Automobilista 2 - Discussion Thread

Bought AMS2 yesterday after stumbling across the same news update @gladbecker82 posted about above. EA price is 10% off what it will be at release and to be honest there's enough content in there already even without the roadmap. 90's British & German touring cars should be great. Seeing the DLC plan for Silverstone, Hockenheim and Spa all with historic variations has me excited, and there's another two similar track packs to be announced.

Now, if one of those was Nurburgring and the historic version included the Sudschleife.... :bowdown: Well, a man can dream!

Haven't had a chance to spend much time in the game yet, just a quick Time Trial run on the pad at Oulton Park in one of the Caterhams - but that was a lovely drive, can't wait to get the wheel & headset out at the weekend and have a good play around with it!

Only dipped my toes in but had great fun driving a Caterham at Donnington and Brands Hatch last night and it felt pretty good even with a controller. AI was good and on the latest update the driving view and camera feel much better.
Wasn't happy with the previous update and honestly thought this one wasn't going to get much play time but looks like I'll be putting much more time in to this and getting plenty of enjoyment out of it.

Loving the Caterham - spent a bit more time with it at Oulton in Time Trial, in VR this time, and it's just a joy, even with the pad. Did the pCARS2 thing of turning speed sensitivity down to 75 and it's working nicely for me, based on this car alone pad handling feels good. Comfortably outside the Steam refund window now, and absolutely zero regrets on this purchase :D

Little hotlap vid, not particularly quick (I could have got a taxi to the apex at the hairpin) but fun!

Any word on possible console release down the line?
And does the edge of grip and mass balance feel better than pc2?
No console. (that anyone knows of)
It's very similar but at the same time different. Better is opinionated. Hard to say with a lot of dissimilar cars to compare. They're still changing the physics all the time so it's a wait and see. I like certain things and not others. One thing I personally don't like is on certain cars, if you apply any brake at all, you're basically going into the sand or wall. No trail braking and turn in. 99% of braking needs to be done before the turn in and that is very different from PC2 from an initial interpretation.

But still, easy to say it's Project Cars 2.5 Brasil or at least not that far off a statement. The menu's, car tuning/setup, scenery/objects all scream PC2.

One thing I personally don't like is on certain cars, if you apply any brake at all, you're basically going into the sand or wall. No trail braking and turn in. 99% of braking needs to be done before the turn in

Hmmm I don's like that at all. RF2 is not like that and I love it just for that. It's phisics are simple the best. I'm not playing AM2 since some weeks due to all the changes in physics. I prefer confront the final or almost final version.

No console. (that anyone knows of)
It's very similar but at the same time different. Better is opinionated. Hard to say with a lot of dissimilar cars to compare. They're still changing the physics all the time so it's a wait and see. I like certain things and not others. One thing I personally don't like is on certain cars, if you apply any brake at all, you're basically going into the sand or wall. No trail braking and turn in. 99% of braking needs to be done before the turn in and that is very different from PC2 from an initial interpretation.

But still, easy to say it's Project Cars 2.5 Brasil or at least not that far off a statement. The menu's, car tuning/setup, scenery/objects all scream PC2.

Its a shame there are no console plans. We know the Madness engine runs well enough on consoles. It seems a shame that this game will slip through the net for a majority of people. This would sell extremely well, they've got such a strong roster of cars and tracks, the extra income would surely elevate this into one of the greatest all time racing sims?

One thing I personally don't like is on certain cars, if you apply any brake at all, you're basically going into the sand or wall. No trail braking and turn in.

I only got the game this week and haven't had a lot of time to play around with it yet, and that limited time has been on a pad so far, but out of curiosity any particular cars? I've tried one of the Caterhams which is an absolute blast, and one of the older FWD touring car types, which did like to lock the front wheels but even that I just had to be a bit easier on the brakes.

It could just be that those cars that do have that problem haven't had their default setups properly sorted yet of course.

OK, I got some good time last night and was able to setup my FFB a LOT better than it was before. I had to read online about what the settings were but got the damping down and that supposedly gets rid of the dead weight on the wheel which is robbing some of the feel. Now you can definitely feel the edge of grip feels a bit better but really similar to PC2. Really get that weight transfer thing going when you go over small hills and elevation that was fun in PC2.

Hmmm I don's like that at all. RF2 is not like that and I love it just for that. It's phisics are simple the best. I'm not playing AM2 since some weeks due to all the changes in physics. I prefer confront the final or almost final version.
Thank God, none of the cars I tried last night did this behavior. I think it's over exaggerated on FWD cars. I didn't write down which ones were doing it but you are correct, they sure are changing a lot of stuff. I get this feeling like it's - "watch us make a game right in front of your eyes".

I only got the game this week and haven't had a lot of time to play around with it yet, and that limited time has been on a pad so far, but out of curiosity any particular cars? I've tried one of the Caterhams which is an absolute blast, and one of the older FWD touring car types, which did like to lock the front wheels but even that I just had to be a bit easier on the brakes.

It could just be that those cars that do have that problem haven't had their default setups properly sorted yet of course.
I updated so some could have been fixed but didn't go back to them. I think I did SprintRace car, MCR S2000, a couple karts for a lap or 2 and the AMC Camaro. The AMC Camaro was by far the worst of them but the others were pretty good.

I like where it's going. Supposedly the damping in controller settings works on wheels too. ? Maybe it was placebo effect but the other changes finally got this feeling right.

I'm fighting the same urge atm.

Yes because a PC is very expensive particularly compared to the SX which is looking like it might be an absolute steal for the spec. And it won't crash, have incompatibility problems etc. First world problems... :)

And it won't crash, have incompatibility problems etc. First world problems... :)
To be fair Windows 10 is very stable. My PC hardly ever crashes, it's just very rare. A far cry from the Windows 98/XP days.
And I thought it was the consoles that had incompatibility issues, unless you're talking about other stuff than steering wheels and such. :)

But yes, a high-end graphics card is ridiculously expensive these days.

WOW! - That second video that was recently posted is really great. I am currently looking at computers - just have hard time convincing myself to spend that type of cash. I think though that have enough justification, especially if consider it a 5 year minimum investment. Just the cost of the PS5 will account for a portion of the computer cost.
Several good racing games really cheap for next 7 days or so on steam.

To be fair Windows 10 is very stable. My PC hardly ever crashes, it's just very rare. A far cry from the Windows 98/XP days.
And I thought it was the consoles that had incompatibility issues, unless you're talking about other stuff than steering wheels and such. :)

But yes, a high-end graphics card is ridiculously expensive these days.

What I meant was updates & other games/software installs messing up other games. I'm no expert, the last PC I played games on was a Pentium 166mhz! but that's what one of my friends has gone through, sometimes it's taken him a couple of weeks to sort out out. That's what puts me off.

I have no issues with my gaming PC but that's just what it only is, a gaming PC. I don't do my daily routines on it or all the other computer tasks I need to accomplish for work or whatnot. It sits in my rig. And therein lies the justification of if you want, or can afford one. But how is that any different from the console? It just sits there next to the TV too. All those things that used to be cool during the PS3 days of playing movies and music through the console now our TV's and other components of the entertainment system all do the same. So it seems you're really getting consoles these days for the feature of their exclusive content alone. Obviously all the other niceties that come with the console ecosystem as well.
However the same things always arise, peripheral compatibility and lack of being able to run games made for PC at same spec. The next generation probably closes this gap even more though.

Last edited:
What I meant was updates & other games/software installs messing up other games. I'm no expert, the last PC I played games on was a Pentium 166mhz! but that's what one of my friends has gone through, sometimes it's taken him a couple of weeks to sort out out. That's what puts me off.
Granted, some Windows updates can screw certain things up, mostly applications and/or peripheral drivers. And some driver releases can mess up games. Some people have more bad luck than others and that's just down to which combination of hardware you have. So it's certainly much more unpredictable than consoles.

What I can't live without is first and foremost the mods and the ability to fickle with small things in files/settings and such. I would probably buy a PS5 the instant it is released if I could do those things there as well. :)

I was very intrigued about Automobilista 2 when I saw Reiza Studios' Official Release trailer on YouTube. This game looks very fabulous from what I've seen in that trailer. This will be Reiza Studios' chance to enhance an already solid game and turn it into a solid series.

Today was the day that I took the plunge to get a gaming PC. Have been thinking about it for quite awhile.

Have purchased PC2 ultimate addition again (had just purchased electronic copy like 2 or 3 months ago for PS4). Heck though for less then $20 can not go wrong. Can already tell graphics are better, but just ran a hand full of laps only.

Purchased AMS2 also and have spent maybe 1 hour on it. Way way to soon to make any constructive comments. My initial thoughts would probably be best to wait to see what additional content especially cars will be included. My quick thoughts would be that its kind of a watered down version of PS2 content wise. User interface and menu arrangement etc. are less appealing then PS2. From what I can tell a lot of the menus do not even have any text explaining what options do. Car set-up menu does not appear to have any text on what each setting adjust is used for. Vehicle icons in vehicle selection are more basic then PC2. Could you imagine how good a decent sim game like PC2 or AC would be with good menus and vehicle icons etc. Basically a real nice user interface, I am not talking that has to be anywhere on same level as GT or Forza series. That beside the point though as for PC2 that's all water under the bridge - since the car content, number of tracks, day/night, weather implementation is very good.

Perhaps I should purchase AC delux for PC since super cheap and tons of modifications.

Maybe RFACTOR2 since still really cheap currently and supposed to have some of the best physics and perhaps the most user mods.

Will post more over next few days.

The many videos of AMS2 tell me that there is lots of goodness to be found.

I would say that if you been like me wanting to switch to PC but struggling to decide if its the right decision. Right now you could get purchase 4 or 5 racing games on steam for $100 or less. That kind of gave me a push, along with 5 days off work. With not a lot to do with COVID still impacting most activities.

Today was the day that I took the plunge to get a gaming PC. Have been thinking about it for quite awhile.

Have purchased PC2 ultimate addition again (had just purchased electronic copy like 2 or 3 months ago for PS4). Heck though for less then $20 can not go wrong. Can already tell graphics are better, but just ran a hand full of laps only.

Purchased AMS2 also and have spent maybe 1 hour on it. Way way to soon to make any constructive comments. My initial thoughts would probably be best to wait to see what additional content especially cars will be included. My quick thoughts would be that its kind of a watered down version of PS2 content wise. User interface and menu arrangement etc. are less appealing then PS2. From what I can tell a lot of the menus do not even have any text explaining what options do. Car set-up menu does not appear to have any text on what each setting adjust is used for. Vehicle icons in vehicle selection are more basic then PC2. Could you imagine how good a decent sim game like PC2 or AC would be with good menus and vehicle icons etc. Basically a real nice user interface, I am not talking that has to be anywhere on same level as GT or Forza series. That beside the point though as for PC2 that's all water under the bridge - since the car content, number of tracks, day/night, weather implementation is very good.

Perhaps I should purchase AC delux for PC since super cheap and tons of modifications.

Maybe RFACTOR2 since still really cheap currently and supposed to have some of the best physics and perhaps the most user mods.

Will post more over next few days.

The many videos of AMS2 tell me that there is lots of goodness to be found.

I would say that if you been like me wanting to switch to PC but struggling to decide if its the right decision. Right now you could get purchase 4 or 5 racing games on steam for $100 or less. That kind of gave me a push, along with 5 days off work. With not a lot to do with COVID still impacting most activities.

Looking forward to hearing more from you. I'm in the same boat. Built my PC in April and been messing around with PC2, AC, ACC and a bit of RaceRoom since then. Today I bought AMS2 and RF2, though haven't loaded them up yet. Like you, I'm off the next few days to dive in and mess around with them.

And yeah, these titles REALLY need UI overhauls.. all of them. It's almost a barrier to entry, especially coming from console.

Finally the official release 1.0! Hurray!
Very excited to take time to slowly truly enjoy all the new content just arrived (some of the content from early access I still have touched haha)

For now, my absolute favorite is the Formula Retro's 3 official licenesed formulas.

Thanks DC Wolf's skin, it even adds to the coolness while driving and watching the replay
https://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/formula-retro-pack.34136/

Looking forward to hearing more from you. I'm in the same boat. Built my PC in April and been messing around with PC2, AC, ACC and a bit of RaceRoom since then. Today I bought AMS2 and RF2, though haven't loaded them up yet. Like you, I'm off the next few days to dive in and mess around with them.

And yeah, these titles REALLY need UI overhauls.. all of them. It's almost a barrier to entry, especially coming from console.

Will do....regarding follow up post.

I have also thought about race room. I think can start to get kind of pricey with add on content. Same with rfactor2, new official add on content seems pricey. Perhaps there is a general forum to talk about sim racing in general without necessarily focusing completely on one game or another?

Hello buddies, some silly questions need your advice : )
  • How do I record replay?
  • Where/How to set the replay longer than 2 mins?
  • How to I config shifter for sequential gear box (Fanatec CSL elite)?
Thank you in advance for you help!

Perhaps there is a general forum to talk about sim racing in general without necessarily focusing completely on one game or another?
I think you're on it. ;) I find GTplanet to be more grown up and unbiased than most other forums out there. There's also Race Department and Bsimracing for example.
Hello buddies, some silly questions need your advice : )
  • How do I record replay?
  • Where/How to set the replay longer than 2 mins?
  • How to I config shifter for sequential gear box (Fanatec CSL elite)?
Thank you in advance for you help!
I've barely scratched the surface myself, I can only give a general hint about peripherals like wheels and such. You have to first assign buttons/functions to the wheels/pedals/shifters before you can configure them. Found that out yesterday when trying to calibrate my CSP V3 pedals.
So try that for your shifter. First edit assignments and then configure/calibrate.

Back