2016 Australian General Discussion

• Thread starter joshmuggo
  • 364 comments
For a competition that uses the catch phrase 'from gamer to racer' I'm surprised they would allow a professional stunt driver with prior knowledge of the gymkhana course compete, and then tell the media that he hadn't actually played the game.

Sort of feel a bit sad for whoever was sitting in 7th place..

Refer to my post above

Refer to my post above

Yeah I saw it after I posted, I still think he had an advantage. Starting with no entry fee to Movieworld, and it sounds like he qualified on Friday, after running laps on Wednesday and possibly Thursday? For the gymkhana, while he might not have known the exact course layout, the location is a relatively small area - effectively a small stadium that he regularly practices in?

Anyway, no skin off mine, but from the 'gaming to real life' marketing perspective, I don't think it's putting their best foot forward. But from a driving skills perspective, he might be our best chance of success at Silverstone....

Yeah I saw it after I posted, I still think he had an advantage. Starting with no entry fee to Movieworld, and it sounds like he qualified on Friday, after running laps on Wednesday and possibly Thursday? For the gymkhana, while he might not have known the exact course layout, the location is a relatively small area - effectively a small stadium that he regularly practices in?

Anyway, no skin off mine, but from the 'gaming to real life' marketing perspective, I don't think it's putting their best foot forward. But from a driving skills perspective, he might be our best chance of success at Silverstone....
I agree with @joshmuggo, but there wasn't any fast drivers friday as i set fastest lap by 1.3 seconds.
But i was underage so my lap didn't count

For a competition that uses the catch phrase 'from gamer to racer' I'm surprised they would allow a professional stunt driver with prior knowledge of the gymkhana course compete, and then tell the media that he hadn't actually played the game.

Sort of feel a bit sad for whoever was sitting in 7th place..

Meh, I feel sad for Josh after what happened in 2014!

The top 6 deserved their spot. It was quite a mixed bag this year at the nationals. But Im confident the 6 guys who made it will work well together as a team.

Lets hope we see an Aussie winner at the end of the international race camp!
Tough part now is who to barrack for, as I dont know who I want to win! lol

Of course he had some advantages, but what about everyone who's been practicing / training for months prior... you could claim thats an advantage too. At the end of the day he won his spot fair and square. All 20 of us had the same opportunities. Aside from the organisation of the gaming, in my opinion the competition was run much better this year.

My media questions were very general, how long have you been sim racing etc. Which was abit of an awkward question given i bought a steering wheel just for gt academy online final. Uhhhh do you think you have what it takes to become a racing driver, the only out of the ordinary question for me was what would you say if someone came up to you in the park and said this is all abit of a joke they dont let you drive real cars right? Its a gimmick. That threw me for a moment.

Well it can be found on multiple new sites and social media ;)
I think that's what @Famine is getting at.

Is it because of the US TV show like usual Famine?

Although multiple competitors have commented or confirmed any news that has been reported on. Interesting

I'm fairly sure that this information isn't supposed to be in the public domain.
It appears to have well and truly infiltrated the innernetz, should I remove it? It is public knowledge though isn't it? I'm confused now :confused:

It appears to have well and truly infiltrated the innernetz, should I remove it? It is public knowledge though isn't it? I'm confused now :confused:
I wouldn't worry. You aren't the one who released the info or dug it up from somewhere obscure. If it is on somewhere like speedcafe, the horse has already bolted.

I wouldn't worry. You aren't the one who released the info or dug it up from somewhere obscure. If it is on somewhere like speedcafe, the horse has already bolted.
I'll be posting it on GTP today for similar reasons. We'll see very quickly then if it's supposed to be secret!

I'll be posting it on GTP today for similar reasons. We'll see very quickly then if it's supposed to be secret!
Don't forget a cheeky GHH plug :sly:

It's on nissan.com.au website so definitely no secret! All countries 3 remaining drivers are listed.

Last edited:
It's on nissan.com.au website so definitely no secret! All countries 3 remaining drivers are listed.
yes the info was not ment to be released by the competitors until it has been released by GT Academy them selves all though a few of us know who the final Aussie to join Matt is before it is even released

yes the info was not ment to be released by the competitors until it has been released by GT Academy them selves all though a few of us know who the final Aussie to join Matt is before it is even released
Well they announced it live on Periscope from GT Academy themselves so it's not a secret

Sounds like they learnt nothing from last time in terms of the qualifying system for the final race, another stupid team race which was won by a good strategy call by Rick. What is so hard about doing a real qualifying session like they used to do?

Rick Kelly: "“We put Matthew in with more than three quarters of the race to go and he handled it really well and managed his times consistently...”

That's not dissimilar to my strategy in the CORE 24hr but that involved him driving around 11hrs (broken stints of course) all up, the man is a machine and seeing Rick say that is absolutely no surprise to me at all.

Tonights final will be crazy!

guyes do you have an exact link to the stream for the final today . in FB i found this one http://live.nismo.tv/
but there is no video or stream prepared for this year final only streams that are already done. do anyone knows a better info ?
I think at day 5 they made the qualifyng wit lot of fast lasps on the circuit to determine who is on pole. I think and I hope that the qualification is not like last year. it must be a real racing on the track to catch the pole, not on the buggy car :) or monster track .

The race will be 20min, and there is a lot of chance for all the competitors to change the position. 20 min is enought time to manage the tires and own emotions :) , thie race is longer than the races from ther last years and its more time to overtake. so it would be very interresting! :cheers:

Back