2019 Touring Car discussion - WTCC, BTCC etcTouring Cars 

• Thread starter 05XR8
  • 664 comments
Kia's jumping into the TCR Australia/NZ pool.

72105164_391979668162042_2084284548564123648_o.jpg

Choice bro! :P

The Pukekohe-based Choice Performance Ltd has been signed as the official agent for STARD (Stohl Advanced Research and Development), which manufacturers the TCR Kia.

I was waiting for this. What a championship this is. Hope these cars can make it for the AGP.

The possible Bathurst 500 2020 is going to be madness. First, gotta enjoy this:

Last edited:
Such shame about the numbers, I wonder what happened since they were expecting 47 cars. I personally think its just at the wrong time if the season for an expensive endurance race. Maybe more teams were expecting a Spa 24 hours but for TCR rather than a Dubai 24 hours for TCR event, if that makes sense. The Spa 24 hours is for professional teams and fans with high budget coverage, the Creventic series are not really for us and much more for the Amateurs with 4-5 cameras for the whole track. Or maybe it is just down to having too many places to race TCR. With the exception of WTCR and TCR Europe most series have ok to poor grids, most being in the latter. If you add up all the current series, proposed but cancelled because of lack of entries and just recently cancelled, there would be 33ish places you could race a TCR (not to mention time attack and club level racing). So I can kind of understand oversaturation of events being a reason for the small grid, I just don't know why the extra 30 cars didn't show. It kind of reminds me of TCR UK. They said they'd have to turn away entries or have pre-qualifying and 12-13 cars showed up, dropping through out the year (2018) and this year they have 4 TCR and 2 BTCC spec cars.

No doubt. VAG cars an Opel and a Peugeot. Hopefully, more brands will come out.

It was mainly due to time of year. Since the next event is in May, it was said this puts it more in line with the TCR season.

Wonder how the TCR ASIA&Japan and Australia calendars will shape up.

Goodyear to replace Dunlop next year in BTCC.

https://www.touringcartimes.com/2019/10/12/goodyear-take-btcc-tyre-supplier/

I wonder if it will be just a change of tyre decal or actually different tyres like they did in WEC.
Bit surprised considering how well the Dunlop partnership went - it'll be interesting to see which direction the 2020 treads will take.

Anyway, on the eve of this year's BTCC title decider, Colin Turkington puts himself in the best place possible with pole for tomorrow's first race, securing another point to add to his championship lead. Andrew Jordan, in his final weekend with sponsor Pirtek, starts third despite going off in the closing stages of the session, while Dan Cammish starts down in 12th at the helm of his Halfords Yuasa Honda.

Last edited:
Changing conditions, a strong drive and a brave pass around the outside of Rory Butcher see Dan Cammish take the first spoils of the BTCC finale. Matt Neal and Tom Chilton (Shredded Wheat/Motorbase Ford) follow home in second and third, taking advantage of a switch to wets during a safety car period. Pole-sitter Turkington hangs on to a seven-point lead with fifth place, while Jordan has more work to do after dropping down to eighth. The championship battle just got hotter...

Ash Sutton wins a turbulent BTCC Race 2 from Jordan and Cammish, while Turkington finishes 25th after being punted into a spin by Matt Neal on the opening lap. Cammish inherits the championship lead following Turkington's misfortune; the gap between them and Jordan stands at 13 points going into the final round. Eleventh-placed finisher Senna Proctor takes reverse-grid pole.

UPDATE: Neal handed a five-place grid penalty for Race 3.

Last edited:
That was one of the best BTCC races I've seen.

Literally shaking, and crying a teeny bit.

edit: Cammish is a great driver, I don't doubt he'll get a title, I'm ecstatic for Turk but it's fair to say Cammish would have earned it had he got there. Too excited to remember if we saw Cammish's incident from the outside, but did he get a tap, or was it a failure?

Last edited:
A great day of racing at Brands Hatch all round, but the finale of the BTCC season was something else.

I didn't see any contact on Cammish - they reckon it was a mechanical failure with the brakes which had been glowing red throughout the race prior to that.

I'm glad for Turkington because he was done in the previous race, but it is very hard luck for Cammish!

After thirty races and a very, very tense final round, it is official...

Colin Turkington is a four-time British Touring Car Champion!

Congratulations to him and everyone at Team BMW/West Surrey Racing for a brilliant run this season, and to Andrew Jordan for securing second overall with his drive to fourth place. Feel absolutely gutted for Cammish - even with his teammate's questionable moves, it had been a fantastic weekend up until that brake failure on the penultimate lap. Still, with his new contract, he should be a legitimate title contender going into the next few seasons.

And of course, congratulations to Jason Plato for winning the final race of the season and Rory Butcher for adding the Independents Championship to his earlier Jack Sears Trophy triumph.

Looking forward to seeing what the 2020 season has up its sleeve!

Last edited:
Just read it. Good news for them and the series.

Todd probably didn't do enough homework. The Peugeots, Alfas, Hyundais, Cupras and Audis have the most development. The Opels, for sake of the "GM" badge, should have been passed over for Vws or something else.

There aren't any more Ford TCR cars, so, wonder what they are thinking about doing.

That would be cool. Adding a TCR car to their F1 weekend but that's highly unlikely/impossible. Good news on the Alfas though.

IN past Australia GPs, I was there when the Megane Trophys ran in the celebrity races. There was also a special Red Bull Edition that year too. Yeah, I doubt the team would allow him to run as a guest. However, Renault Australia are "supporting" the GRm cars. Maybe a tiny bit chance something could happen in some capacity.

Reading between the lines from what the head of Subaru UK said, it sounded like the cars have been effectively outlawed. I don't know if Subaru would have continued on in Factory guise or not after the original 4 year deal, but it certainly seems like the decision has been made for them. I understand they have to have parity between RWD/FWD and boxer engines to make it sure everyone has a shot, but TOCA have taken it too far and made the car uncompetitive.

Back