2016 Australian General Discussion

• Thread starter joshmuggo
  • 364 comments
Congratulations to the 2 that made it in Today. I know 2nd position was taken by Psn gibbonman and the first guy i didn't know about but if your on here let yourself known

Congratulations to the 2 that made it in Today. I know 2nd position was taken by Psn gibbonman and the first guy i didn't know about but if your on here let yourself known

What car/track combo are they running, and what times did the top guys run?

Congratulations to all the live event finalists so far! I'm excited to say I managed to make the trip over from Perth and to qualify myself!!

I'll be posting updates via twitter throughout the national finals (@rebeliot) so feel free to follow along!

Cheers and good luck to all,

Elliott

Last edited:
What an awesome weekend, still feels like a dream. Such an eye opener, feel like i came close this year but now know exactly what i need to improve on for next year to make the cut. Congratulations to the guys heading to silverstone, was a pleasure to meet you all and i wish you the best of luck, and to those of us that didn't. Hope to see some familiar faces next year!

Is it true that one of the 6 winners was a Movieworld employee that had never played the game?

Indeed mate. He pipped me on Friday by 0.040. He did say that he and his mate had bought it during the week and started playing it then, presuming when they heard about what was going to be happening from Wednesday onwards. They're both stunt drivers/riders at movie world.

Nice effort from the new dude then. Sounds like there were no dropped competitors from a first set of gaming rounds like last year? (The article mentions he was 10 seconds off the pace at suzuka). He must have aced most of the other parts though (media and physical), and given complete knowledge of the autocross track, probably won that round.

Wd to all the Rooz boys too. Make us proud at silverstone :)

(The article mentions he was 10 seconds off the pace at suzuka)
I'm pretty sure that was referring to the journalist. It isn't all that clear, but in the context of the surrounding paragraphs and the fact that there are no quotes from Corey til later in the article, it sounds like the journo himself was 10 off the pace.

News article
The contestants were then put through four sets of challenges. The first was a physical challenge to see whether contestants were fit enough to face the harsh conditions race drivers have to face.

The second was where they all felt most at home, setting laps on the PlayStation in a Nissan GT-R at the famous Suzuka track. The top drivers in this challenge were getting lap times of around 1.55s, while the best I could muster was a 2.05s. These guys were good.

Next they had to survive a grilling from myself and other journalists to give an indication of whether they would be a suitable brand ambassador for Nissan Motorsport. And finally, they had to set a time around a gymkhana track in a real Nissan 370z with V8 Supercar driver Todd Kelly as their instructor.

I'm pretty sure that was referring to the journalist. It isn't all that clear, but in the context of the surrounding paragraphs and the fact that there are no quotes from Corey til later in the article, it sounds like the journo himself was 10 off the pace.
yes Corey was 10 seconds off the pace along and didn't do too well in the fitness aswell. But demolished everyone in the real car driving, which is very interesting seeing how the rest of the stunt crew where saying they were driving the course early in the week....
One would only assume he also drove the cars as well

I remember seeing Corey around the 2:00min flat mark at Suzuka, no doubt his skill behind the wheel really impressed Todd, meanwhile at the end of my last run Todd remarked "well at least we're alive" I was pretty woeful :/ hopefully there is next year!

I wrecked corey at Friday live event if we had some good drivers there that day im sure he wouldn't made it, i gap him by 1.3 seconds where i didn't know you could cut the track

Ok let me straighten some things out.

Yes, Corey and Jack are employees of the hollywood stunt driver show.
Yes, before this week they had never played GT6, but had played other driving games.
No, they had not seen the course at all, let alone driven the cars. Once Gary (boss of stuntdriver show) and Luffy found out they were competing, they made sure that they never saw the track, never sat in one of the cars, or had any inside information about the contest.

Corey was middle of the road for the gaming, probably 12th or 13th.
He was middle of the road for the fitness also, about 10th.
He was 1st in the Motorkhana, and he received top marks for the media challenge.

So that should stop all the conspiracy theories flying around here and everywhere. If anything he was at a disadvantage overall having not prepared physically for the fitness, or for the gaming.

and Nathan that is right, 2 contestants struggled with the manual cars (1 never driven manual), the other should have done better considering he knew what to prepare for from last year.

yes Corey was 10 seconds off the pace along and didn't do too well in the fitness aswell. But demolished everyone in the real car driving, which is very interesting seeing how the rest of the stunt crew where saying they were driving the course early in the week....
One would only assume he also drove the cars as well

For a competition that uses the catch phrase 'from gamer to racer' I'm surprised they would allow a professional stunt driver with prior knowledge of the gymkhana course compete, and then tell the media that he hadn't actually played the game.

Sort of feel a bit sad for whoever was sitting in 7th place..

I think Josh just cleared it up in his post there though, that they hadn't seen the course for the competition. It's clear they have car/bike control if they were employed to ride their bikes or drift their cars at Movie World in the first place.

It is what it is now and the journey to 2016 has already begun for the rest of us.

Back