2021 F1 Driver ThreadFormula 1 

Rashford.

Sports Personality has never explicitly been about the most remarkable sporting achievement nor indeed about being the best "personality"; a list of previous winners is a veritable Who's That? of dullards.

Hamilton has done the most within a sport.
Rashford has done the most using sport as a platform for the positive good.

The award should be renamed as well as expand whom it recognises and for what. But at the end of the day, there's no looking past Hamilton or Rashford. Easily the top two contenders. You'd probably say Hamilton with Rashford getting a special merit award.

Either way, you know that a storm of gammon froth is on its way.

Last edited:
Rashford.

Sports Personality has never explicitly been about the most remarkable sporting achievement nor indeed about being the best "personality"; a list of previous winners is a veritable Who's That? of dullards.

Perhaps not.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54968207
Rashford is getting a special award, but probably won't be nominated for the main award because it's all about sporting achievement, not off-the-pitch stuff. Seeing as Man United haven't been great this year and other English footballers have performed better on the pitch, he probably won't get a full on nomination.

Last edited:
Poetry Fittipaldi will take Romain Grosjean’s place in the Haas for the Sakhir GP and for next season Callum Illot will not be in F1 after confirming it on Twitter. So that narrows down the field for the 2 Haas seats.

Poetry Fittipaldi will take Romain Grosjean’s place in the Haas for the Sakhir GP and for next season Callum Illot will not be in F1 after confirming it on Twitter. So that narrows down the field for the 2 Haas seats.

One Haas seat, isn't it? Mick Schumacher is in one of the seats. I can't recall if that's been officially confirmed but I think it's pretty much a schu-in.

I reckon Red bull aren't waiting for Albon to prove himself worthy of staying at the team, they're waiting for Tsunoda to get a Superlicense for a good finish in f2 this season. If he gets it, Albon will stay at RB with Tsunoda taking Kvyat's seat. If he has another bad weekend to finish off the season and doesn't finish high enough to get enough points for a Superlicense (I think he needs 4th), then RB will take Perez and demote Albon back to AlphaTauri.

I reckon Red bull aren't waiting for Albon to prove himself worthy of staying at the team, they're waiting for Tsunoda to get a Superlicense for a good finish in f2 this season. If he gets it, Albon will stay at RB with Tsunoda taking Kvyat's seat. If he has another bad weekend to finish off the season and doesn't finish high enough to get enough points for a Superlicense (I think he needs 4th), then RB will take Perez and demote Albon back to AlphaTauri.

Tsunoda is currently 5th and needs 5th. He only has to stay ahead of Christian Lundgaard but it basically seems out of his hands since he's constantly getting punctures and having breakdowns.

I would take Perez over Albon any day. Perez and Verstappen at Red Bull would be awesome.
Perez and Verstappen will go together like cats and dogs I think. Perez's ego will get in the way during the Max Show that is RBR, and I foresee a lot of sparks and headbutting if they're ever paired up.

I'm pretty sure Horner has said previously that Albon isn't going to be sent back to AlphaTauri if he doesn't make the grade this year, he's either in or he's out. Though given that they don't exactly keep a wishlist of replacement drivers on hand, it's not very surprising that they'll wait until postseason to make any actual decisions.

Perez would be a great fit for Ferrari but they've already got Sainz for next year.

Sainz must be dreading leaving McLaren given the dog Maranello have come up with this season.

Perez would be a great fit for Ferrari but they've already got Sainz for next year.

Sainz must be dreading leaving McLaren given the dog Maranello have come up with this season.
At the same time, they're probably paying him far more than any of the midfield teams would/could pay him to drive their car, and having a tenure at Ferrari is valuable in itself. That'll probably ease the sting somewhat if the car is still a shambles next year.

The Ferrari team up to Marchionne's death, yes. Now I think their strategy is looking at growing two young drivers in a radically reshuffled team. I think it would be a negative move for Perez in some respects, although clearly the dream for him (and almost every driver).

I'm with you there mate, but the only people on the planet not with that opinion seems to be Horner, Marko and Albon.
These are the same people who treated Ricciardo as a second tier driver right after he won at monaco lol. Red Bull works in ridiculous ways.

Either way, Perez basically confirmed on a livestream today that he won't be in F1 in 2021 but has "options" in 2022. If Tsunoda doesn't get the superlicense points, could be another year of status quo at the RBR teams assuming Kvyat hasn't already been sacked.

I just can't believe no one wants Checo.

If is Red Bull or nothing, then I think it's done. And then the only thing any team can offer him is being a reserve driver in 2022???

What an insult.

Red bull has the worst setup of driver hiring/switching/nurturing of all the teams on the grid.

Sure they use AT as a step into the main team, but they definitely don't know how to guide their second driver, or how to hire proven talent from outside.

He has, in his own words, mild symptoms. Good job everyone was wearing masks.

I think Guttierez is Mercedes' reserve driver this season but what an opportunity this would be for George Russell.

Back