10/20/2007 Demo

• Thread starter M5_dude
  • 897 comments
the GT-R is an incredible drive. Graphically it also look amazing. when you closely look at the interior ou can see the leather stithcing going all over the dashboard, right over the little LCD screen. all the gauges working plus the LCD screen which gives you info on for instance the g-force i think. it's really a beast to drive, with just a slight sense of oversteer if you're driving real racing lines, but it is also possible to flip the back and spin the tyres. a great drive!!!

the lexus...well, it looks alright but there is so much balance missing when cornering. this is a 1600 kg car and the rear breaks away really easy; so watch the throttle!!!

The Atenza is classic Mazda. simply but great interior, subtle engine and great cornering (not the best but just for a 'normal' car, you guys know ;))

Subaru Impreza is avalible now. It's very childish in colours and forms. I dont quiet like it, seems like the EVO has matured while WRX has become a toy =/.

I think you're missing the whole point of the WRX and the EVO. They ARE toys. I'd take an EVO IX over a X just because it's much more raw and brutal.

Checking out the vids on GTTV. There's one in HD but it's taking forever to download.
It is after all a 640 MB file, about 10-15 times larger than the other three. Also, it only took me 15 minutes to download it, which is nearly twice as fast as the typical 20 MB per minute transfer speeds I usually get when downloading content off the PS Stores.

The downside as mentioned in that link is the fact that unlike the PS Stores, there is currently no background downloading. :indiff:

If they are going to be adding 1 hour shows on GT-TV, PD will have to add background downloading support. I suspect they have already for GT5:P, but we shall have to wait and see.

I think you're missing the whole point of the WRX and the EVO. They ARE toys. I'd take an EVO IX over a X just because it's much more raw and brutal.

No i really don't think i am. The WRX isnt a boys toy, its a kids toy. I like the old EVO better too, but I never liked the new evos, they just grow on you. Soon the EVO X will be the one! After i watched the new GT TV video i'm convinced that the EVO X is very raw and brutal. Can't see what's raw and brutal about the WRX though.

No i really don't think i am. The WRX isnt a boys toy, its a kids toy. I like the old EVO better too, but I never liked the new evos, they just grow on you. Soon the EVO X will be the one! After i watched the new GT TV video i'm convinced that the EVO X is very raw and brutal. Can't see what's raw and brutal about the WRX though.

You obviously haven't read what the big publications are saying. It's a much more grown up car that's more docile. I agree that's it a better CAR, but in my mind it's not a better EVO. Oh, and if the WRX is a kids toy, then the EVO definitely falls into the same category. Who else buys a $30+k salloon with a $10k interior?

I love how this article speaks as if Americans didnt know about the Skyline GT-R until the Fast and the Furious came out.

I don't think anybody I've talked to outside of the GT world knows about the Skyline. As famous as it is in right-hand drive countries, it just isn't that well known in North America. There's gonna be a few open mouths when they first see the new one!

GT5P Demo is getting better the more i play it, however it would be nice to have some better force feedback for the G25. :)

Is it just me or have the cockpit view shadows been improved? I don't seem to see as many jaggies? Or is it just all in my head?

The graphics in general have improved through some sort of update. Many members have noticed this, so its not in your head

I just love the stiching...everywhere on the cars. Adds a new sense of realism. I also love the different textures of the steering wheels. The Lexus' steering wheel looks real. You can see every little bump. The Lighting in the Daihtsu is the most impressive. It looks great on the cream colored seats.

PD has gone that extra mile. I just love how when you look back through tinted windows the outside world is tinted.

The only gripe I have left about the graphics is that the shadows are too dark. I couldn't tell there was a subwoofer in between the 2 rear seats of the Nisan GT-R until the sun shined directly on it. SO much detail is being missed/overlooked because you simply can't see it. These shadows are OK if the time of day was dusk or dawn, but the position of the sun says 1 or 2 o'clock and areas in shadows are NOT that dark at that time of day.

The best looking game I've ever seen

Well this demo has done it's job. I want GT5:P SO BAD...5 tracks, 40 of these cars and online racing....I must have it

The graphics in general have improved through some sort of update. Many members have noticed this, so its not in your head

This is what I thought, it's just wierd when your're playing one day and the next day you pick it up and you notice something is different but you're just not sure what exactly. I mean it's good that they're updating the game on the fly so to speak, but I was also about to reach for my crazy pills:crazy: at the same time.

I reallly need to get an HDTV soon to appreaciate all the details. I agree with you on the dark shadows as they are too dark on my screen as well.

GT5P Demo is getting better the more i play it, however it would be nice to have some better force feedback for the G25. :)

I don't know... i still don't see the force feedback issue people keep bringing up, there's feedback when you should feel it, just like in a car. a car's wheel doesnt' have Gforces....

GT4 did, maybe they could add an option for people who like to feel gforces in the wheel? (i personaly don't.) and people like myself who preffer the wheel to feel realistic could just have the actual feedback instead.

i love the force feedback!!! especially how you can actually feel the pillars under the road going over the cross over bridge after the east section:drool:

I was unable to download the new video, after a moment of trying to download it would give me an error and take me back to the GT-TV page. anyone else have this problem?

I don't know... i still don't see the force feedback issue people keep bringing up, there's feedback when you should feel it, just like in a car. a car's wheel doesnt' have Gforces....

GT4 did, maybe they could add an option for people who like to feel gforces in the wheel? (i personaly don't.) and people like myself who preffer the wheel to feel realistic could just have the actual feedback instead.

There's no other place for me to feel it. Unless they unveil a GT5 FFB racing seat. :D

I like the additional wheel feedback in GT4, whatever it is composed of.

I don't know... i still don't see the force feedback issue people keep bringing up, there's feedback when you should feel it, just like in a car.

Feels weak to me – though it is probably exacerbated by the Nardi wheel (original Lotus Elise wheel) I've put on my G25. Seems considerably less than the DFP.

I persuaded my wife to try it and her first comment was, "Is it supposed to feel so loose?" Far less resistance to input and tugging at the wheel when you get it sideways than on a real car. IMO, if it was about 4 x as powerful, it would be realistic.

Oh – and I've got another problem with the demo. I made a Japanese Playstation account (so who knows what I clicked when filling it in :)) – and downloaded the demo. It is only in black and white for me :(. I'm in Switzerland (PAL, not NTSC, TV system) anyone else had this problem?

Well this demo has done it's job. I want GT5:P SO BAD...5 tracks, 40 of these cars and online racing....I must have it
It certainly has, I can't get enough of this demo despite it being just a single track. It's fantastic fun racing around with a wheel. It can be a bit hard if you use the economy tyres, I had a race earlier in the Mazda, I finished 8th, where I started, but all through the race I was battling with the cars around me and swapping positions. I rarely got bumped as well.

Actually, the only time I've had a car slam into the back of me with any force was when I started to brake really early for the chicane at the end of the track. And that was because I was trying to watch the preview of 24 season 7 at the same time as take the corner.

:) Black GTR So Rocks :)

I wonder if my bank will let me borrow $70,000 !

The demo is very well done and they gave us one of the longer and harder tracks to race on. Really would like to run a few laps at Daytona. Hope they fix it where A.I. does not go below yellow line so much.
Sounds are improved. It would be nice to be able to adjust sound level of differnt things like, engine, tire and outside noise such as wind.

Looks like this weekend will be a race weekend

Should they make 500 laps of Daytona one of the endurance races ?

Enjoy your races, I know I will ~~~ Later ~~~

(sorry Kamus, couldn't find that wheel :rolleyes:)
Famine
The sound is much improved. I plumb my sound through a pair of Yamaha MS-101/II Monitor Speakers and the cars certainly don't sound like "modified leaf-blowers".
Thats exactly what you'd need:sly:. Even with my crap PC speakers, the videos I've seen of GTR demonstrate such a vast symphony of sounds I never even knew a car makes. And I JUST LOVE the sound of the rocks hitting the side walls!:dopey: The maligners are speaking of the essence of the sound, which is not essentially different enough from GT3 and GT4..

And I just have a regular question..Is every movement registered on the screen when you use the wheel in the cockpit view? There seems to be a delay in the videos I see..:guilty:

Thats exactly what you'd need:sly:. Even with my crap PC speakers, the videos I've seen of GTR demonstrate such a vast symphony of sounds I never even knew a car makes. And I JUST LOVE the sound of the rocks hitting the side walls!:dopey: The maligners are speaking of the essence of the sound, which is not essentially different enough from GT3 and GT4..

And I just have a regular question..Is every movement registered on the screen when you use the wheel in the cockpit view? There seems to be a delay in the videos I see..

So we're going to compare the sounds of RACE CARS to the sounds of a Daihtsu and Luxury cars?

Something tells me that some believe every car, no matter if it is just a economy car, should sound like something out of fast and the furious.

The Nissan GT-R sounds the best why? Because it's the only true playable performance car.

As for the wheel issues, what do you expect when the hand's range is just 100 degrees but the DFP range 900degrees

The issue is that the feedback is fairly weak feeling, even with it turned on srong. I'm pushing the cars hard yet the feedback in my wheel feels about the same as when I am on my daily commute to work.

This is most noticed on things like the rumble strips where I feel them, but just barely.

----------------------------------

After playing with the GT-R and STi last night I have decided that I just cannot handle the GT-R. I had the same issue in GT4 with most of the Skyline models. I struggle to keep it under control and it doesn't help that Suzuka has been one track that has always given me trouble.

But then when I got in the STi with the exact same wheels and settings I found myself flying through the track without an issue and having a ton of fun. I don't know, just something about the GT-R doesn't get along with me. :indiff:

The issue is that the feedback is fairly weak feeling, even with it turned on srong. I'm pushing the cars hard yet the feedback in my wheel feels about the same as when I am on my daily commute to work.

This is most noticed on things like the rumble strips where I feel them, but just barely.

----------------------------------

After playing with the GT-R and STi last night I have decided that I just cannot handle the GT-R. I had the same issue in GT4 with most of the Skyline models. I struggle to keep it under control and it doesn't help that Suzuka has been one track that has always given me trouble.

But then when I got in the STi with eth exact same wheels and settinsg I found myself flying through the track without an issue and having a ton of fun. I don't know, just something about the GT-R doesn't get along with me. :indiff:

I agree, there needs to be more feedback through the wheel, as you say it feels like a daily commute to work. I do feel its a whole new learning curve.
An open circuit would be so as you can just drive infinite laps and get more of a feel. The shadows at the chicane are to dark aswell, like going in to a tunnel.

Thing is a road car on track feels like a road car on the road. Just because you're going a bit quicker doesn't change the steering feel - things just happen a bit faster.

A road car always feels like a road car - track or road. A track car, on the other hand, always feels like a track car. It's just as hard work on the road...

I'd quite like them to simulate different cars' steering differently though. The notion that a Ford Focus has the same steering feel as a Caterham Fireblade is quite ridiculous.

well when you are on the track, you can drive differently than on the road. you can push the car more, fighting against g-force and grip. which should put more pressure on steering.

but yea, having different steering setups for different cars would be awesome.

Thing is a road car on track feels like a road car on the road. Just because you're going a bit quicker doesn't change the steering feel - things just happen a bit faster.

A road car always feels like a road car - track or road. A track car, on the other hand, always feels like a track car. It's just as hard work on the road...

I'd quite like them to simulate different cars' steering differently though. The notion that a Ford Focus has the same steering feel as a Caterham Fireblade is quite ridiculous.
Did I mention that my daily commute is 40 miles on the interstate?

And I have thrown my real-life car through some tight turns at high speeds, making the TCS come on, and driven it over 100mph (open road, no one around, I couldn't resist). Trust me, I know what pushing my car feels like and with the overly smooth electric assist power steering it gives me more road feel than this demo does, but I am assuming it is the demo and no lasting fault on PD's part.

It is just that when I do things like run over rumble strips in-game I feel it, but barely. I get more feel IRL from running over reflectors on the road.

Maybe this is how these slightly more advanced than a rabbit kind of cars should handle and I just got used to GT4 giving me plenty of situations where I felt like I would have to fight for control because I could feel the resistance in a slide or when trying to prevent a spin.

All that said, one thing I noticed last night, while spinning off into the gravel pit and slowing down in a sideways slide I felt the wheel get pulled by the resistance in the gravel. I recall GT4 just making the wheel shake like I was on loose gravel on asphalt. This felt much more like I would expect deep loose gravel designed to slow a car down to feel.

Yep, true but wheel FFB (in game) is actually a substitute for the "lack of the feeling" you get when a car moves (which you feel in your bottom). Because we don't have motion simulators, we need to "feel" it through the wheel altough it's not realistic. :)

But I do think that a real race car's wheel has more forces than we know, unless they have power steering etc...

I guess...

Here is a nice challenge

• Nissan GT-R

• No aids

• Professional physics

• S2 tires

Now try and win. It's pretty hard and if you can do it you're very good.

I've only managed to do so cleanly just twice now out of many, many attempts.

I have a question for the ones here with Forza 2 experience...

Is it true that the Easy Mode in GT5P Demo has similar physics to Forza 2?

Back