Why haven't you gotten a wheel yet?

• Thread starter 6nin36
  • 346 comments
Definitely in the market for one. I've only had this game for 2 weeks but have determined that I need a wheel to get the most out of it and have the most fun. Waiting to see if PD does any updates for the Logitec wheels while at the same time waiting for the impending christmas sales in the next month or so. I can build my own sim racing rig so I'll save money there. I don't think that you necessarily need a wheel to have fun with this game or be fast....but I think it'll only increase the fun factor while making me faster in the process. Currently eye-balling the Thrustmaster T-GT wheel

Definitely in the market for one. I've only had this game for 2 weeks but have determined that I need a wheel to get the most out of it and have the most fun. Waiting to see if PD does any updates for the Logitec wheels while at the same time waiting for the impending christmas sales in the next month or so. I can build my own sim racing rig so I'll save money there. I don't think that you necessarily need a wheel to have fun with this game or be fast....but I think it'll only increase the fun factor while making me faster in the process. Currently eye-balling the Thrustmaster T-GT wheel

After starting sim racing with GT5 I lasted 2 weeks before deciding that my hands were simply too big and clumsy for a controller and as I drive a car in real life with a wheel that I must play the game with a wheel. I spent about £80 getting a Logitech DFGT from Argos. At the time it seemed like a ridiculously large amount of money for a game controller and I'm sure I didn't tell my wife the true cost!

The wheel transformed my enjoyment of the game and in my life it quickly transitioned from game to hobby. There were a few hiccups along the way until I finally coughed up more money and got a good stand (Wheelstand Pro) which was infinitely adjustable and so prevented any back, shoulder and arm ache etc. I can't stress the importance enough of budgeting for a suitable stand or rig.

It isn't essential to have a full rig - I don't have the room (and I think it would be a step too far for my long suffering wife and family!). My stand is easy to move, folds when necessary and looks good enough to leave in the sitting room most of the time and just move out of the way of the TV when required. It can also be easily transported complete with wheel and pedals to a friend or relatives house - the wheel and pedals are very popular with younger and older relatives over the Christmas period and helps make dull Boxing Day's more fun!

I wouldn't recommend a T-GT as a starter wheel - the old DFGT was more than enough wheel for most users (and was also used by many of the world's fastest virtual racers) and the modern starter wheel - the Logitech G29 should be ample for at least the first couple of years use, if not longer.

Personally I wouldn't wait till Christmas - the Black Friday sales are just around the corner (November) so if I was in the market for a new wheel I would get one (and a stand!) then.

It's my go to excuse for not being faster. If I get a (better) wheel, I have nothing to blame except myself. :dunce:

The G29 is on sale this week in Canada at BestBuy and Amazon. $299. Which is the price I have been waiting for. But I'll probably miss out again.

Many reasons for me, I don't really want one myself, but none more deadly than 'that' look from the Mrs anytime I do mention/look at one, lol.

Honestly though, don't feel I need it just yet, soon probably, but many still play on controller and I know my times/abilities aren't that far off to need one, lol. And I just don't play this one game enough in any given session. Granted, against the aliens, no hope. But the average race was all good and I always felt I was competitive, until the bumping and gaming of penalties/DR ranks etc start up. By then, didn't matter if I used blind faith, the race was gone, lol.

Do feel it's a growing gap though that should be kept to a minimum. I hope either wheel users are split away if they get significantly quicker naturally, or the developers of such equipment keep control pad users in mind and not make these things that much quicker by default just to drive up sales and cash in...

But this is modern gaming, lol. Half-ass games for AAA prices, special editions, season passes, recurring spending hooks, loot boxes, grinding, pay to win, it's all the rage. Uugh.

I know winning isn't everything, but to learn that it'll basically only happen if I spend more or lower myself to exploitative measures, completely undermines the entire purpose of the game, lol (any game really). Knowing I at rank D/C/B am to race A/S racers, OR to be against a known good driver that 'tanked' their rating and qualified a good chunk of time faster than the lower ranked racers paired up with me/us, literally just screams 'nope, not this time either pal' It's ridiculous how players do this, IMHO.

Steering wheel or not, when a game is so weak/broken it's like this frequently (or by the developers own hand with poor BoP points/penalty systems or whatever). The problems are far more troublesome than a tenth on that corner with a wheel, lol.

Anyway, simply put. If the game is done right then it just don't matter what others do and maybe folk would race rather than care what others do. Too much of that in gaming too, lol.

Steering wheel does not make you quicker, there are aliens on pads.

Yes your more likely to find aliens on wheels, thats just because most have made the switch already, but expecting a wheel to give you more pace is unrealistic. The method is still the same, its the inputs that change. There are pros and cons for both.

It's my go to excuse for not being faster. If I get a (better) wheel, I have nothing to blame except myself. :dunce:

The G29 is on sale this week in Canada at BestBuy and Amazon. $299. Which is the price I have been waiting for. But I'll probably miss out again.

Go for it - it's about enjoyment - if you think a wheel will increase your immersion / sense of realism then go for it, but it won't necessarily make you quicker. The faster you are already, the less difference it makes to your speed and the longer it takes to adjust. If you are absolutely hopeless with a controller like I was then it will make you quicker straight away.

Steering wheel does not make you quicker, there are aliens on pads.

Yes your more likely to find aliens on wheels, thats just because most have made the switch already, but expecting a wheel to give you more pace is unrealistic. The method is still the same, its the inputs that change. There are pros and cons for both.

This is spot on!

Talent and practise is what makes people quick not wheel use. I have been racing with a wheel for eight years and I am still slower than many of my friends who use pads - that is because I don't have as much talent as them - it's sad, but we can't all be Lewis Hamilton!

I’d say that’s optimistic, your also dismissing wheels that dont go the distance for whatever mechanical fault. Then there’s also the issue moving forward that wheels bought now will be compatible with the next gen console.

Having said all of that even in the worst case scenario I still agree that when considered over time, the fun a wheel brings to console racing is well worth the currency you pay for it.

Got my DFGT to last 8 years with just minor fixes (paddle shifter switch replacement, careful cleaning of the pedals) and maintenance (cleaning with soft detergent solution once a month, regular vacuuming of the pedals) from GT5P through to the end of GT6. $200 over 8 years... $25 a year. One bargain game title's cost per year.

TBH, if I hadn't got my T150Pro before I knew about the conversion dongle (Drivehub) I might still be rocking that wheel for even longer..! But I have to say, I'm digging the T150Pro's pedal set. MUCH better than the DFGT pedals.

Careful mounting of a wheel and good technique (rotation only, not pulling and pushing and wrenching!) will minimize your odds of failure. And all things break occasionally. You don't factor it into a TCO unless you know it WILL...

When we all drive cars with joysticks IRL, I'll use a pad in a game..!

Got my DFGT to last 8 years with just minor fixes (paddle shifter switch replacement, careful cleaning of the pedals) and maintenance (cleaning with soft detergent solution once a month, regular vacuuming of the pedals) from GT5P through to the end of GT6. $200 over 8 years... $25 a year. One bargain game title's cost per year.

TBH, if I hadn't got my T150Pro before I knew about the conversion dongle (Drivehub) I might still be rocking that wheel for even longer..! But I have to say, I'm digging the T150Pro's pedal set. MUCH better than the DFGT pedals.

Careful mounting of a wheel and good technique (rotation only, not pulling and pushing and wrenching!) will minimize your odds of failure. And all things break occasionally. You don't factor it into a TCO unless you know it WILL...

When we all drive cars with joysticks IRL, I'll use a pad in a game..!

I dont disagree, just feel that for those who are thinking about buying a wheel that consideration needs to be had that not all wheels go the distance.

I cannot FATHOM how a wheel does t make you quicker. Controller inputs are not as smooth or linear, long arcing corners just have to be easier surely. Not to mention consistency.

It is entirely possible to be equally as smooth with a pad, I was before I switched to a wheel. Consistency doesn’t come with which input medium you choose, that’s down to practice.

Yes its true that some corners will be easier with a wheel but also the same is to be said about a controller.

The skill set and coordination is completely different with whichever medium is used, and through practice each other can be matched.

Pace does not come from a wheel, pace comes from understanding weight transfer, from learning which line is quickest, from understanding where time is most lost and then working to understand how to prevent it, from searching where the grip limit is.

None of this comes from using a wheel, its not any easier.

The question that needs to be answered is why choose to use a wheel, it really boils down to which is more fun.

I'm calling BS. I'm sure there is a learning curve with going from a pad to a wheel.....but I'm positive its a WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY steeper learning curve then getting good with a pad. Consistency in corners is the biggest one that stands out to me. Its a leverage thing... you'll be way more consistent in long arcing corners simply because of the leverage you have with a wheel compared to the very finite motions that your least dexterous fingers have to make on a tiny joystick. I watch my replays and I'm starting to see where I'm losing time. Yes, some of it is from me not taking the best lines but MOST of it is coming from me scrubbing speed trying to make small adjustments and/or oversteering out of the exit of corners because I don't have the touch to arc out of corners with my thumbs. Its very difficult to get a consistent flow with a pad. There are some very good pad users out there but there's little doubt in my mind that all of them have little nancy-boy piano playing fingers and thumbs. For the rest of us men, a wheel is a very logical upgrade

Didn't have a wheel yet because I still don't have the system to play the game. I do have an older wheel though.

Then you will be really disappointed when you buy a wheel and it doesn’t magically, yes magically give you time.

Its an enormous common misconception that pad users believe they will be faster from just using a wheel.

It worked for me and changed my driving completely, so it’s most certainty a case by case thing.

I'm calling BS. I'm sure there is a learning curve with going from a pad to a wheel.....but I'm positive its a WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY steeper learning curve then getting good with a pad. Consistency in corners is the biggest one that stands out to me. Its a leverage thing... you'll be way more consistent in long arcing corners simply because of the leverage you have with a wheel compared to the very finite motions that your least dexterous fingers have to make on a tiny joystick. I watch my replays and I'm starting to see where I'm losing time. Yes, some of it is from me not taking the best lines but MOST of it is coming from me scrubbing speed trying to make small adjustments and/or oversteering out of the exit of corners because I don't have the touch to arc out of corners with my thumbs. Its very difficult to get a consistent flow with a pad. There are some very good pad users out there but there's little doubt in my mind that all of them have little nancy-boy piano playing fingers and thumbs. For the rest of us men, a wheel is a very logical upgrade

Not to mention the gas, surely you've got more travel and more finesse with pedals than the pad?

I must confess i use the X and square and the D-pad :embarrassed:

Not to mention the gas, surely you've got more travel and more finesse with pedals than the pad?

I must confess i use the X and square and the D-pad :embarrassed:

Make the change to the sticks.

But again more finesse, more travel doesn’t just give you speed, you need to learn how to use it and again this can be replicated on a pad its not any easier to be precise with your feet.

Lets just mention one elephant in the room, it is unspeakably easier to catch an oversteer moment on a pad than it is a wheel, the amount of movement required to catch is huge compared to a flick of a thumb.

Just watch the recent GT live shows the players aren’t just thrashing the wheel back and forth for the fun of it, thats required to keep it in a straight line. Like I said pros and cons, but speed doesn’t just come from buying a wheel and plugging it in.

When did you buy your wheel?

Edit:

What in your driving did it change?

I bought one almost five years ago. The biggest difference I saw was how immersive and realistic it made the game, which translated into it being more accurate all around. There’s a realistic turning radius (and most likely a bigger one), you can have more accurate reactions since you’re using two hands instead of two thumbs which means more control overall as well, inputs are more precise, and the fact that you can 100% control the gas and brake pedals is a game changer (heel-toe, left foot braking, etc).

There was a learning curve for sure and it took me a few weeks to get used to it, but I could never go back to a controller. My lap times definitely got faster because of the complete control over the cars I now had, and using a wheel just felt more natural.

I bought one almost five years ago. The biggest difference I saw was how immersive and realistic it made the game, which translated into it being more accurate all around. There’s a realistic turning radius (and most likely a bigger one), you can have more accurate reactions since you’re using two hands instead of two thumbs which means more control overall as well, inputs are more precise, and the fact that you can 100% control the gas and brake pedals is a game changer (heel-toe, left foot braking, etc).

There was a learning curve for sure and it took me a few weeks to get used to it, but I could never go back to a controller. My lap times definitely got faster because of the complete control over the cars I now had, and using a wheel just felt more natural.

So it didn’t change anything in your driving other than you feel more in control?

Edit: How far off in seconds were you on GT6 leaderboards were you with a pad?

Last edited:
What are the Direct Drive people on about when they say it made them quicker?

Just slightly I think, but some claim faster with a DD wheel.

I'd like to see whats up with a DD wheel, but over $1k is up there.

My opinion is a wheel increases consistency and ability to race clean.
It’s so intuitive.
The ffb is so good too at letting you know what the cars doing.
The best race game out! Get one!:cheers:

So it didn’t change anything in your driving other than you feel more in control?

Edit: How far off in seconds were you on GT6 leaderboards were you with a pad?

No, I mentioned at the end of that post that my times got faster. All of those things made me a quicker and more consistent driver. I was able to be more smooth and fluid with my movements which caused an increase in speed. If it means anything, I turned TC off and started using manual transmission exclusively soon after getting the wheel and I got even faster.

I don’t remember my exact times since I didn’t really get hardcore into sim racing until I got a wheel, but I know for a fact I was quicker. I always did time trials around Nurburgring and definitely felt a difference going to a wheel. There’s no way I’d be able to get the lap times I get now on a wheel with a controller.

What are the Direct Drive people on about when they say it made them quicker?

Just slightly I think, but some claim faster with a DD wheel.

I'd like to see whats up with a DD wheel, but over $1k is up there.

The best thing about DD wheels is you've got more more torque than you can handle and there's no latency from the feedback. Unlike consumer grade belt or gear driven wheels that have tiny delays sending you the info while they tighten up.

Instant reaction from the hardware giving you the best chance of reacting to what's happening with your car.

There's no doubting how good they are but you really need to be into your sim racing to invest in one. Personally, I'm fine with my G29. I can blame it for all of my crashes.:lol:

There was a learning curve for sure and it took me a few weeks to get used to it

I've come from being an over driving pad user to using a wheel and it's taken me 7 months to match my pad pace. I had next to no experience to carry over so was crashing constantly and had to start from scratch just to learn how to control the car again. It was that bad, I stayed away from sport mode for 3 months. I was a liability.:embarrassed:

I'm still not fast (2 seconds off top times) but I've got a nice level of car control to consistently test my limit whenever I feel like it or safely go wheel to wheel. The total opposite of my pad use with all my long term bad habits and twitchy steering.

If only I bought a wheel 10 years ago...:rolleyes:

Then you will be really disappointed when you buy a wheel and it doesn’t magically, yes magically give you time.

Its an enormous common misconception that pad users believe they will be faster from just using a wheel.

I don't think anyone is saying that a wheel is going to magically make you better. Like everything, its a learning curve. I just know that it'll be a much steeper learning curve, and most importantly, a lot more fun to get good with a wheel.

Alright, been reading and watching a lot of reviews on different wheels. Someone talk to me about the Fanatec CSL elite starter package. I know, I know.....I don't need a wheel like this but let me justify it (because justification is key to rationalizing all of life's poor decisions :D). Logitec g29 is $250ish on amazon. A wheel stand pro is $180. A cheap sim rig is in the high $200s. So if I went with the cheapest "decent" wheel option with a basic rig thats good enough to get the job done, I'm looking at a minimum of $430. Or I can go to a junkyard and pick up a seat for probably $20, then scrounge through my metal pile and weld up something exactly how I want it for free. Not to mention I decided to redo my lawn by using seed instead of buying sod so I saved probably $500 bucks on that. Like I said....its all about justification :lol:.

Anyways, I've read nothing but good about the Fanatec wheels. Someone talk me into it or out of it

Last edited by a moderator:
^ When i upgraded from T150, i bought the more expensive CSL Elite over T300 due to these facts: If i went with the T300 i'd get the exact same toyish pedal set i already have -> upgrading pedal set would still be cheaper than the CSL, but then i'd have a clutch pedal without shifter -> Complete H-patter setup with little extra money, but then i'd need a new rig aswell. (I'd end up with one extra wheel stand and two useless pedal sets)
T300RS GT & Ferrari edition both without the shifter cost near the same as the CSL Elite, which is much newer.

Last edited:
I don’t have a wheel yet simply because my current room isn’t big enough. Moving house very soon, and my new room will be big enough for one so I’ll probably have a set up by 2020. (Hopefully!)

Does mudrunner on PS4 have wheel support yet?

I didn't see anybody reply to you (maybe I missed the response), but yes it does, although you will need to use both the wheel and controller at the same time due to button configurations. It takes some time to learn the controls because the game poorly explains them for wheel users but it is worth it eventually

^ When i upgraded from T150, i bought the more expensive CSL Elite over T300 due to these facts: If i went with the T300 i'd get the exact same toyish pedal set i already have -> upgrading pedal set would still be cheaper than the CSL, but then i'd have a clutch pedal without shifter -> Complete H-patter setup with little extra money, but then i'd need a new rig aswell. (I'd end up with one extra wheel stand and two useless pedal sets)
T300RS GT & Ferrari edition both without the shifter cost near the same as the CSL Elite, which is much newer.

Any reliability issues? I literally haven't read a bad thing about it yet

Back