What's the hardest event in GT history?

• Thread starter SCER
  • 431 comments

Which is hardest?

• Total voters
34 was fairly easy from what I remember. The worst part was car collisions and off-track moments.

hsv
34 was fairly easy from what I remember. The worst part was car collisions and off-track moments.
Which happened a lot due the tyres not being up to scratch.

I do agree with the idea that if we went back to GT4 a good number of us could complete it.

Most of its challenge came from being a new and very long track to the GT series at the time and the 2 minute wait at the start which could stress out the player to the point they start making mistakes in their attempts to catch the 300SL.

GT2 License Test in Laguna Seca using the Viper. The most memorably difficult if not the most difficult event for me.

Was this the one where you had to do the corkscrew section? If it was then this one always sticks out for me. I spent days on it then one day I thought f:censored:K it! Put on some Bon Jovi full volume, gave it one last go and got silver!

Ah the memories:)

Was this the one where you had to do the corkscrew section? If it was then this one always sticks out for me. I spent days on it then one day I thought f:censored:K it! Put on some Bon Jovi full volume, gave it one last go and got silver!

It's the one where you had to do not only the corkscrew, but a full lap in a race spec viper. ;)
Although the one you describe is quite tricky because, again it was a new track at the time and in most cases the first time anyone would drive on it.

Maybe I was just a very baaaaad driver back then, but these 2 events in GT3 were impossible for me to finish:

1. FGT Championship... I dont know how this ones difficulty compares to the FGT events in GT5/6 (which were very easy to me), but the AI seemed super fast and made no errors. Later I read on the Internet that you can win this event very easy using a LM car with superhard tires, so you dont have to pit. Never got the chance to try this one again :(

2. Pagani Zonda Event: I wanted that Zonda LM car so badly, but was never ever able to win this race in a C12s...

I didn't have many problems with the FGT Championship, but I agree with you on the Zonda event. I was just waiting for someone to mention it, you needed to be the best tuner there ever was to beat those damned Zonda LMs.

One that I found extremely difficult was the GT4 licence test at Chamonix. When you're a 14/15-year-old kid like I was when I was playing GT4, you're going to have problems.

DS_tr_Chamonix.gif

Your trouble begin between the second bridge and the end of the second sector (marked by T). Everything is a complete white-out. For the first dozen times, you either brake too late and hit the wall, or you brake and turn in too early and hit the wall - in both cases you fail instantly. For much of the snow-covered portion of the circuit, you can't see the inside limit of the track. You don't know if you've turned in too early until you hit the wall and Yello's "Oh Yeah" starts playing.

And then there's the tarmac rallies, especially on Citta di Aria. If you misjudge an overtake, oh boy, you get slapped in the face by a massive...time penalty. If you misjudge a corner when the track is barely wide enough for your car, that's a paddlin' penalty. I think I needed to resort to a Gameshark disc to beat it.

Oh my God, that took me about 2/3 days :lol:

I miss 8 year old me playing on his PS2... :(

Was that the Suzuka one? Remember that being frustrating.

In Suzuka it was F40 ;). A good one too.

Man this is a good thread. So many memories of some hard races ... luckily no impossible ones for me. I do feel bad for those, who haven't been able to win one or the other of these mentioned events.

Also no mentions (or just my bad reading skills) of the B-spec historic race and Nascar in GT5. The cruelty of Nascars and the impossible stupidity of B-spec Bob in Monaco in Historic Championship. How it would keep hitting that wall on the exit of the tunnel ...

Yes that 🤬 corkscrew "screw" me literally hundred times. I only got bronze but for me that bronze is like I won in a lottery.

GT2 license test with Toyota GT one race car 98. Track is unknown but it was corner like Eau Rouge, newer menage to get gold... And Dodge Viper on Laguna Seca also GT2, corkscrew was so scary for me in Viper :D

Been a while, but I remember the IA licence test in GT1 with the R33 at Trial Mountain took a good amount of time.

Test IC-4 in GT2 springs to mind the most; the one with the 'blind' corners and the Z28 Camaro. Got gold in every single test (including S licence) except this one. EURGGHHHH. No matter how many times you try it, or study the demo video or try various techniques, nothing works. Always end up with an average silver time at best.

The Complex String time attack in GT3 was another bad one. Then again, I don't think its difficult per se, just the fact that its a long course and it doesn't appear anywhere apart from licence tests, so you wouldn't be used to the track too well. Still, those blind crests caused me so much frustration as a kid.

The McLaren F1 GTR event in GT4 Prologue just plain sucked.

Mission 34 in GT4 has been mentioned lots, but personally I think all of them (bar the first 10) are quite irritating. Special shout out to the Speedster one-make race too.

GT5's Loeb events are another good example. Got a bronze and left it at that. Same with the majority of the Grand Tour.

GT6's only really difficult event is the S licence test with the Veyron at Ascari. The Aventador one took ages for me as well, now that I think about it.

Disagree, the car was equipped with bald tires and loose lugnuts. It was virtually impossible, but alas I'll pull out my PS2 and give it another try. It's been a while since my last frustration episode...

Bald tires? Those were Sports Hard IIRC, absolutely appropriate?

If I remember correctly, for mission 34 it ran sports mediums. I'm not 100% sure if the SLR came with Sports hards or softs from the dealership.

For me the hardest challenge out of the GT games that I've completely golded (GT4, GT PSP, GT5 and GT6) is definitely the Vettel X challenge from GT5. I remember bronzing them when I first unlocked them, thinking I would get back to them later. When I got back I golded Monza quite easily, struggled with Nürburgring but eventually golded that too. I tried Suzuka but lost motivation and postponed it. It was not until a little over a year ago, 2½ years after the release of GT5, that I got got determined to get that gold that stood between me and that platinum trophy. I gave it all I got and after many restarts I finally got it. I remember driving it with AT, most aids on and either pulling the DFGT power cord or setting FF to 1 to make the X2010 easier to turn.

Also I postponed the Grand Tour events on Eiger with the 8C and the Toscana Lambo event for some time. I remember golding Eiger in an hour after I finally sat down to gold it. I normally use no aids but ABS, but for that one I think I had to use TCS 1 and 2 quick taps on the handbrake in the first (or second?) turn. The Lambo event was made easier but I still hated the lack of visibilty and the handling of the car over the elevation changes.

I got a PS3 and GT5P about 2 weeks before the release of GT5, so never had time to gold it. I remember there were some tough challenges though.

I golded GT4 with a DS2, I don't remember there being something overly difficult (I have the PAL version so the last license test is supposedly a lot easier than in other versions). Though I remember the last driving mission with the SLR McLaren on Nordschleife being a pain as there was like a 2 minute wait for the other cars to take off, every time you had to restart. I've heard this mission was also easier in PAL than in other versions.

As for GT6, the Senna challenge on Brands perhaps the most challenging in this game, but it wasn't all that hard, I golded it in a little over a half an hour or so. Though golding some seasonals without SRF is also hard, but that doesn't really count if I myself choose not to use SRF.

Probably, but for some reason the car is manageable in GT5/6 yet not so much comparatively in the GT4 mission. I'll give it another go. Maybe I've improved since then, but struggling wasn't for lack of knowing the track.

I always struggled with the AE86 at SSR5 Wet in the GT3 S License test. That and the GT40 at Seattle were a big challenge. License tests sure were tough back then.

Sorry for the inconvenience, but does Senna challenges are up everytime like the X2014 challenges or it's like seasonal events? So when i buy back a PS3 in July i can still do them and win the cars? :rolleyes:

As for the hardest, i must say the Vettel challenge in GT5 :lol:

That darn SLR McLaren 1-Lap Magic on Nurburgring in GT4! To this day, I still haven't even come close to completing it! :grumpy:

I just got GT4 out of storage and tried GT4 mission 34, finally got it :) :) :)
What makes it so hard is the bumps, hit one and the car jumps. I must say, it is much easier with a G27 than with a DFGT or DS2.

Still, I now can't decide if maybe the Vettel X challenge at Suzuka was equally hard...

Mission 34 was horrible. I struggle on the Nurb at the best of times, but I always came across an AI at the wrong moment. Queue big crash or losing loads of time slamming on the brakes and a 2 minute wait to start again!

This, I never did complete it. I should go back and do so. In 1080I no less!

The only thing I have attempted, and not finished from GT2,3,4,5 or 6 were the Vettel challenges from GT5. I remember the S licences from 2,3 and 4 being difficult, and a couple of the GT4 special missions, but golded all of them. The hardest thing on GT6 is the Brands Senna event, but still a breeze compared to some of the earlier games. Havent tried the S licence at Ascarti yet though.

In no particular order:
  • Mission 34 in GT4: Finally golded it by .002
  • Mission 23 in GT4: Couldn't figure out how to get gold. Finally nailed it thanks to a tutorial by @daan or @Famine
  • X Challenges in GT5: Took quite some time to gold all of them
  • 8C @ Eiger in GT5: Oddly difficult
  • Ayrton Senna Tribute: 97T @ Brands Hatch: Quite hard

Last edited:
Here's mine:
1. (Gran Turismo 5) (TIE): Jeff Gordon NASCAR School: Professional (event 2: Indianapolis until XL Edition)/Top Gear Test Track: Intermediate (loose handling and disqualifications caused repeated deletions of my save data after repeated frustration)
2. (Gran Turismo 6): Goodwood Festival of Speed 2-3, 3-3, and 5-3 (the Red Bull X is my worst car, seeing that they're also the fastest cars in the game - the third car in some sections caused me to see the "Disqualified - Off Track/Hit a Barrier" screen a LOT)
3. (Gran Turismo 4): License Test S-12 (seeing the FAIL screen in 2009 due to me having a slow time caused me to lose it, destroying the PlayStation 2 controller I had since 2004 - but managed to clear it a few tries later under a burgundy controller - which I have also had since 2004)
4. (Gran Turismo 5): Grand Tour, event 3 (I am NOT good at controlling a mid-engine exotic in some games - and when I reached certain corners, the Murciélago LP640 turned on me, causing me to spin a couple of times)
5. (Gran Turismo 3): Every single Time Trial event in Arcade Mode. I was only about 16 or 17, didn't have my own PS2 at the time, and kept failing.

Gt5 red bull challenges. Alfa romeo 8c on Eiger Nordwand. Most of gt4s special licences. The expert seasonal event on gt5 trial mountain circuit. Can't remember the car used for it though.

f40
1. Vettel X Challenges (GT5)
2. Senna Tribute Challenge - Lotus 97T at Brands Hatch
3. License S-8 (GT3) - Toyota GT-One at Monaco
4. License S-16 (GT4) - Mercedes 190E at Nordschliefe
5. License S-5 (GT6) - Bugatti Veyron at Ascari

R you kidding me ?? Veyron at Ascari, my personal Best is 1:18 and I've seen times 1:15 on youtube, NONE of the S Challenges on GT2/3 was even beraly possible to lap more then 2s lower of the gold time

Back