Your thoughts about "standard" vs. "premium"

• Thread starter LP670-4 SV
  • 10,183 comments

What would you have rather had PD do about "premium" vs. "standard" cars

• Keep everthing the same

Votes: 324 19.1%
  • Release the game later with all the cars "premium"

Votes: 213 12.6%
  • Not do "premium" cars at all but focus on other features i.e. dynamic weather

Votes: 134 7.9%
  • DLC packs after the release

Votes: 844 49.8%
  • Wished PD didn't get are hopes up, lol

Votes: 180 10.6%

• Total voters
I already knew GTA4 had modelled cockpits...especially the police cruiser.insane that it does.yip,Ace Combat also has cockpits haha.I bet,theres a higher chance Fifa 12 is going to have cockpit view than those standards.frankly,if time was an issue and they couldnt include the black frame one,I wouldve rather them not make go karts and do 800 black frame interiors.
Wow, are people still crying over this? Things really are getting desperate when you start comparing to games like Ace Combat and FIFA... To be quite honest, I'd rather they didn't bother with cockpits at all, but there you go, not every game is going to be to my exacting standards.

Ultimately, this game is going to suffer somewhat because of this disproportionate (in terms of car count) Standard/Premium split, and I do understand how people are "upset" by the lack of generic black frame/cockpit view. If one isn't there at launch, one will become available via DLC I'm sure, that way the "ugly duckling" can be adopted only by those who want it! I can think of loads of negatives that this split introduces, but I just look at the positives:

• Think of the 800 standards as bonus cars on top of the already large number of 200 premiums. These represent the history of GT and I'm sure we'll all find some of our old favourites in there to make us smile.
  • All cars have the same physics engine
  • All cars use the same audio engine (a debatable benefit!)
  • All cars have mechanical damage
  • All cars have basic superficial damage
  • I always race using Bumper Cam or Hood Cam, so lack of cockpits and visible damage is of little consequence to me (at least while racing)
Taking everything into consideration, for me, GT5 still represents more than any other racing game out there. Things can only get better from thereafter with DLC and updates.

It's only really an issue if they mix them, as the differences will be ridiculous and any sense of realism will die with the last-gen look of the standard models.

It's only really an issue if they mix them, as the differences will be ridiculous and any sense of realism will die with the last-gen look of the standard models.

Maybe to you it would be an issue, but to me I WANT standard vs premium races. There are way too many awesome cars that would be excluded from races if they were kept apart, and the race grids would have duplicate car models racing against eachother. The PS3 lighting engine and new physics engine make it good enough for me, I won't be counting polygons or studying shutlines when going 150 mph around a track, I'll save that for photomode.

[*]I always race using Bumper Cam or Hood Cam, so lack of cockpits and visible damage is of little consequence to me (at least while racing)

Why do people keep calling it a hood cam, when it's obvious a roof cam? There is no hood cam in GT.

Gejost
Why do people keep calling it a hood cam, when it's obvious a roof cam? There is no hood cam in GT.
Why do people always go misinterpreting things in their attempt to try and 1up somebody?

Read what I said...

"I always race using Bumper Cam or Hood Cam..."

Did I say I always race in GT or GT5 using said views? No. It was a general sweeping statement because GT5 is not even out yet. They are views I use in almost all other racing games when available, and prefer hood cam overall. What it actually ends up being in GT5 is irrelevant to me anyway, because both achieve a similar outlook on the racing perspective.

My point is, I don't race using cockpit views so the lack of them, for me, is a moot issue.

Why do people always go misinterpreting things in their attempt to try and 1up somebody?

Read what I said...

"I always race using Bumper Cam or Hood Cam..."

Did I say I always race in GT or GT5 using said views? No. It was a general sweeping statement because GT5 is not even out yet. They are views I use in almost all other racing games when available, and prefer hood cam overall. What it actually ends up being in GT5 is irrelevant to me anyway, because both achieve a similar outlook on the racing perspective.

My point is, I don't race using cockpit views so the lack of them, for me, is a moot issue.

English is not my native language, what does "1up somebody" mean? I'm not even following the discussion here anymore, so I'm not trying to back someone up if that is the meaning of it.

I totally agree with you btw about looking at the positives. I would rather have cockpit view for every car like most of us, but that's not going to happen, and I'm fine with that.

About my comment, it was not only addressed to you, although I did misinterpreted that part in your post, sorry about that. It's just that lately I'm seeing alot of people mistake the roof cam for a hood cam, and when I got to your post and saw this mentioned (atleast I thought) again I just had to comment on it. :)

It may end up in GT5 after all, I really hope it does, but I'm talking about the video's we have seen so far.

I would point out that while I think you are pretty much spot on, that's all still an assumption at this ponit as it's entirely possible the old assets do not contain compatible or complete enough data to be used in the new physics engine and thus may run on their own older or less in depth physics engine to compensate.

That seems unlikely, but we don't know otherwise yet and it would give some creedance to the theory of keeping standard cars and premiums from sharing the same track.

Not that I have my own opinion on this, but I am wondering what has lead you to this as a feasible conclusion? Beyond, that is, the idea that anything is possible.

I think them being separated is possible simply cause PD seem to be ashamed of the standard cars. We've had one 45s video and a few screenshots of them in the entire 5-6 year span of gt5.
As for them having different physics, I don't see that being the case.

just wondering if the Karts are premium; I saw a cockpit view in one of the online previews. what about wrc?

I like many others have a G27 with the rig; waiting on GT5. 80% of the cars I wont be able to use with the wheel:yuck:

I hope they remedy this with DLC:nervous:

At least there will be many ferrari's

60 some odd days to go.

just wondering if the Karts are premium; I saw a cockpit view in one of the online previews. what about wrc?

I like many others have a G27 with the rig; waiting on GT5. 80% of the cars I wont be able to use with the wheel:yuck:

I hope they remedy this with DLC:nervous:

At least there will be many ferrari's

60 some odd days to go.

I don't think that your wheel will be inoperative for the 800 standard cars, as wheels were possible in GT4. I think you are confusing the lack of cockpit view in standard cars with the ability to use a wheel.

****! i'd never tought they look so bad. Just terrible. Really hope they don't mix those crappy models with premium cars, the'll look even worse.
Here, let me fix your sig for you:

GT: 45%
GT2: 60%
GT3: 92%
GT4: 82%
GT5p: 100%
GT5: 20% (only used premium cars)

:lol:

^ We don't know how much of the game can be completed without touching the recycleds. I bet we'll find out though, because at least one member here will be trying to do it.

I was under the impression this (and the other B-Spec screens) were all mock-ups. That exact scene shows up in the PSP intro.

^ We don't know how much of the game can be completed without touching the recycleds. I bet we'll find out though, because at least one member here will be trying to do it.

I was under the impression this (and the other B-Spec screens) were all mock-ups. That exact scene shows up in the PSP intro.
PSP or not, that's what the standard cars will look like.

Strittan
Big deal! They will drive, sound, and feel just like the premium cars. Am I the only one who appreciates these particular aspects, or are people really only bothered about how they look and the related cockpits (or lack thereof)?

Here, let me fix your sig for you:

GT: 45%
GT2: 60%
GT3: 92%
GT4: 82%
GT5p: 100%
GT5: 20% (only used premium cars)

:lol:

sure but no because they graphically sucks but because since i've bought the wheel i can't drive without cockpit so i don't even bother try standard cars. Till gt4 i used pad and chase cam. 200 good cars are more than enough for me and if there will be a gt mode with only premium for me i'ts better. I'm not bothered with standard cars being in the game and being crap, i'll be bothered if they force me to use them in gtmode instead of premium cars.

Last edited:
sure but no because they graphically sucks but because since i've bought the wheel i can't drive without cockpit so i don't even bother try standard cars. Till gt4 i used pad and chase cam. 200 good cars are more than enough for me and if there will be a gt mode with only premium for me i'ts better. I'm not bothered with standard cars being in the game and being crap, i'll be bothered if they force me to use them in gtmode instead of premium cars.
Haha, I was joking, but fair enough, I totally agree with you. 200 premium cars is still a huge number, and more than adequate for me too. The 800 standards are just a bonus as far as I am concerned.

Technically, not quite; the reflections will be different ;).

Big deal! They will drive, sound, and feel just like the premium cars. Am I the only one who appreciates these particular aspects, or are people really only bothered about how they look and the related cockpits (or lack thereof)?

Actually, seeing as how they recycled the models, something tells me the sounds will be carry-overs too. An assumption, sure... but do you think they would've hunted down every car all over again and re-sampled them?

Also, there's still the question mark about physics. If the new engine has new variables introduced, adding to the ones (or even modifying them) from GT4, that leaves Standards without a value to attach to that. Nobody really knows one way or the other how this is handled though.

Actually, seeing as how they recycled the models, something tells me the sounds will be carry-overs too. An assumption, sure... but do you think they would've hunted down every car all over again and re-sampled them?

Also, there's still the question mark about physics. If the new engine has new variables introduced, adding to the ones (or even modifying them) from GT4, that leaves Standards without a value to attach to that. Nobody really knows one way or the other how this is handled though.

Exactly.

The only thing actually confirmed about standards is how they look. Well, from the standard car trailer one can also argue it's confirmed how they sound too, but I'm holding judgment on that. If PD have their original sound samples and they were recorded in high quality, and they should, there's a chance the GT5's sound engine can make them sound fairly better. But then again, why muscle cars sounded like vacuum cleaners in the standard cars trailer?

Anyway, it's somewhat of a safe assumption to say standards will work on the new physics, but that's not confirmed. I'm playing it safe and waiting before drawing any final conclusions about the physics.

Back