Words I Hate

• Thread starter Liquid
  • 1,242 comments
Bone stock

bone-broth-and-liverpate-033.jpg

Lunch is the highlight of many people's day. Especially if they don't breakfast in the morning.

I don't have any issues with lunch myself as it's a word I use regularly and enjoy the thoughts it conjours in my head.

Lunch is the highlight of many people's day. Especially if they don't breakfast in the morning.
This is me. Lunch can get me away from work for a few minutes. And I am most definitely not a morning person, so no breakfast for me.

This is me. Lunch can get me away from work for a few minutes. And I am most definitely not a morning person, so no breakfast for me.

Getting away from the work environment is one of the perks of lunch. I work in a school so I can only have a cigarette break at lunch when I’m away from the campus.

I hate the word lunch because I'm a breakfast - dinner - tea person.

I know I'm in such a minority in which there is a colossal chasm between me and the majority who do use lunch but... I don't care. Dinner - tea, and that's how it shall be.

I hate the word lunch because I'm a breakfast - dinner - tea person.

I know I'm in such a minority in which there is a colossal chasm between me and the majority who do use lunch but... I don't care. Dinner - tea, and that's how it shall be.
I like to use the term lupper which originated from Seinfeld (unless it was already a thing and they simply brought attention to it). Sometimes I'm too busy at work, and by the time I get to eat, it's in between lunch and supper (yes, supper...not dinner). Thoughts on lupper?

If it's your first, second or third meal of the day, then it is what it is. Last week I had my breakfast at 8pm on consecutive days.

Software" as a singular noun, as in "I need a software that does ...."

It's a program you need. Software is a general term for nonspecific programs.

In this post-covid world it's being used as a "trendy buzzword" to encourage people not to go abroad on holiday, as though a holiday in your own country somehow doesn't count as a real holiday or is otherwise boring and uninteresting.

In this post-covid world it's being used as a "trendy buzzword" to encourage people not to go abroad on holiday, as though a holiday in your own country somehow doesn't count as a real holiday or is otherwise boring and uninteresting.

That's great news. Time to strike back at those people who stare down at you for taking time off but staying home.

That's great news. Time to strike back at those people who stare down at you for taking time off but staying home.

I love a holiday in my own country, never had a problem with that, it's just calling it a staycation that makes me want to vomit.

Staycation

Number one: 🤬 off.

Number two: A holiday somewhere else in your own country is not a staycation.

After so much travel throughout the year, a week or two off at home and around town does me wonders. Part of me also wonders why I live here, though.

US-ism:

Holiday = one day off
Vacation = multiple days off

Which one sounds better?

US-ism:

Holiday = one day off
Vacation = multiple days off

Which one sounds better?

Vacation implies you're going away. Why would I say I'm on vacation with a week off work if I'm not travelling anywhere?

A holiday, to me, has always been any time away from one's occupation. A vacation only makes sense if I've vacated my house.

How can a holiday be longer than a day? What's "holy" about it if it's not a specially recognized date? :P

Vacation implies you're going away. Why would I say I'm on vacation with a week off work if I'm not travelling anywhere?
It is vacating the workplace, or school. Schools are (relatively) vacant during summer vacation. One's office is vacant during their vacation.

It does relate to U.S. work culture, I suppose.

Staycation

Number one: 🤬 off.

Number two: A holiday somewhere else in your own country is not a staycation.
You wouldn't believe how this sticks in my pasty Irish craw. :grumpy:

Anyway, today I was reminded of how much I hate the word "tummy" when said by adults, especially when they're 40-something radio presenters who have a 20-song playlist they never deviate from. It's like hearing them say "mummy"/"daddy", it's just so infantile.

Latest Posts

Back