Words I Hate

• Thread starter Liquid
  • 1,242 comments
Solemn

Just because the 2 yugioh cards Solemn Warning and Solemn Strike. I hate them and they need to be banned someday.

So I'm not keen on the confusingly placed conjunction at the the start of so many sentences. Such as that one I just wrote.
It's as if there's a reasoning that's missing from before the point. :confused:

I absolutely hate the word gourmet. Gourmet this, gourmet that, gourmet everywhere! You'd think Oprah was having a giveaway...

I'm trying to not focus on neologisms but...

Cosplay

Because I'm 25 I don't want to be all "back in my day" but what happened to calling this stuff fancy dress? The US gets a pass because I'm not sure if that term was ever popular there but the UK has no excuses. Dressing up as a character, from any media, is still fancy dress, right?

If someone invited me to a fancy dress party, that's great. A chance to dress up in character. If someone invited me to a cosplay party, I'd probably push them down the stairs.

Also I know I probably pronounce it wrong which makes it even worse; cozzplay as in Cosworth as opposed to the actual coss in costume.

I'm trying to not focus on neologisms but...

Cosplay

Because I'm 25 I don't want to be all "back in my day" but what happened to calling this stuff fancy dress? The US gets a pass because I'm not sure if that term was ever popular there but the UK has no excuses. Dressing up as a character, from any media, is still fancy dress, right?

If someone invited me to a fancy dress party, that's great. A chance to dress up in character. If someone invited me to a cosplay party, I'd probably push them down the stairs.

Also I know I probably pronounce it wrong which makes it even worse; cozzplay as in Cosworth as opposed to the actual coss in costume.
Cosplay isn't entirely the same as Dress-up. Dress-up you just dress up as that character, with cosplay though you actually act like the character and sometimes even quote or perform things famous within the character.

Cosplay isn't entirely the same as Dress-up. Dress-up you just dress up as that character, with cosplay though you actually act like the character and sometimes even quote or perform things famous within the character.

So you're saying you couldn't do those things if you were "only" in fancy dress?

If I went to a fancy dress party as say... Hulk Hogan or Solid Snake, I'd have to just be me but with some weird clothes on? I couldn't go on a cocaine-induced steroid promo or repeat things people tell me as a question? (Repeat things people tell me as a question?!)

Fancy dress is not limited to just wearing clothes and being like you normally are. The term also covers imitating and acting too. That's the point of a fancy dress party; people having fun pretending to be whatever they are dressed as.

So you're saying you couldn't do those things if you were "only" in fancy dress?

If I went to a fancy dress party as say... Hulk Hogan or Solid Snake, I'd have to just be me but with some weird clothes on? I couldn't go on a cocaine-induced steroid promo or repeat things people tell me as a question? (Repeat things people tell me as a question?!)

Fancy dress is not limited to just wearing clothes and being like you normally are. The term also covers imitating and acting too. That's the point of a fancy dress party; people having fun pretending to be whatever they are dressed as.
Fancy Dress-up is a very vague term where the only requirement is to dress-up as a character, cosplay is more strict in which you have to act like an already established character while dressing up though it can still be a fancy dress-up.

Though I've seen plenty of dress-up partys where acting like the character isn't required.

Not really, Fancy Dress-up is a very vague term where the only requirement is to dress-up as the character, cosplay is more strict in which you have to act like though it can still be a fancy dress-up.

I simply do not see a distinction between the two terms and the latter term irritates me. It just... does.

I always thought that cosplay was a Japanese inspired thing (Anime and whatnot) that had been adopted by the west and that the term 'cosplay' had just replaced the term 'fancy dress'.

I always thought that cosplay was a Japanese inspired thing (Anime and whatnot) that had been adopted by the west and that the term 'cosplay' had just replaced the term 'fancy dress'.
Cosplay IS a Japanese thing, and no, I don't think it's a replacement for the term "fancy dress"

A recent most hated word for me is 'unfortunately'. It's just something people add to sentences to sound like they're sympathizing with the person they're talking to.

"Unfortunately the servers were taken down". "Unfortunately the link no longer works". Bitch, just get to the point and let me dwell in my disappointment by myself without your unwanted regrets.

A recent most hated word for me is 'unfortunately'. It's just something people add to sentences to sound like they're sympathizing with the person they're talking to.

"Unfortunately the servers were taken down". "Unfortunately the link no longer works". Bitch, just get to the point and let me dwell in my disappointment by myself without your unwanted regrets.
Unfortunately that word will never see disuse.

An odd one I've found that really drives me up the wall for no good reason is band, as in watch band. It's a perfectly valid use of the word, but to me it's either a strap (fabric, leather) or a bracelet (metal) and band just sounds silly when there are more descriptive and appropriate words available.

Amish.

I hate how it is pronounced. Ah-mish, sometimes Ay-mish. The guy from whom the group originate was called Jakob Ammann and the correct pronunciation of his name is Amm-ann; A double consonant results in the preceding vowel to be short. Therefore it ought to be Amm-ish. A short A sound as in the word actually.

I appreciate that North American short As are different to British short As so this could be a pasta/pah-sta type thing. It still annoys me though.

Oh the 'a miss'? I've heard it said a few different ways over the years, I guess you have to pick up how they say it. The problem is they don't say it so, ah mish it is.

I've always dropped the h for what it is worth, almost dropping both h's but I'm not normal.

I've always had a respect for those folks even with their problems, who doesn't have problems? They speak a bit funny as well but not as funny as the Pols in the same ish area.

I guess I should add this much not to sound ass, I really like those old schooled polocks.

Drop the 'h', and you've got the Finnish slang term for someone who goes/went to vocational school. Which funnily enough is also a slightly irritating word.

Batch, enhance, rubric. There's more but those really stick out like a sore thumb for me, just really terrible sounding words to my ears.

Back