2019 Touring Car discussion - WTCC, BTCC etcTouring Cars 

• Thread starter 05XR8
  • 664 comments
The first thing started with the position of the engine as they had it mounted lower (which wasn’t illegal) but TOCA forced them to move it in line with the other cars and it hurt the performance a lot.

Even with the extra ride height and weight under the windscreen scuttle, the car still ran well in '17 and '18, and when you compare the results to other cars it was no better or worse. This year they seem to have had a boost cut and that's what has hurt them. Its frustrating to see the season results and to know the Subaru has been outlawed, the BMW slowed mid season with average results after and the Hondas running with more boost than ever.

FK2 Civic Podiums:43 Wins:15

BMW 125 P:26 W:9

FK2 Civic Podiums:18 Wins:7
BMW 125 P:20 W:7
VW CC P:24 W:10

FK2 Civic Podiums:17 Wins:7
BMW 125 P:17 W:4
Subaru P:20 W:6
Focus P:14 W:7

FK2 Civic Podiums:23 Wins:6
BMW 125 P:24 W:8
Subaru P:20 W:8
Avensis P:11 W:5

FK8 Civic Podiums:13 Wins:4
FK2 Civic P:11 W:5
BMW 125 P:18 W:3
Subaru P:9 W:6
Astra/Avensis P:9 W:3
Mercedes P:9 W:4

FK8 Civic Podiums:29 Wins:5
FK2 Civic P:10 W:4
BMW 330 P:21 W:11
Subaru P:6 W:1
Astra P:5 W:1
Corolla P:4 W:4

Mazda3 TCR. Ford doesn't own any stake in Mazda anymore but it would be an opportunity to stay in without having conflicting brands.
Probably the only team I could see running them. Would make a case for Rick to jump in one.

Edit: Just a bit extra info https://www.carsales.com.au/editori...geot-and-cupra-join-carsales-tcr-chase-121229
TCR organiser, the Australian Racing Group (ARG) is now targeting a field of close to 30 cars for its showcase arrival at the Australian F1 Grand Prix in Melbourne in March 2020, tapping a number of Asian series and a new Kia team from the upcoming New Zealand TCR championship.

GRM's new Renault Megane RS TCR.

73513492_985730191760344_714866975360155648_n.jpg

They should REALLY consider running those wheels... :drool:

Double :drool::drool:

Hey, if Mazda can run Rays wheels, GRM should be allowed these. :) They will have to change those tires though.

Edit: It gets better and better
https://www.tcraustralia.com/tcr-as...ghts-blockbuster-2020-tcr-australia-calendar/

2020 TCR Australian Series calendar

TCR Asia Pacific Cup: Australian Grand Prix, Albert Park, 12-15 March
Round 1: Sydney Motorsport Park, 27-29 March
Round 2: Bathurst 6 Hour, 10-12 April
Round 3: Winton, 1-3 May
Round 4: The Bend Motorsport Park, 12-14 June
Round 5: TBC, 3-5 July
Round 6: Phillip Island, 21-23 August*
Round 7: Sandown, 11-13 September
New Bathurst event: Mount Panorama, Bathurst, Date TBC

*Subject to finalisation of commercial agreements with circuit

Last edited:
A number of tweaks for the 2020 BTCC regulations have been announced earlier today:
  • Hard, medium and soft compounds to be used at Snetterton and Croft.
  • Teams and drivers now free to use which compounds they run over race meetings.
  • Maximum success ballast increased to 60kg; drivers from 1st to 10th will carry ballast in 6kg increments.
  • Addition of a 10 minute 'pole' session at Snetterton, paired with a shortened 25 minute qualifying session.

A couple of exciting driver/team developments for BTCC 2020:

Jack Goff secures a full-time return to Team HARD...

...while 2019 debutants EXCELR8 confirm plans to build two new Hyundais for the coming season. Considering the success of the i30 hatchback in TCR form, I'm looking forward to seeing how well the Fastback model works on the brand's championship debut.

That's cool they're running a different body Hyundai. Means all three variants are running in a touring car class around the world.

I also read there is a young lady joining BTCC?

21 cars this weekend. Hope this brings bigger numbers next year.
https://www.tcraustralia.com/peugeo...-record-tcr-australia-field-set-for-the-bend/

That's cool they're running a different body Hyundai. Means all three variants are running in a touring car class around the world.

I also read there is a young lady joining BTCC?

21 cars this weekend. Hope this brings bigger numbers next year.
https://www.tcraustralia.com/peugeo...-record-tcr-australia-field-set-for-the-bend/

No, or at least not necessarily - Jade Edwards spent a day testing with Motorbase and has made no secret of having BTCC as a target, however she will need to find a fair chunk more sponsor cash than previous years to make it happen. I hope she does, she's a decent driver who's had some rotten luck over the last couple of years.

The grid sizes in, what is, the inaugural season are great. How many TCR cars do we have in the country now?

Tickets are cheap too ($20 for adults), might have to head down to The Bend on Sunday!
As R1600turbo posted above, GRM have a new Megane.
Two more Alfas to come, for GRM(more like leasing out to prospects).

I think more Audis are in the works.

Wall Racing have the two extra Civics.

I believe the 308 is staying in the country(Kelly Racing need to scoop up two of those- unless, they're the team getting the Mazda deal).

The Cupra entry may see another join the field next year.

Maybe two Mazdas, at some point, next year.

Would be cool if the Kia C'eed does a full season here. After it completes the TCRNZ, of course.

Maybe two Mazdas, at some point, next year.
I wonder if this means anything for Ashley Seward running Mazdas. Or it's just coincidental.

EDIT: Looks like it's just a James Allen thing rather than an Ashley Seward thing.

I wonder if this means anything for Ashley Seward running Mazdas. Or it's just coincidental.

EDIT: Looks like it's just a James Allen thing rather than an Ashley Seward thing.

Still, there's been no clue(yet) of who are doing the Mazda deal. Maybe it winds up being them(ASM w/Allen) like the deal ASM have with GRM.

It's the car I'm most looking forward to when Daytona begins.
Mazda Australia will be looking at an established team. I can't see any VASC team other than the current ones in TCRA.

I can't even pick a team that have a current history with Mazda.

Back