Codemasters - Grid 2 - 2013

• Thread starter tribolik
  • 2,229 comments
Recently, I bought GRID and GRID 2. I must say that I was pretty drawn into the story quite a bit to GRID 2. My debut to the GRID series is a very interesting one. Through most of the races- especially in the cities, I almost want to imagine this being much better than the crop of Need for Speed games (even including the SHIFT titles). There is so much to digest and enjoy with the gritty style of racing this game has to offer. I must say I'm quite impressed with this title.

Progressing through GRID 2, I made it to the European stages. I recently cleared the Eliminacion events and haven't yet started the Euro Rand events. The car I'm currently enjoying is the Volkswagen Golf R. Its 4WD and powerful acceleration and horsepower make it fun to drive. Almost rally car-like. The game is insane in that you get focused on ESPN SportsCenter and even have forum threads in your honor in GRID 2. The last time I remember having some fictional online realm was in Tokyo Xtreme Racer Drift 2 (or Kaido Battle 3).

While I do wish there was a better motorsports presence in GRID 2 as opposed to in GRID 1, I kind of like GRID 2 a bit more than the first title. Not by much, though. A lot of people didn't like the second GRID as opposed to the first. I am enjoying GRID 2 so far and haven't had too many issues with this title.

Only thing I didn't like all that much was the obsessive journey of attaining view counts and what not in career mode. While I liked the ESPN Sportscenter aspect (that's the closest any console racing game as of late has gotten to making you feel like you are there since NASCAR thunder 2002), it just feels forced.

Yeah, but I think for the way the game is paced in the Career Mode, it is rather fitting. It seems more about trying to grow and develop a rogue racing league than trying to establish yourself as a racing superstar. I kind of want to think of GRID 2 as an improved and much less buggy "SHIFT Unleashed 2." Only this game doesn't have any proper race cars if at all... or none that I know of as of my experience so far.

Yeah, but I think for the way the game is paced in the Career Mode, it is rather fitting. It seems more about trying to grow and develop a rogue racing league than trying to establish yourself as a racing superstar. I kind of want to think of GRID 2 as an improved and much less buggy "SHIFT Unleashed 2." Only this game doesn't have any proper race cars if at all... or none that I know of as of my experience so far.
The old Chevy and BMW WTCC cars, the Volvo and GC-Automobile BTCS cars, some modern GT3s. And if you buy the DLC, some Formula D/D1 GP cars, the Dallara IndyCar and some Time Attack cars.

I finally figured out how to get colored wheels. I figured some wheels would probably be better colored or possibly be colored. So what I did was pick a different set of wheels and noted I could color them. I then went ahead and picked out a certain set of wheels and also color them. It is now saved as my main livery template for all cars.

My progress so far in GRID 2 now has me getting ready for the final race of the 2nd Season of World Series Racing. The last race I ran was the final Eliminator race at Barcelona High Street. I won despite having a screwed up car. If it's one thing I dislike about GRID, it is the inconsistency of what qualifies as a crash leading to terminal damage. Some simple impacts aren't hard enough to warrant damage being considered terminal. Having played ToCA Race Driver games, it can be fairly easy for some impacts to be terminal. Some of the crashes I took that seemed terminal in nature didn't really seem all that terminal. I just disagree with some of the impacts being considered terminal when they don't look all that serious.

One other thing I tried to do was sample a YouTube capture. Basically, I'll need to get a better capture card. I already have one that mostly does 640x480 captures. But with this fancier computer of mine, I would have to find one capable of 720p or so if I want to make online videos. The reason why I entertained the idea of YouTube is because I got the "Flawless Victory" Trophy doing the Overtake event with the modern Ford Mustang around one of the Cote D'Azur courses. I couldn't capture all of it. So then I tried to do it again by re-doing the Faceoff events from WSR Season 1 in Chicago. Same- couldn't capture the entire run, despite having a 53-second race. So I abandoned any and all interest in using the in-game YouTube feature.

Still enjoying the experience. I am about set to try to complete WSR Season 2 by doing that Flat Fiddy (or however you spell it) events to move up the WSR ladder.

I decided to give GRID 2 a try again after having done some extra racing in the first GRID. I am now doing Season Three in trying to bring the WSR to the Asia-Pacific. The one thing I hated early on was stumbling a bit early using a BMW M3 at the Orra Quay course in Dubai. I still managed to win the event in my first try trying to play around with the Dubai VIP crew.

Other courses I took on were Hong Kong in togue with the Kowloon Dragons and that Okutama drift course with the Haruna Kyojin. I remember I once tried to run one of the Hong Kong courses in an NSX... bad idea. I crashed really hard and failed to keep pace with everybody else in a race. I almost felt like I'd rather do Hong Kong in Gran Turismo 4 than the point-to-point Hong Kong in GRID 2! I still like the experience so far for me in GRID 2.

[UPDATE] Haruna KYOJIN, not "Haruna Dragons" as previously typed.

Could Grid 2 be a Contender for most boring racing game of the last decade? Lack of tracks and bland gameplay makes the 29+ hour campaign feel like 50 hours.

Back