Best Car in GT1

• Thread starter Zero
  • 642 comments
LM Cerbera was best IMO. The concept car was very close to it but didn't have quite as much top end.

LM GTO was a good car too, the advantage of this car is if you run off road or stop its easier to get going again than a rear wheel drive. But I found it easier not to crash or come off the track in the first place.

Fastest top end I had was the Supra RZ 95 model. I could get it over 400 kph without drafting behind someone.

Best car to start with was the RX-7.

Best front wheel drive was the Eclipse GT. (I didn't have LM FTO in my version)

Favourite cars, LM cerbera, concept car, Griffith, Supra 95 RZ,.

As I remember the FTO LM was a RWD car in race format, Johnie... Don't take my word for it though, that may be wrong.

LM Cerbera... That car rocked my socks, it handled beautifully and was super fast.

My insanely-over-the-top-never-gonna-get-that-much-out-of-it-in-real-life '95 GTO Twinturbo could get over 400km/h without drafting as well, but my favourite car of all time is the 646hp Castrol Toyota Supra - I rememebr having some insane battles with me in that, a 95 Supra RZ and a GTO Twinturbo with 903hp at the Test Course in the High Speed Battle series. I admit I had to sit behind both of them to beat them, but there was a sweet hole in the air for me to sit in, what with both of 'em in front rather than just one, so I got some nice speeds off that - usually over the 390 mark - and cruised around the outside of them on the last corner to win.

Good times, good times.

Stinky Chicken
As I remember the FTO LM was a RWD car in race format, Johnie... Don't take my word for it though, that may be wrong.

LM Cerbera... That car rocked my socks, it handled beautifully and was super fast.

My insanely-over-the-top-never-gonna-get-that-much-out-of-it-in-real-life '95 GTO Twinturbo could get over 400km/h without drafting as well, but my favourite car of all time is the 646hp Castrol Toyota Supra - I rememebr having some insane battles with me in that, a 95 Supra RZ and a GTO Twinturbo with 903hp at the Test Course in the High Speed Battle series. I admit I had to sit behind both of them to beat them, but there was a sweet hole in the air for me to sit in, what with both of 'em in front rather than just one, so I got some nice speeds off that - usually over the 390 mark - and cruised around the outside of them on the last corner to win.

Good times, good times.

The FTO LM is 4 Wheel drive. 390 km/h I assume. I'm surprised you didn't get more than that out of the situation.

I liked all the special models :)
But my favourite was the Dodge Concept Car LM :)
I used to choose it all the time 👍
I've still got it in purple and yellow :) 👍

First I loved the silver GTO LM and big blue GTO twin turbo

Then came the green FTO LM(have some black ones too)

Now, my favorite is the delsol LM followed by the cerbera.

Not including the concept car, the cerbera is fastest around a real track, followed by the delsol. Anyone who says the FTO can keep up with the delsol is crazy.

The cerbera LM was the one I managed the quickest laps in, but the castrol supra was really close. Didn't use the Copperhead that much.

However, for pure driving fun, nothing, I mean nothing in the game could touch the Impreza LM. Even gearing it for 300kph kept the insane off the line acceleration and it was the only car I had the confidence to go flat out through the fast chicane in SS-Route 11 every lap. Sideways everywhere too, but it would just hook up and fly out of corners. I loved it to bits.

Never liked the GTO's much, too heavy, I like cars you can throw around like a BMX.

Kurtis.

I agree regarding the GTO, although when you have taken stage 3 weight off and added a stage 4 turbo the weight doesn't count as much. I never raced the Imp LM, I won the STi Version III and found that to be a good fun car, however I prefer rear drive for sliding and powering off the corners, the Cerberra is a classic example.

I never got into the GTO much in GT1. I've been racing a '92 3000GT VR4 in GT2, i find that yes, it is heavy and this is its main detriment once you get serious power going. :You don't have to make it drift much, it pretty well wants to drift all by itself! Very fun car.

Parnelli Bone
I never got into the GTO much in GT1. I've been racing a '92 3000GT VR4 in GT2, i find that yes, it is heavy and this is its main detriment once you get serious power going. :You don't have to make it drift much, it pretty well wants to drift all by itself! Very fun car.

I would have thought that the weight would help to hold the car to the ground.

Lower weight is better, faster acceleration, better braking, and higher corner speed.

The corner speed part may seem unusual, but the more weight a tyre carries, the lower it's value of coefficient of friction becomes, and despite the extra weight, you end up with less grip. That's why race cars are always bang on the minimum allowed mass, or near enough.

Kurtis.

Mitsubushi GTO Twin Turbo.I don't know if it is possible to do 500 km/h in GT1 but the GTO Twin Turbo did it.Like three (3) times in the game.No tweaking.Only all off the stuff bought.No gamesharks used. On the Test Track in the high speed race(cant remember name).

KurtisGSXR
The corner speed part may seem unusual, but the more weight a tyre carries, the lower it's value of coefficient of friction becomes, and despite the extra weight, you end up with less grip. That's why race cars are always bang on the minimum allowed mass, or near enough.
The coefficent of friction will tend to become less because the denominator of the COF is the weight (mass + downforce, etc) of the car. I.e it takes a certain amount of force to push the tire sideways, the COF is the ratio of that to the weight, so yes, the COF will tend to decrease if the mass (and therefore weight) increases if this does not further affect the amount of force required to move the object (tire). But, apart from anything else, experience tells us that increased weight (aka downforce) (e.g. aerodynamic downforce) will often increase the total amount of friction.

Increasing the mass of the car will also increase the kinetic inertia available to act to move the tire (outward in the corner). Increasing the weight (i.e. via aerodynamic downforce) will not.

It's not clear to me that it's any change in the COF, per se, which results in heavier cars having slower cornering speeds. I think the increased kinetic inertia (momentum) is more significant.

TMM
I would have thought that the weight would help to hold the car to the ground.

Yes, the 3000GT is a very stable car, but it also likes to slide around (long body, short wheelbase) a bit, tho it is easily controllable most of the time. As Kuris & Sport so scientifically explained, it's all about the magic circle of friction on the tires. Once those tires are pushed past their max, you're s l i d i n ................gggggggg

Sport,

I see what you're saying, and I agree, any aero downforce is like free grip, you get extra weight on the tyres giving you a higher frictional force. But that extra weight doesn't need to be "carried" during cornering.

Disregarding the aero though, the heavier, statically, a car is, the lower grip you'll have. I tried it out on the beginner course with a Vantage and an elise 111S, I got higher apex speeds in the elise, so GT does model for it, well done polyphony.

Anyway, we're getting away from things here...

I used to like the CRX race edition, it was all top end power. I tuned it for high speeds once and managed about 350kph with it as there's no power drop off at the top of the range.

I also had the biggest save of my life in the Cerbera, full lock sideways in the long right hand tunnel after the bridge on grand valley, I could only see the wall on screen. I don't know how, but I got it back. I reckon it was fluke more than anything.

I liked almost all the RX-7's too, nice and loose and fun to drive.

Kurtis.

Well there you go I stand corrected. I do admit that I don't understand anything about the mathematics of racing cars round tracks and usually do it by experience and pure luck. If I do enter a corner at too high a speed and the rear end gets lose then I counter steer to keep it going. Sometimes I get lucky and the car comes back in-line, sometimes I don't and I spin or hit a wall etc. They say every days a school day!!!!!

KurtisGSXR
I also had the biggest save of my life in the Cerbera, full lock sideways in the long right hand tunnel after the bridge on grand valley, I could only see the wall on screen. I don't know how, but I got it back. I reckon it was fluke more than anything.

Ahhh the fun of driving the Cerberra. Just when you think it's gone past the point of no return you manage to get it back on-line and still at a good speed.

Loved the bone stock Viper GTS. That was the funnest car to toss around and powerslide every corner. I used to run the stock car championship with that thing over and over just for the hellofit. I wonder what they messed up because the vipers in the next three games were nothing close to as dominant as that one was.

Clutchman83
Loved the bone stock Viper GTS. That was the funnest car to toss around and powerslide every corner. I used to run the stock car championship with that thing over and over just for the hellofit. I wonder what they messed up because the vipers in the next three games were nothing close to as dominant as that one was.

Me too. The GTS out of the dealer's lot was better than the GTS-R. It has a bit less power, but is super light and very nimble. I find that in GT2, the Viper is dominant in any race i've ever tried, i rarely lose in a Viper!

I accualy had good luck with the Subaru Impreza Wagon Sti. I spent hours upon hours tuneing that car for each track... i rarely lost in that thing... loved it...

Everyone says the GTO VR4 or Twin turbo, no no the best car is the GTO MR, fully tuned it will corner with the cerbera LM and is way faster top end only just lossing to GTO VR4 OR Twin turbo, it 980hp fully tuned and will out do any car in the game to 130mph, sounds awasome too, get the car and try it and I bet u all agree!!!

Corvette 427 coupe '67, it does a burnout, then, it goes from 2nd, to 3rd, and, to 4th in about 20 seconds, vrrrrrooooooommmmm, vroom, vroom, vrrrrrooooooooom!!!

Mitsubishi FTO LM Edition

excellent handling, awesome acceleration (due partly to 4WD traction of the line), no other car can match it as it is also very light, and it looks gorgeous as well

SagarisGTB
First I loved the silver GTO LM and big blue GTO twin turbo

Then came the green FTO LM(have some black ones too)

Now, my favorite is the delsol LM followed by the cerbera.

Not including the concept car, the cerbera is fastest around a real track, followed by the delsol. Anyone who says the FTO can keep up with the delsol is crazy.

The FTO can keep up and surpass the delSol because it has better traction and acceleration

Cerbera LM, Impreza Rally Car and RX-7 LM were my weapons of choice, especially the Impreza. ~600 bhp and 900 kg, that thing really could go!

FTO LM, Impreza (fully upgraded) and the Rally version seemed best to me :)

I actually remembering an old Top Gear magazine interview with KY where he said the FTO LM was infact the best car in the game with what he saw as the ideal handling and performance characteristics. He only wished that Mitsubishi would make one in real life (Although I doubt in real life it would be quite as good...).

All this talk about GTO Twin Turbo's and FTO's and Cerbera's and Concept cars and so on...Its amazing to me how so many people can miss the absolute best car in the game...no one ever talks about it, yet it handles better than any car I can think of, they never even mention it, yet it has the best acceleration of any car Ive ever tried. They dont even give it a thought, yet it has so much power it knocks my socks off....And if none of you believe just go buy one, Modify it to the max and then go hit any track its allowed to race on modified and when you do, you will agree with me...Just try it and see.
And the absolute best car in the game is............. The 95' GTO MR

Back