What Phone Do You Have?

• Thread starter benzoboy
  • 2,513 comments
Anyone here own a OnePlus? I want to know how stock Andriod the OxygenOS is.
It's extremely stock. They have their own launcher but you can install the Pixel launcher without any problems. There's no bloatware other than their own weather and gallery app. The small things they do add are quite nice such as reading mode where it makes the screen black and white if you have an e-book open. Everything looks stock. It has the Pixel's style gesture controls and also their own that has no on screen buttons. Overall, it's as stock as it can get

It's extremely stock. They have their own launcher but you can install the Pixel launcher without any problems. There's no bloatware other than their own weather and gallery app. The small things they do add are quite nice such as reading mode where it makes the screen black and white if you have an e-book open. Everything looks stock. It has the Pixel's style gesture controls and also their own that has no on screen buttons. Overall, it's as stock as it can get

That's what I was hoping for. I know the Andriod on Xperia's are probably the most stock out there and I was looking for something similar on a OnePlus. I have used MIUI for example and found it disappointing, massively bloated and counter intuitive. You can't even disable preinstalled apps.

That's what I was hoping for. I know the Andriod on Xperia's are probably the most stock out there and I was looking for something similar on a OnePlus. I have used MIUI for example and found it disappointing, massively bloated and counter intuitive. You can't even disable preinstalled apps.
Yeah, most Chinese ROMs aren't that good, because the Chinese market prefer an iOS style OS. OnePlus is more marketed to Europe and America even though they're really big in India

I believe LG phones are very close to stock Android. Their phones are also quite nice, a bit underrated IMO. They still have the headphone jack if that's something you need

LG's skin is on the heavier side, whereas OxygenOS and Sony's skin are on the lighter side (though OOS has weirdly aggressive RAM management, like most Chinese market phones).

Default MIUI is also quite heavy, though the variant used on the Pocophone is lighter and more pleasant to use IMO.

I personally switched from OxygenOS when they merged the OxygenOS and HydrogenOS teams (HydrogenOS is the ROM shipped on Chinese OnePlus devices), because that's when they started making weird design and functionality choices (most importantly for me, the alert slider functionality and aggressive RAM management).

My friend moved from the Pixel 1 to the LG V40 and he really likes it. I never heard any complaints about its version of Android

If you have a Huawei phone you may lose out on Updates/Play Store/Gmail if outside of China.

Reports are coming in that Google has immediately lost access to android updates/Play Store and Gmail. (It has said to be future phones but some have had issues with current phones already)

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/201...-with-huawei-will-cut-it-off-from-play-store/

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...ei-after-trump-blacklist-source-idUSKCN1SP0NB

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...nds-some-business-with-huawei-reuters-reports

https://9to5google.com/2019/05/19/google-huawei-play-store-report/

I went to a T-Mobile store to check out the OP7 Pro and it's definitely quite nice. The screen is definitely a lot smoother. Everything else feels like my current OP6. I'm probably going to keep my OP6 for another like 4 years unless I break it somehow

I still own a Huawei P9 Lite after three years of using it without much care, and it still works quite nicely, it's just starting to lose battery duration. Hopefully I can keep it for a while longer, unless Trump's newest bright idea forces me to change it (and honestly, I don't want to spend any money on a smartphone atm). :banghead:

I still own a Huawei P9 Lite after three years of using it without much care, and it still works quite nicely, it's just starting to lose battery duration. Hopefully I can keep it for a while longer, unless Trump's newest bright idea forces me to change it (and honestly, I don't want to spend any money on a smartphone atm). :banghead:
You shouldn't need to change it. Both Google and Huawei have said that they're going to maintain support of the Play Store and security updates respectively. It might not mean full OS updates but we can't tell for certain.

You shouldn't need to change it. Both Google and Huawei have said that they're going to maintain support of the Play Store and security updates respectively. It might not mean full OS updates but we can't tell for certain.

It gives full updates at lease for the "90" days then it will "assess" if it will be extended afterwards. (August 19th)
That was an order by the U.S Commerce Department.

Before that Google would blacklist all Huawei stuff, but Huawei would maintain support through the ASOP.

I've stopped receiving full OS updates a long time ago, since I have a Lite. Security and apps are all the updates I need.

Early in the month my brother and I took advantage of a Huawei sale, we got a P30 for mom, I got a Y9 2019 for myself (a significant upgrade from an abysmal LG Aristo) and my brother got a Matebook 13

Needless to say I got a little scared by the news that developed this weekend.

The phone itself is wonderful considering the price I got it for ($200 or thereabouts); it's got 64GB of storage and 3GB of RAM, the display resolution is really good and the camera is amazing.

Still using my trusty Oneplus 3. Battery life has taken a small dip in the 3 years I've been using it but it is still a very solid phone.

It is a shame Oneplus has moved away from the "budget premium" market as it means I won't be buying one again. My Oneplus 3 cost £285 brand new. The 7 is a whopping £500 for the base model.

Went and picked up a Samsung Galaxy S10+ tonight. I've got my contacts switched over but I can't figure out how to get my photos transferred.

Went and picked up a Samsung Galaxy S10+ tonight. I've got my contacts switched over but I can't figure out how to get my photos transferred.
Photos should be easy, no?

Connect your old phone to PC with the correct cable, transfer pictures (and whatnot) over. Switch phones and connect the new one to the PC. Transfer your files back. Also make sure both phones are in "USB- transfer files" mode.

Photos should be easy, no?

Connect your old phone to PC with the correct cable, transfer pictures (and whatnot) over. Switch phones and connect the new one to the PC. Transfer your files back. Also make sure both phones are in "USB- transfer files" mode.

Well according to Verizon and the instructions I was given before I left the store, I should be able to either use something called Copy Data, Samsung Switch, or even Verizon's method of transfer. I have good wifi but Copy Data kept timing out on me. I haven't tried Samsung Switch yet. But something transferred over my contacts and apps but I just don't know which one did it.

If your previous phone was an Android, you could turn on Google's own account syncing and it should sync up all your contacts and apps. Google Photos has unlimited cloud storage for photos (but at a compressed file size)

If your previous phone was an Android, you could turn on Google's own account syncing and it should sync up all your contacts and apps. Google Photos has unlimited cloud storage for photos (but at a compressed file size)

I got it done using the Samsung Switch app. It probably would have went smoother if I used that first.

Now my Samsung S5 randomly shuts down without warning or loss of power and won't turn back on unless I put it back on the charger.

When I do put it on the charger it says it has 80% power.

Last edited:
You might need a new battery.

I have already replaced the original battery and the second battery is 6 months old and doesn't show any battery drain just shutsdown without warning the old bsttery showed the % that is drained so i think its a software issue.

I have already replaced the original battery and the second battery is 6 months old and doesn't show any battery drain just shutsdown without warning the old bsttery showed the % that is drained so i think its a software issue.
Is it a genuine Samsung battery? Beware of counterfeit ones and low quality replacements.

Back