What Phone Do You Have?

• Thread starter benzoboy
  • 2,513 comments
If that picture was taken on your current phone I'd suggest it's time to go shopping. :sly:

Samsung Galaxy S5.
Yeah that's why I'm already looking for a new phone ;), it's actually just picture from a BBM channel showing potential new devices blurred out: Link.
NP
@Saidur_Ali, the speaker on both the S7 and S7 Edge is placed on the bottom, which means that you won't get a great experience even if the sound was great itself. The sound is clear, but not so loud. I'd suggest you go to a shop and test it before buying.

By the way, I picked up a Nexus 5X (32 GB) and am considering making it my 'daily driver' (in other words: ditch the S7 Edge). Battery on first charge looks great with 5,5 hours of screen-on-time over the course of 30 hours (since the last charge). 👍
Is it tinny sounding? Can have decent bottom speakers still, my Passport speakers are really loud and not too tinny sounding. Seems to work even in under water too so really don't see why Samsung put such terrible speakers on a high-end device, read it's quite a downgrade over the S6.

I'm not really concerned about loudness though, more about quality so would prefer something like the M8 speakers.

Might just wait it out and see what BlackBerry plans are. Shame no new BB10 device this year, only way to get a Snapdragon 820 powered QNX hardware seems to be buying a new Audi. :lol: Amazing in a way stuff like BMW iDrive is QNX since 2010. So many of the car makers use QNX including Ferrari, Porsche, Ford and Mercedes-Benz. Shame BlackBerry seems to be ditching it and switching to Android for phones.
facepalm.gif

Any reason why you didn't wait for at least a 820 powered Nexus device soon as you already have the S7 Edge? What don't you like about the S7 Edge that makes you want to change to a Nexus 5X as a daily driver?
@NP How's the 5X? I'm interested in it now that prices are starting to drop, but I'm worried about how future-proof it is seeing as it 'only' has 2GB's of RAM.
The new Nexus devices are probably around the corner, current ones are dated really.

True, but this means that the current models will have price drops which is why I'm interested in the 5X.
They usually price the phones quite well at launch though so IMO, worth paying extra for the latest stuff if thinking of keeping device for a few years. Snapdragon 820 should run cooler, faster and take less power too.
NP
I've had the S6 Edge, as well - the S7 Edge speaker is supposed to be louder in comparison, but I guess the IP68 certification dampens that a bit. It's clearer but not necessarily louder.

I personally wouldn't worry about it, if you're content with the placement of the spaker.

While all the bells and whistles the S7 Edge comes with are awesome, the device (or shall I say: software) is still not streamlined enough.

There's arguably no better phone in the hardware department right now, but that will change in a couple months.

Even though the Nexus 5X doesn't look impressive in comparison, it surely took me by surprise - it runs slightly smoother, it keeps the same amount of applications in RAM, it has a great camera, more than decent battery life (Doze seems to work better in comparison with the S7 Edge) and it delivers a good media experience (it's a shame it doesn't have dual front-facing speakers, but the placement of the single speaker is great, at least).

The most important part about the Nexus 5X (and 6P) are the timely software updates. If you don't care about those, fair game - but I personally like them.

The price/performance-ratio is much better with the 5X, if you can get it for around 300 bucks.
Looking on phoneArena, seems my old Q10 is quite a bit louder than the S7 Edge. Surprising that multimedia phones like Samsung have such terrible speakers given the price.

TouchWiz still a bit laggy then? It's good to have latest updates first but really Marshmallow is big improvement so as long as it has that, not really concerned by updates.

I do wonder if devices with 10nm FinFET SoC will come out this year, WhatsApp ending BB10 support end of 2016 so could wait until then. Hopefully someone releases a decent keyboard device by then with 14nm SoC, sooner the better. 801 chip too slow and takes a lot of power.

NP
@Saidur_Ali, I would test it personally, if I were you. There's a difference between real life and laboratory tests. Loudness is far from a reliable indicator for the quality of a speaker. ;)

TouchWiz is not laggy, just (expectedly) not on par with stock Android. On the other hand, custom manufacturer overlays/skins come with additional features.
Will do, may just end up getting the PRIV when it gets Marshmallow update as that has decent speakers and keyboard even though old hardware like 5X.

NP
@Saidur_Ali, hardware has started to matter less and less over the last years - no need to worry about specifications, if the phone runs smoothly and delivers a great experience.

Keyword: Updates. ;)
Matters still a lot IMO, seeing sizable leap in performance and power efficiency in all areas.

Screen-Shot-2015-12-15-at-13-37-50.png

USB3.1 will be quite a step up for copying files over from phone. Cameras are getting really good in terms of speed of focus and low light performance. HTC 10 seems like my kind of device, if it only had keyboard...

I just acquired a Xperia Z5. Coming from a rooted and CM12'ed Z2, everything on this phone is so hideously big. The letters, the icons. It's terrible. But seeing that CM13 yet again screws up the camera function,I am hesitant to go that route.

NP
From my very own testing (I have friends at HTC ;)):

- The camera takes great pictures (it's not 100% on par with the S7 Edge, more along the lines of the current Nexus devices - in auto mode, your mileage may vary)
- System performance is great
- It has a lot less stock apps (they removed duplicates)
- The build quality is much improved (it has nice, flat sides, but doesn't feel sharp in the hand at all).
Did you try out the speakers, it's got a subwoofer I've read at the bottom. Recording audio seems really good too.

Last edited:
My M7 is awesome, the M10 looks like an upgrade for me. But I buy phone's at full price so I'll probably get the M9. Which is still an exceptional phone. The M10 doesn't have my IR blaster but the M9 does. Sooooo :rolleyes:

NP
From my very own testing (I have friends at HTC ;)):

- The camera takes great pictures (it's not 100% on par with the S7 Edge, more along the lines of the current Nexus devices - in auto mode, your mileage may vary)
- System performance is great
- It has a lot less stock apps (they removed duplicates)
- The build quality is much improved (it has nice, flat sides, but doesn't feel sharp in the hand at all).

@Dennisch, you can probably change the DPI setting via adb.

~ EDIT ~ Connect the phone via USB and then use the following commands in adb:
Code:
adb shell
shell@EXXXX*:/ $ wm density 250**
shell@EXXXX*:/ $ reboot

* Insert your four-digit model number here
** Set DPI as you please
Remove * from commands

No root required. ;)

Finally got around to do this. Have it set to 360 because that worked good on my Z2 too. The only snag I've encountered is that Swiftkey is screwed up. But that probably just needs a fresh install.

So much better now with this setting.

edit.

Nope. Swiftkey is one of those apps that doesn't like non-rooted phones being modified. Ah well. No Swiftkey it is.

Last edited:
M9 has been going well. Don't know what happened to the Marshmallow update though. Love the IR control for the TV and the speakers are decent for a phone.

So did end up getting the PRIV due to Marshmallow update. Don't like it so may not switch to it. Will see what BlackBerry Rome specs are before deciding what to do with it. Miss the E90 days of having a decent sized keyboard.
PRIV & E90.jpg

Disappointing that Sony hasn't made use of their patent yet and released a phone with keyboard and gamepad. Would make me get a Sony phone again if they did, too many generic looking touch screen only phones.

sony-dual-keyboard-patent-625x434.jpg

I don't use my phone very often but I finally upgraded my ageing HTC Hero last week, bought a Motorola Moto E 2nd Gen.

weagawe-820x420.jpg

I'm very happy with it, fast enough, screen about the right size that I want and battery life after the 6.0 Marshmallow Upgrade is great. Camera isn't great but I don't use it anyway.

Only cost £39, plus £2 to unlock it. Bargain IMO.

http://shop.vodafone.co.uk/shop/pay-as-you-go/motorola-moto-e-4g-payg/sku88822?priceFilter=0to50&
Impressive you've used the HTC Hero for so long. :eek:

I got amazed how cheap you can buy smartphones in UK a while back, £0.99 Pay As You Go Upgrade you can get a lot of Android phone for your money.

I've got a Galaxy 3 S I've been using for about 3 years and a half I bought myself after entering uni, but it's been on the verge of going outta order these days unfortunately... :(

I still have the SP. Ever since Sony gave it an update filled with bugs, the phone has been awful. It hangs, freezes and sometimes even reboots without me doing anything. It's also capable of losing 25% of battery without me doing anything, force closing apps, overheating, and running out of battery with 15% of battery left.

Thankfully, my parents have agreed to get me an iPhone 6s in the near future, so I don't have to use this any longer.

It's a shame really, this phone was capable of so much and Sony decided to abandon it.

I got my 6s (Gold, 64GB) about a week ago.

The performance difference is insane.

I've got BQ Aquaris X5. It's a very posh cheap phone with a Snapdragon 412 quad core @1,4GHz and graphics by an Adreno 306, 2Gb of RAM. It's the most powerful on the 200€ range without going chinese. On the outside feels very iPhone-ish complete with an alluminium frame. It has 0 lag and with medium use it can last 2 days. I've had it since feburary and I love it

Disappointing that Sony hasn't made use of their patent yet and released a phone with keyboard and gamepad. Would make me get a Sony phone again if they did, too many generic looking touch screen only phones.

sony-dual-keyboard-patent-625x434.jpg

They did make that phone, the Sony Ericsson Xperia Play...

Sony-Ericsson-Xperia-Play-ofic-1.jpg

They did make that phone, the Sony Ericsson Xperia Play...

Sony-Ericsson-Xperia-Play-ofic-1.jpg
That's old, I had the Xperia Pro which was keyboard version of that. I'm on about having both keyboard and gamepad like PSP Go slide-out like shown on that patent picture. If only they release a Snapdragon 830 SoC slider with decent quality speakers and cameras, power frugal screen and decent capacity battery, it will be close to being my dream smartphone. Instead they're just releasing some generic X phone and might keep that trend up until they probably go out of the smartphone market. :banghead:

We only just got the 820. :lol:
But I agree, an updated Xperia Play would be great. I personally want to see an updated Xperia SP.
Microsoft seem to be planning to make phone with one already. Need some 10nm FinFET goodness, should help with gaming battery life and temperatures. It's not too long until 7nm FinFET, don't know how long it will take for the next node but I think if they don't release another PlayStation phone with gamepad, they should at least make a Vita successor with a 7nm SoC. Might get better gameplay than PS4...

Back