2016 Nissan Maxima

• Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 306 comments
Saw a blue Maxima SR being test driven by the Nissan dealership today. Its very striking, looked like something out of a sci-fi film compared to the drab, beige Corollas and Civics around it. However I fear its a design language that won't age particularly well.

I saw the new Maxima in red with Tennessee manufacturer plates a couple of months ago on the freeway. I think it looked pretty good in person.

2016-nissan-maxima-first-drive-review-car-and-driver-photo-658398-s-original.jpg

First Drive Reviews are in:

Autoblog: Seems a bit more negative for the Maxima on the whole. Lots of complaints about how soft and vague the car is compared to previous versions

Car and Driver: Mostly positive review, happy that it's "Not a Toyota."

Motor Trend: A bit more positive than C/D, sees it more as a slightly sporty, full-size luxury car.

Really surprised by how much I don't like the wheels on the top-trim Platinum model. The SR really seems to look like how I'd expect a Maxima to. Odd that we don't have anything on the lower level models. I'd be curious to see how different a S or SV model would look compared to a SR.

Really surprised by how much I don't like the wheels on the top-trim Platinum model. The SR really seems to look like how I'd expect a Maxima to. Odd that we don't have anything on the lower level models. I'd be curious to see how different a S or SV model would look compared to a SR.
If you are talking about the red car in the Motor Trend gallery, those are optional wheels.

Here's a list of the accessories.

The wheels are not on there though, you can also get the SR specific 19" wheels in all black. You can see them in some of the accessory photos.

^^ Hey that's your opinion and all, but I quite like it. Compared to it's boring competition (Avalon, Impala) it's unique and quite a futuristic leap for the car. And it looks so much better in person.

For someone not really into Nissan, I must say that Nissan stepped up its style game. The latest Maxima is a prime example. It's the only recent Nissan I like style-wise besides the 2015 Murano. And yes, I'm with Omnis on keeping that chrome "U" up front. This car is far from gorgeous, but I do think it is styled admirably.

Interior looks good im Impressed however centre console will get dated very quickly im afraid, exterior looks like it might take a few years to understand it but it's not exactly ugly, certainly more Mazda 6 then Toyota Camry.

Front 3/4 view, looking at the rear hips, it would be awesome if it was rwd. It looks tough. The design language also translates well with the Qashai.

Nobody would pay over $50k for a Maxima, even now $40k is hard to stomach.

Thats because it really has nothing to justify its price.

But it wouldn't really be 50K. A 300Hp AWD standard Power Maxima wouldnt 50K thats more like 29-33K, a 550hp AWD Nismo Maxima could be 60K-80k. At Least the Performance would justify the Price of the vehicle.

only one pronblem with that.. The Q50 isnt Comparable to the Compact RWD cars you mentioned, Its a Mid Size RWD Sedan ala Lexus GS, A6, 5Series
Those are not compacts, those are Compact Executive which is the smaller end of Midsize. where as the Midsize executive cars are on the large side of Midsize cars.

Kind of hard to explain but it makes sense when you know the A3, 1 series etc are definitely Compact sized.

Think of a 3 series as like a Altima and a 5 series as a Maxima and you get the idea.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D-segment

A 300Hp AWD standard Power Maxima wouldnt 50K thats more like 29-33K, a 550hp AWD Nismo Maxima could be 60K-80k. At Least the Performance would justify the Price of the vehicle.
The Maxima currently sells for $32-40k. I bet AWD would add around $2k to that price. And a GT-R powered one just wouldn't sell enough to make up for what it would cost to produce it.
only one pronblem with that.. The Q50 isnt Comparable to the Compact RWD cars you mentioned, Its a Mid Size RWD Sedan ala Lexus GS, A6, 5Series
Those are not compacts, those are Compact Executive which is the smaller end of Midsize. where as the Midsize executive cars are on the large side of Midsize cars.

Kind of hard to explain but it makes sense when you know the A3, 1 series etc are definitely Compact sized.

Think of a 3 series as like a Altima and a 5 series as a Maxima and you get the idea.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D-segment
Q50 competes with IS 350, BMW 335i, Mercedes-Benz C400, etc.

The Maxima currently sells for $32-40k. I bet AWD would add around $2k to that price. And a GT-R powered one just wouldn't sell enough to make up for what it would cost to produce it.

Q50 competes with IS 350, BMW 335i, Mercedes-Benz C400, etc.

See this is why Infinity should revert back to they old naming scheme. I was thinking the Q50 was what was formerly known as the "M"

Saw a base model, white 2016 Maxima last night. The base model looked a bit ugly. Are the more expensive packages more stylish?

See this is why Infinity should revert back to they old naming scheme. I was thinking the Q50 was what was formerly known as the "M"
That would be the Q70. Q50 is basically the new version of the G37 Sedan, and the Q60 will be the coupe when it goes on sale in a year or two.
Saw a base model, white 2016 Maxima last night. The base model looked a bit ugly. Are the more expensive packages more stylish?
They all pretty much look the same unless you get the optional rear spoiler, optional 18" wheels, or the optional 19" wheels that come standard on the SR model. Though the optional 19's are all black like so:

80-img_2477_fdf114f58fd6f528cc6e6072945679a48d94c1c8.jpg

Back