Why is the AI so Terrible?

• Thread starter fortbo
  • 95 comments
United States
Chicago
fortbo
fortbo
Almost every corner it's the same story, rear ended, spun out or completely punted of the track by one of these artificial idiots! It's ridiculous and needs to be fixed because it is making a great game almost unplayable for me.

Last edited:
Almost every corner it's the same story, real ended, spun out or completely punted of the track by one of these artificial idiots! It's ridiculous and needs to be fixed because it is making a great game almost unplayable for me.
Because drivatars are idiots. :D

Cheating and aggression. Some of the top two Drivatars would cheat their way throughout the race. Sometimes you'd encounter an AI racer wanting to smash your car or block your way and have your car damaged when trying to pass. There is a small chance of hope though, if you put a lot of pressure into them, or if you use the rewind function a lot, they would drive like idiots, either spinning out, over-running corners or crashing as a result of their wild, zoo-like driving. Two things you need are the rewind function and all the curse words you can think of. Restarting the race is your last resort, especially with the cheating AI racers.

Basically with these Drivatars (especially in the higher difficulty classes), the race would definitely feel like either a game of bumper cars or an extremely violent stock car race. It seems like races in Forza today are as violent and chaotic compared to the previous games.

Last edited:
I really miss having races where my opponents try to follow the racing line. Drivatars seem more concerned with dive bombing corners

God knows I love Forza but at this point I'm playing the "Forza gaem"... ie. I'm building the magic e-type or BMW M5 e39 with stock tyres and massive horsepower to beat these AI guys in their new un-upgraded cars so I can blast them on the straight away just so I dont have to tangle with 22 incompetant AI so I can have a crack at the TWO cheating AI rabbits... on short tracks I cant beat them but thats cool... a 3rd is a good as a win

on long tracks I know then yeah, I'm good but on certain tracks like Yas I need to drive dirty to make up. And the two cheating AI clearly dont have cars that behave in the same physical world you do because if you go to the replay videos you can see a stock BMW E60 or whatever doesnt have the horsepower to pull away from my magic 550hp BMW E39. But hey, they are infused with the Dan Greenawalt genie.

Look, I'm probably a lot less upset than you guys... I find this faulty mechanic quite fun and funny and I can live with it even if they dont fix it. And I give a lot of leeway to a game that isnt even a fortnight old.

Its like Turn 10 built the prettiest version of GT6 that they ever could.

*sigh*

In free play I run with rewind off. In free play plus the main career I keep damage on. However, in the main career I gave up and turned rewind back on. I bent over backwards to be clean, not slam into everyone, and brake cautiously knowing a dozen cars ahead of me are going to choke a bottleneck at 3 MPH just in front of me, but then the dozen behind me join the chaos and I'm getting slammed from all directions and ultimately spun out. I restarted the same races sometimes ten times until I finally got through the first half lap without my car limping with severe damage in twenty-second place. I got sick of it and just turned rewind back on. Unfortunately, I lose the 50% CR bonus I was getting from a challenge mod for rewind off and full damage.

I even have aggression off and still want to murder the whole field.

Like most of their counter parts :dunce:. There is an option to tone down their aggressiveness, not sure if that helps mid turn breaking.
Nope. It's the most annoying thing I've encountered along with braking early for a turn, then braking once or twice mid-turn with more than enough speed to get through.

In the times where the pack has straightened out, I've learned to always keep distance from the AI in front of me & be ready to dart around them. Makes it hard to have close, bumper-to-bumper racing if they will literally end up on your front bumper.

I'm in two minds about 24 cars. I mean its quite an achievement to have 24 cars on console.

However I suppose you guys are suffering turn 1 at Spa? Or turn 1 at Nurburgring GPF? Its like rush hour Bombay isnt it?

Or maybe its SUV racing at Long Beach? This had me laughing the whole race.

I wanna hate it but seriously, what game is there where you can run a 500hp RWD Cherokee SRT on a track with 23 other trucks? Its about the best fun I had in ages.

Bunch of trucks trying to mount the Dolphin Fountain is the best ever.

Racing at Silverstone full in the wets is too easy. In every race I've done there in the wet, the AI doesn't seem to notice there is standing water in the braking zone into the last chicane before the last corner. They stay to the right, trying to hold the racing line. As you may have noticed, there is a very tricky puddle that ranges the entire braking zone. While I stay to the left of the puddles to prevent aqua planing, the AI don't. They overshoot the braking and get stuck in the tire barriers, due to them being programmed that they can corner cut there. In every race I've done there, there has been at least 5 cars getting stuck in the tire walls. 5 cars for every every lap. In the very last racing series I ran 70's F1 cars. It's a 6 lap race, and I lapped more than half of the field on the unbeatable difficulty, simply because they all went off there and got stuck.

Fun at first, after a while it feels a little boring though. No competition.

I HATE the AI or Drivatars in this game. Hate them so much that sometimes I dread jumping into a career race at all. They absolutely ruin the otherwise top quality of the game. Even with the AI difficulty cranked up and aggressiveness turned down, they still hit me all over the track. This genuinely upsets me. It's not a race, it's an unpredictable mess of dodging cars, even taking ridiculous lines to avoid getting hit.

This is Forza 6. SIX! The company made 5 other games before this, yet the AI in 5 and 6 are worse than 1-4. Talk about a step backwards.

The irony is that the Drivatars were definitely better on the demo - or at day one - that they are now. And since they learn from players... Make your own conclusions.

Anyways, I had so far a quite enjoyable experience with Drivatars. They may be a bit too aggressive at times and a bit to hesitant at others... But most of the times they are able enough to provide fun, close racing.

This reply is for everyone.

Make sure you turn OFF "Aggressive AI" in the drivatar options. It makes a HUGE difference in the AI aggression. Huge difference. In fact I am surprised it defaults with this on. Seems like it should default with this option turned off.

But what if you want the automotive equivalent of a 24 man knife fight?

I just did the "Stormfront" challenge (nice name btw... are Turn 10 unaware of the usage of that?) - the AI is absolutely hopeless in the wet. You dont even need to be aggressive. I just followed the 1-2 leaders and they invariable hit puddles dead on and got thrown off the track, complete unforced errors... and this seems to be the tone for AI wet driving...

You of course, are Ayrton Senna. You pick your way thru the sometimes unfortunately inappropriately placed puddles but the AI doesnt.

I just did the "Stormfront" challenge (nice name btw... are Turn 10 unaware of the usage of that?)
I was curious about what you meant by that, so I googled it. Ooops T10. Could be in the same territory as
the 'SS' controversy regarding car names

Seems like I'm always getting smashed by the AI. I dunno if I should look in my rearview and just veer away from them if I see 'em coming. lol I even turned off drivatar aggression. It makes ya not wanna even try to progress through the career mode for me. Seems like it almost always turns out being a destruction derby until you get up into the top 5 or so cars. Hopefully they will improve on it in future updates. I still LOVE the game, though. I'm content being the only car on track with no music and just listening to the sound of the engine and driving. :)

You take your fun as you get it.

eg. I'm more than 50/50 against the AI.

At worst, I'm 3rd and I progress.

At best, I lap the AI, even the 1-2 set on aggressive.

I do get the frustration though... I had the AI lap 3 seconds faster than me and up to 6 seconds faster than number 4 man.... and he's clearly in an uncompetitive car.

I'm on my A game giving 110% and he's doing me like a dinner. Granted I can only laugh at this kind of thing.

The worst thing is that the 'godlike' AI isnt actually great everywhere, I can see them unusually slow in certain areas and thats where I can make up time but thats unbalanced by the un-natural acceleration out of corners and the impossible top speeds they have.

I do get the frustration though... I had the AI lap 3 seconds faster than me and up to 6 seconds faster than number 4 man.... and he's clearly in an uncompetitive car.
From what you've posted, I'm not sure I'd believe what you say about certain cars. :lol:

From what you've posted, I'm not sure I'd believe what you say about certain cars. :lol:

firstly think about what you are saying... we are taking Turn 10s interpretation of how cars are in real life... we know their horsepower is off in many cases but you can clearly see when certain cars dont perform according to how you expect

hell I would never accuse Forza 4 or 5 of this so why is 6 so different?

is this a simulator or not? as bad as GT5 and 6 are in comparison I cant ever say I've ever experience such unbeleiveble physics as 6...

I was told that if your friends play F6, you will see there drivatar in your races, if this is true, then every player on this forum needs to be friends, then maybe their drivatar will race better than random ones. Let me know if this is not true.

firstly think about what you are saying... we are taking Turn 10s interpretation of how cars are in real life... we know their horsepower is off in many cases but you can clearly see when certain cars dont perform according to how you expect

hell I would never accuse Forza 4 or 5 of this so why is 6 so different?

is this a simulator or not? as bad as GT5 and 6 are in comparison I cant ever say I've ever experience such unbeleiveble physics as 6...
You insinuated the SRT4, Prelude, and Integra to not be competitive and brought up FWD as if it has anything to do with it. Like I said, I don't think I can believe you when it comes to labeling which cars are competitive or not.

Regardless, I'm not sure what your reply has to do with what I said.

Back