What's the hardest event in GT history?

• Thread starter SCER
  • 431 comments

Which is hardest?

• Total voters
I only really have strong experience with GT5… But there were some tough cookies there. Recently I got to play a v1.00 GT5 while on vacation, and I got to re-live some past horrors.

- The S. Vettel events BY FAR were the hardest events that I got to play in GT5. I think I managed a bronze in each one, maybe a Silver Suzuka or Monza, but either way the margin for error there was ridiculous.
- I never managed to get even CLOSE to a silver on the first event of the Grand Tour… Bronze was plenty easy, but somehow I managed to hit my limit where I just couldn't a way to make my lap faster and get me over the Silver marker…
- As mentioned a few times, the Lotus Top Gear event was hell. I don't remember what version I first played on, nor how difficult it was then… But on V1.00, it was awful. Aside from the car being insanely slick, the penalty zones alone caused a rage-quit level of disqualifications. Then there was off-and-on collision penalties to add to that… But the worst was just simply getting around the cars. You had to find a way to sneak around the roadblocks in the most awkward places, always narrowly missing cones and disqualification zones. I FINALLY found a way around this group of three the first time passing the tire wall, and it led me to victory.
- I thought the Samba Bus Top Gear event was pretty difficult too, and I'm surprised wasn't mentioned, but maybe it got simplified later on.
- The later parts of the Jeff Gordon events… Don't get me started. (Or hit the cones.)
- The Toscana race in the Grand Tour event… Those physics in V1.00 were DEFINITELY different from those in Spec 2.0. I don't know how, but the Murcielago's physics seemed backwards - when I'd brake or even just let off the gas, I'd get massive snap-oversteer, and when I'd hit the accelerator, I'd regain traction, and the car would become completely manageable. It was to the point where I could throw the car into the corner to the point where I'd almost spin backwards, then apply full throttle and the car would straighten back out and be completely composed upon exit. I never actually got a rank in the event because I would restart very race trying to get gold. It was more disorienting then difficult, really… but it was massive fun on every attempt. I had forgotten how fun GT could be up until that point.

Despite their insane difficulty, pretty much every one of the challenges involving AI opponents was an absolute blast for me. I personally think they're some of the best parts of the GT games, for the sake of the challenge. I definitely want PD lengthen and add variety to the career modes and up their AI-game to make the gameplay experience long-lasting and continuously challenging yet rewarding.

They've got the library of cars, they just need to make good use of them.

Both of us :D My lap, his video :lol:

I'd add GT3's Time Attack 10 and S-Licence 8 to the list.

That's the one with the RUF at Complex String right?

I found that one to be too easy, the demo car makes a lot of mistakes through his run.

Did a 4:47 first try.:D

Same with S-8, even the PAL gold time is still several seconds off a good run.

Messing around with GT3 some more, something like the B license MR-S gold is harder.:boggled:

The S3 licence test in GT3 - driving an MX-5 around one lap of Trial Mountain.

I've golded almost all the licence tests in every GT game, but that one I can't even manage a silver... or even a laptime within a second of silver. Despite having only silvered the Brands Senna challenge, it's easy compared to GT3's S3.

That's the one with the RUF at Complex String right?

I found that one to be too easy, the demo car makes a lot of mistakes through his run.

Did a 4:47 first try.:D

Same with S-8, even the PAL gold time is still several seconds off a good run.

Messing around with GT3 some more, something like the B license MR-S gold is harder.:boggled:
After time goes by its so easy to forget the nightmare, but argh the complex string!!!

The Vettel challenges from GT5 is so far the only races/events in Gran Turismo history (i've played every one released for sale) that i couldn't pass/gave up on. I ended up getting a GTPer on the other side of the world to do it for me by giving him my PS+ details and copying my saved game, then doing the races for me. :(

The Lotus at Brands Hatch was quite hard too, but there have been harder ones i've passed.

One I can remember that took countless attempts was the mission race from GT4 using the new merc, all the mercs from years before start off first, in order old to new, you sit on the line for about 2 mins before you can go, then you have to beat them all to the line. Its on the Nurburgring, you are on sport tyres and you can't go off track. One attempt I was actually in first place going under the tunnel on the final straight, thinking I was chasing the lead car still I tried to take it too fast and lost it. I eventually nailed it, just , getting past the final car right before the finish line, that final corner was crucial lol.
Another mission race using the Toyota 2000 gt around New York, you have to beat 5 or 6 cars in 4-5 laps, that was difficult, you had to drive so smooth.

I got gold in everything in GT4, 100% completion. I used a PS2 controller and a 15 inch television from the 1980's that I had as a hand me down from my brother, and had used it since we had our NES. It definitely wasn't impossible!
I used to play on a 15 inch black and white TV with digital buttons on a ps1 controller. I know that feel

Lotus 97T at BH difficult? Really?... Unfortunately I only got to own (and play extensively) from GT4 onwards and the Senna Tribute TTs are incredibly easy when compared to the likes of last S license test in GT4 or Vettel challenge in GT5...

The only trouble I had at first was the fact that for the first few tries at Paddock Hill I kept trying to use the same line I used with the F3, so I kept going wide on the exit...

About GT5, A Spec and B Spec was ok for me. I really struggled ofcourse with the Vettel challenges (I only golded Monza, hopefully I can gold the rest with a bit of luck :P ). Grand tour, the rally one and Nurburgring were tough at the beginning but when I got used to the car, track and everything the gold was ok.

I don't know about difficult, but the RX-7 Cone challenge in GT3 was soul-destroying and annoying.

In GT2, the Super license test with the Alfa 155 Touring Car at Rome-Night (i think). I was in college and I must have literally tried that over 100 times. I don't think I ever passed it, if I recall, the game just gave me a pass eventually. I remember it being some weird ribbon thing, not a trophy in the menu. Did this happen for anyone else? or am I completely misremembering?

I study macro economics in Germany and so i have to work with statistics and empirical methods.
During some spare time i made a small empirical analyses about the level of difficulty in the Gran Turismo Series. Therefor i used the fastest license times of GT3,GT4,GT5 and GT6 from the GTRP-Race-Database ( http://db.gtrp.de )
To define whats "difficult" i took the gap between gold time and fastest time in the database into relation with the target gold time.
So if gold is 1:40 min = 100 sec. and the best time in the database is 1:38 min = 98 sec. the gap is -2%.
This means you can lose 1,2 seconds to the fastest one in the leaderboard every minute and still earn gold.
A number close to 0 means the license is very difficult because even the best players beat the target gold time only a bit. A large number means it´s possible to be much faster than gold, the event is quite easy. For example Gold = 50 sec. and the fastest player achieved 45 sec. the gap would be 10%.

PS: I know there are other facts that make an event difficult i just took this definition because it´s the only measurable one. But if theres somebody who can be much faster maybe the problem is not the event, it could be you :D

The following chart shows all license test of GT3-GT6 and their "gap of difficulty"

Punktvergleich GT3.jpg

According to this the hardest license in GT-History since GT3 would be the A7 in GT3 with a gap of -0,87% or 0,522 sec. on 1 minute. GT3 in fact was the hardest GT-Title with the definition of difficulty from above, also the game is getting easyer with every new part.

For those who can read german heres the full analyses on a german GT-Board:http://community.eu.playstation.com...-Eine-kleine-empirische-Analyse/td-p/21385443

Maybe i can find some time soon and translate the whole post into english. :)

GT4, Mission 34...(full concentration in seven minutes)

This this this.. I remember the first time I tried it.. "What I have to sit here and wait for 2 minutes before I can start??" then one single mistake and it was over. I just... ugh.. nightmares. That's when I learned as a controller user to just let things go and I didn't need a little gold trophy or 100% complete to enjoy my game! :lol:

I think I might be a mutant or something, Only started with GT4 but I have never had an issue with anything on the full Nordschliefe, seem to remember GT4's last S license was gold on my first attempt..... Then again I always had issues with anything at Paris, Seattle or New York instead, couldn't deal with all the 90 degree stuff, I found I could never really get a flow going...... Found GT5 too easy but I'd got massively into rfactor by then, which might explain things.

I see the Skyline Overtake Challenge being mentioned so many times here, but it's actually quite simple - if you gun it, you'll lose it. You have to leapfrog with 3rd place and it becomes ridiculously easy.

I see the Skyline Overtake Challenge being mentioned so many times here, but it's actually quite simple - if you gun it, you'll lose it. You have to leapfrog with 3rd place and it becomes ridiculously easy.

That's one of the ways you can do it, the other way is to bump draft one the skylines and pull out before the turns due to the A.I tapping the brakes.

Two tips I can also give, 1: DON'T go in to 6th gear, if you use Automatic hold R2 to hold it in 5th. 2: Never let go of the throttle. :P

I study macro economics in Germany and so i have to work with statistics and empirical methods.
During some spare time i made a small empirical analyses about the level of difficulty in the Gran Turismo Series. Therefor i used the fastest license times of GT3,GT4,GT5 and GT6 from the GTRP-Race-Database ( http://db.gtrp.de )
To define whats "difficult" i took the gap between gold time and fastest time in the database into relation with the target gold time.
So if gold is 1:40 min = 100 sec. and the best time in the database is 1:38 min = 98 sec. the gap is -2%.
This means you can lose 1,2 seconds to the fastest one in the leaderboard every minute and still earn gold.
A number close to 0 means the license is very difficult because even the best players beat the target gold time only a bit. A large number means it´s possible to be much faster than gold, the event is quite easy. For example Gold = 50 sec. and the fastest player achieved 45 sec. the gap would be 10%.

PS: I know there are other facts that make an event difficult i just took this definition because it´s the only measurable one. But if theres somebody who can be much faster maybe the problem is not the event, it could be you :D

The following chart shows all license test of GT3-GT6 and their "gap of difficulty"

View attachment 165212

According to this the hardest license in GT-History since GT3 would be the A7 in GT3 with a gap of -0,87% or 0,522 sec. on 1 minute. GT3 in fact was the hardest GT-Title with the definition of difficulty from above, also the game is getting easyer with every new part.

For those who can read german heres the full analyses on a german GT-Board:http://community.eu.playstation.com...-Eine-kleine-empirische-Analyse/td-p/21385443

Maybe i can find some time soon and translate the whole post into english. :)
It'd be interesting to see how GT1 and GT2 stack up in comparison, but good luck getting data on that.

Back