Who still plays GT1??

• Thread starter f1king
  • 240 comments
HYBRIDLVR
Gamespot say's Doom 3 want be available til next week, That's strange! I guess there a little slow around my parts...

Doom 3 is available here in the UK, be surprised if it isn't available in the States.

recently purchased a "greatest hits" version of the game... just for old-time's sake ;)

still love racing around autumn ring mini with the silvia K (s13) unmodded...

crosstrainer
recently purchased a "greatest hits" version of the game... just for old-time's sake ;)

still love racing around autumn ring mini with the silvia K (s13) unmodded...

Is that the 1800cc model? Hated that car, slow & heavy, that's how I found it. And not much better after you fully mod it either.

TMM
Is that the 1800cc model? Hated that car, slow & heavy, that's how I found it. And not much better after you fully mod it either.

That same car in GT2 is a lot better, go figure.
And it was my 1st car in GT4. It's a decent car when modded.Now If I had to start GT4 all over again I doubt it would be my 1st choice

TMM

Aww dude, how can you diss the Silvia?!? It was my very first GT1 car. I learned how to race rear-wheel drive in this one!!

Last edited:
those were the days. I remember racing my dad on that game when that game came out. But I never really new what Gran Turismo was all about until GT3 came out.

Calibretto
those were the days. I remember racing my dad on that game when that game came out. But I never really new what Gran Turismo was all about until GT3 came out.

Why until GT3 came out? I thought GT gave good lesson's in car handling and moddification.

uberkid86
Doom 3 is the most horrifying game i have or will ever play. :nervous:

Horrifying in gory graphic details or the game play?

Parnelli Bone
Aww dude, how can you diss the Silvia?!? It was my very first GT1 car. i learned how to race rear-wheel drive in this one!!

I used the sileighty to learn how to drive FR cars, now that thing is quick. Even when you [R] mod the Silvia it's still slow and boring. The S14 Silvia is much better though and I do enjoy racing that car.

Biased turkey
That same car in GT2 is a lot better, go figure.
And it was my 1st car in GT4. It's a decent car when modded.Now If I had to start GT4 all over again I doubt it would be my 1st choice

Is the power or weight different in GT2 than in GT?

i remember when my friend showed me bleem! and that you could play GT1 on your computer. i almost fell out of my chair. even now, in 3D, in 1600X1200 it doesn't look near as good as the PS2 versions. oh well. it's still fun in its own right.

i remember me and my dad staying up late so many nights seeing who could get the best time in the 900HP GTO on hi speed ring. can't remember who won...

Yeah TMM, but a complete novice like myself didn't mind being behind the wheel of the 1800 Q's. If I had jumped into a more powerful car, I would have still played the game, but it would have been more frustrating an experience, especially since I didn't know one could use analog gas & brakes at the time. The Q's is designed for the novice!

Last edited:
Parnelli Bone
Yeah TMM, but a complete novice like myself didn't mind being behind the wheel of the 1800 Q's. If i had jumped into a more powerful car, i would have still played the game, but it would have been more frustrating an experience, especially since i didn't know one could use analog gas & brakes at the time. The Q's is designed for the novice!

Maybe. I can't remember what car I used to learn how to drive FR cars, might have been the TRD3000GT with full mods. I remeber learning to drive MR cars using the MR2, that was a blast. I was racing Grand Valley in the Sunday Cup and I was leading on the last lap going into the first tunnel when I spun and ended up doing a 720 degree spin. So their I was sitting in last place on the last lap and facing the tunnel. By the time I crossed the line I was leading again, didn't think I was going to manage it but on the last corner I blasted past the lead car as it slowed down. I kept the replay, named it Donuts, but I think I have since deleted it.

TMM
Maybe. I can't remember what car I used to learn how to drive FR cars, might have been the TRD3000GT with full mods. I remeber learning to drive MR cars using the MR2, that was a blast. I was racing Grand Valley in the Sunday Cup and I was leading on the last lap going into the first tunnel when I spun and ended up doing a 720 degree spin. So their I was sitting in last place on the last lap and facing the tunnel. By the time I crossed the line I was leading again, didn't think I was going to manage it but on the last corner I blasted past the lead car as it slowed down. I kept the replay, named it Donuts, but I think I have since deleted it.

It's weird that I started with a front - rear car instead of a front / front like the manual suggests. I think my first saved replay was at the Sunday Cup @ High Speed Ring. I named it Speed Freek!

I love watching it and seeing how different a driver I was back then. I used to let my engine go way into the redline bc I knew nothing about power curves. I also took all the corners wrong! But I did manage to win that race in my black Silvia, pulling ahead in the very last banked corner of lap 2! I only put that car in the car wash once, it looks like a sinister death car in that Mad Max movie.

Last edited:
uberkid86
Horriying as in graphic detail and game play and atmosphere its an all around spooky game it's an amazing game though

Humm, might have to get myself a copy of it.

My first starter car was the MA70 Supra. Actually I toyed with an AE86 Levin (or Trueno) for a while, but decided I wanted more power. So I jumped right into "FR" cars.

crosstrainer
reliving my FF days with the wonderful Mitsu Eclipse :)

Honda Civic CRX. It seemed great racing Sunday Cup till I had all the upgrades possible, but then I took it to the FF race.:crazy:

TMM
Honda Civic CRX. It seemed great racing Sunday Cup till I had all the upgrades possible, but then I took it to the FF race.:crazy:

The FF races in GT1 were definitely more intense than in the 2nd game!

Last edited:
Parnelli Bone
The FF races in GT1 were definately more intense than in the 2nd game!

I got no where fast with the car. I tried changing the gear settings but I just made it worse. In the end I gave up on the race and started again.

crosstrainer
i dreaded the ff races then...

i realized that i still don't like em now.
trying out an integra this time.. if that doesn't work, maybe FTO.

FTO should do it OK. I managed in a Demio I think and a Starlet Glanza V.

I think half the reason those FF races in GT1 are hard is because they're on those tough reversed tracks. Deep Forest II....yuck!

In GT2, these races are a piece of cake. The pound to power ratio needed to make your car successful is pretty high, which means that most any popular FF coupe or hatch you lightly modify (even some Kei cars) has a high chance of winning.

Last edited:
Parnelli Bone
I think half the reason those FF races in GT1 are hard is because they're on those tough reversed traks. DeeP Forest II....yuck!

In GT2, these races are a piece of cake. The pound to power ratio needed to make your car successful is pretty high, which means that most any popular FF coupe or hatch you lightly modify (even some kei cars) has a high chance of winning.

Another case of GT2 failing to deliver... The races aren't that bad, practice practice and practice makes perfect. Not that I'm saying I'm the perfect driver, far from it, I'm probably won in cars that were far to powerful for the compition. I'll check my stats tonight and hopefully post what cars I used and the results tomorrow.

SportWagon
One possibility is to use the Normal Series to learn Deep Forest Racing Way II.

Like anything else, it takes practice. Personally, I think by the time I was starting the special races (FF, Tuned, Normal, etc.) I had already raced those tracks the non-reversed direction at least 50 to 100x each. I didn't spend long learning the reversed direction 'cause I was getting into GT2. I'm sure once you get them they're a piece of cake, however I'm still convinced the FF series in GT1 is harder than in the sequel.

Last edited:
I still play it for a laugh. I saw it down at a small shop down the road from my school that sells older games and i saw GT1 for $5 lol so i bought it and i'm doing alright in it accually.

SportWagon

Hummm, I understand where you are coming from but the Normal Series is harder than the FF Series. So shouldn't it be the other way round?

Parnelli Bone
Like anything else, it takes practice. Personally, i think by the time i was starting the special races (FF, Tuned, Normal, etc.) i had already raced those tracks the non-reversed direction at least 50 to 100x each. I didn't spend long learning the reversed direction cuz i was getting into GT2. I'm sure once you get them they're a peice of cake, however, I'm still convinced the FF series in GT1 is harder than in the sequel.

That's so true. I just wish my wife understood that I need to keep practicing to hone my skills for later races.:(

TMM
SportWagon
Hummm, I understand where you are coming from but the Normal Series is harder than the FF Series. So shouldn't it be the other way round?
Well, ways to win the Normal Series are straight-forward; there's no tuning to distract you, and the best cars are obvious. And I found the Deep Forest Racing Way II race the hardest in the series, and, in a sense "disposable" (win all the other races, you didn't need to win it). And you do more laps in the races.

So I really think racing it in that series allowed me to later do better with lightly-tuned cars in the FF series. (Hey, first few times I did that series I would use something like a maxed race-modded FTO or Eclipse!!!)

One place in the course to make up masses of time is at the bottom of the hill; you can take the next two corners practically as one and go much faster than the AI. In the next section a nasty bump going into the tunnel can set you off-balance; learn to anticipate it. The first corner is perhaps the hardest to get right, because its view is obscured somewhat as you approach, and you are going fast, and want to take it fast, but not too fast. But how well you do through that corner affects your acceleration and speed going up the whole hill. The top of the hill is the place I find I have the most trouble with the AI; I want to slow down early and take the corner smoothly, and, if the AI are close, they will hit you in a number of ways, sometimes sending you out-of-control. Other times, however, they will try to pass you on the inside, but then go in the corner too fast, and flub it!!! :lol:

Hmm....

But perhaps I really learned Deep Forest Racing Way II in the Normal Series when I later began trying lesser cars, like used Supra, Skyline or GTO, and getting at least 3rd at that track could be crucial to winning the series by one point (with some lesser cars it was difficult to come first at Grand Valley East II, and so 2nd there and 3rd at DFRWii would be sufficient to beat the NSX, which nearly always got as many points as you let it, by one point).

After that DFRWii in the FF (and the, widely regarded as more difficult, Lightweight Battle Stage) would seem a lot easier.

Latest Posts

Back