1/64 Model Collectors Thread

• Thread starter SVX
  • 55,426 comments

Do you take your cars out of the blisters?

• Yes.

Votes: 315 50.8%
  • Kinda, I open most of them.

Votes: 127 20.5%
  • Nope.

Votes: 90 14.5%
  • Yes and no. I buy a second for opening/customizing.

Votes: 125 20.2%

• Total voters
I've decided I'm going to sell off 99% of my collection so I was wondering if anyone had tips or ideas for prices they would be willing to share.

For basic mainlines, I'm thinking of asking $1 each or 10 cars for $5. Error cars would all be marked as "make offer" and for Treasure Hunts I'll probably go with slightly less than average Ebay value going by the sold listings. All of that would be for carded cars. Loose basic mainlines would be 25 cents each. Other cars such as Real Riders, NASCAR, Racing Champions, Greenlight, etc I haven't decided yet if I'll be parting with those. I'm only concerned with Hot Wheels as I'm typing this. I'm not concerned with return so much as I am with clearing out the cars.

For now I'll be selling everything at train shows and flea markets, so nothing will be online at the moment. However I do want to make that jump eventually but I'm not sure how soon that would be.

When I sell the stuff that isn't in demand, I usually ask for very little to entice a buyer. There are many people selling unpopular mainlines (maybe some you even have) for $1 and they just sit there forever.

You could be lucky if someone picks you over other sellers, but if you want to increase your chances of nailing a transaction, ask for less than what your competition is. At least your items are more desirable based on price alone.

But if you're not in a hurry to sell and are willing to wait weeks - potentially months or years - to get a few extra cents, then go for it.

To give you some perspective, I sold 186 random mix of fantasy, real cars, real riders, non-hot wheels, for $100 in less than a week. I definitely did not get a positive ROI, but I did find a committed buyer in no time. But this is a bulk listing, people never pay 1:1 for bulk. I might've been able to ask for 130, while 150 would've been stretching my luck.

Courtney Force funny car and the Advan Porsche 962. I've been leaving these behind and regretting it everytime I've seen them until now.

20190124_191345.jpg
20190124_191313.jpg

Here's a little update on me selling cars. At first I wasn't sure how to word my response so I wanted to hold off until I did. I also wasn't sure exactly what I wanted to sell, so I went with Hot Wheels since that makes up the most of my sale items.

I reserved a table at a flea market next month, which was already done before I made my initial post. The tables are three feet by eight feet, and I'll use most of it for larger scale or higher value stuff like Treasure Hunts and NASCAR 1:24s. Then whatever is left I'll use for the basic mainlines and other small scale items, carded and loose. I'm only going to take a couple small boxes of those with me. Whatever is left at home I'll just do whatever with them. If I have a chance to sell I will, and I'll also slowly donate stuff when I have the chance. If there's anything I could customize or trade for something, then there's that too. The particular flea market I'm selling at has never really had many Hot Wheels sellers as its mainly model trains and also small in size, so we'll see how it goes.

EDIT: I felt the need to add this in. I say "slowly donate" because there's not a lot of thrift stores near me and I also won't have a lot of free time to drop things off. Plus since it's still winter theres no guarantee I'll be able to get anywhere depending on the weather.

Last edited:
Best Tarmac yet #2. They have really struck gold with RWB. I’m more excited with these releases than with Ignition Model now. I was able to order the Ig RX7’s and they should be shipping any day. But I’m just not interested in receiving them.

The problem with Ig is they just use one design and release different colours. Gets boring after a few times. These Tarmacs are all different in detail and design. Great stuff.

Last edited:
2018 Daytona 500 program car. As of roughly a month ago these were at Ollie's stores along with 2008-09 Dale Jr 1:24s. I can't remember the exact price on these Daytona cars but I do know they were under $8.

20181016_141107.jpg

Not the best choice of wheels for the DR30 IMHO, the aero covers would have been better. The livery (or lack of) is pretty lacklustre too. And #25, where's that from? It's not exactly a significant Nissan related number, #11 or #23 would have made more sense.

All in all, after the highly detailed Circuit Legends cars these seem a bit half baked.

Back