What Phone Do You Have?

• Thread starter benzoboy
  • 2,513 comments
Yesterday, I got my first-ever smartphone. I got myself a Motorola Moto e5 Cruise/Play from Cricket. I am still fairly new to actually owning and using a smartphone. But... I am learning. It is my first real "phone" that I have.

I've had a Nokia Lumia since 2013 running windows. It's nearing the end, so I just ordered a Xiaomi Mi Mix 2. It's my first non-mainstream brand of phone. Seems to have stellar reviews, so we'll see....

After around 7 years on iPhone, I've decided that they are no longer one of the top phones and the price can no longer be justified.

Just got myself the Huawei Mate 20 Pro. Only had it a few hours but do far I'm really enjoying it.

Bought on black friday the Motorola One Play, first phone on the Android One program here in Brazil. Really happy with it.

Currently looking to get a smartwatch, but I'm really struggling in finding the correct one for me. Any suggestions?

Bought on black friday the Motorola One Play, first phone on the Android One program here in Brazil. Really happy with it.

Currently looking to get a smartwatch, but I'm really struggling in finding the correct one for me. Any suggestions?
I personally like the LG G Watch and the Zen Series, if you need bare minimum smart watch functions then I'd go for a Pebble or Fitbit.

A terrible 2017 motoG4, after a very good 2014 MotoE, i got so disappointed with this newer amazing, on the paper, device, filled with bugs, crashes, random reebots, battery problems. A powerhouse(for my needs) that never works when its needed. Junk.

I upgraded to the Samsung Galaxy S8+ (my old phone was a Galaxy S4 mini) when it was new, and gotta say I love it! Huge screen, it's still very quick a year on, and it's got such a good camera! If only I knew how to fully utilise it in pro mode..

Upgraded to an iPhone XS from the iPhone 5.

Had the latter from new until someone recently thought it was now waterproof like the recent range.

:grumpy:

I picked up one of these today:

618OLUDo93L._SX425_.jpg

One of my relatives switched back to an iPhone since it was more simple for them to use so they gave me their Pixel 2.

I hate that it doesn't have a headphone jack but I do like everything else about it. It's gonna take me awhile to get used to having a smaller phone than my LG V20 but it is more comfortable to use daily.

I've had a Samsung Galaxy A8 since November, it's great - my biggest complaint is that the default keyboard seems to learn everything as a new phrase so the suggestions are becoming more and more useless, for example I think I once edited a word I'd already typed to change it to "aren't", so now it suggests "ren't", "sent" and "tent" when I want to write "rent". Easy enough to delete but I've got words with numbers in, mis-spelled words all over the place it's just stupid, I need to find an alternative.

I also have 12GB of data, but I discovered today (my reset date, too) that I had my data usage alert set to 2GB - so today was the first time I've ever reached 2GB of bandwidth used in a single billing period. The thing is they didn't even offer this phone with less than 4GB and 12GB was only £2/mo more, and I figured it's better to have it and not need it... This is maybe overkill, though.

I've had a Samsung Galaxy A8 since November, it's great - my biggest complaint is that the default keyboard seems to learn everything as a new phrase so the suggestions are becoming more and more useless, for example I think I once edited a word I'd already typed to change it to "aren't", so now it suggests "ren't", "sent" and "tent" when I want to write "rent". Easy enough to delete but I've got words with numbers in, mis-spelled words all over the place it's just stupid, I need to find an alternative.
I definitely recommend Google's default keyboard.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.inputmethod.latin

If you don't want Google to harvest your data, Swiftkey is a good alternative
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.touchtype.swiftkey

I've been using a Samsung Galaxy S9 for over a week now after my Google Nexus 5X (bought December 2016) became a victim to the infamous bootloop of death. Not much to say about the 5X other than it was a decent phone with a superb camera.

Prior to the S9, I've been using Google phones (Nexus 5 followed by Nexus 5X) and noticed they both suffer from a performance drop-off around the one year mark before they have some issue which renders them useless. That put me off buying another Google phone, so I decided to buy last year's flagship Android which was 25% off at the time. Aside from Samsung's bloatware, I love pretty much everything about it! Hopefully it is just as impressive as time goes on. ;)

I definitely recommend Google's default keyboard.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.inputmethod.latin

If you don't want Google to harvest your data, Swiftkey is a good alternative
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.touchtype.swiftkey

Thanks for the suggestions, I already use a ton of Google products so I don't think I have much more I can realistically hide from them, I'll probably try theirs first and see how it goes.

I picked up one of these today:

How's that Pixel 3 XL?
Don't you just love it?
:lol:

Edit:
If you have the Original Pixel/XL it looks like it will be upgraded to Android Q.

Last edited:
How's that Pixel 3 XL?
Don't you just love it?
:lol:

Edit:
If you have the Original Pixel/XL it looks like it will be upgraded to Android Q.

I am very happy with my Pixel 3 XL. Phone calls actually work in my Accord with it. The Pixel XL would connect, but seemingly not hand over voice or audio.

So I guess the Galaxy S10(s) have an issue with it's proximity sensor where it would randomly awake in your pocket.
So far no comment by Samsung.

Any recommendations on a new phone.

I've used Apple since the 3G and I'm currently on a 6+

I would love to get a new XS Max but the price is eye watering. I'm very picky about the camera and its software abilities but I just can't seem to find the urge to jump ship over to Android.

Any recommendations on a new phone.

I've used Apple since the 3G and I'm currently on a 6+

I would love to get a new XS Max but the price is eye watering. I'm very picky about the camera and its software abilities but I just can't seem to find the urge to jump ship over to Android.

What about an 8?

My understanding (as an X user) is the XR is the actual best iphone to get, due to its price and battery

Galaxy S10 is one that has good camera.
Pixel(s) has even better.

If you look at camera itself.

Thanks @baldgye & @TJ13 for your posts.

I just totally ignored them and bit the bullet and picked up an XS Max for me and XS for the fiancee. My bank balance is feeling a little vulnerable now :D

giphy-8.gif

The Samsung Galaxy Fold being folded by robots is interesting :lol: I hope it doesn't develop a nasty crease in real life.

Now Xiaomi is joining the party, it's quite funny how all of them are trying to out do each other on the folding!

Last edited:
Galaxy S10 is one that has good camera.
Pixel(s) has even better.

If you look at camera itself.

I can upgrade in about 3 or 4 months and I think it's going to be between the Galaxy S10 or the Pixel 3. I always go to the Verizon store a month or so in advance and go hands on with them to see how I like each one.

Thinking about getting a OnePlus 6T. Any one here has one?
I have the normal 6 and I love it. For the price, nothing can beat it IMO. It feels fast like any other modern phone out there, but it's much cheaper than other flagship phones. I only have a few small gripes with the phone. 1: The speaker sucks. It's definitely a main component that they cheaped out on. 2: The vibration motor is relatively weak. Sometimes I don't feel it in my pocket. 3: The camera is good, but not as good as the flagship phones.

The 7 is supposed to come out in May and rumors say it'll look like this

Oneplus7-600x334.jpg

Last edited:
Back