Codemasters - Grid 2 - 2013

• Thread starter tribolik
  • 2,229 comments
tribolik
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tl751qc6HvI">YouTube Link</a>

It is confirmed Grid 2 is coming... skip to 6:40

It just says stay tuned. Maybe they mean that they will announce there will be no Grid 2 and they are just fooling us...

Of course I'm probably wrong and hope I am.

Though they do say "where Grid 2 stuff is going on".

It is confirmed to be showed probably this E3 and with a release date in 2013... at least thats what I saw in another video on TeamVVV youtube.

I hope they use a new engine. The old one sued in DIRT and GRID whilst fun, was a little unrealistic. But if they keep the crazy damage system, that'll be good.

They will probably use the one they are using on this years F1 game (2012) and used on Dirt 3 (2011), F1 2011 (2011) and DiRT: Showdown (2012) the EGO 2.0
With the current consoles coming to the end of their life span I dont think it would pay off for them to develop a new engine TBH.

I love how they make their studios out to look really nice.

Working for them is a different story.

I hope they use a new engine. The old one sued in DIRT and GRID whilst fun, was a little unrealistic. But if they keep the crazy damage system, that'll be good.

Maybe unrealistic, but a hell-of-a-lot more fun than GT5... I liked the arcade physics of Grid, even though it favored people not using a wheel, it was soo crazy.

I played Grid to the very end, I think. One day it was just - gone. And there was still a lot of online activity when they shut it down on the PS3. More than 21 days of online time spent on Grid... yikes, I remember that. Could even be more and I wasn't even in the top 1000 when it stopped, though i peaked at rank 91 at some time. Had a long break from it.

Do you or did you work for them?

I don't and never have but a lot of friends and someone close to me used to.
It's not that they treat their employees badly but they are very aware that some people might want to leave for other companies and they don't like that one bit.

Yeah, not the best company ever indeed.
We'll see how the game will be, GRID was a massive disappointment for me.

bombe32
I played Grid to the very end, I think. One day it was just - gone. And there was still a lot of online activity when they shut it down on the PS3. More than 21 days of online time spent on Grid... yikes, I remember that. Could even be more and I wasn't even in the top 1000 when it stopped, though i peaked at rank 91 at some time. Had a long break from it.

Grid was fun online, that is when you weren't plowed into the first corner. I wish that there was some way to prevent that, other than turning collisions off. See, the thing is, I don't mind a wreck if it was a legitimate accident, actually I love it, but when the people who suck start to troll that's not fun.

Lovely news I enjoyed Grid very much even though it lacked realistic physics.
Looking forward to Grid 2

If they really are making Grid 2, then that is good news. 👍 It would be nice if Codies could get the BTCC license for Grid 2 and implement more touring cars, I was dissapointed with the lack of touring cars in Grid 1.

dhandes
Never played GRID. What was it a combination of?

Dirt's engine mixed with NFS Shift. It's enjoyable, not amazing, but every time I think about it I get confused between it and Shift as they're very similar. I think it's Grid that has destruction derby style races and a sort of team management thing, Touge races and some pretty cool non-linear drift events, not unlike Dirt 3's gymkhana events except you only get points for drifting.

Dirt's engine mixed with NFS Shift. It's enjoyable, not amazing, but every time I think about it I get confused between it and Shift as they're very similar. I think it's Grid that has destruction derby style races and a sort of team management thing, Touge races and some pretty cool non-linear drift events, not unlike Dirt 3's gymkhana events except you only get points for drifting.

More towards Shift then GT5 then.👍 Which isn't necessarily a bad thing, providing it is done right and you know what your letting yourself in for.

Although I enjoyed grid I wish they made a sequel to the TOCA games and not an arcade racer.

Never played GRID. What was it a combination of?

Great graphics, nice cars and tracks, cool career mode (besides running on your own you would eventually manage a team with you and a AI driver and gain sponsorships, costumize your cars with liverys)
IMO the best damage modeling in consoles to date... but the downside was the physics... even worst and more arcade than Shift. IMO worst than TDU2

But overall a very good game (won a Bafta that year)

tribolik
Great graphics, nice cars and tracks, cool career mode (besides running on your own you would eventually manage a team with you and a AI driver and gain sponsorships, costumize your cars with liverys)
IMO the best damage modeling in consoles to date... but the downside was the physics... even worst and more arcade than Shift. IMO worst than TDU2

But overall a very good game (won a Bafta that year)

This. Very well made game let down by the arcade physics model. And of course that sepia filter Codies used to use.

I played Grid just for the team management thing, with sponsors and a straight forward livery editor. That feature was awesome. But next time decent physics and decent FFB support are mandatory.

hywelkidd
This. Very well made game let down by the arcade physics model. And of course that sepia filter Codies used to use.

I didn't mind the physics. Of course, I had never really played a similar or semi-sim game up to that point, so I knew no difference. But I still enjoy them. They gave the game a light mood. It was fun, like a game should be. And at least I could control the car in it, unlike Shift and Shift 2.

People can get a bit dillusional with regards to physics, not every game needs to be pinpojnt accurate and real.

Personally, I don't mind simcade physics, I like them in the DiRT games, but the physics in GRID felt strange to me and I wanted a sim at least on the level of the ToCA/older Racedriver series. Not to mention that I hate the extreme overdone Codemasters trademark HDR.

Back