When do you think Gran Turismo 7 will be released?

• Thread starter Brainhulk
  • 198 comments

When do you think Gran Turismo 7 will be released?

• Launch title

• Around the time they Sony anounces Playstation 6

Results are only viewable after voting.
I think that initial objective was to make GT7 is a launch title for PS5 when the decision was made to do not make it a PS4 title and to do not release a second GT game neither for PS4.

At this stage Sony should already knows that Polyphony won't be able to deliver in 2020 and should be expecting a spring 2021 release. Unfortunately it will soon become obvious that fall 2021 is more realistic.

Then Polyphony will demonstrate again its project management incompetence and will only be able to deliver an unfinished game in 2022.

My son would like a PS5 this Christmas, he reads these forums occasionally so I can’t say yay or nay but...
If he does acquire one I might be eager to give GT7 a spin when it releases.

I’m not a modern Gran Turismo fan but I did like GT4 quite a bit and this looks nostalgic.

I think it’s a launch title this time.

51c2be3b7b850d324e0ae9b26d458ad58b0181ec.jpeg

When was the last time a GT was announced and unveiled in the immediate aftermath of a nee console launching?

GTHD, yes? And that was supposed to be a launch title with the PS3. It wasnt until cancellation, delays, GT5 Prologue, and further delays, til we finally got the first trailers of GT5.

GT7 probably does not need to be a major overhaul the way GT5 was compared to GT4. The assets don't need to be rebuilt from scratch, or even gotten rid of, and GT Sport has neither taken much away in terms of changing company direction, nor has it used up time and money creating assets that can't be reused or that are just not PS5 standard.

A GT7 can be a GT Sport with next gen graphics, and a fleshed out Gran Turismo mode to capture the spirit of the game that they are known best for, with the same cars and tracks plus whatever additions to this the past 7 years since GT6 would allow them to have accumulated, and still be an excellent launch title. I'm sure Sony would communicate that to them, too, to get consoles off the shelves.

But they would have said something if it was due for release this holiday, wouldn't they? That's the only thing that has me second guessing. But in that case my heart says this year, but my brain says Spring or Fall next year at the absolute latest.

We also have to think of what we're going through right now covid could affect everything even the console release. I still am hoping for a 2020 release but I'm okay for a late 2021 release

GT7 probably does not need to be a major overhaul the way GT5 was compared to GT4. The assets don't need to be rebuilt from scratch, or even gotten rid of, and GT Sport has neither taken much away in terms of changing company direction, nor has it used up time and money creating assets that can't be reused or that are just not PS5 standard.

You could say the same of GT5 > GT6 yet they released a woefully incomplete version of the game at launch because they simply had to get it out then, then took nearly TWO MORE YEARS to finish the advertised features of the game. And even then it was half-assed and probably not their original vision.

I've no confidence of it not being more of the same here. Either release it early and spend 2-3 years actually finishing it, or just release it in 2-3 years.

2021 planned

Then oh, PSVR2 is coming out lets delay it more "cutting edge features"

But seriously, I'd rather wait longer, and NOT a half assed game again. Graphics must be improved since its very early but the content is what needs to be strong.

Not just 6 more tracks then GT Sport from what has been speculated.

I don't think it'll take 2 years to appear like GT Sport did, as far as I can work out that was written pretty much ground up - new assets, new online etc. Clearly a lot of that can carry over and it would seem that they already have a few new car models in their pocket.

What else they are adding though - campaign mode we know, weather ? new tracks (or at least remodelled) ?, updated AI ? I'd assume there will be changes to the physics model to cope with tuning. Tyre models ? licenses ? and how long have they been working on it ? if they started pieceing things together say a year after GTS launched a lot of the structure/features could be there and they're working on graphics etc. On the other hand, if they are only 12 months in we could be waiting a while.

I also wonder what post release support the game would get, GT Sport has been pretty good in that respect, will GT7 get the same commitment ?

Hopefully PD will share more information soon.

ideally it will launch within 6 months of the ps5 release, stay the only gt in that console generation and continue to get updates, so yeah i would love a 2020 holiday but it's q1 2021 most likely

I think the following are planned for launch. The date revealed alongside PS5.

GT7
Demon Souls
Returnal
Ratchet & Clank
LBP Adventures

Spider-Man at Christmas, Horizon 2 in the Spring.

Things can always change. But it’s 3yrs since GTS released. GT7 clearly carries over the engine with additional graphical bells & whistles. It looks close to a release ready build to me. Much of the additional work will have been graphical upgrades and the single-player campaign. Both areas will have been worked on the moment GTS shipped.

Last edited:
I think it could be a launch title since the porting of the entire online mode from Sport makes sense. All the existing cars are modeled at a ridiculous level so they don't really need improved beyond texturing. The campaign menus and whatnot are fairly easy to design...honestly the hardest part of the campaign mode will be designing the AI. That's pretty much why I think it'll be a launch title, because at least half of it already exists in the form of GTS. The car models themselves are excellent and the new shaders and lighting will add a ton of detail. The track quality itself could use an update but again in many cases that can be improved drastically with textures and lighting. That's completely fine with me - the cars models are already at a point where I don't care about them anymore, I just want the experience and customization to be improved. Hell, half the time I can't tell if Scapes photos are real or not - that has long been Yamauchi's goal with photo mode, and they achieved it.

After that, I think we can expect quite a few updates over time. New tracks and cars periodically over the next couple years will definitely be a thing. In these times of digital updates, honestly there may not even be a GT8 on PS5, instead favoring updates or a large DLC for GT7 after some time.

You could say the same of GT5 > GT6 yet they released a woefully incomplete version of the game at launch because they simply had to get it out then, then took nearly TWO MORE YEARS to finish the advertised features of the game. And even then it was half-assed and probably not their original vision.

I've no confidence of it not being more of the same here. Either release it early and spend 2-3 years actually finishing it, or just release it in 2-3 years.
GT6 was a complete misstep and probably a failure as a release and as a game on it's own.

The first GT that wasnt plagued by delays and production issues but one that just simply should not have existed. Releasing after the PS4 on the old console is one thing, releasing with significantly less content than its predecessor is a whole different ball game.

They have already displayed the first example of learning their lesson by not releasing it on the PS4 late in its cycle. They have given themselves less to do, claiming to have produced models for cars and tracks that will stand the test of time.

Ideally that means that all they have done on GT Sport can be considered work already done for GT7 as well. How much more do we need apart from a fleshed out A and B Spec mode similar to GT4 and 5, more modern car and track rosters, and graphical improvements that the nee console will easily allow? The physics engine is already a very sound one that is deliberately meant to be realistic in spirit but not too unforgiving so as to remain inviting to casuals, and the audio has improved a lot since the vacuum cleaner days of old.

It gives me hope, but it also gives me more reason to be even more critical of PD as a developer if they fail to release this in a reasonable time.

I was expecting launch or early 2021, but I didn't see anything that hinted towards a finished game during the PS5 showcase. If it's not coming within the next year or so, then that's a little ridiculous to me (they said they started development for GT Sport and GT7 concurrently). PD really needs to consider hiring another team/opening a third studio.

Gran Turismo is probably the most frustrating franchise to figure out with releases.
(Aside from S397 and the new 3 year old UI)

I understand being bound to withhold information when it comes to licenses, but the actual release date or window the developer has a fairly good idea and should be able to divulge.

The post from another forum was interesting if Polyphony is intending on a launch title there’s no way they could have stamped 11/15/2020 at the end of the trailer. That would give away the PS5 release date.

Then you have developers like SMS that come out of nowhere with a new sim a few months away, or Kunos with an 18 month development on ACC...Or Reiza clocking the same for AMS 2 as we're almost to 1.0. Tremendous.

I know why we haven't received a price on the PS5, Sony is waiting for Microsoft or vice versa. Each is waiting for the other to announce a price first.

I guess it really doesn’t matter as it is coming and I’m not impatient, it just would be very cool to know from a financial view. Meaning Nvidia is releasing Ampere micro architecture Q3 2020 (probably)
Do I put $500 toward that or is GT7 coming in November and I need a PS5 blah blah blah.

Last edited:
I was expecting launch or early 2021, but I didn't see anything that hinted towards a finished game during the PS5 showcase. If it's not coming within the next year or so, then that's a little ridiculous to me (they said they started development for GT Sport and GT7 concurrently). PD really needs to consider hiring another team/opening a third studio.

Once again we are caught in the speculation with no evidence of any sort of release date. It is pretty interesting how we have had supposed leaks of
Gran Turismo is probably the most frustrating franchise to figure out with releases.
(Aside from S397 and the new 3 year old UI)

I understand when bound to withhold information when it comes to licenses, but the actual release date or window the developer has a fairly good idea and should be able to divulge.

The post from another forum was interesting if Polyphony is intending on a launch title there’s no way they could have stamped 11/15/2020 at the end of the trailer. That would give away the PS5 release date.

Then you have developers like SMS that come out of nowhere with a new sim a few months away, or Kunos with an 18 month development on ACC...Or Reiza clocking the same for AMS 2 as were almost to 1.0. Tremendous.

I know why we didn’t receive a price on the PS5, Sony is waiting for Microsoft or vice versa. Show me yours...

I guess it really doesn’t matter as it is coming and I’m not impatient, it just would be very cool to know from a financial view. Meaning Nvidia is releasing Ampere micro architecture Q3 2020 (probably)
Do I put $500 toward that or is GT7 coming in November and I need a PS5 blah blah blah.

what I don't understand is if Gran Turismo doesn't bring out a release date why did Spider-Man put in for Holiday 2020?

Once again we are caught in the speculation with no evidence of any sort of release date. It is pretty interesting how we have had supposed leaks of

what I don't understand is if Gran Turismo doesn't bring out a release date why did Spider-Man put in for Holiday 2020?

That’s a good point, which sadly puts the 2021 crowd up front.

That’s a good point, which sadly puts the 2021 crowd up front.

I also want to go back to the next level racing leak a few weeks ago they clearly knew the existence of GT7. And at the same time they said "what game are you excited for in 2020?". They've also recently announced PlayStation themed seat as well. It might not mean anything, but it is kind of raises an eyebrow. next level racing wouldn't be releasing a new PS themed seat if there wasn't a racing game on the launch list.

I also forgot to add there's a post on Instagram way back in January with the title "why ready for Gran Turismo 7 in 2020?"

Last edited by a moderator:
It could be either launch or 2021. A lot has probably changed due to COVID and there's still a lot of placeholder UI.

Back