Who still plays Need for Speed Carbon?

Well to be fair IMO EA is improving. Sure their greediness is still there but I see now that they're trying to change. But I still wouldn't get my hopes up though.

No doubt they're trying to change. Apparently, Origin's customer service is one of the best in the gaming industry. I don't remember the full details, but I think there were a bunch of discounts on popular games for a short time. Their business model with DLCs is one big thing I really dislike. Case in point: Star Wars Battlefront 2015.

After a rocky start, they are still charging $15 for each set of DLC (the only pack out right now is the Outer Rim DLC) and a $50 season pass. Their playerbase is dwindling on PC, so you'd think they want to keep everyone together for as long as possible, right? Well, people who didn't buy the DLC can't play on the same maps in the Outer Rim. Essentially, that splits up everyone. If you want to lock the weapons and power ups to paying customers, fine, but let everyone play on the same maps.

Dan
No doubt they're trying to change. Apparently, Origin's customer service is one of the best in the gaming industry. I don't remember the full details, but I think there were a bunch of discounts on popular games for a short time. Their business model with DLCs is one big thing I really dislike. Case in point: Star Wars Battlefront 2015.

After a rocky start, they are still charging $15 for each set of DLC (the only pack out right now is the Outer Rim DLC) and a $50 season pass. Their playerbase is dwindling on PC, so you'd think they want to keep everyone together for as long as possible, right? Well, people who didn't buy the DLC can't play on the same maps in the Outer Rim. Essentially, that splits up everyone. If you want to lock the weapons and power ups to paying customers, fine, but let everyone play on the same maps.
Not to mention the On The House promo where Origin gives out free games for a unspecified limited time only.

I really hope Battlefield 1 becomes a success. The last time I played an FPS game would have to be Black.

Alright enough praising of EA. Back to NFSC.

there are some people who, by digging through the beta portion of carbon's game file, have uncovered that there was a 4th crew type: persuader, the ability to interchange crew members with other crews and the whole entire concept of reputation, which was used as a milestone to challenge other bosses. really disappointing that the development window was so rushed; carbon could've been so much better

Well, was messing around with the PS2 version of the game and believe it or not, the save game structure is the same as the PC version and uses the same hex codes! :odd: I guess now I can get some hidden vinyls and even add the CCX or Zonda to my garage.

Also, I noticed something with Cross's Corvette Z06. (The one you unlocked from the reward cards) It's body kit looks almost exactly like body kit 4. However, in the back, it lacks those slits that body kit 4 has. So his Corvette actually has it's own unique body kit.

Well, was messing around with the PS2 version of the game and believe it or not, the save game structure is the same as the PC version and uses the same hex codes! :odd: I guess now I can get some hidden vinyls and even add the CCX or Zonda to my garage.

Also, I noticed something with Cross's Corvette Z06. (The one you unlocked from the reward cards) It's body kit looks almost exactly like body kit 4. However, in the back, it lacks those slits that body kit 4 has. So his Corvette actually has it's own unique body kit.

Quick question: Does Cross actually appear in pursuits? I could've sworn there was one incident where he chased me in the middle of a race.

Dan
Quick question: Does Cross actually appear in pursuits? I could've sworn there was one incident where he chased me in the middle of a race.
Yes, however his car is the same as the one from MW. It's not the one unlocked via reward card. Two different paint jobs.

Last edited:
FilipinoGTUser1, you asked about the Supra from the prologue, it's vinyl exists in the game files, but you can only get it through hex editing though. It cannot be painted either.

gsdx_20160628190538.png

gsdx_20160628190600.png

Pardon the bad colors, the Supra is actually black, my settings are a bit wonky :crazy:

Sorry for the double post.

FilipinoGTUser1, you asked about the Supra from the prologue, it's vinyl exists in the game files, but you can only get it through hex editing though. It cannot be painted either.

View attachment 563057

View attachment 563056

Pardon the bad colors, the Supra is actually black, my settings are a bit wonky :crazy:

Sorry for the double post.
So it can't be painted so what's the default color when you do get the vinyl via hex editing?

I'm actually wondering why that prologue Supra wasn't in the game. Is it possible that we were suppose to either use it against Darius or a unlockable car for finishing the Career Mode?

So it can't be painted so what's the default color when you do get the vinyl via hex editing?
I don't know, I haven't looked at it on my actual console yet. Can't really tell in the screenshot due to the colors being way off.

I'm actually wondering why that prologue Supra wasn't in the game. Is it possible that we were suppose to either use it against Darius or a unlockable car for finishing the Career Mode?
Good question. Their are a lot of unused vinyls in the game. Heck, the vinyls to the Lancer, Challenger and Gallardo from the intro are in the game files, but can only be added via hex editing.

See for yourself:

For some reason, the Challenger lacks the white stripe in the video, but I do know you can get the two tone paint job and the stripe together in one vinyl, I have seen it.

I don't know, I haven't looked at it on my actual console yet. Can't really tell in the screenshot due to the colors being way off.

Good question. Their are a lot of unused vinyls in the game. Heck, the vinyls to the Lancer, Challenger and Gallardo from the intro are in the game files, but can only be added via hex editing.

See for yourself:

For some reason, the Challenger lacks the white stripe in the video, but I do know you can get the two tone paint job and the stripe together in one vinyl, I have seen it.

I'm also wondering if those three cars in the intro were supposed to be Kenji's, Angie's, and Wolf's tier 3 cars without the Stacked Deck livery since Kenji drives an Evo and Angie drives an Challenger Concept. I wonder if Wolf's tier 3 car was supposed to be the Gallardo instead of the Murcielago.

I'm also wondering if those three cars in the intro were supposed to be Kenji's, Angie's, and Wolf's tier 3 cars without the Stacked Deck livery since Kenji drives an Evo and Angie drives an Challenger Concept. I wonder if Wolf's tier 3 car was supposed to be the Gallardo instead of the Murcielago.
I doubt it. Especially since the Evo has the Scorpios vinyl.

I have an important question: On the other ports of this game, does Cross still crash into construction equipment in the intro cutscene? I'm talking about the one that is shown the first time you play the game. With the GameCube version, he always did that and it left me extremely confused. Perhaps EA accidentally left physics enabled for this scene instead of going completely pre-rendered.

I have the PS3 version, and I have always enjoyed it with the game's holy trinity of storyline-based cars (the Player's BMW M3 GTR, Cross' Z06 'Vette and Darius' Audi Le Mans quattro) on Quick Race and I enjoy re-playing the career all over again and again (I would always start with a Muscle class vehicle).

Still play it until now, actually. The Z06 'Vette is no doubt among the best cars you can use for Career besides the Mercedes SLR and the R34, when fully tuned as it would be the ultimate track weapon, able to turn on a dime and accelerate away at high speeds, making it a master of the technical circuit and a good car to set lap records in if you're good enough.

Tips for making the Vette the best car in the game:

1. Tune the engine slider all the way to Horsepower to boost speed and acceleration performance.
2. Tune the transmission slider all the way to Top Speed. This will allow the Vette on an automatic transmission to reach 402km/h and over 450+km/h on manual.
3. Tune the tires slider all the way to Grip. This will stabilize the handling (the Vette was somehow classified as a Muscle Car in the game, therefore their handling is a little tricky to control), allowing the car to handle like a dream at high speeds.
4. Tune the nitrous slider all the way to Velocity. This will allow the Vette to accelerate away after exiting corner after corner better than tuning it for Duration.
5. Tune the supercharger slider all the way to High RPM to draw out the potential of the Vette's engine.

Other tips: Just leave the tuning sliders of the Suspension and Brakes alone, they would definitely mess up the Vette's handling.

Last edited:
Dan
I have an important question: On the other ports of this game, does Cross still crash into construction equipment in the intro cutscene? I'm talking about the one that is shown the first time you play the game. With the GameCube version, he always did that and it left me extremely confused. Perhaps EA accidentally left physics enabled for this scene instead of going completely pre-rendered.
In the PC version I think he just crashes through a sign as the M3 had already crashed through all the debris first.

Got the game at Goodwill a week ago for $5 on original Xbox, been playing through it. REALLY want the PS3 version but its so expensive everywhere I go. :ouch: Really? $30 for a decade old game? Can't imagine it being that scarce.

God I'm so desperate for people to race me online. I just don't understand why nobody is doing it anymore. In my opinion Carbon had the best online racing out of any need for speed. by far! well maybe except for most wanted... but anything after that they totaly messed up.

Dan
Dan
I was talking about 7:20. He did hit the yellow construction sign on the hill.
The cutscene itself is pre-rendered, but the vehicle movement was recorded in the actual game. I'm guessing they just scripted his car to drive off-screen and ignored the debris completely.

Last edited:
Yep. PS3 version, beat the game

Here are some of my cars.

No capture card, by the way, so excuse the quality.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

The Camaro is supposed to be the one from the demo. Came out pretty nice if you ask me.

Hey guys I wanna update you on the research community of NFS has shown a lot of stuff, and I have been meaning to show images of Car(Debug) on the PS2 version of Carbon, however the vinyls do exist on the disc such as DEMO_SUPRA and DEMO_350Z.
nfsc_debug_00.jpg
nfsc_debug_01.jpg

You can change the style of your current cars now in My Cars and Career, if they exist.

Hey guys I wanna update you on the research community of NFS has shown a lot of stuff, and I have been meaning to show images of Car(Debug) on the PS2 version of Carbon, however the vinyls do exist on the disc such as DEMO_SUPRA and DEMO_350Z.

You can change the style of your current cars now in My Cars and Career, if they exist.
I had a gut feeling you would post something interesting regarding hacking! :P I saw that video Youtube just recently and I have wondered if it worked in the PS2 version, glad to see it does!

Lately I have been REALLY tempted to play this game again, especially after listening to the soundtrack.

I had a gut feeling you would post something interesting regarding hacking! :P I saw that video Youtube just recently and I have wondered if it worked in the PS2 version, glad to see it does!

Lately I have been REALLY tempted to play this game again, especially after listening to the soundtrack.
Interestingly enough I went ahead to make a code from the pnach file Xan created for the ones that don't have a modified PS2 memcard, I could make the code for the UK versions as well. The only thing is the US code for AR Max users.

The .ELF file works wonders though.

I absolutely adore this game!!!!!!!!! I'm so glad people still play it too. I'd love to race online with folk, by the time I got the PS3 version it was basically dead, so I'm astounded that the servers are still up!

Back