Course Maker: how big is it and when can we expect it?

• Thread starter kogunenjou
  • 519 comments
I really do wondering, why is the capacity of the ps3 in combination with Gt6 such a problem? Isn't it possible to make the Track-editor/creator a 'game' on it's own?

Just a small amount of options. Tweaking your track with more or less trees, road size/width, elevation changes, scenery and at least a test-option where you can drive the track on & offline with your PSN friends. I always had the question why there's an 'favourite' garage (I don't use it), but here it could be a nice feature to import your favourites garage for testing new tracks in the GT6 Course Creator (or any name they would give it).

When you finally done with editting, then you export the track to gt6 & his servers. Each psn-member has an ammount of storage and with about 5 to 15 tracks (?) in storage, you should have to delete some tracks before creating new ones. This could help the quality of good tracks and deleting the poor and bad tracks.

I really do wondering, why is the capacity of the ps3 in combination with Gt6 such a problem? Isn't it possible to make the Track-editor/creator a 'game' on it's own?

Just a small amount of options. Tweaking your track with more or less trees, road size/width, elevation changes, scenery and at least a test-option where you can drive the track on & offline with your PSN friends. I always had the question why there's an 'favourite' garage (I don't use it), but here it could be a nice feature to import your favourites garage for testing new tracks in the GT6 Course Creator (or any name they would give it).

When you finally done with editting, then you export the track to gt6 & his servers. Each psn-member has an ammount of storage and with about 5 to 15 tracks (?) in storage, you should have to delete some tracks before creating new ones. This could help the quality of good tracks and deleting the poor and bad tracks.
I'd say it's more to do with the way the game has traditionally been built around "normal", closed circuits, and in particular to do with the computational loads for rendering (in-game) those normal (pre-made) circuits and how that differs from rendering procedurally made circuits and / or open environments.

That is actually quite a big shift for PD; it completely puts them out of their depth in terms of how much graphics to balance with how much physics, AI, animation, weather simulation, sound (!) etc. because they have no prior experience (unlike they do with closed circuits).

Having lots of RAM is always handy when there's lots of stuff happening in the game, because you can compromise far less.

I'm suddenly getting the feeling that we will get the course creator, I will spend several hours designing some radtastic race course with all kinds of awesomeness and when I try to render it my PS3 will take 12 hours and then right before it's done it will burn up in a blaze of glory with the smoke swirling up and spelling out "Sorry buddy, my hardware is just too old for this kinda thing anymore."

If it's taking them this long to release the course maker it better be able to do everything we can think of plus more. This is ridiculous.

I just fear it crashing and burning because rendering a giant 10x10 km area of HD terrain is no small feat and the PS3 already seems to have issues with Bathurst.

If it's taking them this long to release the course maker it better be able to do everything we can think of plus more. This is ridiculous.

I just fear it crashing and burning because rendering a giant 10x10 km area of HD terrain is no small feat and the PS3 already seems to have issues with Bathurst.
Ah, but Bathurst is one of the few locations in the game that has an extended, modeled and textured terrain area, rather than the more usual "tunnel and background" method.

I bet Griffith is on the mark. Terronium-12 let out in the Course Maker thread that Zahara really was going to be released in February or March, but had to be axed. A few of us speculated that it must have run okay on their dev kits but choked on the PS3 itself. Or wouldn't work online well, or at all. Possibly, the CM itself just wasn't ready. But with the vast expanse of visible terrain in Zahara, I bet this is giving PD troubles. It looks like much of Bathurst would fit in the lake, from the view of the video.

Which I have to peek at one more time before I fire up GT6. :D

It can't be too much longer. PD can cull back stuff till it works, but whittling down assets until the PS3 will run it without having a seizure is probably a tedious process. It may be like what Guerilla Games went through to make Killzone look as good as their E3 teaser. And PD wants Zahara to look as magnifique as their video teaser.

I am surprised that this thread is not on fire speculating about how it could be in the next update. Especially since there is 2 x 2 hour maintenance windows just 22 hours apart.

I live in southern West Virginia, right in the middle of Appalachia. The GPS feature was MADE for this area. The road to my old high school is practically the Nurburgring with more elevation.

Where are you? I'd hate to duplicate efforts!

I live in the upper NE part of NC. The mountain road I mentioned is near Black Mountain, NC and the road is NC hwy old # 10 and it is also like the Ring with more 180 degree turns and higher elevations.

i can't wait to see what can happen if the next update is not finally bringing that feature

i can't wait to see what can happen if the next update is not finally bringing that feature

Oh it won't, it was in beta a few months ago so give it another few years.

He coulda gave us the beta to begin with, employ his fanbase as beta testers and get it finished 10x quicker.

But no, people would probably complain about that too.

Sick of waiting...

:grumpy:

I really think that we will be getting the course maker this holiday season (November). I mean isn't that when PD normally releases the DLC's and big updates?

Sad, but true. If community and course creator aren't out by December..... Oh, my..... I think I'll be looking for a grill to put over the flames. Might as well do SOMETHING useful with the heat! ;)

He coulda gave us the beta to begin with, employ his fanbase as beta testers and get it finished 10x quicker.
Err... not me, not unless it proved to be crash resistant. Enough people have complained about GT5 and 6 being crashy - me with GT5 after a few updates. I really don't need that, already had GT6 hang on me once. I'd love to see it too, but give it to me when it's more or less bug free.

Err... not me, not unless it proved to be crash resistant. Enough people have complained about GT5 and 6 being crashy - me with GT5 after a few updates. I really don't need that, already had GT6 hang on me once. I'd love to see it too, but give it to me when it's more or less bug free.

True, it should be smooth and well done..

It's pretty much a beta game anyway, rather have something than nothing, the rest of the content isn't bug free is it?

Also, if you want it to be completely bug free we'll be waiting a long, long time.

I don't know about you guys but I would be willing to pay for the app/ Course Maker even tho we were suppose to have it with the game at launch (so long as it's bug free)

FYI, Beta means external testing, since we haven't heard anything at all from the external community, you can be almost sure the PDI's interpretation of "beta" is wink-and-a-nod liberal, ie, it probably didn't head into development until this year, after release, and when Yamauchi said "Beta" it meant an internal beta, ie, "Alpha"..

And no, I already paid for it. 10 months ago on Nov 25,2013, when I handed the cashier money for my copy of GT6.

I would not be surprised if PD release course make in the first year after the official release of GT6 , December 6, 2014

Back