Automobilista 2 - Discussion Thread

Thanks, will try those cars out. I hear FFB is great, but I have so low due to a injury that I cannot enjoy much. Are the default settings okay for DD wheel? I know there is Default, Default+, custom, etc. Sounds convoluted.

As another Madness engine fan I agree with all the major points of the review @Scaff. I've been a console player exclusively until this year so my experience with PC1 and 2 was coloured by the wonky ffb implementation those games suffered most from, but when everything was working it could be a transcendental experience for someone going from 'just' racing games to more complex simulators (I think the weather effects and lighting in GT7 when everything else is working well too also achieves a similar effect, it's truly amazing seeing the atmospheric changes when driving). The complex tyre model was perhaps too complex for my skill and knowledge base when I first came to those games but what I learned subsequently and then on ACC actually meant that when I returned to those titles I was far more prepared to tackle the tyres and get the cars running better. I reinstalled PC2 on the PS5 the other week after your paean to it post- the delisting news and with my current knowledge I was able to have a great time throwing the GTE cars round Long Beach.

AMS2 since the first time I played it back in late January/early February has been what I wanted from PC. It's a serious simulator but it's serious fun too. The FFB is superb. The cars feel alive and have controllable and believable amounts of slip so lots of smaller mistakes are recoverable. The car list is very good although understandably it's not as good as PC1/2... those were maybe the best car collections in any serious racing game... ever. The track list is wonderful, has nearly all the usual suspects and then the South American tracks available are so much fun and gives AMS2 that quirky something special to it.

Whilst I still do most of my online racing on the console I can see myself putting more time into AMS2 as things keep progressing. I do think it might be the best all-round driving simulator on the market at the moment.

EDIT: One additional item of interest too. I run the game on a gaming laptop that is then plugged into my tv so I play it the same way I play the PS5 with my rig plonked infront of the TV. I can run AMS2 at 60fps and 4K without it dropping a beat, and with the well organised and easy to navigate UI, it feels like a well-put together console game, and that's high praise given some of the more complicated methods other PC sims require to get a tune out of them.

Last edited:
I don't even think you mentioned full course yellows in that video as well. Had my first experience with those and it seemed to work appropriately. Didn't see which AI caused it but the rest of the AI fell in line. With a safety car coming, will be a nice addition to immersion.

I don't even think you mentioned full course yellows in that video as well. Had my first experience with those and it seemed to work appropriately. Didn't see which AI caused it but the rest of the AI fell in line. With a safety car coming, will be a nice addition to immersion.
In single player it's worked well whenever it's happened for me, but it's a nightmare online at least in public lobbies where there's psychos at every corner!!

I did try out out some other cars. I mostly noticed similar feel, but getting used to it it feels less weird at least. The FFB does have something unique though that makes it better, at least in some ways.

Something I don't like is the fragility of the cars. Any I tried so easy to suffer severe damage significantly more than other sims. Even wall brushes have done it. Current F1 car even worse. I'm pretty sure the wall head-butted my car as I drove by it one time breaking the suspension.

Their scale for damage seems on the severe side but low is a good comprise. I usually keep it on medium but if it's a bump and grind track, maybe say Azure, I go to low so I can at least think about finishing out a race. Get's you in the groove to not make contact though. :)

Tried the 88/89 spec F1 cars at Jacarepagua this weekend, at 100 AI strength was able to put the NA V8 car on pole by a good 8 tenths, but then race day the AI is much quicker... Their behaviour is much better though. Maybe it's just that I need to work on my race pace and strategy, or that the turbo cars are just better in race conditions.

EDIT: just to add - the car was absolutely fantastic to drive again. Everything has gone up a level. Loving this game.

Last edited:
My thoughts on V1.4

Good timing on the review I've been looking at this sim in the last few days and didn't realise there was a thread here at GTP so thanks for that.

Just a couple of questions if you don't mind, apologies if I missed it in the review.

I primarily play ACC and AC and only race against the AI as I don't have the time to commit to online racing. AC I find lacking in ai racing as often I find it needs to be tweaked a bit so I mostly use AC just for fun hot lapping trying different cars and tracks etc.

Pretty much all my ai racing is in ACC and I enjoy it, also find the physics fine there as the cars feel natural to control to me. ACC is obviously lacking in varieties of car catagories.

So, have you done much ai racing in AMS2 and if so how do you find it?

Would you consider this to be a full price purchase or wait for a Steam sale?

I'll take your thoughts on the physics in the sense I would be happy there and graphically (though not the most important factor) by you mentioning it runs pretty well on a variety of systems I assume I'd be fine on an i7 12700k with a 3070 card?

Thanks again for the review and subscribed. 👍

Good timing on the review I've been looking at this sim in the last few days and didn't realise there was a thread here at GTP so thanks for that.

Just a couple of questions if you don't mind, apologies if I missed it in the review.

I primarily play ACC and AC and only race against the AI as I don't have the time to commit to online racing. AC I find lacking in ai racing as often I find it needs to be tweaked a bit so I mostly use AC just for fun hot lapping trying different cars and tracks etc.

Pretty much all my ai racing is in ACC and I enjoy it, also find the physics fine there as the cars feel natural to control to me. ACC is obviously lacking in varieties of car catagories.

I'll take your thoughts on the physics in the sense I would be happy there and graphically (though not the most important factor) by you mentioning it runs pretty well on a variety of systems I assume I'd be fine on an i7 12700k with a 3070 card?

I'm not a Scaff but I can put in an opinion. Yes the AI is wonderful and well worth it. I've had some of my best AI races in AMS2. They're still calibrating them with each update too. The AI mistakes are really cool keeps it from getting monotonous. In ACC, I've followed the same car for 15 laps. Just right behind him. Couldn't make anymore time and while that's pretty realistic, I would have liked to have seen him taking a corner a bit deep or too much curb or something giving me a chance. ACC AI are still good though.

Wait for a sale if you've waited this long. AMS2 is really good though. It's the goto if you have a little bit of extra time and just want to have an AI race for me.

Thanks, I pretty much only race against the AI and find the AI in AMS2 to be pretty damn good, your setup will also run it without issue, as AMS2 is actually really well optimised (far better in that regard than ACC).

It can honestly be a bit expensive for everything at full price, but I went down that route as its a small team and they deserve the support in my view. It's also solid value in my opinion, as they have a habit of adding new content to older DLC, the addition of the 2022 Spa layout as a freebie to everyone that had the Spa DLC is an example.

As a package I just don't think it can be beaten right now, even more so if you run VR.

but I can put in an opinion
Of course you can and your thoughts are appreciated. 👍
It can honestly be a bit expensive for everything at full price, but I went down that route as its a small team and they deserve the support in my view
I just had a look on Steam and there is a demo available for which I think is just for a VW Cup.
I'll start with that and see how I go from there.

Of course you can and your thoughts are appreciated. 👍

I just had a look on Steam and there is a demo available for which I think is just for a VW Cup.
I'll start with that and see how I go from there.
Please don't judge the game from the demo. I have no clue if that has 1.4's update included within the demo. I haven't heard one way or another from the forums at Reiza. You can see the pretty graphics but if those VW's have the old physics, they may be less than stellar.

EDIT:
Funny, I open fecebook and this was the first post that was on my feed right now. LOL
1662767409847.png

Last edited:
Please don't judge the game from the demo. I have no clue if that has 1.4's update included within the demo. I haven't heard one way or another from the forums at Reiza. You can see the pretty graphics but if those VW's have the old physics, they may be less than stellar.
I won't be no, I've had a quick look just to see how it runs and after maxing out every setting I could find my GPU was running at around 70% so all good there.
FWD road cars aren't really my thing but the demo showed me enough that I will more than likely go ahead and purchase it.

I have a CSL DD Pro now, and boy is it lively on AMS2!!! I started on the recommended strength but I think it's a bit too strong when going over kerbs still so I've dialled it back a little bit.

Issue I'm having though is now with my F1 esports rim on the base, I can't use the buttons and sticks on the wheel itself to navigate the menus like I could when it was on the CSL Elite... anyone know how to get that back?

How do you launch VR with this sim ? Thought I’d give it a go to see how it compares to my crack addictive Flight Sim but the option for virtual reality is greyed out..I’m on Quest 2 if that helps

How do you launch VR with this sim ? Thought I’d give it a go to see how it compares to my crack addictive Flight Sim but the option for virtual reality is greyed out..I’m on Quest 2 if that helps
If the VR options are greyed out you might need to install SteamVR (just search for it in the Steam store). Assuming that's the issue, when you choose the VR option make sure to launch it in SteamVR mode, not Oculus VR - for me at least, Oculus VR mode these days is pretty terrible in games that are on Steam.

If the VR options are greyed out you might need to install SteamVR (just search for it in the Steam store). Assuming that's the issue, when you choose the VR option make sure to launch it in SteamVR mode, not Oculus VR - for me at least, Oculus VR mode these days is pretty terrible in games that are on Steam.
Ahh, I’m thinking that I have my headset pointed to OpenXr as opposed to SteamVr as my runtime as I fly Microsoft Flight Simulator in VR, really can’t be bothered switching around all the time but I have to say I’ve been playing this a bit more these last few days and it is very good indeed in normal pancake mode, only using a controller as my my sim rig set up with wheel and pedals is sadly sitting idle and gathering dust in another room since I switched to PC for MSFS..but this game I play with settings all maxed to Ultra and it looks and runs fantastically well on my system, I’ll leave the VR to my flight simming

Raced several hours this weekend along with trial laps. Feels so good even with just T-150 wheel.

I expect will treat myself to the top tier expansion pack in a few weeks.

So glad that I decided to purchase a sim gaming lap top in July 2020. Really was this game that influenced my decision. Except at that time was not near as good as now. The sim aspect and the feed back through the wheel is very good. The track selection and car selection is decent. The A.I. is good and graphics is good. The user interface is okay. I would like replay menu fixed/improved and I do not want watching icon turned on as default. I would like replay options to be more like watching race on tv. Have game cycle through groups of cars every 30 seconds or something like that.

Liveries for most cars in AMS2 is not that great. If somehow all cars and tracks from PS2 could be ported over. Would be an amazing game.

Sooner or (most likely) later, I'm sure most PC2 cars will be added to AMS2. Now that the 1.4 physics have come to a point where they shouldn't change so drastically anymore, the modders will have an easier time adding cars that Reiza won't add themselves.
Tracks are not as easy. Somewhat doable though.

Liveries for most cars in AMS2 is not that great.
The game does support custom liveries and they’re fairly easy to install as well, just drag and drop the files into the appropriate folders. I’ve gotten all mine off RaceDepartment and most of the ones based on real liveries have the drivers as well.

The game does support custom liveries and they’re fairly easy to install as well, just drag and drop the files into the appropriate folders. I’ve gotten all mine off RaceDepartment and most of the ones based on real liveries have the drivers as well.

I am aware that there are car mods/liveries out there. Just have not taken the time to download and try to get some working. Will probably give it a try in the next month or two over holidays/vacation.

I believe currently have the game visually and perfomance wise the best that I have ever had it at. Now its time to really focus on good racing.
With challening settings, but yet at a level where should be able to win. If keep car on track and close enough to car in front to be able to duck imside and or get a run commimg out of the turn.
It is good times to race lap after lap and maybe only pass 1 or 2 cars per lap.

Back