2021 F1 Driver ThreadFormula 1 

This is Red Bull's first non-YDP signing since... Mark Webber? That was in 2007, thirteen years ago.

Well very happy t see Perez has got the expected drive for next year with Red Bull, hopefully that brings things up a gear or two against
Mercedes.

Now that Toto has stayed it can't be too much longer before the expected confirmation of Mercedes second driver...

This is Red Bull's first non-YDP signing since... Mark Webber? That was in 2007, thirteen years ago.
It will be interesting to see how Marko reacts to this, since we have seen history of his bad treatment of drivers that are not handpicked by himself.

If they get to race at Mexico next year surely they will get their money back in merchandise, the Mexican fans are insane lol.

Last edited:

To the Red Bull team itself yes. Sebastian Bourdais in 2008 is the most recent non-YDP driver to either team. Still a long time.

Though it could be argued Albon technically wasn't at the time of moving up, he was dropped by Red Bull after 1 year of car racing and had actually signed to race for e.Dams Nissan in Formula E before having to get out of that commitment to take the STR seat. But technically he was a Red Bull junior at some stage.

To the Red Bull team itself yes. Sebastian Bourdais in 2008 is the most recent non-YDP driver to either team. Still a long time.

Though it could be argued Albon technically wasn't at the time of moving up, he was dropped by Red Bull after 1 year of car racing and had actually signed to race for e.Dams Nissan in Formula E before having to get out of that commitment to take the STR seat. But technically he was a Red Bull junior at some stage.
Either way it's an admit to failure of the programme since post Gasly there has been a clear let down in the talent, as beforehand it's been a constant stream of drivers within a year or two, now it seems Ferrari and or Renault have the best young drivers coming through and Redbull have let their guard down, as usually they always had the monopoly on the best kids coming through.

Either way it's an admit to failure of the programme since post Gasly there has been a clear let down in the talent, as beforehand it's been a constant stream of drivers within a year or two, now it seems Ferrari and or Renault have the best young drivers coming through and Redbull have let their guard down, as usually they always had the monopoly on the best kids coming through.

For sure. Though the next few years could produce some interesting talents, and with that, interesting problems for Red Bull. Tsunoda I think is the first truly exciting Red Bull Young driver for a while, will be interesting to see how he stacks up against Gasly.

Lower down, Jehan Daruvala has showed glimpses of being very good in F2, just needs to back that up with the difficult second F2 season to see how he really stacks up. Then there's Liam Lawson who looked pretty good in F3, few wins to his name in a very competitive field. Juri Vips who impressed in F3 and in the few starts he had in F2 this season was pretty quick.

Then a few outsiders, Mick Doohan, Igor Fraga, Dennis Hauger. All of whom have got that difficult first F3 season out of the way and have the opportunity to bang in some big results in 2021.

So for the next 2-4 years look better than the past few years have looked but a lot of it is dependant on how they now get on in their respective upcoming campaigns.

Interesting to see how it developes and if the Red Bull program is still as good as it used to be, like you say, especially against the emerging academy's that Renault and Ferrari have produced. Trouble for Renault being they only have 2 seats and no customer/junior teams so I do fear they'll lose talents even faster than Red Bull.

Last edited:
Unless there's a clause in Perez's contract to suck up to Max and Horner, I'd like to think that he will challenge Max which could push RB to bring a bigger challenge to Mercedes. Perez has been in the midfield for so long, I think that being a car that can actually win races, he will want to go for those wins that have escaped him for so long. He's a fairly consistent driver so I don't see why he wouldn't pull off a good season in that car.

I think in terms of experience, both Albon and Gasly are technically at "rookie" level compared to Perez. So while Max will probably be the faster driver and likely to beat Perez , I don't think Perez's performance will be as bad as Gasly or Albon. We might see something similar to when Ricciardo was Max's teammate.

It will be interesting to see how Marko reacts to this, since we have seen history of his bad treatment of drivers that are not handpicked by himself.

If they get to race at Mexico next year surely they will get their money back in merchandise, the Mexican fans are insane lol.

As outlined by Kravitz last Sunday, it was Helmutt and Horner who wanted Perez in the seat.

Would be interesting to see, if RB is genuinely challenging for Constructors next year and VB continues to be mediocre, whether Toto will fast track George's promotion.

Anyway, happy to see Sergio stay. I don't think he will beat Max on raw pace, but on Sundays I bet he will surprise a few people ;)

Pretty happy with the way the grid looks next year. Ideally I'd probably swap Latifi/Mazepin/Gio with Illot/Kvyat/Hulk, but you can't have everything I suppose.

I have a friend who works in a team, he's back at the factory nowadays but he assures me that the big problem in Red Bull (edit: with a view to Perez joining) was not actually Marko, it was Jos Verstappen. I have no idea how true that is but it's plausible.

Anyway, I've tried following this and I think it's right :D

Last edited:
I have to say, after he made that comment, I lost all the respect I had for him as driver.....as if the other guys weren't supposed to be racing him for position!

I'll be honest, I think F1 has no business broadcasting 99% of team radio. Albon was just exasperated and under pressure, and if he phrased it by asking if they could get Toro Rosso cars to get out of the way in a calm manner instead, noone would've cared.

Last edited:
Only because they make it their business.

Yes. If the business didn't exist then the cars wouldn't be there, with or without radios. Are you saying that pit broadcasts should be private. Besides, the monitoring is arguably part of the "Alone and Unaided" rule which comes from the sanctioning body (FIA).

Are you saying that pit broadcasts should be private.

Yes. I hate team radio.

The FIA can still record all the radio for the stewards to pay attention to during the race but Liberty don't have to air it on the broadcast production.

Team Radio has produced most of the iconic lines from F1 history, why stop? It's one of the largest draws to Formula 1 as a brand. How many other sports broadcast the thoughts of their superstars while they're doing their job? You don't get to clearly hear the exact thoughts of Lionel Messi, Roger Federer, Owen Farrell, Tiger Woods and pretty much every other professional sport. You just get a few soundbites from 2 minute interviews after the time. I'm sure that if FIFA could mic up some of the players at the World Cup to share exactly what they're saying in high stress situations, they'd get some clips that were 100% Golden like Formula 1 has.

"Senna's victory screams in Brazil"
"****ing, ****ing Raikkonen. What a ****ing idiot"
"Felipe Baby, stay cool"
"Not bad for a number 2 driver"
"Fernando is faster than you"
"All the time you have to leave-a da space"
"Leave me alone I know what I'm doing"
"Multi-21"
"GP2 Engine, GP2. AARGH"
"Grazie Ragazzi"
"Oh I'm out! Crashed! Somebody hit me up the ****ing rear, Turn 2, and then someone hit me up the ****ing rear again, Turn 3...."
"What are we doing, Racing or Ping Pong?"
"Gloves and Steering Wheel. Eh. GLOVES AND STEERING WHEEL. C'MAAN GIVE THEM TO ME"
"5 seconds it's a yoke. Where is Palmer? Karma"
"I think Ericsson hit us"
"IN IN IN IN IN IN IN IN IN IN IN IN IN IN"
"Valtteri, It's James"
"Bono, My tyres are dead"
"Smooth Operator"

I hate it during the race, always have and always will. There is a direct negative correlation between my enjoyment of Formula One and team radio. Irrespective of whether the racing was good or not, I preferred watching when I didn't know all of the intrigues and strategies ahead of time. After the race? Yeah, sure. It's probably cute to listen to afterwards and piece things together.

The analogy I tend to use is going to a magic show knowing how all of the tricks are done already; it's still a good show but the, uh... 'magic' just isn't there.

/opinion

They need to go further and allow team mates to communicate during races.

Not sure about that. I enjoy the team radio generally but I think it should be cut down a little bit. You're not allowed to jump out in the pitlane to dupe teams into pitting or whatever so doing it over the radio shouldn't be allowed.

Would be more interesting if the other teams couldn't hear all the team radio from rivals to keep them second guessing but there's no way you could police that.

Not sure about that. I enjoy the team radio generally but I think it should be cut down a little bit. You're not allowed to jump out in the pitlane to dupe teams into pitting or whatever so doing it over the radio shouldn't be allowed.

Would be more interesting if the other teams couldn't hear all the team radio from rivals to keep them second guessing but there's no way you could police that.

I mean, the only radio-based communication I'm not a fan of is commentators interviewing the pit wall during races. Next they'll be wanting to do the same with drivers. Let everyone concentrate and collect their thoughts after the race and then you can jump them the second they get out of the car instead of waiting till the press conference like they used to.

Last edited:
They should probably be selective about what they do broadcast as hearing a time delayed message saying "we will box in three laps" is neither useful to the audience nor does it make the broadcast more engaging. But the fact of the matter is that picking the right messages to broadcast can add to the tension of a race (ie. "we're down on power" type messages) and that some messages just add to the entertainment value (ie. the Alonso "karma" message). There's a balance to strike though.

Back