Which is your most hated race/championship in GT3?

neon_duke
If I had more free time, I'd love to see a GT game where no single race was less than 30 minutes long.

Motion seconded, thirded, carried and enshrined in law.

Which race or championship do you hate the most? and which one do you perhap enjoy the most. I am also interested in reasons for your choice.
I personally dislike the yaris challenge on proffesional league first because it doesent belong there and second because it has the most boring and pointless race in the entire game (race 3 Test Course)

cant think of any races i hate, but right now im doing the pro gtwc and im smashing it. its annoying because im in a stock 787b, against an r390 (no real challenge) gt-one (pits and ends up not catching up) and 787b (for some reason its really slow). Its just too easy and boring but i dont want to deliberately use a worse car... the good setup im running doesnt help either (my acceleration due to the 'box settings is way too good)

Some of my least favorite ones:

ANYTHING on Test Course:
What, too hard to put a race on Super Speedway instead? Test course is freaking STUPID for racing. Driving a Toyota Vitz for 10 laps of that crap in the Pro League? No thank you. I haven't really bothered to challenge myself in the pro Vitz race. All I know is that it seems safe to use full power at Route 11. On the subject of actually Test Course, WHY is Like the Wind SO LONG? I'd tolerate 10 laps, but 20? It's freaking boring. Sure, the prize is cool, but if you play the game in any kind of systematic order (I'm a bit too anal about that, for some reason), you probably have plenty of cool cars that are just as good. At least it provides some use for the Escudo, wheelie or not. Why do I need a Super License for this? I can get plenty of cars good enough for this without one, such as the Panoz Esperante, which can be one outside of Sim Mode! No, I haven't tried the Panoz. ROLLING AROUND AT THE SPEED OF SOUND, GOT RACES TO DO, DEAR GOD THIS TRACK IS BORING.

Italian Avant Garde:
Okay, not really. But others have mentioned it, so I might as well. I've only ever cheated my way through this one, souping up a C12S and just wall banging my way to victory. However, I may try it in the race car at some point. Why make a race series where you need a random prize car to stand a chance? With the Formula GT, you have so many random and non-random chances to obtain one, but the Zonda race car, not so much. I'll see how it is with the race car at... some point.

UPDATE:
I should have made this update quite a while ago. Oh well. I ran the Avant Garde in the race car a while back and found it way too easy. Mine had about 140 miles on the odometer (from the Route 11 endurance) and was making 684 horsepower, because oil change. I ran super slick tires (my default choice in the Pro League) and blew everyone away. Maybe I should have just gone with mediums.

Time Trial 10:
Not technically a race, but it deserves a mention. GOD this time trial is annoying. The car is by no means bad handling, but since you're stuck with aids (I don't use them when I don't have to, which is to say almost the whole game), there's a lot more understeer than usual, making the car hard to maneuver around the track. Oh god, the track. I'm just glad there aren't any actual RACES on Complex String. And the test is so LONG. FIVE MINUTES easy. My first time beating it, I not a 5:05, though I have gotten down into the high 4:51s. I do like the other time trials, though. This one, not as much. At least you get a cool car for beating all these.

Tokyo R246 Endurance:
This one is for one reason in particular: It's LONG. The longest individual race in the game, I'm pretty sure. I did it recently in an ARTA NSX and it took be about 2 hours and 48 minutes, almost an HOUR longer than it took me to do the Grand Valley 300 in the same car.

And ones I like!

Polyphony Digital Cup:
Okay, it's long. But I still like this series because it's essentially a (longer) remake of GT1's Normal Car World Speed Contest. You just have so many cars you can enter, and since you can't change anything but tires, the racing can be close, at least in theory. I once did this in a Z Concept on medium tires (As the AI has such a car on what I assume to be mediums) and synced up my pit intervals to the AI Z as best I could. Still too easy, except for winning Route 11 by under a second. But that's because it's Route 11 II.

Professional GT World Championship (In Gillet Vertigo)
This car is awesome. Sure, it's not very powerful, but it's super light, and handles great. It's just like the BP Trueno from GT2, in a way. Running a race like the Pro World Championship in the Vertigo is quite fun, since it's so underpowered compared to the GT-One, R390 and 787B, but can still keep up. Okay, maybe not the GT-One, since it has to pit, but still. You don't even need to mod the engine in most races. However, I did for Tokyo, Route 11 (That was a disaster) and Test Course. I may try this again some time.

And this morning (8/30/14) I did the World Championship with the Vertigo again. Won 9 out of 10 races. I won Test Course by over half a minute, as I widened the gearing all the way, minimized downforce, and maxed out the power. Easily reach 230, and the Mazda couldn't touch me. I skipped Route 11 halfway through, because I suck. Tokyo was the most fun, since it's such a high speed track. Ran a Stage 1 NA tune there, had a fairly close race for a while. Won the Opel Calibra/"Caribra". Ended doing Route 11 in a Toyota GT-One Road Car I had sitting around. That was much easier. Held on to second for most of the race, and eventually started catching up to the other GT-One on laps 6 and 7, and its tires were apparently worn out, as it pulled into the pits after lap 7.

Final Round of Professional GT All Stars (in Toyota GT-One Road Car):
This championship in this car is a bit of a mixed bag for me. In my recent (flawed) run of this, the first three races (Laguna Seca, Deep Forest, Midfield II) go fine, no extra power required. I simply can't keep up at Test Course. At all. Good thing I got an R390 from this (I refuse to accept the Subaru Impreza) in that run. I got second at Apricot Hill, though that was mainly because I screwed up pit strategy. Fair enough. I had a chance at Seattle, but I choked on the last lap, because tire wear, putting me down to 3rd or 4th. Route 11 II and Grand Valley II are pushovers. But the best one of all is the final round, at Tokyo R246. I can safely use full power in this race and not simply blow everyone away. I can get pole by a nice and small margin, and the racing in the actual race is close and intense, since you're never too far away from the Nissan. If only the R390 didn't have to pit twice in that race, it would perhaps make the final lap more exciting.

Also, what is this speak of an Amateur Vitz Race? I don't see one.

Last edited:
Just the Italian Avant Garde as I could never do it as all the AI was in Zonda LM and I sucked at tuning and the best I had was a Zonda S

My most hated would be the vitz race in the professional league. Completely pointless in my opinion.

i found the 1st avant garde easy. then i tried the 2nd. i cannot believe how much harder it is!!
I'm on about the one in Pro league. Very hard as it puts you against LM tuned Zonda's and you cant buy an LM Zonda

oh yeah, i meant the 1st race in the series (rome), then the 2nd (rome ii). I smashed the 1st on Rome Circuit then got smashed on the Rome Circuit reverse. Tried a few times, with setup tweaks etc. Only way to get that LM Zonda before winning avant garde is an enduro (1 or 2 of them offer it as a 1 in 4 chance prize car)

oh yeah, i meant the 1st race in the series (rome), then the 2nd (rome ii). I smashed the 1st on Rome Circuit then got smashed on the Rome Circuit reverse. Tried a few times, with setup tweaks etc. Only way to get that LM Zonda before winning avant garde is an enduro (1 or 2 of them offer it as a 1 in 4 chance prize car)
I am awful in tuning, I can barely do a decent tune on GT5 or 6

I am awful in tuning, I can barely do a decent tune on GT5 or 6
read guides is all i can say. the ingame ones seem pretty good. if i recall correctly gt1's manual has some great tips in all areas of racing, even in real life.

one thing i notice about gt3 is that the race series were a lot more hard-core and also more realistic in my mind. i really miss qualifying. also, gt6's idea of a grueling championship is 5 races... in gt3, that was a mini-championship. also, gt3 had 10-20 laps with pit stops. gt6 is 5 lap no tire wear. still, gt6's championships are better than gt5's 2-4 single races for dtm, gt500, etc

Another race I don't care for too much is the Formula GT. I do enjoy driving the formula cars, but the race is just so boring. The races are long (Especially the finale at Monaco), and they're generally too easy, even in the F090/S, the least powerful of the formulas. You can get some close races occasionally (Driving the F090 at Laguna Seca is a fun one), but mostly they're too easy. Although I probably won't get around to it for a long time if at all, I dread GT4's Formula GT, which is far longer and apparently even easier from what I've seen. I can enjoy driving the car, I just can't enjoy the underwhelming racing.

If I had more free time, I'd love to see a GT game where no single race was less than 30 minutes long.
That has happened it seems, because GT6 doesn't have any endurances, and I don't think any of the individual races break the half an hour mark. Though there are 24 minute times races at Nurburgring, Sarthe and Spa.

Yes, I realize that post is 10 years old.

Last edited:
Any series/championship that has Test Course more than 2 laps is already considered a big no no for me and I've yet to reach the Professional series. Also I don't like series/championship that restricts tuned vehicles because its boring and it will take a lot of time to complete.

I'm going with the usual opinion: Professional Yaris race. It's not really too difficult for me due to pit strategy and setups (you can even lap the field on Test Course with a good top speed-oriented setup), but gets incredibly boring quickly thanks to all the 10-lap races.

Also bonus points go to any one-make race in SSR11 if your car's performing roughly the same as the AI's. Their braking points are way off conveniently whenever they're behind you, and it's not fun when you adequately brake for a hairpin only to get pounded in the arse by three other Skylines coming from half a kilometer away, for the tenth time.

Some of my least favorite ones:

ANYTHING on Test Course:
What, too hard to put a race on Super Speedway instead? Test course is freaking STUPID for racing. Driving a Toyota Vitz for 10 laps of that crap in the Pro League? No thank you. I haven't really bothered to challenge myself in the pro Vitz race. All I know is that it seems safe to use full power at Route 11. On the subject of actually Test Course, WHY is Like the Wind SO LONG? I'd tolerate 10 laps, but 20? It's freaking boring. Sure, the prize is cool, but if you play the game in any kind of systematic order (I'm a bit too anal about that, for some reason), you probably have plenty of cool cars that are just as good. At least it provides some use for the Escudo, wheelie or not. Why do I need a Super License for this? I can get plenty of cars good enough for this without one, such as the Panoz Esperante, which can be one outside of Sim Mode! No, I haven't tried the Panoz. ROLLING AROUND AT THE SPEED OF SOUND, GOT RACES TO DO, DEAR GOD THIS TRACK IS BORING.

Italian Avant Garde:
Okay, not really. But others have mentioned it, so I might as well. I've only ever cheated my way through this one, souping up a C12S and just wall banging my way to victory. However, I may try it in the race car at some point. Why make a race series where you need a random prize car to stand a chance? With the Formula GT, you have so many random and non-random chances to obtain one, but the Zonda race car, not so much. I'll see how it is with the race car at... some point.

UPDATE:
I should have made this update quite a while ago. Oh well. I ran the Avant Garde in the race car a while back and found it way too easy. Mine had about 140 miles on the odometer (from the Route 11 endurance) and was making 684 horsepower, because oil change. I ran super slick tires (my default choice in the Pro League) and blew everyone away. Maybe I should have just gone with mediums.

Time Trial 10:
Not technically a race, but it deserves a mention. GOD this time trial is annoying. The car is by no means bad handling, but since you're stuck with aids (I don't use them when I don't have to, which is to say almost the whole game), there's a lot more understeer than usual, making the car hard to maneuver around the track. Oh god, the track. I'm just glad there aren't any actual RACES on Complex String. And the test is so LONG. FIVE MINUTES easy. My first time beating it, I not a 5:05, though I have gotten down into the high 4:51s. I do like the other time trials, though. This one, not as much. At least you get a cool car for beating all these.

Tokyo R246 Endurance:
This one is for one reason in particular: It's LONG. The longest individual race in the game, I'm pretty sure. I did it recently in an ARTA NSX and it took be about 2 hours and 48 minutes, almost an HOUR longer than it took me to do the Grand Valley 300 in the same car.

And ones I like!

Polyphony Digital Cup:
Okay, it's long. But I still like this series because it's essentially a (longer) remake of GT1's Normal Car World Speed Contest. You just have so many cars you can enter, and since you can't change anything but tires, the racing can be close, at least in theory. I once did this in a Z Concept on medium tires (As the AI has such a car on what I assume to be mediums) and synced up my pit intervals to the AI Z as best I could. Still too easy, except for winning Route 11 by under a second. But that's because it's Route 11 II.

Professional GT World Championship (In Gillet Vertigo)
This car is awesome. Sure, it's not very powerful, but it's super light, and handles great. It's just like the BP Trueno from GT2, in a way. Running a race like the Pro World Championship in the Vertigo is quite fun, since it's so underpowered compared to the GT-One, R390 and 787B, but can still keep up. Okay, maybe not the GT-One, since it has to pit, but still. You don't even need to mod the engine in most races. However, I did for Tokyo, Route 11 (That was a disaster) and Test Course. I may try this again some time.

And this morning (8/30/14) I did the World Championship with the Vertigo again. Won 9 out of 10 races. I won Test Course by over half a minute, as I widened the gearing all the way, minimized downforce, and maxed out the power. Easily reach 230, and the Mazda couldn't touch me. I skipped Route 11 halfway through, because I suck. Tokyo was the most fun, since it's such a high speed track. Ran a Stage 1 NA tune there, had a fairly close race for a while. Won the Opel Calibra/"Caribra". Ended doing Route 11 in a Toyota GT-One Road Car I had sitting around. That was much easier. Held on to second for most of the race, and eventually started catching up to the other GT-One on laps 6 and 7, and its tires were apparently worn out, as it pulled into the pits after lap 7.

Final Round of Professional GT All Stars (in Toyota GT-One Road Car):
This championship in this car is a bit of a mixed bag for me. In my recent (flawed) run of this, the first three races (Laguna Seca, Deep Forest, Midfield II) go fine, no extra power required. I simply can't keep up at Test Course. At all. Good thing I got an R390 from this (I refuse to accept the Subaru Impreza) in that run. I got second at Apricot Hill, though that was mainly because I screwed up pit strategy. Fair enough. I had a chance at Seattle, but I choked on the last lap, because tire wear, putting me down to 3rd or 4th. Route 11 II and Grand Valley II are pushovers. But the best one of all is the final round, at Tokyo R246. I can safely use full power in this race and not simply blow everyone away. I can get pole by a nice and small margin, and the racing in the actual race is close and intense, since you're never too far away from the Nissan. If only the R390 didn't have to pit twice in that race, it would perhaps make the final lap more exciting.

Also, what is this speak of an Amateur Vitz Race? I don't see one.
The Japanese version of GT3 has a different car restriction for the Italian Avant Garde race if I'm correct. Supposedly you are only restricted to the only two Italian race cars; Pagani Zonda LM Race Car and Lamborghini Nomad Diablo GT-1. So in comparison to the US and NTSC-J versions, it seems the Japanese version has a harder restriction on cars due to cars that can be won only on the Mistral 78 Laps enduro.

The Japanese version of GT3 has a different car restriction for the Italian Avant Garde race if I'm correct. Supposedly you are only restricted to the only two Italian race cars; Pagani Zonda LM Race Car and Lamborghini Nomad Diablo GT-1. So in comparison to the US and NTSC-J versions, it seems the Japanese version has a harder restriction on cars due to cars that can be won only on the Mistral 78 Laps enduro.
Is the Lamborghini not buy able in the Japanese version? And aren't there other places from where you win either vehicle? I can remember at lease a couple other places in the NTSC version where you can win the Zonda.

Is the Lamborghini not buy able in the Japanese version? And aren't there other places from where you win either vehicle? I can remember at lease a couple other places in the NTSC version where you can win the Zonda.
Actually the Zonda LM can be won through 4 events (2 from the Professional League and the other 2 from the Endurance League.). My mistake. As for the Diablo you can't buy it since the Lamborghini brand is not present (remember that PD got the rights to add the Diablo through a loophole by asking the Japanese Lamborghini Owners Club (JLOC) for the rights to add the Diablo.). So technically the Diablo has the same case as the F1 cars in GT3 whereas they don't have a car brand. So to get one in the NTSC-J version of GT3, win the Mistral 78 Laps Race.

Oh, some many voted for the Yaris Cup!

I recently started GT3 again, and added a bit of extra challenge to the mix. I try to win the Pro Gran Turismo World Championship, but I can only race championship races on my way to there thus naming it the GT3 Championship Races Only Run.

So only way I could start was the Yaris Cup and because of the challenge I came up with it became one of the best experiences in that game! I think the Qualifying is the key to win the Champs here. (It mixes the grid and if you play dirty you can ruin your worst enemys qualification, by rammin him 💡).

But my answer to the question is those races where you win the corresponding car by winning the races its supposed be raced on (for example Beetle Cup, Clio Trophy, ... ummm... the Pagani Races maybe, not sure though).

Playing through GT3 again, and I totally forgot how obnoxious the Test Course and R11 races in the Vitz Cup are.
That said, the 80's cup in amateur league was awful too, if only because of piss poor handling on the car i picked.

For me. My disliked races are:
Formula GT - Its just too long to enjoy and the high amount of laps just makes this challenge more of a chore than fun.
Like The Wind - Its worth playing for the Mazda 787B but its one of those races that puts my brain into autopilot mode and there is not much input required to win the race once you use the Suzuki Escudo. The rest is history in my opinion :).

Back