Why haven't you gotten a wheel yet?

• Thread starter 6nin36
  • 346 comments
Initially I went with t80. Game looked cool, and I knew noway would I be able to use controller, since the last thing I was good at on controller was ridge racer on ps1?2?
Anyways, that lasted about a month then I went with ffb. Ffb felt weird at first but the longer I played the more I got out of it. I’m no alien nor will I be. I went from bumper to hood and now only cockpit. I have my reasons.
Anyways, the thing about it is if you don’t have a wheel, you may be thinking you need to buy a rig or special seat which adds to the expense.
I use a regular chair and my mount is c clamps and a piece of wood. Old surround sound and old 40 inch lcd.
Wheel was pricey, but so well worth it IMO.
I’d heard so much about AC that I picked it up for 20 bucks too.
Now...sensitive subject but my take on AC is that there is more ‘stuff’ or ‘noise’ in the force feedback. You have to play with the settings to filter it to where you are receiving the pertinent info. I’m sure many feel this is advantageous, but to me it’s well, I’m not gonna comment. I will say this though, I’m pretty sure the Nurb gp track isn’t littered with ruts like an off road track. Feel wise is that what is more realistic? Honestly don’t know never driven it. Also I’ve noticed several times in AC that the game on console seems to decide at certain points that you are outta there and will not allow correction-your car just goes off after you make a mistake. I do like Silverstone and a couple of the Italian tracks, and the ai has more personality than GT Sport. AC is an ok game.
I have not had the experience that I’ve read that it’s this amazing ffb experience though, not at all.
My experience with AC really makes me question whether I even want to try Project Cars.
Sorry, off topic.
In closing if you can afford a good wheel get a good wheel with ffb. Not only for GT Sport for the other games too. Even if you don’t prefer other games, you can still play them too.
Also, I don’t set up the ffb strength to be what I would term real. I set it up in GT Sport with sens 10 and torque like 2 or 3. The coolest thing about it is feeling the tremendous difference between driving say a 2000gt Toyota vs like an rs 01 Renault.
Also, you don’t need to do left foot braking. Yes, obviously I would say it’s optimal if you have the coordination, but there’s no way after over forty years of driving that’s gonna change for me. At certain times, I’d say what I do there gives me a disadvantage, but it also has advantages too like how intuitive it is.
My opinion is that if you are on the fence just do it. I’m definitely not bored yet and for me the risk of it breaking is worth it. If my t300 fails catastrophically I’ll spend the money to buy a new one immediately.
If you factor in time you use it, price for amount of entertainment it’s a very hard to beat investment imo.

Initially I went with t80. Game looked cool, and I knew noway would I be able to use controller, since the last thing I was good at on controller was ridge racer on ps1?2?
Anyways, that lasted about a month then I went with ffb. Ffb felt weird at first but the longer I played the more I got out of it. I’m no alien nor will I be. I went from bumper to hood and now only cockpit. I have my reasons.
Anyways, the thing about it is if you don’t have a wheel, you may be thinking you need to buy a rig or special seat which adds to the expense.
I use a regular chair and my mount is c clamps and a piece of wood. Old surround sound and old 40 inch lcd.
Wheel was pricey, but so well worth it IMO.
Now...sensitive subject but my take on AC is that there is more ‘stuff’ or ‘noise’ in the force feedback. You have to play with the settings to filter it to where you are receiving the pertinent info. I’m sure many feel this is advantageous, but to me it’s well, I’m not gonna comment. I will say this though, I’m pretty sure the Nurb gp track isn’t littered with ruts like an off road track. Feel wise is that what is more realistic? Honestly don’t know never driven it. Also I’ve noticed several times in AC that the game on console seems to decide at certain points that you are outta there and will not allow correction-your car just goes off after you make a mistake. I do like Silverstone and a couple of the Italian tracks, and the ai has more personality than GT Sport. AC is an ok game.
I have not had the experience that I’ve read that it’s this amazing ffb experience though, not at all.
My experience with AC really makes me question whether I even want to try Project Cars.
Sorry, off topic.
In closing if you can afford a good wheel get a good wheel with ffb. Not only for GT Sport for the other games too. Even if you don’t prefer other games, you can still play them too.
Also, I don’t set up the ffb strength to be what I would term real. I set it up in GT Sport with sens 10 and torque like 2 or 3. The coolest thing about it is feeling the tremendous difference between driving say a 2000gt Toyota vs like an rs 01 Renault.
Also, you don’t need to do left foot braking. Yes, obviously I would say it’s optimal if you have the coordination, but there’s no way after over forty years of driving that’s gonna change for me. At certain times, I’d say what I do there gives me a disadvantage, but it also has advantages too like how intuitive it is.
My opinion is that if you are on the fence just do it. I’m definitely not bored yet and for me the risk of it breaking is worth it. If my t300 fails catastrophically I’ll spend the money to buy a new one immediately.
If you factor in time you use it, price for amount of entertainment it’s a very hard to beat investment imo.
Spot on with a lot of this.

If my wheel broke today, I’d buy a replacement straight away.

I would implore you to try Project Cars 2 though - it’s a phenomenal simulator for £20 or whatever you could pick it up for second hand today.

Renovating the house, need to buy a new car soon, last wheel I bought (PS3) couldn't be used with PS4. It's not a high-value or high-priority purchase for me.

As cheap as PC2 or AC can be got on PSN or in used bins, it seems utterly defensive to opine about the respective merits of GTS compared to others, when you haven't made the comparison! Just go buy them, rent them, borrow them, and THEN come tell us how hard GTS is!

For me, GTS is a blast to get quick casual racing (PC2 and AC are set up far more for organized leagues, casual racing is spotty - occasionally you can find good rooms, but they are the exception) and the ease of handling makes for a more level playing field (saying hard doesn't equal real ignores how few can drive well IRL... if it were easy, everyone would be a pro!).

But the things that IRL trip you up, take the most skill to master, they are the things that take far more skill than GTS to master in AC and PC2. Setting up for a corner well, mastering throttle and brake inputs, handling contact (far harder to recover in PC and AC!), dealing with bumpy tracks and rumbles (no comparison there with GTS's silky smooth everything!), dealing with PC2 and AC's far more true to life racing rules (the amount of curb you can cheat and track you can cut in GTS is a disgrace!), all of these lead to the conclusion that, whatever you want to call it, arcade, simcade, or poor sim (LOL), GTS is by far the easier game. And sorry to burst anyone's bubble, but racing IRL is hard!

Now...sensitive subject but my take on AC is that there is more ‘stuff’ or ‘noise’ in the force feedback. You have to play with the settings to filter it to where you are receiving the pertinent info. I’m sure many feel this is advantageous, but to me it’s well, I’m not gonna comment. I will say this though, I’m pretty sure the Nurb gp track isn’t littered with ruts like an off road track. Feel wise is that what is more realistic? Honestly don’t know never driven it.
Sry for bad english. I get what you mean, and i wouldn't recommend AC if you are new to sim racing. Like you said, there's (too?) much going on with the FFB. But for me, after 2 years almost only playing the AC: The surface ruts are crucial information of the car's characteristics -> I actually, take it as how the car's chassis reacts, rather than feeling the actual bump on surface (if that make any sense?). I wonder what else would make each car feel unique?
...That's is exactly what GTS is lacking, which makes each car feel pretty much the same, from open wheelers to road cars... The only thing changing is the overal FFB strength, none of them react differently to surface detail.

P.S.
Of course, when driving offroad the whole car shakes IRL, but obviously you don't feel it in the steering... But, there's no other way to simulate 'arse feel' via the FFB... If GTS had a track with cobblestone section, you simply wouldn't feel it, no matter wheter you are driving comfy road car or a kart.
Side notes: Is suspension travel modeled in GTS, can you ever feel the car bottoming out? Or, can you feel the dampers at work? No, i don't believe so.

Last edited:
I've been playing since GT5 on a wheel and can't go back. Which is a problem sometimes because I only have a TV in my living room and the stand + wheel + seat takes up most of the area between my couch and TV. The GF gets annoyed if I leave it out in the living room so dragging too and from the storage room is a pain in the ass.

I've been playing since GT5 on a wheel and can't go back. Which is a problem sometimes because I only have a TV in my living room and the stand + wheel + seat takes up most of the area between my couch and TV. The GF gets annoyed if I leave it out in the living room so dragging too and from the storage room is a pain in the ass.
I was in the same boat through GT5 and 6. I got a DFGT for GT5P and after a significant learning period I found I couldn't go back to the pad. I have been able to play GTS with a pad though. It seems much easier that the two previous games.

I hear what you're saying...

The simple answer is to not leave GF in the living room, maybe it wouldn’t get annoyed if you at least gave it the freedom of the house. Getting dragged to and from the storage room to watch you play gts is a bit harsh in 2018.

I’ve been thinking of replacing the foot stamps with lockable wheels. I have a GT Omega stand and it’s all steel, pretty heavy

1. Don't have a proper setup to even mount a wheel
2. Would have to spend a lot of money to get a seat/rig
3. Would be really annoying to move it all the time as I play other games, watch TV and have a coffee table in the same spot
4. Even when I had wheels (still own PS3 wheel) I used the controller much more often; it's so much easier to pick up and play
5. I think I honestly prefer the controller (but to be fair, enough time with a wheel and it could change)

Because of all these reasons, I just can't justify buying a wheel/rig for GT Sport or any other game. Too expensive for a whole rig, takes up too much space, and won't be used enough to make it worthwhile.

I play games to relax (mostly whilst horizontal) so a controller suits me fine. If I was trying to win something like GT Academy one of those toy steering wheels would make sense, but for a few quick races after work it just seems like an expensive novelty.

I use a wheel. T300 RS and T3PA Pro pedals with the BBJ mod. Never used the DS4 to race, never will. If the wheel broke I would buy a new one and wait until it was delivered.

The only thing that I don't like about racing other drivers that are using a pad is the unnatural movements that their cars make when racing near them. The cars sometimes move in such an unnatural fashion that I start thinking that they are going to lose control. Well, nope, they don't ...the rear end will wag around like an ecstatic dog's tail when they see you've got a snack for them, then... all of a sudden they straighten out (miraculously regaining control somehow) and off they go. Don't scrub off any speed what so ever. Meanwhile, I was patient and got the best exit I could but still have to watch them pull away.

Very annoying.

Now, I am obviously not the fastest driver and I never will be, but moments like that kill the immersion. I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels this way. This post will probably start some contentious debate but I just had to put it out their.

These things (wheels) are expensive and I get that not everyone has it as a top priority so I would never dare tell anyone to go out and get one. However, I do dream of the day that I don't have to see a car sliding around and wagging it's tail and think "yep, pad user".

Bless those of you who are super fast with the pad. I wonder how you do it and I have a ton of respect. How do you do it? Practice, I suppose.

Any way, see you on track.

Regards

Now...sensitive subject but my take on AC is that there is more ‘stuff’ or ‘noise’ in the force feedback.

This is exactly why I say with a wheel, GT Sport feels like having a condom on compared to the more raw feel of AC. For me, more feel is better :D AC is harder to control, but most experienced drivers would say more realistic, especially with a wheel. The perfect game would be AC physics + GT Sport visuals.

The only thing that I don't like about racing other drivers that are using a pad is the unnatural movements that their cars make when racing near them. The cars sometimes move in such an unnatural fashion that I start thinking that they are going to lose control. Well, nope, they don't ...the rear end will wag around like an ecstatic dog's tail when they see you've got a snack for them, then... all of a sudden they straighten out (miraculously regaining control somehow) and off they go. Don't scrub off any speed what so ever. Meanwhile, I was patient and got the best exit I could but still have to watch them pull away.

Very annoying.

Combine this with poor internet, inexperienced drivers and lagging, and you’ve got yourself a nightmare. I gave up a long time ago.

It's strange how many that say they can't afford a budget wheel and stand somehow find the money for the latest COD and a few other games. Budget for a couple fewer major releases (or four fewer nights out at the pub!) a year, and the wheel and stand pay for themselves. Remember, your wheel will be good for close to a decade if taken care of. Divide what the rig costs over 8-10 years, it's pocket money.

Think long-term, kids...

Remember, your wheel will be good for close to a decade if taken care of. Divide what the rig costs over 8-10 years,

I’d say that’s optimistic, your also dismissing wheels that dont go the distance for whatever mechanical fault. Then there’s also the issue moving forward that wheels bought now will be compatible with the next gen console.

Having said all of that even in the worst case scenario I still agree that when considered over time, the fun a wheel brings to console racing is well worth the currency you pay for it.

It becomes more of a hobby rather than just playing video games once you get a wheel. I could never go back to the controller.

I've went trough three different wheels the last being Force GT- It never felt right to me and after a time it's just gathering dust.

I think at this point in time with the game. I play it much less (only league racing 3 times a week. IMO there's no point putting down on a nice wheel.

Back