Aston Martin Rescued By Racing Point's Lawrence Stroll, Splits With Red Bull

Congrats on writing the first article ever about Aston’s struggles without using the word that starts with “B” and ends with “exit”.

Can’t help but think this is just delaying the inevitable Chinese takeover. A few weeks ago it was rumoured Geely was in talks about buying up a stake. And if not Geely, then someone else.

To be honest, if a Chinese corporation saw value in the Borgward name, I can’t believe they haven’t more aggressively pursued some of the other historic brand names. I had to look it up, but BMW owns Triumph so they won’t be letting that go but apparently Austin was included in the MG deal so it’s owned by SAIC. I had no idea a Hispano Suiza revival has already been attempted but where’s Delahaye?

Last edited:
They seem to lack focus. :lol:

It's like they let a10 year old with ADD set the strategy.

So Red Bull Racing is just without a main sponsor now (starting in 2021) because Lawrence Stroll decided he wants it for himself and has the money to do so?

I had no idea a Hispano Suiza revival has already been attempted
Twice in fact. And twice simultaneously:

https://www.gtplanet.net/the-real-hispano-suiza/

So Red Bull Racing is just without a main sponsor now (starting in 2021) because Lawrence Stroll decided he wants it for himself and has the money to do so?
The team was Red Bull Racing until relatively recently, so it's not a major development. There's still a solid 12 months to get a replacement if need be.

Do you know if any of these ventures have had any success? I think you’re on the money, just curious if Aston has anything that shows people have invested in these concepts.

Right, but I mean there must have been talks and he just won out by outbidding Red Bull? Was there anything to stop this?
I don't think Red Bull was trying to buy Aston Martin. This wasn't a sponsorship bid, Lawrence Stroll owns part of the manufacturer now. And naturally he wouldn't want to sponsor another team.

All this means is another talentless driver will have another guaranteed F1 seat for multiple years who when in reality should have none but he does because daddy has some dollars. Pastor Maldanado part deux. This is one of the reasons I hate this sport.
All I can think of is that That clip at the end of Senna where they ask him, looking back when was he the happiest and he replies, he would have to go back to 80, 81 in go karts. He said back then there was no money ther was no politics. It’s was pure racing pure driving. That’s what racing should get back to, it won’t but it should.

I was thinking those new hypercars and their R&D would be taking up more of the budget, whereas the stuff in your post seems more like licensing. I would’ve thought that Aston Martin would make money from that sort of stuff, lending their imagery and branding to those miscellaneous items and services.

It vaguely reminds me of how the overwhelming majority of Marvel’s revenue is from licensing, such as for the MCU movies, or videogames.

Glad that Aston Martin won't confuse Honda's and Red Bull's F1 partnership after this season, and also happy to hopefully see a better name for Racing Point.

All this means is another talentless driver will have another guaranteed F1 seat for multiple years who when in reality should have none but he does because daddy has some dollars. Pastor Maldanado part deux. This is one of the reasons I hate this sport.
So you hate racing in general ? And i woulden't call lance "Talentless" he has developed quite a bit since 2017 earning his sport on the grid (Unlike some others *Cough Grosjean Cough* and he has saved an F1 team and one of the most beloved automakers.

Some interesting tidbit about the team name, courtesy of F1 website:

Traditionally, changing a team name can be difficult in F1 as it requires various approvals. However, it can be more straightforward for Racing Point given their smart choice of initial name.

Currently, they are known as Sport Pesa (their title sponsor) Racing Point, with the point represented by full stop, so it looks like Sport Pesa Racing when written. They can do the same thing with Aston Martin to become Aston Martin Racing (full stop).

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/...for-all-concerned.5rvz1aovklvfe2kYDAHX39.html

I guess it really is just Force India or whatever the 🤬 it is :lol:

I saw it coming to be honest, that ugly crossover SUV has already severely damaged them in the new facility made for it, not only did they waste hundreds of millions, but they also took a blow to their brand image with that crossover.

Say what you like, but a brand like this making a Crossover SUV is a sellout move, and its already damaged them. And it's not even released yet...

As a Brit, I love Aston Martin, it's one of the few and last things that makes me a patriot in my dwindling nation, but I hate this sellout Crossover Craze, objective opinions aside, for a luxury brand like this making its first Crossover is a collosal risk, and a leap of faith (or leap of idiocy)

I'm really not surprised.

picard_facepalm.jpg

Last edited:
I saw it coming to be honest, that ugly crossover SUV has already severely damaged them in the new facility made for it, not only did they waste hundreds of millions, but they also took a blow to their brand image with that crossover.

Say what you like, but a brand like this making a Crossover SUV is a sellout move, and its already damaged them. And it's not even released yet...

As a Brit, I love Aston Martin, it's one of the few and last things that makes me a patriot in my dwindling nation, but I hate this sellout Crossover Craze, objective opinions aside, for a luxury brand like this making its first Crossover is a collosal risk, and a leap of faith (or leap of idiocy)

I'm really not surprised.

View attachment 886697

Lamborghini
Ferrari
Porsche - obviously

I don't like it either, but I'm just saying that they're all at it (the exception would be McLaren, for the moment)

They're all at it because they're all trend-dwelling sellouts. These cars will depreciate like mad in the near future.

Trend-dwelling sellouts who made a crucial move to a market that has enabled them to keep building the other cars. :rolleyes:

Blame the market, not the makers.

Sad fact: McLarens and Aston Martins have depreciated like mad before the DBX was even announced....

They're all at it because they're all trend-dwelling sellouts. These cars will depreciate like mad in the near future.

By which point they will have made the profit from them and will have moved on to the next big thing. Some people may not like them but SUVs are huge sellers and they would be mad not to have one in their lineup.

Some people may not like them but SUVs are huge sellers and they would be mad not to have one in their lineup.

That is true, but Aston Martin are very late to the party - the market may already be saturated.

I don't know why they are borrowing at 12% rates - that rate will be difficult to service - it suggests a lack of confidence in AM by the Financiers.

I hope AM can recover - they have a very turbulent history (seven bankruptcies in the 20th Century), but somehow have kept going.

That is true, but Aston Martin are very late to the party - the market may already be saturated.

I don't know why they are borrowing at 12% rates - that rate will be difficult to service - it suggests a lack of confidence in AM by the Financiers.

I hope AM can recover - they have a very turbulent history (seven bankruptcies in the 20th Century), but somehow have kept going.
I think you’re right. One article I read said there were 8-9,000 orders for the DBX so far. It doesn’t sound like a whole lot, but then again, that may be for Aston. They said they were hoping the SUV appeals to bringing a higher female ownership percentage as well.

I believe right now, Ferrari is the only marque that come at the end of the market and still completely dominate/rejuvenate it.

Also keep in mind that the mega-luxury SUV trend is largely aimed at China, where a large vehicle with a prestigious marque, big engine and lots of gadgets and options would be in favor right now. That's where the wealth is at the moment, so that's who they're catering to.

I think you’re right. One article I read said there were 8-9,000 orders for the DBX so far. It doesn’t sound like a whole lot, but then again, that may be for Aston. They said they were hoping the SUV appeals to bringing a higher female ownership percentage as well.

I believe right now, Ferrari is the only marque that come at the end of the market and still completely dominate/rejuvenate it.
I dunno. If you calculate the price if the car by the number sold thats nearly 2 billion dollars in preorders alone.

Back