Open ◆ SNAIL [Spec] Racing - Presented by ButtKicker: Feel What You've Been Missing

Discussion in 'SNAIL Racing League' started by zer05ive, Dec 13, 2011.

1. FloydC3

FloydC3

JLBowler will pm u your position

2. Azure Flare

Azure Flare (Banned)

@honky101p9 If you start in D6, you'll have to deal with my stupid jokes.

Thought I would give you a heads-up.

goofytyler and lousteezy like this.
  3. aliengamer25

aliengamer25

Hey bud you did good in practice with me and GTP_lousteezy, you just gotta practice those lines and get a little cleaner on the corners. I wish you good luck on getting into the respective division, if you wanna practice anymore online which I advise just find one of our rooms, we are glad to help.

lousteezy likes this.
  4. honky101p9

honky101p9

hey FloydC3 what do u mean by pm

5. aliengamer25

aliengamer25

He will send you a private message, where that little black flag is next to the little text bubble at the top of the page, the text bubble will have a new message notification on it. Click on that and there should be a message from division stewards telling you which division you'll be placed in.

6. FloydC3

FloydC3

Private message

7. Azure Flare

Azure Flare (Banned)

TEX36 and Jakedog23 like this.
  8. Jakedog23

Jakedog23

Hey but mine are worse.

Azure Flare likes this.
  9. Chiochan

Chiochan

Let's vote on no penalties for division 5 also, we are so well behaved as it is.

FloydC3 likes this.
  10. honky101p9

honky101p9

I still don't know what division i am in. Can some one help ?

11. lousteezy

lousteezy

Hey @honky101p9 don't worry about your division right now. Just practice the combos and you should get an assigned division by Sunday. Refer to page 1 of the thread for the combinations.

12. Grandpa Money

Grandpa Money

Jr Bowler will send you a message, he will get to you don't worry, official practice is tonight 930 EST, get the cars and go find the red room to see how this all works

13. TEX36

TEX36 Premium

Stewards: I am concerned, because I did not consider, that the new Combo will create numerous IRs. Sorry, in advance.

As a driver said yesterday during a practice session, "I am working more on racecraft than I am on fast lap times."

Everyone needs to practice Patience with Lift & Accelerate thru the Esses - and earlier braking to assure control thru the tight corners. Race clean - and I'm sure mistakes in front of you will provide passing opportunities.
    Just my opinion.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2014
    hooker4, zer05ive and FloydC3 like this.
  14. fizzer

fizzer

D1 data has been entered to the Results Doc for 3/23/2014

Pole times:
    Round 1 : @Benz-27 - 2:09.058
    Round 2 : @martin20az - 2:44.167
    Round 3 : @martin20az - 2:24.584

Fast Laps:
    Round 1 Race 1 : @fizzer - 2:09.413
    Round 1 Race 2 : @martin20az - 2:09.133

Round 2 Race 1 : @fizzer - 2:44.232
    Round 2 Race 2 : @fizzer - 2:44.379

Round 3 Race 1 : NoData
    Round 3 Race 2 : NoData

Fast Race:
    Round 1: 8:46.562
    Round 2: 8:17.778
    Round 3: NoData

Highest Gap, first to last:
    Round 1, Race 1: 27.324

Smallest Gap, first to last:
    Round 1, Race 2: 12.174

Was a tough Sunday for snail with the server storm that occurred right in the middle of our race night. Our massive drops started about 20 seconds before all drivers were about to finish Round 2 Race 2. The decision was made to score the standings for that race as of just before 6 of the 8 runners were disconnected within seconds of each other. Only @qwietstorm, and myself were actually able to cross the finish line according to the replay. For those 2, fast laps were counted if the last lap was fastest. Total race time was calculated as actual race time as the winner - qwiet, did cross the line. Gaps captured as of the massive disconnect.

After about 30 mins of frantic PSN communication and attempts to recreate a stable room, we were able to start Round 3. I was disconnected on lap 2 and decided to pack it in for the night. I have yet to receive standings for that race, but Round 3, Race 2 results were communicated via PM. If any of the D1 drivers do have Round 3 replays, I will update the results doc accordingly. However, GTP PM conversations indicate the chances of this are slim.

Since race 4 and race 6 were scored after the overall results announcement, provisional standings for the night now look like this:

dgafaboutany1420 70
    QwietStorm03 62
    msgt-sd 61
    fizzer82 59
    martin20az 56
    GTP_Benz-27 51
    GTP_ParkerMO125 45
    Nic-KL 43

Data is available here.

dgaf95integra and zer05ive like this.
  15. kcheeb

kcheeb Premium

I don't see a time trial submitted from your PSN ID. Are you sure you submitted it using this form?

16. honky101p9

honky101p9

ok well it said that gt6 name suggested my last name did i do something wrong. please correct me if i am.BY the way im talking about submiting my time to get my division....... sorry for all of the questions

Last edited: Mar 27, 2014
  17. intoflatlines

intoflatlines

I think it's a great combo, good job choosing! I personally found it pretty easy to race cleanly here while still having good passing opportunities. From what I saw, issues from last night were due to a select few drivers that need to really work on their racecraft in general.

chatva and TEX36 like this.
  18. CoachMK21

CoachMK21

I too think it's a great combo. We were at this track in early January,the first week or second when I started SNAIL, in that awful Boss 302 Mustang. This is SOOOO much better, in my opinion, and easier to control. @TEX36 says it perfectly with patience through the esses. There are plenty of passing opportunities, both from the wide track to areas that mistakes can be capitalized upon. Should be a fun couple races.

Nish, intoflatlines, Wolfsatz and 2 others like this.
  19. kcheeb

kcheeb Premium

So am I.

When you fill the form out and click the Submit button, it puts the information you entered into a spreadsheet that's used to place you in a Division. There is no time submitted by you in the spreadsheet, therefore, you can't be placed in a Division.

You need to fill the form out and click the Submit button.

20. Rallywagon

Rallywagon Premium

I wouldn't take any sort of criticism to heart, Tex. With so many drivers, you will never pick one everyone is going to like. It will always be too grippy, to slippery, or too just right. I have no doubt a new rule would have been made if I had ever won the chance to pick a combo. What really needs to happen is for people to pick up some of that pride and learn how to drive. If you have issues spinning or flying off the track. The problem isn't the problem. The problem is how you handle the problem. Slow down! I can't even begin to express how important that one thing is! It seemsnso counter intuitive to slow down in a race, but, it will help. Slow is smooth, smooth is fast. Remeber racing is about consistency. If you can't make it 8 laps in any car on any track without walking around the back end or mowing the lawn, then you are out racing yourself or the car. So slow down. Find a pace that you can turn consistent laps. Push out 8 to 10 laps of consistent cleanness, I promise, you will start to see where you can start picking up time. It is hard to learn where to dial back speed, brake sooner or get on the accelerator later going into/out of a corner while your careening towards a wall, but it is easy to see where you can brake later, turn sooner or later, or where you can get on the gas sooner if you take a corner slower.

21. aliengamer25

aliengamer25

What are the combos the ones on the first page are old, i heard the Megane/Spa, BMW CSL/Apricot Hill, but what's the other because I heard Ascari is leaving? Thanks

22. Troggy

Troggy

The last few pages of the thread tell me that following directions is hard, and literacy is on the decline.

23. kcheeb

kcheeb Premium

:tup: Received the time trial. @JLBowler will be in contact shortly with your division.

24. SCCARACER36

SCCARACER36

25. JLBowler

JLBowler Premium

Given the fact that official practice is less than 12 hours away, we need to get moving on the prize selections.

canucklehead, you have until 2 PM ET to make a decision between prize B and C. If no decision has been made by then, you will be awarded prize B and then @hooker4 will have until 4 PM ET to freeze one part of the combo.

@kcheeb (tagged to notify canucklehead)

Neovre likes this.
  26. Mark II

Mark II

was just going to ask this since it is already Thursday!

27. CoachMK21

CoachMK21

Why is it that we can't tag @CanuckleheadII in the posts?

EDIT:
    It let me tag him when I copied his name from the drivers list, but not when I try to just type it out. Curious...

28. chuyler1

chuyler1 Premium

A few tips based on an evening of driving the BMW at Apricott with mixed division racers.

1) Defense is the best offense. Learn to brake early and run the inside line around every corner without pushing wide. If you miss that apex by half a car length someone behind you can and will snag it up. This is especially important on the first lap. The first few corners you need to protect the track so you can get the fastest exit speed...entry speed doesn't matter one bit and you won't be able to carve a wide line around a corner when 15 other drivers are breathing down your neck. Make it clear to those behind you that you are taking the inside and if they want to make a move it HAS TO BE outside.

2) In order to lead, you must first learn to follow. Learn to follow someone around the track within 1 car length. Assume they know the fastest lines and that they are not going to make any mistakes. If you can stay on their bumper without making contact you'll be in a position to make a clean pass when they do make a mistake. You also may learn a few things too.

3) Lifting off is often faster than passing. Unless you're in 2nd place going for the lead, there are other cars ahead of the one you are trying to pass. If you force a pass on certain parts of the track you will slow down yourself and your opponent, often times by up to 1 second per lap. This can often put other drivers ahead out of reach and will allow drivers behind you to catch up. Simply lifting off, yielding the optimal racing line, and falling in line gives you a chance to pass your opponent later, and perhaps someone else ahead of them.

4) Stay on the track. This can't be stressed enough. In order to win, you first have to finish. During the race, brake a little early to be sure you don't miss the turn. Leave a few feet of track when you track-out of a turn. The extra 100ths you'll get from using the entire track are not worth the risk of putting a tire in the dirt and spinning out. Live to race another corner by running 80-90% of your fastest lap. You'll be rewarded with consistent points and will probably pass plenty of other drivers that don't follow this simple tip.

29. aliengamer25

aliengamer25

Thanks for the good advice man, and you're right most of them wouldn't follow it because its easy to overlook when you're in a race against 15 other people and the adrenaline is pumping

TEX36 likes this.
  30. intoflatlines

intoflatlines

So then if canucklehead doesn't respond in a timely manner, hooker gets to freeze, then we have to again wait/assume canucklehead will make a timely response (or open up voting) before practice tonight? Sounds like a mess.

Good tips. On the first full quali/race I saw you using those skills nicely. You were on my ass for like 2 laps before I disconnected. That was intense :cheers: