Alfa Romeo Giulia 2016

• Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 578 comments
The question is, since the top model we are seeing here competes against the likes of a C63 AMG, what's the price going to be?

I wouldn't be surprised if the QV was priced near £50k.

Guys, guys, guys. If this thing's half as good as they're promising, R.I.P. German sedans.

Only thing Alfa has left to do is build a DTM car

That i would love to see BUT if they were to enter Motorsport again, think they look at WTCC or maybe TCR with one of there other models, they plan to release in the next 12 months.

I like it, quite a bit, though I'm not sold on the quasi-1-series headlights. Like others have said, it's very 3-series in profile. It does still look related to the 156/159 that came before, however.

I wonder how Maserati feels about this model, seeing as how it's got 100 more horsepower than their own turbo V6, and is very nearly matching the bigger turbo V8 from the Q'porte.

That looks absolutely gorgeous and the noise that V6 makes :drool:

Think i need to go down to my local dealers and book me a test drive. Was looking at getting a 4C but may of changed my mind.

2usd35j.jpg

You got to wait till next year to get anywhere near a test drive from a dealer, there not going on sale till (spring) 2016. I'd still take the 4C and in a few years get one of these, best of both worlds as the 4C should hold its value well.

Does this have any plans of coming to the US? I hope so.

Yes 👍

I'm glad the interior looks great. The exterior is eww, so inside is where you'll want to be.

I think I'd rather have a Jaguar though.

Agreed, though it's got just enough in the details to define it as an Alfa. I suppose in many ways, it'd be foolish not to give it a hint of 3-series - the BMW is the big target, after all.

👍

Wasn't meant as a criticism in any way. 3er has always had good proportions and an excellent stance. And the more I see of this, the more I really like it. OK, it's a bit generic in its proportions - overall very 3 Series (complete with mini hofmiester kink) with an A4 rear end - but the front is bit more distinctive than the new Jag XE. I really like it. It's a bit more 'rounded than the 3 Series, which can look a bit weak at the front.

If the interior looks like the renders, and is made from quality materials, that should be a good place to sit... it's much cleaner and more minimalist than the opposition.

On the other hand, this is the top model, so the 2l diesel versions, without the body kit and on small wheels might not look quite so good.

Now I must go away and bleach myself... my one experience of owning an Alfa (a 156) was not a good one (it was the worst car I've ever owned as far as reliability is concerned), and I swore I'd never even contemplate another one.

The wagon version might change me though.

Now, all they need to do is make a lighter version with two doors and add one TLA: GTA.. or maybe GTV?

Wasn't meant as a criticism in any way. 3er has always had good proportions and an excellent stance. And the more I see of this, the more I really like it. OK, it's a bit generic in its proportions - overall very 3 Series (complete with mini hofmiester kink) with an A4 rear end - but the front is bit more distinctive than the new Jag XE. I really like it. It's a bit more 'rounded than the 3 Series, which can look a bit weak at the front.
I've become a bit jaded by the current crop of exec saloons, so I'm more enthusiastic about this Alfa. It doesn't look too similar to others in the class to my eyes, though I agree on the proportions.

Alfa's press release didn't have many details on the car, but word from the event itself is that it has a longer wheelbase than a 3-Series but a shorter body. The body behind the rear wheels certainly looks shorter.

But back to being jaded - the 3-Series is just another shape on the road for me now (I actually prefer certain versions of the old E90). The Jag XE isn't that distinctive at the front and the back end looks like an A4. The A4 is getting replaced soon (I was in Ingolstadt on Tuesday to see the new one, but I'm strictly bound by embargo on the details...) but again, it's now faded into the background. The Lexus IS is probably the most individual, and I quite like it, but still can't get on with the headlights.

The Alfa is just... attractive. Not perfect, by a long shot, but it has curves, and even the enormous heart grille is growing on me. Also, it just seems "right" on paper. Rear-drive, relatively light (no official weight figures, but at "under 3hp per kg" the Quadrifoglio works out around the 1500kg mark, or ~75-100 less than an M3), commitment to a manual 'box, long wheelbase/short body etc. I really, really hope it drives as good as it looks.
On the other hand, this is the top model, so the 2l diesel versions, without the body kit and on small wheels might not look quite so good.
That's definitely a risk, though they probably won't have the bodykit either, which makes this one look bulkier than it might.
Now I must go away and bleach myself... my one experience of owning an Alfa (a 156) was not a good one (it was the worst car I've ever owned as far as reliability is concerned), and I swore I'd never even contemplate another one.
You and I have already expressed our disagreements on this :lol: I'd absolutely own a 156, even after what happened to @GTP_Ingram's example. And much as I like this new Giulia, I'm not sure there's a car in that class over the last few decades that's been as attractive as a pre-facelift 156.

I've become a bit jaded by the current crop of exec saloons, so I'm more enthusiastic about this Alfa. It doesn't look too similar to others in the class to my eyes, though I agree on the proportions.
Thumb over the nose and it could be an XE.

My favourite car in the sector is the Q50. No idea why.

I'm impressed with how nice the greenhouse looks. The beltline doesn't really seem to actually be any lower than, say, the A4; but it looks so much more airy.

But back to being jaded - the 3-Series is just another shape on the road for me now (I actually prefer certain versions of the old E90). The Jag XE isn't that distinctive at the front and the back end looks like an A4. The A4 is getting replaced soon (I was in Ingolstadt on Tuesday to see the new one, but I'm strictly bound by embargo on the details...) but again, it's now faded into the background. The Lexus IS is probably the most individual, and I quite like it, but still can't get on with the headlights.

The Alfa is just... attractive. Not perfect, by a long shot, but it has curves, and even the enormous heart grille is growing on me. Also, it just seems "right" on paper. Rear-drive, relatively light (no official weight figures, but at "under 3hp per kg" the Quadrifoglio works out around the 1500kg mark, or ~75-100 less than an M3), commitment to a manual 'box, long wheelbase/short body etc. I really, really hope it drives as good as it looks.

The class is a bit bland...

The A4 is just wallpaper... the RS4 is OK with the flared arches, as they give it some shape, but the rest of it just bland, as are all Audis IMO.

The 3er is just such a common sight. They are so spec and colour dependent... some look really good, but the base models are ordinary at best.

The Merc C Class saloon has a really odd rear end... though the wagon is really nice.

The Jag is just bland. And too expensive.

For me, the Alfa is the nicest styled of that group.

You and I have already expressed our disagreements on this :lol: I'd absolutely own a 156, even after what happened to @GTP_Ingram's example. And much as I like this new Giulia, I'm not sure there's a car in that class over the last few decades that's been as attractive as a pre-facelift 156.

If 2 new engines, an ECU and 1 million trips to the dealers to fix the gearbox in 4 years aren't enough to put me off another Alfa, I'm not sure what is :lol:

Thumb over the nose and it could be an XE.

My favourite car in the sector is the Q50. No idea why.
It's not slab-sided enough to be the XE. Nor slab-arsed enough.

I forgot the Q50 exists. I'm not sure I've actually seen one outside of press events.
The Merc C Class saloon has a really odd rear end... though the wagon is really nice.
I forgot about the C-Class completely. Not keen on the current model - it's gone all bloaty and rounded. The previous-gen C-Class was probably my favourite car in that segment - a chiselled, handsome shape.

Makes a change from Alfa's being ugly.

This is ugly and a confused mess. Seriously, I've never understood what people see in Alfa's and I seems this one will be no different, people will get all turned on by it, and I'll have no idea why.

... should sound nice though, if nothing else.

This is ugly and a confused mess. Seriously, I've never understood what people see in Alfa's and I seems this one will be no different, people will get all turned on by it, and I'll have no idea why.

While it may not be the prettiest car in the world, I have some difficulties finding where it is "confused". For the most part, what I see is simply a Maserati Ghibli with a front-end more akin to an Alfa Romeo's, so that's hardly confusing to me. Ugly? Well, the front isn't as nice as it could be, with the rather large holes and grilles, but the rest isn't as ugly as you put it. But you are entitled to your own opinion, I just think that the design isn't as confusing as you say it is.

I'm sure if we stick a blue and white roundel on it, you'll think it looks much better.

I think the front looks a bit droopy and the rear is quite a bit nicer with hints of the Ghibli in my eyes. The QV currently looks the smartest with the big wheels and more aggressive stance.

The QV currently looks the smartest with the big wheels and more aggressive stance.

That's both a good and a bad thing at the same time; while we know that the QV's more agressive positioning looks good enough, what will happen when we go down the line? Ergo, will less-equipped versions still look good, or will they just get bland. I remember someone comparing this issue to the Jag XE's, and that person raised a good point. Will it still hold up together once one strips it of its sporty bits?

That's both a good and a bad thing at the same time; while we know that the QV's more agressive positioning looks good enough, what will happen when we go down the line? Ergo, will less-equipped versions still look good, or will they just get bland. I remember someone comparing this issue to the Jag XE's, and that person raised a good point. Will it still hold up together once one strips it of its sporty bits?

It'll likely get blander further down the range as is the case with most compact executive sedans. Really depends on colours and specs for lower down versions.

It'll likely be the price point that decides the fate of this one. It'll surely shake up the entry exec market alongside the Jaguar XE, but if they don't have a more mass-market model to shave sales off the 3/A4/C group, I'm not quite sure what it'll do.

Let's just hope Fiat gets the launch right. No stupid packages. Actual orders. Transmissions that work.

I'm glad the interior looks great. The exterior is eww, so inside is where you'll want to be.

I think I'd rather have a Jaguar though.

Really? The exterior is eww, not even a meh?

I'm biased though I think it looks badass. I also don't agree that it's a copy of a F80.

Last edited:
Let's just hope Fiat gets the launch right. No stupid packages. Actual orders. Transmissions that work.

On the other hand, if they screw things up as badly as they did with the 4C and people still seek them out, it will show how desirable they are.

:lol:

It'll likely get blander further down the range as is the case with most compact executive sedans. Really depends on colours and specs for lower down versions.

So it's a matter of pairing colors and specs wisely to make the car look nice enough, correct? I guess it's hard to avoid blandness as you strip the car of its better equipment, so one has to work around those limitations.

While it may not be the prettiest car in the world, I have some difficulties finding where it is "confused". For the most part, what I see is simply a Maserati Ghibli with a front-end more akin to an Alfa Romeo's, so that's hardly confusing to me. Ugly? Well, the front isn't as nice as it could be, with the rather large holes and grilles, but the rest isn't as ugly as you put it. But you are entitled to your own opinion, I just think that the design isn't as confusing as you say it is.

It looks like a cocktail of design elements from other cars that don't really gel.

I'm sure if we stick a blue and white roundel on it, you'll think it looks much better.

Sadly that's not the guarantee of being more handsome than the competition that it once was... :D

But yes an F80 does look better than this in my opinion!

Back