Polyphony Digital May (Finally) Be Outsourcing 3D Modeling Work

thank baby Jesus! we'll be able to get more cars and the games will be finished much much faster

^^ this! :) Then the PD launch / debut / whatever game for the "new" generation of consoles doesn't come at that console's near-end of life window. :P

(Just kidding I guess since GT Sport is nearing 1 year of age and the PS5 is probably still 2 years away.)

When the originally announced that they wanted to reach, what, around 500~ cars I was a bit skeptical. With outsourcing I can see them hitting that target if they support the game in the coming years, at the amount they've been releasing monthly. I really don't think they'd continue it for so years, but this is good news none-the-less, and I'm wondering if the change of heart stemmed from the fact that they aimed to remodel all their vehicles, and the sheer amount of work that would involve.

Good on them, and they can very much control the fidelity of these models, it just depends on how they approach it themselves.

Last edited:
They need to outsource Server Maintenance too so we can get a proper Sport Mode schedule going again. Then maybe they could even keep older games around for longer because it won't be taking up all the servers in the HQ and it'll be hosted elsewhere.

I feel like if the quality of the current cars can be matched or even possibly upped, outsourcing car models could be a good idea. However, the pessimist in me feels like this could lead to huge differences in quality between certain modelling teams which could lead to backlash from the fans. (Example: In Street Fighter V you can easily tell where the talent went in terms of which outsourced new DLC characters look and animate better than characters that came earlier in the DLC list as well as the characters that were on the default roster.)

On the whole, I think it could be a good idea for the series. It certainly could help lessen the development gap between games that Polyphony Digital are infamous for, but again I think it could only really work well if the quality is up to par.

^^ this! :) Then the PD launch / debut / whatever game for the "new" generation of consoles doesn't come at that console's near-end of life window. :P

(Just kidding I guess since GT Sport is nearing 1 year of age and the PS5 is probably still 2 years away.)
I'd really like to see similar progress like PS3 era GT games... first we get very early glimpse of the next-gen GT vision (like GT HD) and then I would not mind a GT Prologue game to make waiting for next full GT bearable.

I feel like if the quality of the current cars can be matched or even possibly upped, outsourcing car models could be a good idea. However, the pessimist in me feels like this could lead to huge differences in quality between certain modelling teams which could lead to backlash from the fans. (Example: In Street Fighter V you can easily tell where the talent went in terms of which outsourced new DLC characters look and animate better than characters that came earlier in the DLC list as well as the characters that were on the default roster.)

On the whole, I think it could be a good idea for the series. It certainly could help lessen the development gap between games that Polyphony Digital are infamous for, but again I think it could only really work well if the quality is up to par.

So...like a Standard model and a Premium model.....yeah PD would never do that.:lol:

Some standards might as well have been premium such as the R390, with an actual premium like the Stratos running around.
That there was already variations in modeling before, when all done in house, the outsourcing wouldn't be changing much. Even in GTS, there are minor variances, even though they aren't really an issue.

Last edited:
Which doesn't change the fact that there was already variations in modeling before, when all done in house. Even in GTS, there are minor variances, even though they aren't really an issue.

So that said, out-sourcing wouldn't really change much in that regard.

Huh? I was giving an example of exactly that.

The Honda S660 took how long?? Nothing says the team chosen for outsourcing is any faster than PD. Just under a different roof. But more people can only be a good thing (unless they're slower).

In my opinion this move indeed good for PD in the future. "One car, one man" is not relative anymore since they have to catch up with numbers. If only we knew whether other aspect like tracks were also outsourced though.

For those who wondering where this get started it is from this (some of you here may already know) :

While browsing through Twitter I discovered something. There is company called "Cafe" and turns out they are responsible for modelling the new Honda S660. Here is the tweet :

Then I checked their Facebook page :

View attachment 755919 View attachment 755920

As far as I knew PD always did the modelling in house. Could be PD finally decided it is better to do outsourcing in car modelling? Or perhaps this company is still affiliated with PD as business partner or company group? :confused:What do you guys think? 💡

Thanks GTP for bring these to front page! :gtpflag:

Back