Why are the RUF Porsches so aweful?

• Thread starter westladog
  • 178 comments
So even though it was solely you who made that wrong statement, you really have the boldness to blame everybody else for not correcting your very own mistake? I'm speachless...

It was a little wrong remembering, but not THAT wrong. It was close to the truth. If You guys know the half of what You claim, You or Famine should immediately have said something like: Oh Yore talking about blablabla, it only got no 5 asnd blablabla. But - Nothing... It is OK when one doesn`t know, but is ridicoulous to claim You know stuff when You don`t. Like Famine who just changed his mind on that century final... Fine to be speechless? Let me make You happy dr slump. Your post rtegarding the IRL vid with that Ybird on Nordschleife. - Spot on. Clever words. I`ve seen comments on that famous video like "OMG that insane car is trying to kill him" etc etc.. Nope. He is showing us what he can do with the Ybird. Correct dr slump. I was almost about to write those wordas myself, but You were faster.

Is it funny to be speechless?

Is this your first time on a forum? Quoting someone is the polite way of letting that person know you are talking to them and a way of directly referencing your statements so you know the context of someone's reply to you. It makes the conversation so much easier for the rest of us to follow as well. It's Especially helpful when....someone IS overusing both Ellipsis and CAPITAL letters and it's HARD to follow....their train of thought.

I don`t want to argue with that Famine guy. It will bring no good. That`s why I ask him to stop quoting me...

Last edited by a moderator:
It was a little wrong remembering, but not THAT wrong. It was close to the truth.
While also not being true. Like saying that Andy Murray won Wimbledon this year. Sure, he got to the semi-finals, but he didn't lift the trophy did he?
If You guys know the half of what You claim, You or Famine should immediately have said something like: Oh Yore talking about blablabla, it only got no 5 asnd blablabla. But - Nothing... It is OK when one doesn`t know, but is ridicoulous to claim You know stuff when You don`t.
Wait, it's no-one's fault but yours when you make up a vague fact and it isn't right. How was anyone supposed to know you were referring to one specific competition when just about every motoring outlet on Earth had a "car of the century" between 1999 and 2001? For all I know it was given "car of the 20ieth century" by some magazine in Burundi.

It wasn't until you brought up that specific contest that the 911 didn't win, despite you saying that it did, that it became clear what "car of the 20ieth century" you were talking about.
Like Famine who just changed his mind on that century final...
Again, nope.
That [Widowmaker] was literally what the 930 Turbo was called... everywhere. Even in contemporary literature. I don't recall any contemporary literature calling it "the car of the 20ieth century" (sic).
That's the only time I referred to your claim about the 911 being the car of the century...

Hopefully you won't lie about me again.

I don`t want to argue with that Famine guy. It will bring no good.
That's funny as several members have had long conversations with me from opposing viewpoints...

Perhaps they didn't make stuff up and then try to make it look like they hadn't.

That`s why I ask him to stop quoting me...
I've asked you to stop making things up, to converse like an adult and to stop saying people are "playing stupid" - but you haven't done any of that. Which is odd, as it's a condition of your membership.

Perhaps when you stop talking absolute rubbish, I won't need to quote you to correct it?

While also not being true. Like saying that Andy Murray won Wimbledon this year. Sure, he got to the semi-finals, but he didn't lift the trophy did he?Wait, it's no-one's fault but yours when you make up a vague fact and it isn't right. How was anyone supposed to know you were referring to one specific competition when just about every motoring outlet on Earth had a "car of the century" between 1999 and 2001? For all I know it was given "car of the 20ieth century" by some magazine in Burundi.

It wasn't until you brought up that specific contest that the 911 didn't win, despite you saying that it did, that it became clear what "car of the 20ieth century" you were talking about.Again, nope.
That's the only time I referred to your claim about the 911 being the car of the century...

Hopefully you won't lie about me again.
That's funny as several members have had long conversations with me from opposing viewpoints...

Perhaps they didn't make stuff up and then try to make it look like they hadn't.

I've asked you to stop making things up, to converse like an adult and to stop saying people are "playing stupid" - but you haven't done any of that. Which is odd, as it's a condition of your membership.

Perhaps when you stop talking absolute rubbish, I won't need to quote you to correct it?

You do certainly not quote me to correct things, as I haven´t said anything You were able to correct. It was I (me) who finally came up with that century result. And it was not in semifinal. It was the final....

And what did I really write? I wrote:
The Porsche 911 was in fact the "best car of the 20th century" or something...

See?? I wrote "or something" because I was not 100% sure... So I did not make things up, or lie, or anything else. A REAL Porsche expert would as a matter of course have known that, and would immediatly recognize or guess what I was talking about. Thats OK, but how can You then expect me to believe everything from Yourself and other non-Porsche/RUF experts and take as "facts"?

Converse like an adult You say??? And I`m "talking absolute rubbish" You say? - I`m I`m I`m - speechless :P

You do certainly not quote me to correct things, as I haven´t said anything You were able to correct.
Yeah, except everything you've posted so far.
It was I (me) who finally came up with that century result. And it was not in semifinal. It was the final....
You don't seem to have understood the metaphor for claiming something won something when it actually didn't...
And what did I really write? I wrote:
The Porsche 911 was in fact the "best car of the 20th century" or something...

See?? I wrote "or something" because I was not 100% sure... So I did not make things up, or lie, or anything else.
Yeah, you might want to check that, only you didn't. Here's what you really wrote when you first brought it up:
P911/RUF were only dangerous to proffessional race drivers, who was told by their team TO WIN and push harder.

An average every day driver didn`t have the GUTS to put him in danger. The Porsche 911 was "the car of the 20ieth century"

But...The widow maker...???? Yeah barstooling. Every decent barstooler in the World has "a tonne of knowledge" on the P911 and it`s widowing....
No mention of "or something" or how sure you were. Straight statement - "The Porsche 911 was "the car of the 20ieth century""...
A REAL Porsche expert would as a matter of course have known that, and would immediatly recognize or guess what I was talking about.
Literally no-one could possibly guess what car of the century competition you were talking about from that vague and wrong description.

It was only when you clarified which competition it was that anyone could know about it.

Thats OK, but how can You then expect me to believe everything from Yourself and other non-Porsche/RUF experts and take as "facts"?
I don't expect you to believe anything. You set your stall out very early on when you said you had a belief and nothing would convince you otherwise.

Since you're apparently willing to literally fabricate what other people have said and then retroactively pretend you've said something else, there's absolutely no chance you'll ever accept anything but your preconceived notions, no matter how wrong they are - or how many times you contradict yourself.
Converse like an adult You say??? And I`m "talking absolute rubbish" You say? - I`m I`m I`m - speechless :P
Well that's a small mercy.

I found this, but I haven't the foggiest how/if it's applicable in that context. :lol:

Also...

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/ruf-rt12-r-2012.300261/
I'd guess it refers to the kind of idle arguements, chat guys would have at a bar while sipping lagers of choice. Before Google and smartphones no one could be really sure who was right on any issue.

Anyways, it looks like @light driver has successfully trolled a relatively minor point, would appear to be a barstooler of some repute.

Yeah, except everything you've posted so far.You don't seem to have understood the metaphor for claiming something won something when it actually didn't...Yeah, you might want to check that, only you didn't. Here's what you really wrote when you first brought it up:No mention of "or something" or how sure you were. Straight statement - "The Porsche 911 was "the car of the 20ieth century""...Literally no-one could possibly guess what car of the century competition you were talking about from that vague and wrong description.

It was only when you clarified which competition it was that anyone could know about it.
I don't expect you to believe anything. You set your stall out very early on when you said you had a belief and nothing would convince you otherwise.

Since you're apparently willing to literally fabricate what other people have said and then retroactively pretend you've said something else, there's absolutely no chance you'll ever accept anything but your preconceived notions, no matter how wrong they are - or how many times you contradict yourself.
Well that's a small mercy.

Holy macrel Famine You`re giving me the headache man. I just went through all my old posts. I mention that contest 3 times; in 3 posts. 1. time I write "or something" - 2.time I did not write "or something" (guess I forgot - or something) That was the one You just quoted. - aaand here it comes: 3. time I wrote "or something" again... Really? Yup, I just checked it. So 2 out of 3 aint bad right?

Famine are Yoy some kind of a mad man who are completely lost in unimportant details, who blind You from seeing "the greater picture"? That`s good if You are working on a lawyers office - not so relevant when discussing with me here. I see big lines, big contures, big stuff like "all in all the rumours of the 911 insanity was way way overexaggerated, but there is a little truth in it, but You need to be either completely mooron OR proffessional race driver to ever experience this RR oversteer" - something like that. - Thats my statement, and I`m still sticking to it...Still... Yeah...Just like that...wow

And to all other people quoting me...Very fine folks. It seems I`m the victim for some serious barstooling right now, right here. Thats fine as long as You remember not to lie and such stuff...And please don`t call me a troll. It`s fine You lick Famine in his 🤬 I`ve nothing against that, I`d throw You off anyway if You tried to lick me. All is fine, signing out, not so much more to say....👍 :cheers:

Last edited:
Holy macrel Famine You`re giving me the headache man. I just went through all my old posts. I mention that contest 3 times; in 3 posts. 1. time I write "or something" - 2.time I did not write "or something" (guess I forgot - or something) That was the one You just quoted. - aaand here it comes: 3. time I wrote "or something" again... Really? Yup, I just checked it. So 2 out of 3 aint bad right
Again, you're trying to change what you wrote.

At no point did you mention that it was a contest. You just plonked "car of the 20th century" into posts, unreferenced. Point out where there's a mention of a contest here:
P911/RUF were only dangerous to proffessional race drivers, who was told by their team TO WIN and push harder.

An average every day driver didn`t have the GUTS to put him in danger. The Porsche 911 was "the car of the 20ieth century"

But...The widow maker...???? Yeah barstooling. Every decent barstooler in the World has "a tonne of knowledge" on the P911 and it`s widowing....
- And mr Kaz of GranTurismo thought "wauw let`s make this RUF for the game, and lets make it even more dangerous than it was IRL, hai-hai" (But the 911 (and the later, refined Yellowbird) were never dangerous, insane cars. The Porsche 911 was in fact the "best car of the 20th century" or something...

So the final answer to mr OPs question will be "because mr Kaz wants these cars to be "true" to their history" and thereby contributing to the false, barstool reinforced myth of the 911/RUF :odd:
Oh yes, nowhere.

Again, no-one could have been expected to know that you were talking about the 1999 Car of the Century award in Las Vegas where the 911 came 5th from this pair of wholly vague statements about the 911 being the car of the 20th century... It was only when you said that you were talking about that particular award that it became clear.
Famine are Yoy some kind of a mad man who are completely lost in unimportant details, who blind You from seeing "the greater picture"? That`s good if You are working on a lawyers office - not so relevant when discussing with me here.
And not relevant at all.

Once again, you're trying to turn the discussion onto the people having it and not the discussion itself.
I see big lines, big contures, big stuff like "all in all the rumours of the 911 insanity was way way overexaggerated, but there is a little truth in it
Which is all anyone has said since the start...
but You need to be either completely mooron OR proffessional race driver to ever experience this RR oversteer" - something like that. - Thats my statement, and I`m still sticking to it...Still... Yeah...Just like that...wow
"Still"? How can you "still" be sticking to it when you've only just made it?

It's also not true. The fact is that the 911's layout is not normal in the car industry for a performance car - it was normal for 30-60hp microcars in the 1960s and the VW Beetle for... ever, but not performance cars. They couldn't be driven like normal road cars and when suddenly rich kids with little driving experience bought a 930 turbo and tried to drive them like normal road cars, they crashed them.

It's not specifically the car's fault as, provided you adapt to the layout as Vic Elford suggests, they're extremely good - but most people don't think like that. BMW did a survey once of first generation 1 Series owners and found an overwhelming majority thought that the car was front-wheel drive. This is something that could have major consequences for them, not just in driving dynamics, but in adverse weather or even towing and the people who bought them don't know about it.

Now you'll go "huh well BMW drivers are just show offs and total moorons", but they are no different than the car-ignorant yuppies who bought 930s. That's why they crashed them - they didn't take account of the peaky turbo or the rear-engine, rear drive layout because they didn't know about them, regardless of how smart you think they were because they were wealthy. They were just expensive fast cars to them and they tried to drive them like they'd driven whatever car they had before. That's also what the WSJ article you linked to - asking why young, rich, famous people keep crashing 911s - says.

That is why the contemporary press called the car the Widowmaker - and it has nothing to do with bars. Or stools.

image_2670.jpg

@light driver It's common knowledge that early 911s can be very tricky to drive, especially the turbocharged variants. And even if you didn't know what almost everybody else already knew, have a think about it. It's basic physics: the car has a high polar moment of inertia with most of its mass at the rear. Once the rear wheels exceed the friction offered by the road surface the car begins to rotate due to the imbalance of forces acting on the car. And once the car begins to rotate the high polar moment of inertia means that it takes a lot more force to reverse this motion. Which means, essentially, that if boost hits mid corner and the rear wheels start to lose traction, the back end will lose grip and the car is likely to spin, much more so than a FR or MR car.

It seems I`m the victim

You made yourself the victim with your attitude towards Admin and site members

Thats fine as long as You remember not to lie and such stuff

So facts are now lies? well you learn something new everyday.

And please don`t call me a troll.

Truth hurts doesn't it?

It`s fine You lick Famine in his 🤬 I`ve nothing against that, I`d throw You off anyway if You tried to lick me. All is fine, signing out, not so much more to say....👍 :cheers:

No A** licking going on, just agreeing with the facts you seem to ignore.

So facts are now lies? well you learn something new everyday.

Facts have been rather creatively interpreted all over the place in this thread. It's unfortunate that light driver decided that the best response to someone questioning him was to dig himself deeper and then try and flip his argument, but that's a somewhat separate thing from everything else going on.

Lot of complains about handling..
People should first try to drive it as it was real car, no overlapping brake and throttle, no gear changes in corner, going with clutch, slow as it was your life on risk if crashing. No flooring throttle, unless car is pointing safely on straight etc.
After these even stock CTR/BTR starts to stay on track.
When it's on hand using standard driving techniques then start to learn something more advanced. Word of warning, trail-braking Porsche/RUF is not easiest thing, trail-braking from higher speeds is something what you probably don't do on real life, or you do it once, if living after that you won't do it again with Porsche.

There was quote from my quick opinion/review of one @Ridox2JZGTE replica, there is only one problem, it's using custom gearbox so using clutch with it is not possible, but driving with it is still pretty fun. You should first try it with CM tires to learn avoiding throttle flooring, then you go on CS for having more fun and when that stays in hand jump to SH and beat Helmut time on Nordschleife, it can be achieved also on CS at least I can beat it with them.

Here is one casual lap with that replica, driving more as fun than lap time. Using CS tires.

I'd never driven a RUF,but after reading this thread I thought i'd get a Yellowbird,head to the Nurburgring and see what all the fuss was about.
Well what a cracking little car,I left it 100% stock and took @OdeFinn's advice and drove it like my own car-ie if I stacked i'd have to pay for repairs,hospital treatment etc,but by taking it easy and getting a feel for it,its a real fun car to drive-I can see it becoming one of my favourites to take out for a blat around now and again.
Strangely my first lap timed out at 9'11.xxx...spooky :lol:
Carry on...

Last edited:
Back