ABS weak...

• Thread starter Groundfish
  • 12 comments

Do you use it?

• Total voters
I’m curious though can you even tell on replay what’s being used?
My replay will show yellow if it’s off (unusable) but weak looks same as default when I look at my replay..

I use abs default for everything apart from the kart, that's abs off. I haven't experimented with abs weak but if there was an advantage to it I'm sure the aliens would be all over it, and I haven't seen that.

These are the same group of people who worked out that the SSRX Supra was faster at 90% throttle. Apparently there's no limit to their ability to find an advantage :lol:

How can you tell the difference between weak and default on replay?
On my game I can switch, do a lap, but what’s displayed looks the same.

I’m curious though can you even tell on replay what’s being used?
My replay will show yellow if it’s off (unusable) but weak looks same as default when I look at my replay..

I thought it changed colours depending on which setting you’re on, but I’m not 100% sure which colour is which setting. :)

How can you tell the difference between weak and default on replay?
You can't tell by looking at it. Either way, it's just gonna show that ABS is on. Like the TCS light will look the same, whether it's set to 1 or 5.
If you have good ears, maybe you can hear a difference in the braking zones.

ABS weak will show up as a yellow icon on the normal ABS indicator instead of red.

I tried it about a year ago and at first thought that it for sure helped me go faster somehow. Once you learn how to properly trail brake though there's no advantage. Only a disadvantage from having to feather the brake pedal. It's not realistic to how GT4 and GT3 cars work in real life either.

If the reasoning was to simulate GTE cars then I could see the point, but you'd just have ABS off for that.

Mine will only be yellow if ABS is set to OFF.
What I see matches what @sturk0167 replied.
I have found like on the 911 they ran on the Nord a while back that using default caused a lot of understeer entering turns.
I’ve found sometimes abs weak makes the cars rotate better entering turns, also it can shorten braking distance a little.
I dunno. Like the m4 gr4. On weak setting it just seems to turn in way way better...
The only difference I’ve seen is the bar itself on braking. With default you can see red plus white sometimes if you look at it live. On weak it just stays red only.
On replay my replays look the same always.
The abs circle on my replays always stays red.
The abs circle is only yellow on abs Off.
In game the explanation reads with default abs some tire grip is always allocated for turning.
With weak I think it’s possible to stop more quickly and trail brake better.
Now I’m NOT saying it’s going to be easy or even the best or most consistent way to go in race, usually in race you want absolute consistency, default has that covered, plus not locking up in slipstream etc.
I bet though a stopping test on SSX in a few gr3 and 4 might reveal differences between weak and default.
I had been running weak for a long time on everything before the last gr4 Seaside race. I found with those hard braking zones and needing a perfect trail in to be fast that the weak setting was giving me troubles. I was overdoing it on the fronts and not rotating enough while turning in.
I just wonder how can you know what a person runs when weak and default look the same on replay?
Looks like I am odd man out really testing weak from the poll lol.

Last edited:
Good catch with the coloration. I thought yellow meant weak, not off. My bad.

Regardless, I think the response to you poll is a result of this topic being discussed extensively before where ABS weak was also deemed the worse option. Another example would be last year when we got the ABS glitch that would switch your setting to Weak from Default. It caused numerous ruined races.

Of course this is all personal preference. Go with what feels best for you.

Last edited:
Real men turn ABS off. In fact, real men don't use brakes at all. Or the steering wheel. Just the gas pedal. ;)

GT ABS applies to older cars without ABS and newer ones where off isn't an option (and technically illegal. voiding insurance and warranty.)

I wouldn't think as them as settings. Just options to turn it down or off.

Back