Where do you think Horizon 5 will take place?

• Thread starter Populuxe
  • 58 comments

Where do you think Horizon 5 will take place?

• China

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • Japan

Votes: 31 42.5%
  • India

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Russia

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Other Asia

Votes: 8 11.0%
  • Australia/New Zealand/Tasmania (again)

• British Isles (again)

• Scandinavia

Votes: 3 4.1%
  • Western Europe (again)

• Eastern Europe

• Africa

Votes: 6 8.2%
  • Middle East

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • United States (again)

• Canada

Votes: 6 8.2%
  • Mexico

• Central America

• Brazil

• Other South America

Votes: 1 1.4%

• Total voters
Japan would be a great locaton for FH5 but for the element of surprise, Canada or Dubai would be very interesting.

I used to think Japan, but unless they can get Toyota licensing under control, I don’t see the map going there anytime soon. Early to speculate still, but I think we could see Canada as a strong possibility. It’s beautiful and has a wide range of geographical features to it.

Also thinking Dubai because of it’s car culture as some others have said.

Seeing how these guys are it is a good chance it would be South America or Africa. Calling it right now =P Pretty sure they are trying to avoid Asia.

I've said it elsewhere and I'll say it here: NYC (or NY in general). Times Square alone is enough of a candidate. There are decent driving roads here and something to look at every time you turn your head.

Not so much for Horizon 5 but I'd love to see them tackle this.

Hell, if FH4's anything to judge, the entire map could just be a tiny section of central park with nothing but narrow dirt roads.

Uhhhh....let's see.
Australia/Oceania is done, we aren't coming back to it (at least for the time being)
FH4 is set in a country in Europe, and I doubt we would get two Europe games in a row
My gut feeling says South America/Latin America/Africa are out of the equation.

So here are the places I see that are most possible:
Dubai (a lot of car culture, sand dunes everywhere)
Japan (a lot of car culture, switchback mountain roads, and potentially city street races)
Return to Colorado (an expanded version of the FH1 map)
Hawaii (a lot of verticality, varying landscape, and maybe they can do a 1:1 representation of one or more islands)
Canada (would work well with the seasons mechanic)

Uhhhh....let's see.
Australia/Oceania is done, we aren't coming back to it (at least for the time being)
FH4 is set in a country in Europe, and I doubt we would get two Europe games in a row
My gut feeling says South America/Latin America/Africa are out of the equation.

So here are the places I see that are most possible:
Dubai (a lot of car culture, sand dunes everywhere)
Japan (a lot of car culture, switchback mountain roads, and potentially city street races)
Return to Colorado (an expanded version of the FH1 map)
Hawaii (a lot of verticality, varying landscape, and maybe they can do a 1:1 representation of one or more islands)
Canada (would work well with the seasons mechanic)
Canada and Dubai I can actually see as strong candidates now that you mention. I really want to think Hawaii but since test drive did that a decade ago I just don't think T10 would venture to that, at least not yet. But definitely Dubai especially since the track is in Forza 7 and like you said the car culture is strong and plus it's beautiful there.

If people blasted the FH3 map for having no verticality, they're going to love Dubai.
Dubai.jpg

Well, it's not TOTALLY flat, to be honest.

Last edited:
Nice. We have a stretch of paved, twisty mountain road (of course, we all know PG loves putting paved switchbacks on their maps) and some sand dunes, what about 99% of the rest of the map:

4pY63iW.jpg

Regardless, I don't see PG abandoning the season system. You can't exactly showcase that with Dubai.

I really think Japan is the best bet. They can showcase the seasons all while going to an all new region of the world where there is a lot of car culture.

I don't see another European setting immediately after FH4 or North America. Certainly not a return to previous locations. And Hawaii, while beautiful and full of nice roads, was already done in TDU. British Columbia, Canada could be nice. Lots of fancy cars in Vancouver and head north to some amazing roads. South Africa might work as well, especially in the Cape Town area with some coastal roads. But I feel like the series will try something drastic and new for 5 and that could be Japan.

Although, Dubai could be interesting, too. Who knows!

If they're dead set on showcasing the seasons mechanic, Canada would be ideal. There won't be snow in Africa this Christmastime (unless you count on top of mountains like Kilimanjaro).

Just for fun I have started drawing up a concept map for a Horizon game based in Canada, Near Toronto. Though I took a lot of inspiration from Dunsfold Aerodrome for the airport in my concept map, Which is the only part I'v done so far.

Canada or Scandinavia. if they are going to use seasons from now on you basically limit the choices to places that will snow.

It will take place on a Halo ring. Think about it, it would be perfect: Halos have a relatively small surface and already have "hard edges", like a game map, but also have a full cycle of seasons. It would be perfect, and the Warthog showcase set to appear in FH4 is just a test run. :lol:

It's almost guaranteed that they won't go to a place that is even remotely controversial for it's heavily western audience. Just prefacing with that. It's probably going to be a G20 nation, excluding Russia, China, and Turkey.

Process of elimination:
-Europe - Extremely unlikely to return to Europe immediately, after Italy and GB have already been done.
-USA - Possible, but I think unlikely. CO is out. PG seems to like oddball locations (to a degree) so its reasonable to say there are quite a bit of possibilities. I think they'll avoid flat maps, so that leaves areas of Appalachia (call it northern Georgia up through Vermont), the Rockies (been done), Austin Texas area (unlikely), or pretty much anywhere on the west coast. Las Vegas or Hawaii would be cool, but they've been done by other racers in recent years. Don't think they'll go that route. Outside of my actual prediction, I'd say California-Oregon-Seattle would be my next pick. But I think they'll venture much further afield before going back to the USA.
-Canada - Perhaps. Might be too climactically-similar to GB for them to go here for the follow up.
-South Africa - I would rate it as highly unlikely.
-Middle East - I don't think there is enough geographic diversity in the areas that they would be willing to do. Israel/Lebanon, Iran, and Turkey all have enough geographic diversity, but the politics are fraught, to put it mildly. If that weren't the case, Israel & Turkey would be very high on my list of possibilities.
-Mexico - I actually like this idea as Mexico has an incredibly beautiful and diverse landscape, but I really doubt it would happen. Rural mexico is pretty impoverished, and I'm not sure they would want to showcase that.
-Brazil - We got some rainforest in Australia. Brazil would be far different, but I'm not sure there is enough 'teeth' for a setting here. It's a big country, but not the most geographically diverse. Also has the same rural problem as Mexico.
-Chile - I'd argue it would be more interesting than Brazil and the landscape is spectacular. Might be too obscure though.
-Russia - Works for gameplay, but no way in hell
-Southeast Asia - I don't see it.
-Anyplace where China is involved - Extremely unlikely.
-Korea - I don't think so. How would they treat the DMZ/DPRK? Just don't acknowledge it? That would be pretty glaring.

I'm betting on Japan. But it won't be Tokyo. There's no way PG could get even close to recreating even a scaled down version of Tokyo without it being unplayably-unrealistic. My guess would be somewhere like Karuizawa-Gunma area, including Mt Haruna or somewhere on Hokkaido like Sapporo. It is likely to be biased towards being 75-90% rural, like all the other games in the series. This seems to be a design choice based on the limitations of hardware, but also very likely based on schedule. Modeling dense urban environments in a realistic way is extremely labor intensive.

They could do a freeway-only expansion in an area like Osaka, Tokyo, or Nagoya as a nod to the TXR series.

Last edited:
The only thing that's a negative for Japan is it's another RHD Country, given Yankee doodles are the majority of customers I would suspect they would be looking at going back there again but probably a completely different area to Colorado.

I would prefer Japan to anything else easily but everyone was thinking 4 was going to be there and it went someone completely different.

If they where to do Japan I think they should work with a company like Sega to get the most of the Japanese experience though.

Apart from the Obvious Touge roads it needs the Highway Loops and possibly even a real track hidden In the map, like Tsukuba.

Apart from the Obvious Touge roads it needs the Highway Loops and possibly even a real track hidden In the map, like Tsukuba.
Various streets and highways that, when connected together in the right way, faithfully recreate the original Fuji Speedway including high banking, and Suzuka complete with the original 130R corner and all the original layout.

Although I would like Japan just as much as anybody else, I can see Japan being hard to get as a location given all the licensing drama the past few years. From Toyota and Lexus, to Mitsubishi, to many Japanese tracks, forza has had no luck lately so I dont know.

Dubai.jpg

Well, it's not TOTALLY flat, to be honest.

it doesn't change the fact that it's sand as far as the eye can see with almost no flora

after one month everyone will be tired of it, there's no way that they choose Dubai/UAE

Last edited:
it doesn't change the fact that it's sand as far as the eye can see with almost no flora

after one month everyone will be tired of it, there's no way that they choose Dubai/UAE
They could put some Lego trees here and there.

I can't see why the scenery is limited to real word. It's not that any Horizon map represent real word. A horizon USA map would look totally different from the Crew. And it's the same with Ibiza or Hawaii.

I can't see why the scenery is limited to real word. It's not that any Horizon map represent real word.

True, but they are supposed to be a close thematic match for the location they claim to represent. What's the point in setting the game in Dubai, only to add trees? May as well call it something else.

Anyhow, what about Spain? They could easily have a map with Granada, Almeria and the Sierra Nevada - beautiful vistas and a variety of climates.

British Columbia, Canada would be a good shout. Lots of geographic and climatic diversity, plus it would be an excuse to add Canada-specific models like the GM Acadians, a '60 Frontenac, and Fargo and Mercury trucks.

a5e1c6a557da6cfc033987a4de5a6f15-700.jpg

c6c8ddc5b10b27e4ed9583ee6bd1d293.jpg

75122a7eeb03d829cb55e9b50944765b.jpg

Looks like the rightest guess was @Populuxe's and the wrongest was the person who said the series would be discontinued. You know who...

Last edited:
Looks like the rightest guess was @Populuxe's and the wrongest was the person who said the series would be discontinued. You know who...
I should have closed this poll a year ago when Mexico was announced. A couple people came in and voted Mexico after the announcement.

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back