Why is the AI so Terrible?

• Thread starter fortbo
  • 95 comments
@Imari of course it's to be expected which is why I'm sceptical of people bashing the drivatar system in Forza when in fact bashing the drivatars is perhaps what they're doing literally if you see what I mean.

The thing I noticed recently is that after the Nascar expansion the AI seems to love to pitt you when they didnt in the past.

You're on the main straight of Laguna Seca in 1st place? Here, let me pitt you into the concrete wall.

WTF? I play no rewind so its a bit frustrating. Is the AI just copying human behaviour thru driveatars??​

Forza Apex, might not be Forza 6 but has these "drivertards".. Just spent a night playing it and at the end I had just had enough. I had it set to "pro" (+55% something).

They constantly rear end you, they divebomb you with no chance of slowing down unless they can use you as a wall, they brake test you on sections where you wouldn't be braking and they occasionally randomly just wipe themselves out for no reason, sometimes flying back across the track into you, which is often unavoidable if you're next to them when they do it. I've had enough of the times I've just been KO'd by one of the AI and had to restart the race, its super difficult to avoid because they are so unpredictable and so stupid.

I mean you avoid the open lobby online racing to avoid this sort of thing and Forza is openly bragging about bringing you that "racing against complete idiots" experience in the single player.. I hate it.

Strange that different people are having different experiences with the drivatar system.

It's almost as if the previous page of posts hadn't happened.

Strange that different people are having different experiences with the drivatar system.

It's almost as if the previous page of posts hadn't happened.

While the Drivatars aren't perfect I find them to be very competent especially if set at the highest levels of difficulty. I think most people never think that they themselves might actually be the problem, although I'm not super fast I've improved since I got FM6 and before (when I was very, very slow) I just had all sorts of problems but it was me who wasn't braking properly, overtaking nicely, etc. Now that I got better, races have improved.

But I think one reason why people could be having different experiences are the track/car combos. There are some types of cars at certain difficulty in some ribbons where they completely act foolish, then you take the same car at the same difficulty and put them on a different layout and they drive great. One that I can think of are GP legends cars (60's F1 cars) at Long Beach, they get to that fountain/roundabout turn and they all pile up like idiots.

One thing I'd like them to change would be for Turn 10 to say, Do you want to be a drivatar? Earn it! You'd have to reach a certain level in order to qualify to become a "drivatar". For instance AI would only pick up the driving traits of the fastest and cleanest 10% drivers in Forza leaderboards. Hopefully that would force people to clean up their act and drivatars would not pick up bad habits from poor drivers.

But I think one reason why people could be having different experiences are the track/car combos. There are some types of cars at certain difficulty in some ribbons where they completely act foolish, then you take the same car at the same difficulty and put them on a different layout and they drive great. One that I can think of are GP legends cars (60's F1 cars) at Long Beach, they get to that fountain/roundabout turn and they all pile up like idiots.

Indeed, sometimes the AI is simply bad. Last month I experienced a very clean race against classic American muscle cars at Homestead. Immediately after I had another race there using identical settings except switching to the modern sport legends division. Unlike the classic muscle car race, the modern sport legends race suffered from AI cars bumping each other all over the track. There's no obvious explanation.

Back