Alfa Romeo Giulia 2016

• Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 578 comments
I don't think I've ever fallen in love with an Alfa Romeo's design quite like with this new Giulia. Good grief! She's gorgeous! The last Alfa Romeo I've loved style-wise was the recent 4C. Maybe not Jaguar or Mercedes-Benz elegant, but this Giulia looks amazing.

Really? The exterior is eww, not even a meh?

I'm biased though I think it looks badass. I also don't agree that it's a copy of an F80.

It looks like a to-go box that was microwaved for too long-- all puffed out from the steam.

What is the significance of the clover like emblem within the white triangle?
This?

Alfa-Romeo-MiTo-Quadrifoglio-Verde-3.jpg

I don't know the history of it but today Quadrifoglio Verde, or Cloverleaf (literally translated it means green four leaf clover) is Alfa's sportiest trim level. Think of it as Alfa's M.

This?

Alfa-Romeo-MiTo-Quadrifoglio-Verde-3.jpg

I don't know the history of it but today Quadrifoglio Verde, or Cloverleaf (literally translated it means green four leaf clover) is Alfa's sportiest trim level. Think of it as Alfa's M.

Yeah that.

Oh I see, cool. 👍

Finally. I'm sure there's been rumours of Alfa's new RWD saloon floating around since the 159. I just hope it's good, they've certainly got the styling nailed, and on paper it looks great, especially the QV (:drool:).

My main concern is build quality. :lol: While I can't speak for the more recent models, my Dad had a 156 while I was much younger, and I have memories of trim falling off and the glovebox popping open whenever we went over a bump. And although it did never break down, and I imagine they've improved since then, Alfa's do have a perception of being unreliable, which will probably make them struggle to shift as many base model, company car spec Giulia's.

The most annoying part of new car unveilings: comparisons to other cars.
It's little different from this endlessly-reposted image of all the red, 1980s two-door fastbacks:

80scars.jpg

There are those who'd vehemently deny that most of these look pretty similar yet somehow find similarity between this Giulia and another car in its class that in the metal, looks absolutely nothing like it. Of course, few of those cars above really look identical, even though some share similar proportions. It's just easier to appreciate their differences with time.

People have been saying "all cars look the same" for decades now. The 1980s probably was worst for it, prompting this article from Car magazine in the early 90s.

Humans are hardwired to find similarities and patterns in things. Particularly new things, as people are also hardwired to be suspicious of change. Similarity is reassuring. It's why everyone freaked out when flame surfacing started taking hold at BMW, since it interrupted two or three decades of comforting evolution rather than originality.

6-speed manual and a sequential gearbox option to choose from. Good Alfa, very good!

Great looking car, although I did do a double take to make sure it wasn't a rebadged Jaguar. Is this in the same category as a Cadillac ATS-V? If so, I'll be very much looking forward to a mega test of all these mid-sized Hi-Po sedans, C63 vs M3 vs ATS-V vs Giulia (props for not being a numero-alpha name btw) etc.
It's a shame Alfa Romeos normally lack execution (8C anyone? Looked sexy, sounded sexy, read sexy, drove crap) so the proof will be in the pudding as they say. Reliability is also a concern, the dealership I work at picked up Alfa about a year ago, I'm less than impressed so far and interpreting parts for them is also a PITA!

As I expected, it looks very good, although somewhat similar than many other cars in the class, and not quite as good looking as the 159. The V6 twin turbo engine sounds good so far, though. Still not sure if I'd take one over the XE, especially when talking about the less powerful models.

I think the "face" of the car is inspired.

Just think about glimpsing in your rear-view mirror and seeing that bad boy zooming up on you, There wouldn't be a dry pair of trousers in sight! :)

Got damn this has to be the ugliest Alfa Romeo in the history of the brand. Dear god is it unfathomable.

Well there doesn't seem to be a universal consensus, now does there? :lol::P

Well, I am in fact absolutely astonished that everyone seems to love this spit in the ground. I was absolutely expecting polarizing discussion about it but everyone's raving about it. Wtf, GTPlanet?

Got damn this has to be the ugliest Alfa Romeo in the history of the brand. Dear god is it unfathomable.
I dunno, I quite like it. It's not one of Alfa's best but it's far from being one of their worst. Taking off my Alfa blinkers I find the 75 (/Milano) pretty ungainly. The Mito and Giulietta are both spoiled by their front ends, the 4C is better in proportion than it is in detail, and the 8C was also sullied by an overcooked front-end.

Then there's the Arna, which is just plain dull, and the 33 which isn't that bad but hardly a stunner in standard spec. Though I'd still happily own a 33 if my garage was large enough. And while the 1970s-1980s GTV is far from ugly, I remain to be convinced that it's anything special - the Alfasud Sprint was a much prettier take on the two-door fastback thing by Alfa.

With my designer hat on, the Giulia has neat proportions. The nose is lower than you'd expect of such a car - possibly helped by being RWD instead of having to cram all the running gear under the bonnet. The huge grille was off-putting initially but it's growing on me - paired with the slim headlights, it's massively better than the beaky nose and high-set, vertical light designs of recent Alfas. The wheels look awesome. The back end has enough links to the 159 and 156 to evoke their spirit, but it's modern too. And Alfa seems to have resisted the urge to give it too many different surfaces, which is the downfall of many cars at the moment.

So I suppose I'd have the Giulia over all of those. And while the 159 is a more cohesive design, the spec (and weight) of the Giulia is a lot more appealing.

I dunno, I quite like it. It's not one of Alfa's best but it's far from being one of their worst. Taking off my Alfa blinkers I find the 75 (/Milano) pretty ungainly. The Mito and Giulietta are both spoiled by their front ends, the 4C is better in proportion than it is in detail, and the 8C was also sullied by an overcooked front-end.

Then there's the Arna, which is just plain dull, and the 33 which isn't that bad but hardly a stunner in standard spec. Though I'd still happily own a 33 if my garage was large enough. And while the 1970s-1980s GTV is far from ugly, I remain to be convinced that it's anything special - the Alfasud Sprint was a much prettier take on the two-door fastback thing by Alfa.

So I suppose I'd have the Giulia over all of those. And while the 159 is a more cohesive design, the spec (and weight) of the Giulia is a lot more appealing.

Yeah, you know, I was exagerating, my Alfa knowledge is nowhere near complete as to say that in a serious note, but got damn this thing is ugly. It sounds like a brilliant car of course, and the noises it makes are awesome indeed, but ewwwwwwwww :crazy:

Yeah, you know, I was exagerating, my Alfa knowledge is nowhere near complete as to say that in a serious note, but got damn this thing is ugly. It sounds like a brilliant car of course, and the noises it makes are awesome indeed, but ewwwwwwwww :crazy:
Pfft :lol:

I've updated the post you quoted with a bit more detail on what I like about it, incidentally.

Back