2012 European Grand Prix

• Thread starter Matty
  • 953 comments
I nearly had an aneursym when I saw green flags waved as Vettel's car was being pushed aside during racing conditions. FFS, wave yellow flags if you're not going to use the safety car!

Was surprised to see the Red Bull of Vettel dropping out, anyone know what was the problem?

Apparently alternator issues the same as with Grosjean.

On that, did anyone else notice the onboard of Grosjean showing that after he lost drive he got on the KERS button? Wasn't sure if this was a clever way to put some drive to the rear wheels past the engine and gearbox (not sure how drive is reapplied) or protocol.

I nearly had an aneursym when I saw green flags waved as Vettel's car was being pushed aside during racing conditions. FFS, wave yellow flags if you're not going to use the safety car!

They did a similar thing in monaco. The marshals on the inside of turn 1 right where any crashing car would go yet a late safety car.

This may be the reason why neither Hamilton nor Raikkonen was punished for passing under yellow flags. Race control would have seen the third sector as being under double-waved yellows, but it appears that no flags were shown - and then everyone arrived on the scene of Vettel's retirement at race speed. The only reason why that would happen is if there were no yellow flags present.

How similar can things be? :D
Valencia 2012 vs Magny-Cours 2006:

397572_448579291832868_1790620136_n.jpg

How similar can things be? :D
Valencia 2012 vs Magny-Cours 2006:

397572_448579291832868_1790620136_n.jpg

Funny how they have all switched teams, but each team is almost there...

With the exception of McLaren and Mercedes but Merc had a bigger role in McLaren back then. :P

Driver of the day: Sebastian Vettel.

I see that Seb bias creeping through again astros ;) He basically did his usual trick of leading lights to flag, only without the flag bit. Was Alonso's drive through from 11th - or Webber's from 19th - not more impressive than just sitting out front all race?

I see that Seb bias creeping through again astros ;) He basically did his usual trick of leading lights to flag, only without the flag bit. Was Alonso's drive through from 11th - or Webber's from 19th - not more impressive than just sitting out front all race?

Their pace wasn't mind blowing. Those running faster than Alonso either broke down or crashed into someone/got crashed into. The safety car helped them out a lot too. Webber probably would been in the top ten of qualifying if his DRS had worked.

PeterJB
Their pace wasn't mind blowing. Those running faster than Alonso either broke down or crashed into someone/got crashed into. The safety car helped them out a lot too. Webber probably would been in the top ten of qualifying if his DRS had worked.

And that's the thing, Alonso doesn't crash. He's the talent and mental will of Senna with the tactical brilliance and conditional forbearance of a Prost, and just as full of himself as both of them put together. But when you have the skills to pay the bills, you can act like that.

You make it sound like all his place gains were fluke. He passed a lot of people - just watching the race made that clear. It's worth remembering he was already in second by the time Seb retired, so he'd already done most of the work.

Alonso made three places off the grid, passed Maldonado (cleanly, natch), jumped Raikkonen in the pits and then passed - on the circuit - three more drivers (Webber, Senna and Schumacher). He passed Lewis after Hamilton had his pit troubles. Then Vettel after the safety car period when his car went pop.

I make that seven places gained on track, two in the pits and only one due to someone else's misfortune...

Judging by the rumours that Seb was on a three-stop strategy, his race was looking marginal even before his bad luck. Even more so after the safety car.

Was interesting to see Vettel back to his old ways in terms of pace, but I'd certainly not say he was driver of the day.

I make that seven places gained on track, two in the pits and only one due to someone else's misfortune...

Grosjean at the restart makes that 8. Was very impressive indeed, but my feeling is that going out in Q2 helped as he had fresher tyres in the race, allowing him to push harder for longer. Safety car then also bunched the pack up nicely for him, but you need to make the best of such luck, and when it plays out you have to be in the position to pounce which he was.

You make it sound like all his place gains were fluke. He passed a lot of people - just watching the race made that clear. It's worth remembering he was already in second by the time Seb retired, so he'd already done most of the work.

Alonso made three places off the grid, passed Maldonado (cleanly, natch), jumped Raikkonen in the pits and then passed - on the circuit - three more drivers (Webber, Senna and Schumacher). He passed Lewis after Hamilton had his pit troubles. Then Vettel after the safety car period when his car went pop.

Judging by the rumours that Seb was on a three-stop strategy, his race was looking marginal even before his bad luck. Even more so after the safety car.

Was interesting to see Vettel back to his old ways in terms of pace, but I'd certainly not say he was driver of the day.

Alonso passed Grosjean at the restart as well.

Redbul still has the fastest car but for only a few laps. Vettel is able to pull away quickly but then again gets caught up with tire wearing quickly than the rest of the field. Lotus has a better tire wear so does mclaren. Ferrari has a better race pace and with Fernando behind wheel and the pit stops working 100%, its had to beat this amazing combo that is Fernando/ Ferrari

Vettel is the same old Vettel. But his RB8 is almost an entirely new car in the rear suspension, sidepods, exhaust, floor, etc. He was 20 seconds up the road then all his top opponents had to pit. He might have won by a minute. I'm sure he was on a 2 stop strategy. Webber the journeyman went from 19th to 4th with ease and aplomb.

I believe all the others are currently very worried Red Bull has them very well covered in terms of pace for the next any number of races. The ugly possibility of a Vettel steamroller now looms!

Respectfully,
Steve

Vettel is the same old Vettel. But his RB8 is almost an entirely new car in the rear suspension, sidepods, exhaust, floor, etc. He was 20 seconds up the road then all his top opponents had to pit. He might have won by a minute. I'm sure he was on a 2 stop strategy. Webber the journeyman went from 19th to 4th with ease and aplomb.

I believe all the others are currently very worried Red Bull has them very well covered in terms of pace for the next any number of races. The ugly possibility of a Vettel steamroller now looms!

It depends.

I don't doubt that Vettel's pace has been there all year, just masked when he's had a sub-par qualifying and not been able to capitalise out front. Even the most ardent Vettel fan has to admit that he's much better with a clear track ahead of him than he is when he has to fight through the field, and much of this year his qualifying position has meant he's had to fight through the field. Thus, we've not seen 2011 Vettel.

Valencia was different, and we definitely saw 2011 Vettel.

However, I'm not so sure that 2011 Vettel is going to make regular appearances from now on. It's rather unprecedented, but there are simply far too many equally competitive packages this year. And I still think we'll see that 8th, 9th and maybe even 10th different winner before the year is out.

And if he continues as he has been doing, I think it'll be Alonso on the top at the end.

Not that I'm discounting Vettel entirely, as that'd be foolish...

Respectfully,
Steve

They could be hampered by reliability issues like in 2010. But that doesn't seem too likely, considering this is their first actual retirement this season where something was wrong with the car.

But on the bright side, this was the first race they looked to be running away with it. The previous races didn't involve Vettel on cruise control so I expect the action to resume when we hit Silverstone.

They could be hampered by reliability issues like in 2010. But that doesn't seem too likely, considering this is their first actual retirement this season where something was wrong with the car.

Red Bull haven't had a mechanical retirement since 2010.

Didn't Vettel retire in Malaysia this year? Or did he continue? Can't remember.

And they had one yesterday. :lol:

Well, until now. :)

He drove back to the pits with a puncture, put on a new set of boots and continued, but failed to get back in to the points.

What was the cause of his dnf again? Could the new parts be overheating due to the new parts? I heard it happened to Lotus car as well, Grojean

(...)
Maldonado is fast and obviously has talent but has a serious problem with being overly aggressive and lacking patience, he got off lightly with a 20 second penalty, though knowing that he ruined his own chance of a podium result was probably punishment enough in his eyes.

Agree with first part, and second, not the third. He just blamed Hamilton.

Still can't believe how Renault can get into trouble with safety car, overheating, alternator issues and what not... they had it in the bag.

Back