics, pneumatics, electric, or other means is prohibited. See NHRA website for current

accepted list.

Latest Posts

Back