Crash Bandicoot Discussion - (It's About Time 10/2 Release)

• Thread starter GTvsForza
  • 383 comments
I think they did it just to annoy us - they can even kill you when you are on the ropes if you are not on them perfectly...

edit: I just got the sapphire relic on Road To Nowhere - 1.06:13... but still almost 3 seconds off a gold relic!!

Last edited:
I think I have officially proved my theory that it is better to step away from a hard level and try again the next day rather than hammering on in the hope that 'you've played for so long so you may as well keep playing...' - I tried for nigh on 2 hours to complete 'Fumbling In The Dark' in time trial mode but failed, eventually giving up when the battery on my controller went dead. I was agonisingly close on several occasions, but just couldn't string together a good run.

But I came back to it tonight first thing after work, and it took me just 5 minutes (:rolleyes:) - I made a stupid mistake on my first attempt, but nearly finished on my second attempt, before actually completing it (and getting the gold relic) on my third attempt. I reckon not having had any beer and just being alot sharper and less agitated made a huge difference - I was on the verge of destroying my PS4 controller last night, and yet it was so quick to finish this evening that I can hardly believe it. I hope my neighbours had their windows shut too, otherwise they must think I have severe Tourette's syndrome. That said, I lost the Aku Aku mask twice in the process of completing the level, and probably owe my success to the sheer number of previous attempts that allowed me to somehow complete those sections in total darkness.

I now have 20/26 relics, albeit 6 of them still only sapphire, and I am still not convinced that I have enough skill/patience/time to get the platinum trophy, but it seems too close now to give up now.. (which is ironic, since that would mean ignoring the advice I've just given at the start of the post)... the problem is, if I take a break from the game it could well be another 20 years before it ever gets attempted again.

Last edited:
Straw poll - how many people agree with the assessment that the N. Sane Trilogy is harder than the original game(s)?

I fired up the original Crash Bandicoot last night and was quickly reminded of just how clunky (albeit great at the time) the controls are... I was having a very hard time re-adjusting to the old controls - not least since you cannot use the analogue sticks, which are super-handy for numerous levels on the PS4 version. But even some of the basic game physics are trickier to control in the original, such as bouncy jump boxes, which I don't remember being so damn hard. Native Fortress on the PS4 is a bugger, but it pales in comparison to the original which nearly made me tear my hair out (if I had any to tear out anyway).

I reckon the original game is substantially harder on a number of levels (figuratively and literally) since a) you only get one shot at the bonus levels, b) you need to get 'Perfect' runs in order to get white gems (all boxes and no deaths) and c) the sketchiness of the controls... it's only now with the 'remastered' controls that one can make a proper comparison - I would have told you the controls in the original game were sharp and precise until very recently, but only now that I've gone back to the original it is quite astonishing how hard it feels to play. Even some levels that should be a walk in the park (like Up The Creek) I found decidedly tricky - and as for getting the clear gem on the very first level in the game, now that did make me rage quit...

So, if you have a chance, fire up the original game and see how much harder it suddenly feels...

Straw poll - how many people agree with the assessment that the N. Sane Trilogy is harder than the original game(s)?
I played the original and the PS4 version of Crash 1 side-by-side recently and I think the controls of the original are far easier than the PS4 version, but the original game overall is harder. The original game's physics or controls were more precise, making it a sort of grid system when you jump, so it was easier to predict how Crash was going to handle when jumping, whereas in the PS4 version he is more fluid, making it unpredictable and touchy. I tested it on The High Road... I beat it in 3 attempts in the original (the turtle jumps are far easier in the original), while it took me over 30 attempts in the PS4 version of the same level. My skill level aside, that's a big difference.

But I agree with you, that the original is harder simply because to obtain the gems on some stages required a single attempt at the bonus stages. I can't even imagine the pressure of perfecting Slippery Climb in the original having only one shot at the bonus or having to restart the entire stage just to get second attempts at a bonus.

I fired up the original Crash Bandicoot last night and was quickly reminded of just how clunky (albeit great at the time) the controls are... I was having a very hard time re-adjusting to the old controls - not least since you cannot use the analogue sticks, which are super-handy for numerous levels on the PS4 version. But even some of the basic game physics are trickier to control in the original, such as bouncy jump boxes, which I don't remember being so damn hard. Native Fortress on the PS4 is a bugger, but it pales in comparison to the original which nearly made me tear my hair out (if I had any to tear out anyway).

I reckon the original game is substantially harder on a number of levels (figuratively and literally) since a) you only get one shot at the bonus levels, b) you need to get 'Perfect' runs in order to get white gems (all boxes and no deaths) and c) the sketchiness of the controls... it's only now with the 'remastered' controls that one can make a proper comparison - I would have told you the controls in the original game were sharp and precise until very recently, but only now that I've gone back to the original it is quite astonishing how hard it feels to play. Even some levels that should be a walk in the park (like Up The Creek) I found decidedly tricky - and as for getting the clear gem on the very first level in the game, now that did make me rage quit...

So, if you have a chance, fire up the original game and see how much harder it suddenly feels...
After playing the original just recently, I can definitely say the controls are not too great and truthfully if it weren't for that, I probably wouldn't have had as much trouble. Up The Creek did seem like it should be an easy level, but the controls made it difficult since I kept slightly overstepping on the leaves. Can't speak for the remaster yet, but I will post my thoughts when I get it.

I have a feeling I will most likely start with Crash Bandicoot 2 when I get this game since it was what I grew up with and it's the one I know best. I will probably play the first one last since it is so obscenely difficult. By then I should be used to the controls.

Last edited:
But I agree with you, that the original is harder simply because to obtain the gems on some stages required a single attempt at the bonus stages. I can't even imagine the pressure of perfecting Slippery Climb in the original having only one shot at the bonus or having to restart the entire stage just to get second attempts at a bonus.

Psst, you don't need to break the boxes in the bonus rounds to get the gems in the original version of Crash 1 ;)

Psst, you don't need to break the boxes in the bonus rounds to get the gems in the original version of Crash 1 ;)
I was wondering that, thanks for the info! Always assumed you had to break all the boxes, even in the bonus.

I forgot that, though apart from N. Sanity Beach I don't think I ever got a gem in the original game - it makes sense that you don't need the bonus round boxes, because otherwise it would be nigh on impossible.

Hopefully that means we'll get another Crash game in the same vein as the original trilogy
While that sounds like a great idea, I'm not sure my blood pressure (or the tendons in my thumbs) could handle another Crash game just yet - as such, they should pencil it in for a 2038 release on the PS7, around about the same time as Polyphony Digital complete GT Sport 2.

That is awesome. Hopefully that means we'll get another Crash game in the same vein as the original trilogy. I also think it will make Activision look at other franchises (Spyro) and possibly remaster or remake them as well.
Hopefully a Spyro remake!

Okay I was playing the original Crash Bandicoot 2 yesterday and I think I found a way to farm lives on there that could potentially still work in the N'Sane Trilogy. Remember the alternate path on Unbearable you can go down if you fall down the trench after the bear has gone down it?

Look at 1:50.

Once you reach that check point, their are two live crates on a platform to the right. They actually respawn when you die even after they have been collected. See where I am going with this? Lose one live, gain two more, sometimes even 3 more if you have enough wampa fruit. I unintentionally gained a bunch of lives and I had 63 when I decided to quit. Years of playing Crash 2 and I never knew about this route until I watched one of Caddicaurus's videos.

Now I am aware this thread ain't about the original titles, but given how the N'Sane trilogy is, I thought I would share this because I feel it could potientally be useful. Someone needs to try it and see.

Okay I was playing the original Crash Bandicoot 2 yesterday and I think I found a way to farm lives on there that could potentially still work in the N'Sane Trilogy. Remember the alternate path on Unbearable you can go down if you fall down the trench after the bear has gone down it?

Look at 1:50.

Once you reach that check point, their are two live crates on a platform to the right. They actually respawn when you die even after they have been collected. See where I am going with this? Lose one live, gain two more, sometimes even 3 more if you have enough wampa fruit. I unintentionally gained a bunch of lives and I had 63 when I decided to quit. Years of playing Crash 2 and I never knew about this route until I watched one of Caddicaurus's videos.

Now I am aware this thread ain't about the original titles, but given how the N'Sane trilogy is, I thought I would share this because I feel it could potientally be useful. Someone needs to try it and see.

There is a quick way of farming extra lives in Crash 2 in the PS4 version (see below), but it would be fun to know whether your method still works in the new version.

Quick Question: Can the powerups for Warped be used in the other two games once unlocked?

Been playing Warped lately and been wondering if it is possible in the N'Sane Trilogy.

Quick Question: Can the powerups for Warped be used in the other two games once unlocked?

Been playing Warped lately and been wondering if it is possible in the N'Sane Trilogy.
Nope, as far as I know Crash 1, 2 and 3 are essentially stand alone games.

Well I finally got the game yesterday and have played it plenty already. My first impression is the game looks great and while it has it's differences from the originals, it's still stays true to them while bringing a whole new vibe that doesn't ruin it. So far I have played as much of the first as I wanted, I have made it to at least The Lost City and later today I may jump into Crash Bandicoot 2 and play it. Not going to waste too much time or frustration with the first since I know how difficult it was and I know they're are far better things I can do in the game than raging over the same thing repeatedly.
I think they did it just to annoy us - they can even kill you when you are on the ropes if you are not on them perfectly...
As if the game doesn't have enough to annoy you already. When I fought Tiny in Warped, I thought for sure you couldn't spin those lions away, but it turns out you can! It's pretty stupid you can do that to them, but you can't to that stupid pig! It really makes little sense why they would do this.
Nope, as far as I know Crash 1, 2 and 3 are essentially stand alone games.
That's a darn shame! Heaven knows the first would benefit from having a bazooka.
You can get the Crash Dash power up in 2 when you get a 100%. Useful for time trials.
That's cool! It will be useful on the boulder/polar bear levels and hopefully it will help me jump onto those flamingos on Turtle Woods before they bury there selves in the ground. (I used to struggle with them a lot when I was younger)

Last edited:
So, shockingly I beat Crash Bandicoot 2 just today, which is crazy since I never did do it on the original without cheats! Never thought i'd get this far. ever! I certainly agree the remaster is harder than the original though. I played the original shortly before getting the remaster and I could breeze through it easily, then I got the remaster and it seemed a bit harder, but I eventually got the hang of it I guess. I kind of feel like the controls is what got to me most. Solid game though! 👍

So, shockingly I beat Crash Bandicoot 2 just today, which is crazy since I never did do it on the original without cheats! Never thought i'd get this far. ever! I certainly agree the remaster is harder than the original though. I played the original shortly before getting the remaster and I could breeze through it easily, then I got the remaster and it seemed a bit harder, but I eventually got the hang of it I guess. I kind of feel like the controls is what got to me most. Solid game though! 👍
One down, two to go.

One down, two to go.
Make that two, I just beat Crash 3 today. Well, sort of, I am missing one gem and I despite looking through every level (including the hidden ones), I cannot figure out what it is! I have everything else though and I defeated Cortex again.

Well, I don't know if I will ever beat Crash 1. The High Road is a nightmare and a half. Almost done with 2 and just started 3, but probably won't touch it until I beat the others.

I haven't played Crash since getting 100% in Crash 1 - I started out trying to get the Platinum trophy but considered it too much of a waste of time, though I came reasonably close. Getting a gold relic on The High Road (plus a few other levels) seems like a level of mastery that is simply beyond my patience threshold, and I was finding myself getting annoyed at myself/the game which is not good - so I'd rather leave it with happy memories.

I was surprised to see that Sony ruled out N. Sane Trilogy for consideration in their Game of the Year poll, on the basis that it is a remake. I guess that's fair enough, but given the enormous success of the game and the difference between N. Sane Trilogy and any one of the original games, I reckon it deserves greater recognition.

Make that two, I just beat Crash 3 today. Well, sort of, I am missing one gem and I despite looking through every level (including the hidden ones), I cannot figure out what it is! I have everything else though and I defeated Cortex again.

Normally you're supposed to collect the last gem by the old save screen in the warproom, thus giving you 105% complete.

Well, I don't know if I will ever beat Crash 1. The High Road is a nightmare and a half. Almost done with 2 and just started 3, but probably won't touch it until I beat the others.
I am not sure if I will beat the first either as far as completing the levels go, then again I didn't think I would come close to beating the other two with all the gems and relics (for Crash 3), but I did! I have gotten a lot better at Crash lately, but I will never get all the gems in the first. :scared:
Normally you're supposed to collect the last gem by the old save screen in the warproom, thus giving you 105% complete.
What about in this game?

Back