2021 F1 Driver ThreadFormula 1 

The thing with Red Bull and the Albon/Perez/Gasly debacle, is the assumption that Perez will be any more proficient at driving that car than the other guys. He's good in the machines he has had yes, but perhaps there is a reason why Gasly and Albon, and in occasions this year even Verstappe , have struggled with the Red Bull. The car is built around Max' needs predominantly, and I'm sure that played a part in Ricciardo leaving (the whole 1st driver 2nd driver argument). What makes anyone think Perez will fare any better?

He would be better served waiting for whatever offer he has had for 2022 to pull through. Whilst Red Bull should do the unthinkable, if they do choose to drop Albon, throw Tsunoda straight in to the top team. Let him learn that car straight off the bat, he has a similar flamboyant style to Max.

Not even close to being correct.
He's there not because Thai businessman have major stake in Red Bull, right?
Even Max don't understand why the team not trying to give him a teammate who could cover him and he has to fight for two places on the same time.

He's there not because Thai businessman have major stake in Red Bull, right?
Even Max don't understand why the team not trying to give him a teammate who could cover him and he has to fight for two places on the same time.

Nope. His nationality hasn't helped him in that regard. In fact he was originally in the Red Bull driving program as he moved in to single seaters, they dropped him after 1 season. So no, his nationality won't be doing him favours.

He's always had it tough backing and finance wise, scraping through each season, particularly F2.

I don't see the risk, it will be theoretically the best car he will ever get, what's the point of racing if you stay content with rubbish.

The risk is obvious no? He jumps into a car designed for a driver who is totally different to him, struggles massively for the year, hovering around 9th, 8th etc. Stock drops and leaves F1 at the end of the year with no 2022 deal.

Its just one side of the theoretical coin, the other side is he jumps in, is immediately comfortable and is a perfect number 2 to Max.

All I'm saying is, a "top drive" has absolutely no guarantee of success.

The Red Bull dilemma is that they’ve designed a car that only Max can drive on the limit and expect someone else to drive at a similar level. Albon hasn’t gotten a fair shot in my eyes and having a proper day in next years car, if Red Bull will allow it, should help him close that gap.

Will he beat Max? No. But Red Bull just want someone who will finish close enough to Max to give Mercedes a headache

The Red Bull dilemma is that they’ve designed a car that only Max can drive on the limit and expect someone else to drive at a similar level. Albon hasn’t gotten a fair shot in my eyes and having a proper day in next years car, if Red Bull will allow it, should help him close that gap.

Will he beat Max? No. But Red Bull just want someone who will finish close enough to Max to give Mercedes a headache
He's had a year-and-a-half. This is more than both Kvyat and Gasly had, and he hasn't been as quick as even Kvyat was compared to a highly rated team mate. Albon has had his chance, and if the car is the issue, then next season in the same car isn't going to be any different. Perez, Hulkenberg and Kvyat are all without a drive next season, and all could do the same job as Albon at the very least, and most likely could all do better than being stuck in the midfield. he did the bare minimum of what was required of him in Abu Dhabi, but doing the bare minimum for about 20% of the season is not good enough for a team that could have fought for the championship if Verstappen wasn't having to fight on his own. Perez outscored Albon by 20 points - despite driving a slower car and missing 2 races. There just aren't any excuses. Albon's a great guy and a decent driver, Red Bull just need someone better than "decent" after 2 years of having to be a one-car team effectively.

Albon's fate will be decided "in the coming days", which for some reason sounds more ominous than it really should.

Meanwhile, Callum Ilott is taking on the role of Ferrari's test driver.
I reckon Perez should get the drive, but it's debatable whether he is the right choice to partner Max Verstappen. Sadly, the ship may have sailed for Perez, but it would be great if he at least had a year or two in a top seat.

As for Ilott, that is great for him... Ferrari have been out of sorts for too long, and this year has been frankly abysmal, but they are and hopefully always will be a force to be reckoned with, and being in their top team is a fantastic opportunity and achievement.

Last edited:
Being a test driver these days is basically meaningless. Test drivers back in the day like Wurz and de la Rosa clocked in more mileage than their racing team mates. These days it basically means you hover around the paddock occasionally getting a run in FP1 and hoping one of your team mates tests positive for COVID.

giphy.gif

As written already a couple of months ago: Yuki it is!

He will join the Alpha Tauri team per next season and Kvyat will leave the team

upload_2020-12-16_9-16-12.png

Last edited:
The risk is obvious no? He jumps into a car designed for a driver who is totally different to him, struggles massively for the year, hovering around 9th, 8th etc. Stock drops and leaves F1 at the end of the year with no 2022 deal.

Its just one side of the theoretical coin, the other side is he jumps in, is immediately comfortable and is a perfect number 2 to Max.

All I'm saying is, a "top drive" has absolutely no guarantee of success.
Perez isn't a young driver anymore and his entire career till now he has been in midfield cars while facing a year on the side lines, I don't see the risk in joining a team like Redbull, even if he does get beaten handily the grid still knows what he is capable of, success isn't guaranteed but who goes into a drive thinking that, I would bet most drivers on the grid are willing to test them selves with a good car even at the risk of their careers.

If you think Red Bull need anymore justification than Perez's Sakhir win, then look no further.

upload_2020-12-16_13-14-42.png

He has financial support, but that has no affect on why Red Bull should be hiring Perez.

Although social media isn't news... for those defenders of Mazepin this might be.

Andrea D'Ival - the woman groped in the video - and her good friend Mazepin seem to have now unfollowed each other on Instagram. She has now also posted a series of... uhhh... "stories"? in which she gives advice to her younger self to "don't let anyone touch you or disrespect you again", "don't drink with assholes", and what seems to be a photograph of graffiti which says "protect drunk girls".

But sure, they're mates and it was a joke and stuff.

Although social media isn't news... for those defenders of Mazepin this might be.

Andrea D'Ival - the woman groped in the video - and her good friend Mazepin seem to have now unfollowed each other on Instagram. She has now also posted a series of... uhhh... "stories"? in which she gives advice to her younger self to "don't let anyone touch you or disrespect you again", "don't drink with assholes", and what seems to be a photograph of graffiti which says "protect drunk girls".

But sure, they're mates and it was a joke and stuff.

I hope Haas drops him. He seems like such a douchebag

Young doesn't always mean fast or deserved. If Alonso is still on the pace, and can keep it, he has to be worth the drive. And I say that as a huge Alonso fan who thinks he shouldn't come back.

Me two seconds ago
Young doesn't always mean fast or deserved

Räikkönen on the other hand...

Last edited:
I really hope Mazepin is out on his ass, replace him with someone who actually deserves it, like Ilott.

Why did this girl wait to do a 180? this should have been her stance since the start of all this.

Last edited:
I really hope Mazepin is out on his ass, replace him with someone who actually deserves it, like Ilott.

Why did this girl wait to do a 180? this should have been her stance since the start of all this.

Most likely because they're both idiots

It wouldn't surprise if she got paid off by him or his dad to make that statement. They've both unfollowed each other on Instagram now so whatever "friendship" they have is a very strange one.

Back