2019 Touring Car discussion - WTCC, BTCC etcTouring Cars 

• Thread starter 05XR8
  • 664 comments
Why would one of the Alfas be running a Mazda sponsorship? :confused:
It has to do with the driver. He has a relationship with that dealership. Doesn't make sense to me, but if they're giving money, I guess Alfa must not have a problem with it.

Haven't seen any of the practice sessions or qualifying. But just looking at the results, what happened to the Peugeot? Read it was having electrical problems yesterday. Have they retired it for the weekend?

Haven't seen any of the practice sessions or qualifying. But just looking at the results, what happened to the Peugeot? Read it was having electrical problems yesterday. Have they retired it for the weekend?
Parts are being flown in to have it ready for Sunday.

It has to do with the driver. He has a relationship with that dealership. Doesn't make sense to me, but if they're giving money, I guess Alfa must not have a problem with it.
Was hoping it was a sign.... ;)

Also, rumors of a Veloster N joining the field next year?

Was hoping it was a sign.... ;)

Also, rumors of a Veloster N joining the field next year?
Yeah. I caught about the Veloster. Plenty on the road here too.

About the Mazdas, I wouldn't be surprised if MARC Cars got a call. We'll see. Daytona needs to hurry up.

Shame for Chelsea to get shunted. Was finally getting to see what she could do.

Shame for Chelsea to get shunted. Was finally getting to see what she could do.

Missed the start but caught the replay of that, during the safety car period. Big hit on the passengers door. :crazy: Heimgartner continues to have no luck in this series.

Missed the start but caught the replay of that, during the safety car period. Big hit on the passengers door. :crazy: Heimgartner continues to have no luck in this series.
Truly bizarre for the whole crew. Can't even win for losing.

That was a good first season of racing. Good to see multiple winners through the year. Hope the racing gets better and more reliability for 2020. ARG have the events sorted.

That was a good first season of racing. Good to see multiple winners through the year. Hope the racing gets better and more reliability for 2020. ARG have the events sorted.

Multiple winners and I heard Greg Rust mention during the first race that O'Keefe was the only driver to claim multiple pole positions? Shows how even the series has been. Hopefully we get more of that next year.

“The new car is driving,” Smeets said. “It has done the first test and now the idea is to do reliability tests to see that everything we have done is really working. We are doing this together with Cupra in order to share track costs etcetera. It [collaborating with sister make Cupra] has a lot of synergy. We hope that the car will be finalised in March so we can homologate it.”

https://autoaction.com.au/2019/11/17/new-tcr-marques-gaining-interest-for-australia
The Mazda3 TCR is still being developed in America by Long Road Racing and Mazda Design America for a planned debut in next year’s Daytona 24 Hour race. Auto Action understands there has been strong interest by Australian teams to run the Mazda locally, but difficulties in ordering due to high demand in the US has set those plans back.

Braid admitted to Auto Action that the Mazda had proven popular already with prospective Australian teams

“Mazda, there’s a lot of interest in,” Braid said.

“It’s one of the most prominent brands in this country, therefore the racing product associated is going to be popular and there are multiple parties that we know that have expressed, who have expressed interest in getting the Mazdas out here.”

MG recently undertook a race program through James Brock in production cars when it relaunched back in Australia in 2018 and Braid is confident that the marque will feature on the grid next season.

“Certainly, we haven’t had direct conversations, but I know that the MG brand in Australia has been keen to do motor sport, but hasn’t had the right assets or property to do it,” Braid explained.

“But the TCR car being homologated certainly allows those discussions to take place and we’re looking forward to that.

“I’m pretty sure we’ll see both of those brands next year.”

Most likely. That's SEAT, Hyundai and Audi(Audi won't be making a new TCR either) in ETCR as well. SEAT look to still be making a new TCR though.

While this will be good financially for the series I feel it won't be as good for us the viewer. Camera work will probably improve, but it's the adverts and being a step closer to time certain races that I hate about being linked to the more commercial TV stations.

Edit: It was as great event out at The Bend, and because of the low attendance numbers it was even better for me (wheelchairs suck in crowded areas).

We were allowed up to the roof too :D

20191117_143647.jpg

Last edited:
While this will be good financially for the series I feel it won't be as good for us the viewer. Camera work will probably improve, but it's the adverts and being a step closer to time certain races that I hate about being linked to the more commercial TV stations.
One thing I'm unsure of is online streaming for the global audience. Am I no long going to be able to watch the races?

Wait do you use a wheelchair?
Yep, check out the quote below. I used to get around okayish with a prosthetic leg but a few knee replacements later on my good leg (I use that term very loosely) and I'm pretty much a full timer now. But still, it could be a lot worse :)

View attachment 867696

I meant to get around to posting the mods I've had done to this a while ago. I only had the dual throttles back then. Better late than never I suppose :).

A (slightly) better picture of the dual throttles. Also shows the switch to change between them, the box to control my loader, and my carpet that needs vacuuming :embarrassed:.
View attachment 867697

The loader fully extended,
View attachment 867698

and with my wheelchair ready for loading.
View attachment 867699

Going up,
View attachment 867700

and in.
View attachment 867701

I love this this car (and loader) :D

Yep, check out the quote below. I used to get around okayish with a prosthetic leg but a few knee replacements later on my good leg (I use that term very loosely) and I'm pretty much a full timer now. But still, it could be a lot worse :)
That's an interesting modification. I also use a wheelchair but it's electric and weighs about 190KG... That's not even with me in it:lol: I have a chronic muscle condition which severely limits my movement. It also effects my lungs and my heart, which isn't ideal. But I'm doing well so don't worry!

That's an interesting modification. I also use a wheelchair but it's electric and weighs about 190KG... That's not even with me in it:lol: I have a chronic muscle condition which severely limits my movement. It also effects my lungs and my heart, which isn't ideal. But I'm doing well so don't worry!
👍:)

Back