Aggressive driving in Sport Mode.

• Thread starter kilesa4568
  • 219 comments
So, yes if I judge I’m at fault for ruining some other’s race I will concede, in the dog eat dog world of sport I think those of us that do, well that makes us mugs.

Not mugs. It's a hollow overtake if I feel I have wronged somebody and if I can safely give the position back I will. Hopefully I give a bit of hope back to the person who I hit/nudge/misjudged that not all online racers are do or die "my life depends on it" kind of drivers.

I want to win. I want to be competitive, but not to the detriment of other peoples enjoyment.

x1 bad overtake in a lobby can cause the mentality to shift to toxic. It can be seen by anybody in close proximity on track, and can breed a "well if they are doing it, so am I", or vigilante revenge driving.

I understand peoples will to win. But for me, I want to win in the right way and not at all costs. This is at my own cost. I could just play the game to it's own penalties and see what I can get away with, but that's not me.

Not mugs. It's a hollow overtake if I feel I have wronged somebody and if I can safely give the position back I will. Hopefully I give a bit of hope back to the person who I hit/nudge/misjudged that not all online racers are do or die "my life depends on it" kind of drivers.

I want to win. I want to be competitive, but not to the detriment of other peoples enjoyment.

x1 bad overtake in a lobby can cause the mentality to shift to toxic. It can be seen by anybody in close proximity on track, and can breed a "well if they are doing it, so am I", or vigilante revenge driving.

I understand peoples will to win. But for me, I want to win in the right way and not at all costs. This is at my own cost. I could just play the game to it's own penalties and see what I can get away with, but that's not me.

Agreed, but how many professional sports people do you see reporting themselves to the referee? Including motorsports? (The only sport that I can think of is snooker).

I race with the exact same mentality, not everyone who plays sport mode will have an understanding of motorsport rules to be able to self govern.

Most will expect the game to penalise them when they are in the wrong, so its all well and good that we may consider others fun, but if that means we are playing a game to a different set of rules, a stricter set, then I do think I’m a mug when I relinquish a place when the game deems I’ve done nothing wrong, even when I know the game is wrong in its ‘judgement’.

Agreed, but how many professional sports people do you see reporting themselves to the referee? Including motorsports? (The only sport that I can think of is snooker).

That's a real life sport paying somebody money for a career. GTS is an online game. There's a distinct difference in how competitors should behave imo.

Once you get into comp esports, then that blurs the line between real and online a little, but for us mere mortals who are not aliens, we should treat others with some moral code of conduct, and not quote BTCC or Ayrton Senna as to what is right or wrong on track.

Edit: Senna is an idol of mine. Loved watching him race when I was younger, but you cannot apply his mentality to somebody in a bedroom, racing strangers for nothing more than DR/SR points and some fun. (This was a general statement and not implying you have used any of the terms I've mentioned above) :gtpflag:

I've learned about driving / racing the hard way in the GT4 era, when I finally realized that all the 'good guys' applied real life rules and ethics to GT racing - I always assumed so at least :). It felt incredibly cool to be a part of that and that's what made GT more than just a game and so very special to me. So, although I see that this tends to be a disadvantage in Sport Mode I'm nowhere near choosing 'the other way' :cool:.

Last edited:
Edit: Senna is an idol of mine. Loved watching him race when I was younger, but you cannot apply his mentality to somebody in a bedroom, racing strangers for nothing more than DR/SR points and some fun.

I think you'd be pleased to know that even Senna did not apply his known "mentality" to his own racing.

His famous quote, “If you no longer go for a gap which exists you are no longer a racing driver." was actually made somewhat under duress as he was being investigated for his barge pass crash on Prost at Suzuka. That crash was a calculated take out of Prost in order to ensure that Senna would win the season (most of us already know this) so when he was interviewed by reporters he had to really sell that the move was sincere or else he could have been disqualified.

A year after the collision Senna publicly stated this about the crash... "
“I said to myself: ‘OK, you try to work cleanly and do the job properly and you get ****ed by stupid people. All right, if tomorrow Prost beats me off the line, at the first corner I will go for it, and he better not turn in because he is not going to make it’. And it just happened.”

My favorite quote though is from Mario Andretti - "Sure you go for gaps, the trick is finding one wide enough for your car."

https://www.racefans.net/2015/11/20...ich-exists-you-are-no-longer-a-racing-driver/

Good to see I wasn't on my own in that but in the grand scheme of things, we are mugs for redressing in sport mode. When you do it in a race, do yourself a favour and save the replay for later. At least half of them aren't my fault but I redress anyway, just in case. A tough call to make on many more so I'm even redressing the 50-50's. I'm a self flagellating, old school racing dinosaur.:lol:

My favorite quote though is from Mario Andretti - "Sure you go for gaps, the trick is finding one wide enough for your car."

That is a way cooler quote than Senna's and may even be my new sport mode intro message.👍👍

I'll still see drivers trying to put a square peg into a round hole though. Hammering away until it fits.:lol:

Most people don't realise Senna's quote came immediately after deliberately crashing into Prost at 200kmh. Kind of undermines the message.
As long as you don't take it to extremes, it's still a good quote.
I knew the quote for a while but it was only recently that I learned he said that after the Suzuka crash. I always thought the gap was a metaphor for race pace or something :lol:

I think PD should remove the "Let's have a clean race" message. It's nothing but sarcasm at this point in the daily C. Clean races do not exist, they are merely a fantasy told to children before they go to sleep. The track should be renamed to Red rage ring or Red mist ring or Red road ring as people drive more over the red zones than the actual track.

If you want to see aggressive driving, try race C while driving in the back field.

LOL

First of all :cheers::cheers::cheers: to @Sven Jurgens for his never ending dedication to take part in the most crappy racing and reporting about it. He'll be the last man standing but honestly, I've no clue how the man survives that :lol:.
I've read in the "PISS PENALTIES" thread what actually is happening at RBR and I gotta say it's a shame ... again.
On the other hand I can say "Had that, been there ..." because we had the exact same track exploits in GT6 QM. I remember one of our current 24Superstars drivers perfecting it and actually gaining an advantage, while the rest just caused carnage without gaining the least bit in laptime :yuck:.
It's really disappointing that this is possible ... again - in a somehow ambitious E-sports package called GT Sport
[ shakes head in complete disbelief ].

Last edited:

I think you'd be pleased to know that even Senna did not apply his known "mentality" to his own racing.

His famous quote, “If you no longer go for a gap which exists you are no longer a racing driver." was actually made somewhat under duress as he was being investigated for his barge pass crash on Prost at Suzuka. That crash was a calculated take out of Prost in order to ensure that Senna would win the season (most of us already know this) so when he was interviewed by reporters he had to really sell that the move was sincere or else he could have been disqualified.

A year after the collision Senna publicly stated this about the crash... "
“I said to myself: ‘OK, you try to work cleanly and do the job properly and you get ****ed by stupid people. All right, if tomorrow Prost beats me off the line, at the first corner I will go for it, and he better not turn in because he is not going to make it’. And it just happened.”

That was also because of politics. Senna started on pole, but then afterwards Balestre and co. decided that the pole sitter should start on the inside of the track, which is the dirty side of the track. (favouring Prost) So Senna made it clear that if Prost would beat him off the line, he made sure Prost wouldn't make it through turn 1.

I think PD should remove the "Let's have a clean race" message. It's nothing but sarcasm at this point in the daily C. Clean races do not exist, they are merely a fantasy told to children before they go to sleep. The track should be renamed to Red rage ring or Red mist ring or Red road ring as people drive more over the red zones than the actual track.

If you want to see aggressive driving, try race C while driving in the back field.

GamerMuscle has the perfect solution for you and every other serious sim racer out there:

:lol:

LOL

First of all :cheers::cheers::cheers: to @Sven Jurgens for his never ending dedication to take part in the most crappy racing and reporting about it. He'll be the last man standing but honestly, I've no clue how the man survives that :lol:.
I've read in the "PISS PENALTIES" thread what actually is happening at RBR and I gotta say it's a shame ... again.
On the other hand I can say "Had that, been there ..." because we had the exact same track exploits in GT6 QM. I remember one of our current 24Superstars drivers perfecting it and actually gaining an advantage, while the rest just caused carnage without gaining the least bit in laptime :yuck:.
It's really disappointing that this is possible ... again - in a somehow ambitious E-sports package called GT Sport

PD have got to be doing a copy/paste job on track limits there. A great track spoiled for online racing and while the run offs are open to me too, I'd rather pull my teeth with pliers than use them.

Needless to say, I'm way off the pace with my own lap times and don't fancy dodging all the track reentries.

/Waves to Gr2 cars. Maybe next time.:(

SR limit like iRacing ? But that will take away great side to side battle. I like what being implemented in GT Sport

:)
Fine.
:odd:
However ... does "fair" mean to you what it means to me ?
A slight bump or rub doesn't bother me as long as it doesn't turn into a banger match. There is absolutely no possibility of a race without it so PD need to remove their thumbs from their bosses ass and find a balance so we can race each other hard and fair without the fear of a 10 second penalty. I think most people would agree.
In fairness I haven't raced in a couple of months so I can't say if it's changed and I won't race again until it's fixed.

LOL

Try the 'A' Mini race - it's been incredibly clean this week, with no aggressive driving. 2 of the 3 times when I've been pushed wide, the pusher has given the place back!

I've been able to finish top 3 in most races, but even when I haven't, I've still finished with a smile on my face :). When the comments come up after the race, it looks as though everybody else feels the same!

Try the 'A' Mini race - it's been incredibly clean this week, with no aggressive driving. 2 of the 3 times when I've been pushed wide, the pusher has given the place back!

I've been able to finish top 3 in most races, but even when I haven't, I've still finished with a smile on my face :). When the comments come up after the race, it looks as though everybody else feels the same!

See the daily race discussion lol.

I did a daily A race in between, which worked! Utterly boring though. Started 12th got to 9th, was afraid to brake too early with cars already bumping me several times, went wide in T2, stayed in 12th for the rest of the race. Small cars means more pushing?

I got SR down from getting bumped from behind after overtaking a couple people that got punted off (didn't qualify naturally). I didn't want to risk losing SR on this race so wasn't pushing it after falling to last again. Slow races aren't for me anyway. I judge speed, braking and corner entry much better at higher speeds. At low speeds I have to look at the speedometer (or drive in VR) to get the right sense of speed. It would be a joy to race the mini in VR, next gen maybe.

did a daily A race in between, which worked! Utterly boring though. Started 12th got to 9th, was afraid to brake too early with cars already bumping me several times, went wide in T2, stayed in 12th for the rest of the race. Small cars means more pushing?

Don't know whether there's more pushing, but it's certainly difficult to avoid a bit of doorhandle rubbing in the Mini races - just how they race in real life too! They were doorhandle to doorhandle with Ford Mustangs and Galaxies at the recent Silverstone Classic, great fun.

I should imagine that the races could be boring at the back, but at the front I've been involved in numerous 3 or 4 car battles for the lead, with the outcome not clear until the final corner of the last lap. Aggressive driving doesn't work with slower cars, they respond better to smooth inputs, and failed attempts at ramming etc leave the protaganist too far back to catch the lead pack again.

You might have to go against your usual non-qualifying rule for the true experience :)

I did a sport mode race for the first time in a long time yesterday and quickly remembered why I stopped playing sport mode. Started off near the rear which I was happy with because I just wanted a clean race but as people were taking each other out I quickly went from 12th to 5th place. I let a faster player pass me at the end of a straight, got back into the racing line and saw a few cars behind closing the distance slowly. Next thing I know I've been dive-bombed ('ring GP) on the first hairpin and nearly punted into Oblivion. Luck was on my side and I held it together but lost the position and more idiots caught up. IMO it seems like one bad driver will multiply as the race goes on. Kind of like how a bad attitude spreads. Once the pack caught up it was all bumping, punt attempts, got pushed off into the gravel, just really irritating. I wish there was a better system or someway to downvote especially bad drivers. Nothing ticks me off more than having a clean race and some idiot with 4 seconds of penalties dive bombs and punts me off track, ruining my entire race. That's why people quit playing sport mode.

Aggressive driving doesn't work with slower cars, they respond better to smooth inputs, and failed attempts at ramming etc leave the protaganist too far back to catch the lead pack again.

Are you familiar with the characteristics of the mini? It seemed weird how it would rev up fast and high while turning and then bog itself down on the straights. It also felt like the car would pull to the left while trying to accelerate out of a turn. It's a fun car to drive but I can't make any sense of what the engine is doing.

I did a sport mode race for the first time in a long time yesterday and quickly remembered why I stopped playing sport mode. Started off near the rear which I was happy with because I just wanted a clean race but as people were taking each other out I quickly went from 12th to 5th place. I let a faster player pass me at the end of a straight, got back into the racing line and saw a few cars behind closing the distance slowly. Next thing I know I've been dive-bombed ('ring GP) on the first hairpin and nearly punted into Oblivion. Luck was on my side and I held it together but lost the position and more idiots caught up. IMO it seems like one bad driver will multiply as the race goes on. Kind of like how a bad attitude spreads. Once the pack caught up it was all bumping, punt attempts, got pushed off into the gravel, just really irritating. I wish there was a better system or someway to downvote especially bad drivers. Nothing ticks me off more than having a clean race and some idiot with 4 seconds of penalties dive bombs and punts me off track, ruining my entire race. That's why people quit playing sport mode.

My experiences to a ‘T’.

Here was a typical Sport Mode race in my world:

Start in the back on purpose to get a clean race.

Watch everyone ahead crash into each other before the first turn.

Drive cleanly through the carnage and find myself mid pack driving in clean air for a lap or so.

Get caught by all the wreckers and find myself giving up positions intentionally, or otherwise find myself punted off.

Watch them wreck or drive off circuit (again).

Pass them again.

Lather, Rinse, Repeat.

Finish 10th.

Are you familiar with the characteristics of the mini? It seemed weird how it would rev up fast and high while turning and then bog itself down on the straights. It also felt like the car would pull to the left while trying to accelerate out of a turn. It's a fun car to drive but I can't make any sense of what the engine is doing.
I can't exactly say for sure without a video, but it looks like the front tires are losing grip which makes them spin more, causing the revs. It regains the grip in the straights, bogging the engine down. I also had this feeling back when I was a Megane sheepling

It's weird indeed because you don't really hear it from the tires itself, and there's no tire smoke coming out as well. It is what it is I guess? :boggled:

A slight bump or rub doesn't bother me as long as it doesn't turn into a banger match. There is absolutely no possibility of a race without it so PD need to remove their thumbs from their bosses ass and find a balance so we can race each other hard and fair without the fear of a 10 second penalty. I think most people would agree.
In fairness I haven't raced in a couple of months so I can't say if it's changed and I won't race again until it's fixed.
I've been racing a LOT this week and I can confirm slight taps go unpunished, even bump drafting is fine in my experience!

Only when someone takes the mick will they get a penalty. It does mean you can get punted and if you stay on track the other guy may go unpunished, but I prefer it this way, much less chance of being penalised for basically nothing.

Back