2014 United Sports Car Championship

  • Thread starter Thread starter Earth
  • 6,133 comments
  • 323,219 views
For anyone doubting the safety of tubeframe DP's. From Marshall Pruett's new column on Racer.com

Curious as to your thoughts regarding relative safety of carbon vs. tubeframe cars in IMSA. Clearly, Memo Gidley's accident at Daytona was huge, but hopefully educational for the series and constructors. I think we all want spectacular and fast cars, but safety must always come first.

Randy Brink

MP: Memo’s crash was unique in that the major damage took place when the gearbox of the Ferrari F458 he struck impaled his Riley-Chevy Corvette DP chassis. The speed differential was something like 100mph or more, and in that scenario, the F458’s transmission was not going to be stopped by a carbon tub with aluminum bulkheads. The head-on nature of the crash is what made steel tubing the right material for the job. Even with Zylon panels in place, a ton of crushable impact structure would have been needed to stop the gearbox from entering the cockpit. The Riley’s steel tubeframe construction allowed it to bend and deform, stopping the gearbox from penetrating the cockpit. Bending and deforming isn’t something carbon tubs are known for. For this specific crash, I’m thankful he was in a DP.
 
That's almost what they said on the Magnus webcast, about the tube frame being able to bend.
 
So you're anti-Le Mans as far as American teams going...

I don't know how the hell you say you aren't anti then you say you are anti...I guess to a limited degree can be offered but uh, yeah.

Are you telling me that Greg Pickett has more resources than a guy like Chip Ganassi? Perhaps Rahal Letterman and Corvette umbrella more money into their teams then most of the DP groups on the grid. Even the one team sponsored by Carlos Slim that I already mentioned?

Also it doesn't make FIA Homologation pointless considering the expiration date would be different than IMSA and a team could cheaply lease out their cars to a satellite group and share the wealth of potential success in P2 which I'd say isn't nearly as tough as P1, the cars are pretty close.
Ok here's the point I'm making: Corvette, SRT, and others that do go over are going on the blank check of the manufacturer. When Starworks went to the WEC and cleaned house, they didn't even have a program the next year. Before any team can cross an ocean and race, it has to make fiscal sense. I'm a realist in that I haven't seen a mass invasion of Le Mans by American teams really ever, so why keep jumping through hoops so something that hasn't happened magically will? With only 55 garages for the time being at Le Mans, some American teams got denied. Risi/Krohn's entry was turned down. When there are more garages, maybe we'll see some more American teams, but making the rules for car classes the same globally won't make it where we see half the IMSA grid at Le Mans year in and year out.

Ideally, sports car racing gains more attention from corporate America. In that case, we'll see some more teams going across the pond, but until that happens, there won't be much cross over.
 
http://sportscar365.com/imsa/tusc/2014-tv-schedule-announced/

2014 TUDOR United SportsCar Championship Television Schedule (subject to change)

Date Track Time/Network (ET) Length
March 15 Sebring Int’l Raceway – first three hours 10 a.m. on FS1 (Live) 3 hrs
March 16 Sebring Int’l Raceway – cut-down show 8:30 a.m. on FS1 3 hrs
April 12 Grand Prix of Long Beach 6 p.m. on FS1 (Live) 2 hrs
May 4 Mazda Raceway – Race 1 (PC/GTD) 1 p.m. on FS1 (Live) 2.5 hrs
Mazda Raceway – Race 2 (P/GTLM) 5:30 p.m. on FS1 (Live) 2.5 hrs
May 31 The Raceway at Belle Isle Park 1:30 p.m. on FS1 (SDD) 2 hours
June 29 Watkins Glen International 11 a.m. on FS1 (Live) 6.5 hrs
July 13 Canadian Tire Motorsport Park 2 p.m. on FS1 (Live) 3 hrs
July 25 Indianapolis Motor Speedway 7 p.m. on FS1 (SDD) 3 hrs
August 10 Road America 6:30 p.m. on FS1 (SDD) 3 hrs
August 24 Virginia International Raceway 4 p.m. on FS1 (Live) 3 hours
September 20 Circuit of the Americas TBD on FS2 3 hours
October 4 Road Atlanta 11 a.m. on FS2 (Live) 10.5 hrs
October 5 Road Atlanta – cut-down show 8 a.m. on FS1 3 hrs

Kansas PC/IMSA lites race get no coverage other than twitter.:boggled: This sounds like a test session,not a race.


Greg Creamer and Johnny O hired for MRN with Ryan Eversley 👍👍
 
Other than Sebring, PLM, and Kansas, not too bad.

Glad to see some guys who know a little more about sports car racing in the booth. Eli roll damn tide Gold wasn't the guy I'd want in there
 
Greg Creamer and Johnny O hired for MRN with Ryan Eversley 👍👍

Thank the forces that be, the other announcers were grinding my ears.
 
That's actually really great news, the TV schedule is great and MRN hiring John O, Greg Creamer, and Ryan Eversley is even better, at least they know what they're talking about. It's nice to be reading news that makes everyone happy for once about the new series, someone over at TUSCC woke up and smelt the coffee :)
 
Has anyone seen a confirmation as to how long these races are going to be?
No need to mention Sebring, The Glen or Petit.

I guessing 2 hours, 45 minutes. with the 3 hour coverage.
 
Has anyone seen a confirmation as to how long these races are going to be?
No need to mention Sebring, The Glen or Petit.

I guessing 2 hours, 45 minutes. with the 3 hour coverage.
That's the standard length and coverage for normal races. Both Laguna Seca races will have live coverage I believe. We get to see some night racing with the P and GTLM fields
 
Ok here's the point I'm making: Corvette, SRT, and others that do go over are going on the blank check of the manufacturer. When Starworks went to the WEC and cleaned house, they didn't even have a program the next year. Before any team can cross an ocean and race, it has to make fiscal sense. I'm a realist in that I haven't seen a mass invasion of Le Mans by American teams really ever, so why keep jumping through hoops so something that hasn't happened magically will? With only 55 garages for the time being at Le Mans, some American teams got denied. Risi/Krohn's entry was turned down. When there are more garages, maybe we'll see some more American teams, but making the rules for car classes the same globally won't make it where we see half the IMSA grid at Le Mans year in and year out.

One, yet again you've displayed you don't know what you're talking about when it comes to the global politics of Motorsports, you're much better suited to local (national level) knowledge of what goes on and even that gets questionable from time to time. A mass invasion doesn't happen because of the competition being quite strong but when you look at the GTLM field most of those teams and drivers have dealt in part in some form or another with Le Mans, same goes with P teams that aren't running DP cars. If American manufactures were serious about fighting in LMP then we'd see more presence but it is easier to sell a brand world wide for less by doing it in the GT grouping and this is obvious with Chevy Corvette, SRT Viper, Ford in the past and so on, you also have BMW America and Flying Lizard.

Not sure what you're talking about but plenty go and have gone and make it back for the American race. Also we don't need to see half the IMSA grid at Le Mans. You may personally like that, but there are groups from EMS, WEC, TUDOR, Asian series and so on. I think internationally there should be a mandated style of car that every series has that is of Prototype class. Le Mans is older than any American series and due to the prestige is why people want to go whether you like it or not. Even if winning isn't realistic, it's achieving a racing dream, not realistic view you have.

Ideally, sports car racing gains more attention from corporate America. In that case, we'll see some more teams going across the pond, but until that happens, there won't be much cross over.

Yet again there has been plenty of cross over. What exactly does corporate America have to do?
 
One, yet again you've displayed you don't know what you're talking about when it comes to the global politics of Motorsports, you're much better suited to local (national level) knowledge of what goes on and even that gets questionable from time to time. A mass invasion doesn't happen because of the competition being quite strong but when you look at the GTLM field most of those teams and drivers have dealt in part in some form or another with Le Mans, same goes with P teams that aren't running DP cars. If American manufactures were serious about fighting in LMP then we'd see more presence but it is easier to sell a brand world wide for less by doing it in the GT grouping and this is obvious with Chevy Corvette, SRT Viper, Ford in the past and so on, you also have BMW America and Flying Lizard.

Not sure what you're talking about but plenty go and have gone and make it back for the American race. Also we don't need to see half the IMSA grid at Le Mans. You may personally like that, but there are groups from EMS, WEC, TUDOR, Asian series and so on. I think internationally there should be a mandated style of car that every series has that is of Prototype class. Le Mans is older than any American series and due to the prestige is why people want to go whether you like it or not. Even if winning isn't realistic, it's achieving a racing dream, not realistic view you have.



Yet again there has been plenty of cross over. What exactly does corporate America have to do?
Since you obviously know more than me, what's your solution... :indiff:

On a more positive note, 60 CTSCC entries for Sebring. Hopefully it won't be a crashfest
 
Since you obviously know more than me, what's your solution... :indiff:

On a more positive note, 60 CTSCC entries for Sebring. Hopefully it won't be a crashfest

I thought you liked bloated grids. Also I gave you my solution in my post did you stop reading after I told you, you were wrong...
 
I thought you liked bloated grids. Also I gave you my solution in my post did you stop reading after I told you, you were wrong...
I mean 67 cars is almost as many cars that Sebring has had in the past 2 years combined. I'm stoked about that. We've got a new DP engine making its first race. AIM is back in GTD. There's an actual stream for the whole race. There's plenty going for the series.

All I got from that post was this: You stating more/less what I'm saying, but somehow I don't know about how sports car racing works :lol:
 
I guess I spoke too soon about everyone being happy, all I'm reading around the net are people upset about MRN continuing to broadcast, I for one applaud who is ever responsible for the "change", it's a step in the right direction for sure. Facebook is the best though, it's amazing what people will post to the public with their real name when they're upset. I've even read people aren't watching the race this year because of various reasons including lack of LMP1 cars.. :lol:. I mean, I'm going to miss seeing them at Sebring and it'll be odd at first, but I'm going to watch it. :p Racings racing to me I guess.
 
For anyone doubting the safety of tubeframe DP's. From Marshall Pruett's new column on Racer.com

Carbon tubs arent as safe as some people make them out to be. When a carbon tub fails it fails big time. Alex Zanardi's crash is probably the worst example
 
Carbon tubs arent as safe as some people make them out to be. When a carbon tub fails it fails big time. Alex Zanardi's crash is probably the worst example
Very very true. I'm glad Memo was in a DP. Who knows what would've happened had he been in a carbon tub for that specific incident
 
Very very true. I'm glad Memo was in a DP. Who knows what would've happened had he been in a carbon tub for that specific incident
Carbon tub safety has improved a lot since the Zanardi accident. In Memo's situation with a carbon tub his legs probably would have been okay, but he would have suffered neck/back injuries (probably a slipped disk) which would put him out for a comparable amount of time.

In a typical high speed crash a carbon tub is safer, but in this specific (very rare) circumstance the tube frame is as safe, if not safer. Overall I would still feel more safe in a carbon tub (or DTM style) as opposed to a tube frame chassis.
 
Carbon tub safety has improved a lot since the Zanardi accident. In Memo's situation with a carbon tub his legs probably would have been okay, but he would have suffered neck/back injuries (probably a slipped disk) which would put him out for a comparable amount of time.

In a typical high speed crash a carbon tub is safer, but in this specific (very rare) circumstance the tube frame is as safe, if not safer. Overall I would still feel more safe in a carbon tub (or DTM style) as opposed to a tube frame chassis.

I'd want a steel roll cage on whatever I'm racing. Closed cockpit too. I think both are very safe. The tubes bend and contort whereas the carbon is strong enough to let everything else shear off around it. I think the GT safety standards need much more attention than the Prototype safety standards at the moment
 
I'd want a steel roll cage on whatever I'm racing. Closed cockpit too. I think both are very safe. The tubes bend and contort whereas the carbon is strong enough to let everything else shear off around it. I think the GT safety standards need much more attention than the Prototype safety standards at the moment
Sorry, should have made myself clearer. I was referring to an Audi style full cockpit carbon tub. I don't feel that the open-top prototypes are particularly safe, as the shape of the car could lead to devastating head injuries (see the Oreca flying though the air and barely missing McNish's head at Monza a few years back). But I'd take an Audi (DTM or LMP1, take your pick) chassis over a DP chassis any way of the week.
 
I think the new DTM solution is the best there is, assuming the rollcage continues through the tub.

fa101010247_190522951112116_2088300847_n.jpg


There needs to be some give. The problem with a solid tub is that at its breaking point it just cracks and fails completely. I know theres suppose to be crush zones around it, but have you seen the crush zone on an openwheel car or LMP? On a a LMP1 this is all that stands between a driver and a concerete wall:
Peugeot908Sebring2008-MP1.jpg

Ive seen roll cages twist and bend, but Ive never seen them completely fail. But I do remember numerous carbon tubs failing in Indycar. Not so many recently, which could be due to upgrades. The last incident I know of is Tony Rennas car breaking in two right at the drivers seat which no doubt contributed to his passing. Have the tubs really improved since then or have the circumstances just not been there?
 
I mean 67 cars is almost as many cars that Sebring has had in the past 2 years combined. I'm stoked about that. We've got a new DP engine making its first race. AIM is back in GTD. There's an actual stream for the whole race. There's plenty going for the series.

All I got from that post was this: You stating more/less what I'm saying, but somehow I don't know about how sports car racing works :lol:

Then you didn't read my post, I wasn't echoing you, and I don't know how I could and still claim you're wrong...

Also I never said you didn't know how sports car racing per say works, but you're not very privy of international racing as you've displayed many times on this thread. I wouldn't expect you to be because you've echoed some almost religious alignment to American Sports Car racing and that is fine. However, you still didn't read or understand what I've said which was only stating that you're not correct about Le Mans and others would agree with me.
 
Thanks for sharing! I'm pumped for the race! :cheers:
I'm good for finding the YouTube tapes. If I find 1 you guys will see it too with having to be a YouTube hunter. I think I might start a YouTube channel op for guys to catch up on all the epic events this year.
 
I think the new DTM solution is the best there is, assuming the rollcage continues through the tub.

fa101010247_190522951112116_2088300847_n.jpg


There needs to be some give. The problem with a solid tub is that at its breaking point it just cracks and fails completely. I know theres suppose to be crush zones around it, but have you seen the crush zone on an openwheel car or LMP? On a a LMP1 this is all that stands between a driver and a concerete wall:
Peugeot908Sebring2008-MP1.jpg

Ive seen roll cages twist and bend, but Ive never seen them completely fail. But I do remember numerous carbon tubs failing in Indycar. Not so many recently, which could be due to upgrades. The last incident I know of is Tony Rennas car breaking in two right at the drivers seat which no doubt contributed to his passing. Have the tubs really improved since then or have the circumstances just not been there?
The DTM model is what I would want protecting me. I think the GT cars should be up to a similar standard. The side impact zone is a fatality waiting to happen on some of those cars
 
Back