Who still plays Need for Speed Carbon?

Discussion in 'Need For Speed' started by Sonygamer455, Dec 29, 2012.

1. Stephan

Stephan Premium

Has anybody tried recreating the prologue Supra? I kinda curious to see how fast that car was during the prologue cutscenes especially since it struggled a bit against Kenji's RX7.

2. ThrasherDBS

ThrasherDBS

Well, I'm sure there are lots of tutorials on YouTube on recreating the prologue Supra.

As for the car's performance, remember, it's a cutscene and the developers can make just about anything happen.

Also, rubber-band A.I. You're not even safe from it during cutscenes.

3. Stephan

Stephan Premium

I'm just curious though. Sure it may be just a cutscene but I was wondering if we can recreate it.

4. Sonygamer455

Sonygamer455

Well as I said earlier, I tried out some of the cheats here using Codebreaker 9.2 on the PS2 version and I want to share what all happened when I used them. That way the PS2 owners that still play the game can maybe get even more enjoyment out of the game than ever before.

All Cars+Hidden Show Up In Car List (Hold R2+X While Accessing it)
    This code totally busted Carbon wide open! When it said all including some hidden cars, it literally meant that. All the collectors edition cars and then some show up in the stock car list. So if you wanted to add the CCX to your "My Cars" list and even customize it, you could along with many others! I tried it in career for curiosity sake (Yes I read the warning) and it crashes when trying it at the car lot and of course the garage. It's unfortunate it doesn't work in career because that would have been pure awesomeness.

Can't Be Busted and tires can't be spiked
    Does just what you think it would do. Works in both challenge series and career. If you're like me and don't want to get busted when going for the higher achievements, this really helps.

Disable Speed Effect
    Those lines that come from your car when driving fast, yea it disables that and it's pretty refreshing too. I never did like the speed effect much when they started using it and the fact Underground 2 didn't have it was another reason I liked it better. Now, I can enjoy Carbon even more now.

Drive Though Everything L1+R1 On/ L2+R2 Off
    Does what it says. However, it's worth noting that if you try to go through walls, it resets your car. I recommend using the other cheat that does it all except going through walls.

Normal/Drift Swap out
    Yea it does it alright and it's fun! :p You have to go to a drift race in career first and then go to free roam. From then on, you will literally be drifting in free roam or in other races as if you are in a drift race. :lol: If you ever wanted to know what it's like to use speedbreaker in drift events, now you can find out! Strangely enough, I was doing a speed trap race with this and it was actually counting my points as I drifted and even said "Hit wall drift ended" while I was racing, but none of that adds up though, you still have to win the race like normal. You can't drift in a normal drift race once it's swapped though.

Unrestricted Car Showcase Camera Rotation and Unrestricted Car Showcase Camera Zoom
    This is pretty cool if you want to see everything around you in the showroom or to even look at the interiors of your cars. (And yes the cars in Carbon have detailed interiors, don't let anyone tell you any differently.)

5. ThrasherDBS

ThrasherDBS

Honestly, I actually enjoyed the speed effect when you go fast. It's a neat little addition that I think is more interesting than just staring at the back of a car for the whole race.

Finished the second run. NEVER try to go against Darius in the GT500, it doesn't even have nearly as much necessary power nor prowess in the corners. Got the Viper again and beat him with that, but it's almost like he stepped up his game from the last run. I wanted to punt him off the cliff after the 20th time.

Well, I've 100% Carbon. Wonder what other game I can play to ease this Need For Speed kick I'm on now. If only Most Wanted 2005 was on PSN.

Last edited: May 27, 2016
  6. Stephan

Stephan Premium

I think MW '05 was available in PSN but only for a limited time. I think Gamestop happens to have MW '05 for sale for PS3 but the graphics are not the same with the Xbox 360 version.

http://www.gamestop.com/ps3/games/need-for-speed-most-wanted/102086

7. Cowboy

Cowboy Premium

I really should play Carbon again. Lots of fun to be had there.

Sonygamer455 likes this.
  8. ThrasherDBS

ThrasherDBS

Thanks for the link! I'm wondering if PSN will still honor that. I'll give my local store a call tomorrow. It'll be a perfect way to treat myself for my birthday I think.

FilipinoGTUser1 likes this.
  9. Stephan

Stephan Premium

Good. Too bad it the one I posted wasn't the Black Edition though.

You know what's challenging about MW '05? Challenge Series #69 (Not counting the Burger King Challenge).

Oh by the way if you need an Junkman part early in the game, try these codes. You will be given a Engine Junkman part early.

Up (x2), Down (x2), Left, Right, Up, Down
    Or
    Up (x2), Down (x2), Left, Right, Left, Down

Hope this helps though.

ThrasherDBS likes this.
  10. JR98

JR98 Premium

I did it recently and found it very easy. Or maybe I'm just getting too good at evading pursuits on MW now...

11. Stephan

Stephan Premium

Heat level 7.....it took me ten tries before finally completing it. Rhino SUVs are really that hard to evade especially in a slow car like the Camaro.

12. JR98

JR98 Premium

Back when I first played MW I thought it was incredibly hard too but now I don't think it's that bad. The bounty gets up to 500k very quickly and if you stay on the freeway and only use speedbreaker on sharp corners it's pretty easy to get away if you use pursuit breakers. If you go straight from the starting point towards Downtown there's a piece of scaffolding on the right as you enter Rockport and if you hit it you can get rid of the Rhino's for a short while to give you time to enter the city to find more pursuit breakers. Or go right and follow the highway to the stadium and use the jump to evade a few more (since the cops usually fail to make the jump). I'll try to make a video of it later today. I actually found #68 to be way harder.

13. Aggserp4

Aggserp4

I still have this game on PC... amazing.
    I remember getting angry trying to do all those card challenges as a kid... I really wanted to unlock that cop car!

WIN_20160527_13_46_18_Pro.jpg WIN_20160527_13_46_33_Pro.jpg

Last edited: May 27, 2016
    Sonygamer455 likes this.
  14. JR98

JR98 Premium

And, as promised, a video showing Challenge Series #69.

First attempt at it today and managed to evade in under 5 minutes. While the cop models are Porsche Cayenne's their performance and tactics are completely unchanged from the base game. Might have a go with the improved pursuit mod (which ramps the cop difficulty up quite severely) although that will probably make it impossible to evade.

15. Sonygamer455

Sonygamer455

I can handle a little discussion about MW 2005 when it relates to Carbon, but let's not forget, this is a Need for Speed Carbon thread. Nothing personal, just don't want this thread to go too far off topic.

16. Stephan

Stephan Premium

How about we just rename this thread to more on NFS Underground Era games discussion thread?

17. Sonygamer455

Sonygamer455

Nah, I would rather keep it dedicated to Carbon.

FilipinoGTUser1 likes this.
  18. Aggserp4

Aggserp4

Which version of the game is this? I recall the HUD being different in the PC version.

19. JR98

JR98 Premium

PC

20. Zibster

Zibster

:bowdown:oh, carbon, how I've missed you. I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who still plays it from time to time

ron24 and Sonygamer455 like this.
  21. Dreadmed

Dreadmed

Well, I got carbon to work on my laptop, and it was progressing quite smoothly (just beat Kenji)... but now I've run into a problem mentioned earlier, any event that takes me close to the beachfront (in Angie's sector) crashes my game.

I've tried downloading the 1.4 patch, but even after I ran it twice (once in the game folder) the game version still shows as 1.2, and the crashes still occur. This is in Win 98 compatibility; Win XP doesn't even launch (disk isn't recognised) and Vista crashes after the EA screen (although I've found that can be averted if you alt tab ASAP).

The only thing I could think of was the CPU affinity (that was a problem with NFSU 2) but it seems to be set to 1 core by default... I'll play around with it later, but right now I'm stumped. :indiff:

22. Sonygamer455

Sonygamer455

You certainly aren't alone, I always find a reason to play this game again because their is so much awesome in this game. A timeless game indeed.
    Looking back, I remember you had the Gamecube version. The same hacker that made those codes to add the Le Mans Quattro to your garage also made and interesting code for the Gamecube version, but I doubt it works in career.
    I don't know what to tell you honestly. :(

23. Dan

Dan Premium

I plan on eventually refurbishing my GameCube, since it's been collecting dust for years now, and the last few times I played it, crashes happened more than once.

24. Dreadmed

Dreadmed

Well, I figured it out, did a bit of searching and found a no-cd crack for 1.4, running that solved the problem and stabilised the (occasionally dodgy) frame-rate as well!

I had to restart the career because the profile wasn't recognised, and more annoyingly, had to effectively start over again yesterday because my race progress wasn't being saved, even though I still had all the cash gathered from said races. I've turned off auto-save and that seems to have sorted that out. Fingers crossed!

Sonygamer455 likes this.
  25. walter4050

walter4050

Carbon was the first video game I ever played. I've spend hundreds of hours racing online and even got one or two track records back then. The servers were always full with skilled drivers and we would chat in between the races. I found so many good friends there. Great times...
    I think it died a couple years ago. The servers still work but there's hardly anyone playing. It's hard to find one with more than two players and even if you do, they're usually not very good.
    If you still got love for this game I challenge you to help me bring it back to old glory. It would be so amazing if I could race on a server with 8 players just one more time. Send me a message or leave one here if you're interested.

Sonygamer455 likes this.
  26. Zibster

Zibster

in my honest opinion, NFS 2017 should be like Carbon. the crew feature is one of my favorite things in the whole NFS series, and I think that Ghost could tweak it and bring it back and it'll work well. also, carbon at least had a more "progressive" story and strong replay value- things that deserve to be put back in the series

Sonygamer455 likes this.
  27. Sonygamer455

Sonygamer455

I hope it goes well! If I get a hold of the hacker again on Youtube, I'll see if I can get him to make a code for the Le Mans Quattro for the Gamecube version. ;)

Glad it is working well for you!

Carbon is a great game. I will be honest though, I have barely played the PS3 version despite owning it for at least 4 years now.

I plan playing the PS3 version when the 10 years anniversary comes around this year. When I do, I may join in on the online action. For now though, I am playing Most Wanted 2005 some (Because honestly Carbon is much funner after playing MW) and then I plan to do the same again for the PS2 version of Carbon. (Just to get a feel for it again before I start playing the PS3 version) So, I will be playing it someday, just not anytime soon.

Yes, Carbon's story was progressive indeed and it's replay value is over the top! Replay value is something I think the old NFS games did better. Like, their are so many things in Carbon that keep me going back to it again and again, it's crazy!

I don't know what NFS 2017 will be, but I hope it's something good.

Zibster and Dan like this.
  28. Dan

Dan Premium

Thanks. I appreciate it. :)

With the direction EA has been taking, I wouldn't get my hopes up. Sorry. :/

29. Zibster

Zibster

just thinking about it, the only problems I had with carbon is the money drought end game and how your crew member always seems to brake in front of you at the most inopportune times. customization was on point, though

Sonygamer455 likes this.
  30. Stephan

Stephan Premium

Well to be fair IMO EA is improving. Sure their greediness is still there but I see now that they're trying to change. But I still wouldn't get my hopes up though.

Dan, Sonygamer455 and Zibster like this.