2014 United Sports Car Championship

• Thread starter Earth
  • 6,133 comments
I'm probably wrong here, but I think that a lot of GM's V8-GDI tech came from the C6R and C7R. Why couldn't SRT keep the program and and actually use the tech it acquired from racing in production Vipers?

Can I just say, I have had a lot to try and watch through only YouTube. I have had The Blancpain Endurance and Sprint Series, GT Open, the WEC, ELMS and TUSCC. Invariably I have had to miss a lot. But the TUSCC has reaffirmed that next year I really should devote my 2015 entirely to Sportscar Racing with a bit of NASCAR and PWC thrown in to balance my love of production car style racing. OK, I will sadly miss the Total 24hrs of Spa but I still get my favorite GT teams but I will also clearly perhaps the best racing which is my point.

The Petit Le Mans is turning out to be brilliant wheel-to-wheel racing and I have only just started watching it. This augers really well for the future of sportscar racing in the US if this can be a standard bearer. I can only see more manufacturers and top drivers get involved if 2014 can continue. I can't wait for the 2015 24hrs of Daytona.

U-S-A!! Sorry...couldn't resist! :lol:

That whole 'stopping the racing program to concentrate on road cars' is baloney. They're stopping the racing because it's blood expensive and isn't proving to help them shift more road cars.

Can I just say, I have had a lot to try and watch through only YouTube. I have had The Blancpain Endurance and Sprint Series, GT Open, the WEC, ELMS and TUSCC. Invariably I have had to miss a lot. But the TUSCC has reaffirmed that next year I really should devote my 2015 entirely to Sportscar Racing with a bit of NASCAR and PWC thrown in to balance my love of production car style racing. OK, I will sadly miss the Total 24hrs of Spa but I still get my favorite GT teams but I will also clearly perhaps the best racing which is my point.

The Petit Le Mans is turning out to be brilliant wheel-to-wheel racing and I have only just started watching it. This augers really well for the future of sportscar racing in the US if this can be a standard bearer. I can only see more manufacturers and top drivers get involved if 2014 can continue. I can't wait for the 2015 24hrs of Daytona.

U-S-A!! Sorry...couldn't resist! :lol:
I can't wait either!! I got my hotel reservations and super ticket purchased in August. Petit was an excellent race from beginning to end. Crazy finish in PC

I can't wait either!! I got my hotel reservations and super ticket purchased in August. Petit was an excellent race from beginning to end. Crazy finish in PC
As in you got your hotel for this past race just this past August?

Ok, because I have trouble finding affordable rooms for Petit in March.
I get a hotel on the beach for the Rolex 24. Offseason rates for beach rooms are usually pretty affordable. Road Atlanta doesn't have nearly as many places around it, and those that do jack up prices for that weekend because they know that's a race weekend.

I get a hotel on the beach for the Rolex 24. Offseason rates for beach rooms are usually pretty affordable. Road Atlanta doesn't have nearly as many places around it, and those that do jack up prices for that weekend because they know that's a race weekend.
I once checked prices to rent a house at Lake Lanier. I can rent lakeside cabins in Kentucky on a holiday weekend for about half. It gets insane down there. I try to plan my trip the moment they announce the schedule. I occasionally slip in a good deal at smaller places before prices jump.

Then I also get free infield parking, so I manage to do the trip fairly reasonable.

This is why you camp! It's alot cheaper and easier...but eh it has it's issues. I wish I was going back to see Rolex this year but things are too tight, 2016 I will be there again. I'm still trying to figure out how to do COTA the PLM, it will be expensive for COTA.

@cnd01 what hotel do you stay at? I don't mind a little bit of a drive as I know the beach isn't right at the rack.

This is the advantage of having friends at Uni- I can crash in their dorm, so free lodging! Hoping to hit Laguna and Long Beach this year. COTA is a bit far.

So Krohn is going LMP2, Risi is threatening to leave TUSCC, Viper's gone...and Corvette *may* go to WEC instead (take that with a grain of salt)...that brings it down to:
2 Corvettes*
2 BMWs
3 Porsches (maybe 4 if Falken expands to another car as they hope)
1 (or maybe 0) Ferrari*
Well there goes the neighborhood. :ill: GTD can't change to FIA GT3 soon enough. We may end up with Pro and Pro-Am GT3 classes. Course that'd be nice. :P

Last edited:
I honestly think that if Corvette Racing went to WEC, they'd probably have a team that they'd leave stateside. GM has always focused its main efforts in the US, and I really can't see GM leaving the US sports car racing scene entirely.

So Krohn is going LMP2, Risi is threatening to leave TUSCC, Viper's gone...and Corvette *may* go to WEC instead (take that with a grain of salt)...that brings it down to:
2 Corvettes*
2 BMWs
3 Porsches (maybe 4 if Falken expands to another car as they hope)
1 (or maybe 0) Ferrari*
Well there goes the neighborhood. :ill: GTD can't change to FIA GT3 soon enough. We may end up with Pro and Pro-Am GT3 classes. Course that'd be nice. :P

Few things to be realistic about here:

1. Krohn is not at all a full time team in the TUSCC so their intentions hardly affect the series unless that LMP2 move IS them coming to TUSCC full time.
2. Corvette is not going to WEC. Those guys are all about whats happening in the US with only the 24 Hours of Le Mans being the sole overseas outing. Larbre Competition will likely resume being THE European Corvette team that competes in the WEC.

As for Risi supposedly Threatening to leave, where has this been mentioned?

So, he thinks that some action should've been taking against the Porsche because of the pit lane collision? :odd:

I think the fact that the car was that badly damaged was punishment enough. Sure, Patrick should've been paying more attention (hell, where was the damn spotter to tell him a car just stopped?), but what the hell else could IMSA have done?

So, he thinks that some action should've been taking against the Porsche because of the pit lane collision? :odd:

I think the fact that the car was that badly damaged was punishment enough. Sure, Patrick should've been paying more attention (hell, where was the damn spotter to tell him a car just stopped?), but what the hell else could IMSA have done?
Like I said, he's probably mad about many things and he's fuming. Course he did make a threat of pulling "the red Ferrari". :scared:

I think you missed one part of that article:

Racer.com
Out of this contretemps, Sims says a ray of light has emerged. Risi's enthusiasm for the TUDOR Championship was at an all-time low immediately after the race, but with a bit of distance, an early plan for 2015 is beginning to taking shape.
"Mr. Risi wants to return to Le Mans, so we'll need to go racing before then, obviously," Sims confirmed. "It's still developing; we aren't ready to put exact races on the calendar, but I think we'll do the early part of the schedule before Le Mans and get ready. That's what we're talking about right now, at least. After that, who knows, but I need to start booking hotels now and that's a good sign. It's all a bit fluid, I imagine, but we want to continue and that's what matters."

So basically, it was just something said and made in the heat of the moment and its not actually a serious threat. Can't help but question if you actually read the whole article before jumping to the conclusion that they were threatening to leave based on what I've read.

Last edited:
I think you missed one part of that article:

So basically, it was just something said and made in the heat of the moment and its not actually a serious threat. Can't help but question if you actually read the whole article before jumping to the conclusion that they were threatening to leave based on what I've read.
I read the whole thing last night (wait...they edited it...every dang time -_- ), like I said and you can quote me: he was most likely just fuming. Granted last night's article was a little different. Racer keeps doing this to me. :P

I once checked prices to rent a house at Lake Lanier. I can rent lakeside cabins in Kentucky on a holiday weekend for about half. It gets insane down there. I try to plan my trip the moment they announce the schedule. I occasionally slip in a good deal at smaller places before prices jump.

Then I also get free infield parking, so I manage to do the trip fairly reasonable.
My grandpa still goes every year as well. He gets free handicap parking, so I just take free parking outside. I use his car as a home base for when we have to change clothes there. That's the craziest weather in the world. I've been in shorts, long johns, polos, and rain jackets all in the course of 4 hours before at the Rolex 24. I'm sure everyone else here who's been knows exactly how nuts it is lol

This is why you camp! It's alot cheaper and easier...but eh it has it's issues. I wish I was going back to see Rolex this year but things are too tight, 2016 I will be there again. I'm still trying to figure out how to do COTA the PLM, it will be expensive for COTA.

@cnd01 what hotel do you stay at? I don't mind a little bit of a drive as I know the beach isn't right at the rack.
I stayed at some hole in the wall called El Caribe this past year. Usually the Best Western or the Holiday Inn Express isn't too bad on the wallet without having to stay in a less than desirable room. Even then, I'm only in the room to sleep anyway.

My grandpa still goes every year as well. He gets free handicap parking, so I just take free parking outside. I use his car as a home base for when we have to change clothes there. That's the craziest weather in the world. I've been in shorts, long johns, polos, and rain jackets all in the course of 4 hours before at the Rolex 24. I'm sure everyone else here who's been knows exactly how nuts it is lol

I stayed at some hole in the wall called El Caribe this past year. Usually the Best Western or the Holiday Inn Express isn't too bad on the wallet without having to stay in a less than desirable room. Even then, I'm only in the room to sleep anyway.

I have only been to 2 Rolex 24's, 2013 wasn't too bad at all in terms of weather. 2014 was weird, we went on a search to get my dad some long johns and a nice jacket because he was freezing on Friday, I was cold but I had on shorts. The next day was perfect.....

I will keep that in mind, granted we did buy a pop-up this year to travel to races! So it's nice to not really have to leave at all unless I want to.

This is why you camp! It's alot cheaper and easier...
That's not an option for me for health reasons. Maybe an RV, but we don't have that. I have to take the shuttle to the vendor village because I can't handle walking the hill at Road Atlanta.

If anyone with a golf cart is attending next year and willing to give me a lift I'll bring your favorite beer.

Hm. I thought that Bell Isle wouldn't line up with my schedule, but now that I'm looking at the college calender, it doesn't look final exams were when I thought they were (the week after May 30th). Now if only I can talk my parents into buying tickets for race weekend....

That's not an option for me for health reasons. Maybe an RV, but we don't have that. I have to take the shuttle to the vendor village because I can't handle walking the hill at Road Atlanta.

If anyone with a golf cart is attending next year and willing to give me a lift I'll bring your favorite beer.

Fair enough, I haven't planned that far in advance but if I do have a golf cart, I will gladly lend you a ride!

Few things to be realistic about here:

1. Krohn is not at all a full time team in the TUSCC so their intentions hardly affect the series unless that LMP2 move IS them coming to TUSCC full time.
2. Corvette is not going to WEC. Those guys are all about whats happening in the US with only the 24 Hours of Le Mans being the sole overseas outing. Larbre Competition will likely resume being THE European Corvette team that competes in the WEC.

As for Risi supposedly Threatening to leave, where has this been mentioned?

Regarding Krohn, I am thinking if it is a full-time season then they must be confident about the chances of keeping the campaign afloat financially. You don't enter into things you can't sustain. So although they aren't a full-time team the finances has improved.

Regarding Corvette, if they aren't going to the WEC, perhaps they are thinking about the sales? They still see the US as the biggest selling market for the GM brand and that their isn't much call for Corvettes in Europe?

Regarding Krohn, I am thinking if it is a full-time season then they must be confident about the chances of keeping the campaign afloat financially. You don't enter into things you can't sustain. So although they aren't a full-time team the finances has improved.

Regarding Corvette, if they aren't going to the WEC, perhaps they are thinking about the sales? They still see the US as the biggest selling market for the GM brand and that their isn't much call for Corvettes in Europe?
Krohn can afford to run 5 LMP2s in both TUSCC and WEC if he wanted to. It'll be whatever Tracy wants to do

It's not like Viper sold vast quantities of street cars winning a championship in the states. Racing to sell cars doesn't work in the US. If GM wants to sell Corvettes, go WEC

The Viper isn't selling because a base Viper is 20,000 more than a base Corvette, and 10,000 more than a fully loaded standard Corvette. And 10,000 more than a base Jaguar F-Type Coupe.....and about the same price as a Jaguar F-Type V6 Supercharged Coupe I believe? I love the Viper, but they NEED to price it better. If your competing with the Vette', don't price a fully loaded Viper almost as much as a Corvette Z06 which is a supercar capable of Nismo GT-R performance.

That being said, GM uses the Corvette as a way to sell Corvettes AND other Chevrolet's. Chrysler should have thought the same, think of the Viper as a way to sell more Dodge's. Course it doesn't help that Fiat/Chrysler seems to have no idea what they are doing (sometimes).

Last edited:
The Viper isn't selling because a base Viper is 20,000 more than a base Corvette, and 10,000 more than a fully loaded standard Corvette. And 10,000 more than a base Jaguar F-Type Coupe.....and about the same price as a Jaguar F-Type V6 Supercharged Coupe I believe? I love the Viper, but they NEED to price it better. If your competing with the Vette', don't price a fully loaded Viper almost as much as a Corvette Z06 which is a supercar capable of Nismo GT-R performance.
Exactly

The Viper wasn't selling because a base Viper is 20,000 more than a base Corvette, and 10,000 more than a fully loaded standard Corvette. And 10,000 more than a base Jaguar F-Type Coupe.....and about the same price as a Jaguar F-Type V6 Supercharged Coupe I believe? I love the Viper, but they NEED to price it better. If your competing with the Vette', don't price a fully loaded Viper almost as much as a Corvette Z06 which is a supercar capable of Nismo GT-R performance.

FTFY.

Back