2016 Nissan Maxima

• Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 306 comments
I never said it should be gold chrome. I said the chrome should be gold to match the wheels. Come on, man.

According to someone on the Maxima forums, as of the 17th Nissan has issued a stop sale to dealerships and they are not allowed to even issue test drives until more information is provided, hopefully by the 27th. I personally haven't heard the reason why, so this is quite interesting.

I saw a new Maxima on the road earlier today. It was rather pleasing to see one in all of its sharp lines and bold artistic cues. It looks great to me. Not gorgeous, but certainly lovely.

Stop sale/recall info:

Nissan notified NHTSA that it will be conducting a Voluntary Safety Recall Campaign on approximately 5,458 MY2016 Nissan Maxima (A36) vehicles manufactured at the Smyrna, TN plant between March 19, 2015 (SOP) and June 2, 2015 to address a potential fuel tank assembly issue.

On some of the affected vehicles, the fuel sending unit may not have been affixed to the fuel tank correctly and could potentially leak. The issue was identified during a recent crash test. There have been no customer reports of leaks, accidents, or injuries associated with this issue.

2,803 of these vehicles are in dealer inventory.

The guy that had the orange lip wheels had them refinished. Much better now.

F5038836-0B1F-4762-9962-DBED7CD498D5_zpsaop0dg0q.jpg

B35D9E52-E25A-488C-9601-6E8608114F0C_zpssvsgoqzo.jpg

I saw another new Maxima earlier today. This is still a sharp and stylish car to me. Even someone not really into Nissan can still find something to love about the new Maxima. Among Japanese cars, I'd say this car is up there with the latest Mazda Mazda6 as far as stylish economy coupes or sedans are concerned. Fabulous car this new Maxima is.

From that side shot, the front overhang looks fairly tight. Surprising for a front-wheel drive car of this size.

Although the car scored 5 stars in it's crash test, you can see at 7:28 in this video the reason for the stop sale and recall.

Well, the one I saw earlier today was kind of a silver Maxima. It does look better with darker colors.

Adding these since they are somewhat relevant.

Refreshed 3.5L V6 in the Maxima makes Ward's 10 Best Engine list for 2016. This is the 17th time Nissan has made the list, and the 15th time for the VQ series engines, making it the most awarded engine in the award's history.

http://nissannews.com/en-US/nissan/...-named-to-wards-10-best-engines-list-for-2016

Elsewhere, the 2016 Maxima has earned the IIHS's Top Safety Pick + rating.

http://nissannews.com/en-US/nissan/...ety-designation-to-key-nissan-models-for-2016

I had a go in a '16 Maxima last week in Miami. Once in a blue moon, I score rental car gold. Or silver?

Steering was a tiny bit vague, but more communicative when pushed (admittedly, I didn't push it that much in corners). Never seemed out of place in city and expressway driving. No torque steer that I noticed. No delay in acceleration. Yes, it has a CVT, but its personality flaws are much better hidden with the powerplant. Brakes modulate far nicer than the Altima (which had improved with the 2013 model). Ride and damping seemed firm enough over uneven bits, never seemed jittery.

Car seems lower and wider than before, but no lack of headroom even with the seat perched all the way up. Interior trim carries some of the diamond shapes. Has the appearance of being a bit snug on the inside, but I fit nicely behind the controls. Slight left tilt of the nav screen and center-console buttons reminded me a bit of the old DSM coupes, with a priority towards the driver. Navigation was easy enough to use, after years of using Apple/Android Google Maps for directions. Flat-bottomed steering wheel pushed my Prix Tender Button in the right way, along with the responsive +/- shifter section (which I didn't use much in traffic).

Over-sized bulging logo is unnecessary, but that's the trend. Then again, I didn't quite realize it until the last day I had the car. As is the lack of a fuel filler release; no door-mounted button to be found, as in many Nissan products. Odd issue was the lower valet light on the driver's door: it popped out while I was exiting the car once, making it impossible to close the door. I pressed it back into place and that solved the issue. Rentals do take a beating, but this example had only 400 miles on it...caused by a bad clip or by an impertinent kick?

I think I averaged 26 mpg, but in some terrible Miami traffic. (I forgot to use the I-395 ramps onto the Express Toll Lanes in rush-hour traffic...there's no way to legally enter it from any other exit. That meant averaging 7-8 mph for a 25 minute span.) Lots of other idle time in the downtown and using it as a "air-conditioned parking lot office" didn't help.

While I'm at it, the only annoyance was one control in the HVAC department; my preference is to control the fresh/recirculate button myself. The default setting every time you turn on the A/C is to fresh air, but in most hot, humid climates, you usually desire recirculate within the first few seconds of firing up the air conditioning. GM is normally the only one which insists on the "fresh-air default" setting for all vehicles in all weather - this is fine when it's cool or cold - but not at all desired in humid conditions.

Overall, I kind of want one now. But three hundred horsepower and my right foot is just asking for trouble.

Last edited:
I almost want to imagine this Nissan Maxima as a racing machine. For a moment, I imagine a racing variant of this car being like the Mazda Mazda6 Diesel Race Car, but I'm pretty sure it won't be some diesel racing car like the aforementioned Mazda6 that raced in the USCR. This thing would look wicked as a GT race car. I am honestly not really a Nissan person. However, I do think the latest Maxima looks amazing. Still do.

Saw one in the wild yesterday... Looked... Bulgy? Puffy?

Way too much happening on/behind the rear passenger door.

Back