Crowdstrike 24 Hours of Spa

Sadly not.

I've been before and great though. Have you been to Spa before?
No, this'll be my first visit... I'm a bit worried, however, that my accommodation (in Spa itself) is too far from the circuit and that it's not going to be easy to get to (and esp. from) the circuit. I don't have a car, so I'm relying on public transport and/or shuttle buses that may or may not exist... I know they put on buses for the F1, but don't know about any other events like the 24h...

No, this'll be my first visit... I'm a bit worried, however, that my accommodation (in Spa itself) is too far from the circuit and that it's not going to be easy to get to (and esp. from) the circuit. I don't have a car, so I'm relying on public transport and/or shuttle buses that may or may not exist... I know they put on buses for the F1, but don't know about any other events like the 24h...
Hmmm... I don't think there's shuttle buses and the local services seem stop at about 8pm based on a clickabout on here https://www.letec.be/Planning/Details/Stop/FRANCORCHAMPS Hôtel Rohenval/LFRrohe2

Might be a Taxi/Uber job.

There's a bunch of share vehicle service in Belgium, but I live in the Dutch speaking part. Don't know much about availability in Spa

Apparently Uber is illegal in Belgium and I've already overheard one bad story about local taxis. I've researched the local buses so much that I deserve a B.Sc at the very least, and yet I'm still facing 10km walks. That said, I'm loving being in Spa... and today's car parade was mind-blowingly good... and I got to see, hear, smell and touch the utterly gorgeous 296 GT3...

20230628_201056.jpg

Sad news just now that in one of the supporting Formula Regional races, a driver, Dilano van 't Hoff, has died in a crash.

Apparently circumstances were very similar to what happened to Anthoine Hubert 4 years ago

Last edited:
Never been to Spa but have been to Nurb and Le Mans 24h. Transportation is allways a bit of an issue. Even if there are shuttle busses its usually a very long wait and when the bus gets stuck in traffic you might as well have walked XD
A lot of (smart) people tend to bring a bicycle or a small electric scooter to get around so maybe next time :)

Never been to Spa but have been to Nurb and Le Mans 24h. Transportation is allways a bit of an issue. Even if there are shuttle busses its usually a very long wait and when the bus gets stuck in traffic you might as well have walked XD
A lot of (smart) people tend to bring a bicycle or a small electric scooter to get around so maybe next time
There's so much camping around the Nurburgring staying within a short walk of the circuit is fairly easy - if you're camping of course.

Not a lot of posting in this thread.
Given that there wasn't really a thread for it and the nearest alternatively relevant GT3 thread hasn't had any posts since June 18th, I'm not entirely surprised.

Pity because the Spa24 is more entertaining as a race than the N24 because it's more than just surviving a six-yard wide track through a haunted forest where there's a Dacia Logan or Opel Manta dawdling along at 12mph.

Patrick Long's coming out of retirement for this one race never happened after co-driver Kyle Washington crashed the car after the first few laps of the race. Car had to be retired.

This is my first time watching, the sheer number of cars is wild.

Seeing Valentino Rossi out there is pretty cool too.

Last edited:
Not a lot of posting in this thread.
Not a lot of drama and since the stream is free on YouTube there's not much point just proclaiming what's happening on the screen, which seems to be what fleshes out most F1 threads.

There's a couple of GTPers on the YT chat.

edit:

Though for the sake of discussion. Safety cars and barrier repairs, is it just my perception, or do they take longer these days (in all endurance racing), than the used to, 10-15 years ago?

Last edited:
Not a lot of drama and since the stream is free on YouTube there's not much point just proclaiming what's happening on the screen, which seems to be what fleshes out most F1 threads.

There's a couple of GTPers on the YT chat.

edit:

Though for the sake of discussion. Safety cars and barrier repairs, is it just my perception, or do they take longer these days (in all endurance racing), than the used to, 10-15 years ago?
I think more racing series are trying to use the American method of doing a wave by for cars that are a lap down to try and bunch the leaders together. That's what seems to take so long.

I think more racing series are trying to use the American method of doing a wave by for cars that are a lap down to try and bunch the leaders together. That's what seems to take so long.
I don't mind the concept of that, I just wish they'd come up with a way of managing it so it could happen in less laps/time. If there is actually a clean up going on you can understand it I suppose...

Also...

Booom Eng to the lead.

... for a short while, I imagine.

Very sad to hear that Dilano van 't Hoff died at Spa today.

I've loved being at Spa, but it has been about as awkward as I expected it to be, thanks to my dumb decision not to camp near the circuit, and to rely on public transport. I'm also regretting listening to my workmates who said I didn't need to buy portable Wi-Fi because I can just use roaming/mobile data; obviously, there's no Wi-Fi at a circuit as huge as Spa, and so there was no way to follow the race on YouTube at the circuit without using all my data. Ironically, watching the race now on YouTube is by far the most I've seen of the bloody race weekend :lol:

I was all set to tough it out overnight at the circuit tonight, but I chickened out and came back to my hotel. I'm just too tired to face it, plus the weather is very changable, and its chilly and breezy already, so I made the painful decision to get the last bus home (at 6.45pm :( ) rather than stay at the circuit (until 6pm tomorrow night...), hitch-hike, or walk 2hrs in the darkness back to Spa.

-

Still, I met Richard and Sally Neary, whose son Sam is driving the #58 Grasser Lamborghini, and even Sam is having to kip in their campervan because there's nowhere else for him to stay. Richard is a former GT3 driver as well, and we had a couple of beers in the paddock, and it was a real highlight of my trip to speak to them. I saw Valentino Rossi in the town and again at the circuit today, as I just happened to be passing as he got into his shuttle bus, albeit surrounded by adoring fans. I also saw David Schumacher and spoke (briefly) to Nicki Thiim, plus I've spotted myself on YouTube a couple of times already, including at the very start of the race today, where I had a great view of the front of the grid (though not much else :lol: ):

EC596179-693B-4B3B-9E6A-21BDB17FC8AE.jpeg

I had a seat at the edge of the new grandstand overlooking Eau Rouge/Raidillion, but when it started raining, everyone put their brollies up and killed my view. The grandstand was also full of smokers and quite a few obnoxious people, so I decided to move and walked through the paddock (which was astonishing - they didn't seem to be stopping anyone from almost anywhere, including into some team garages while they were getting ready to put the cars out onto the grid, so I didn't enter any garages), before settling on a cosy spot (above) overlooking the overall pole position.

I'll watch the rest of tonight's action on YouTube, but I am gutted to miss the sunset and nightime at Spa. 15 mins before the last bus, I changed my mind and headed back to the circuit, only to get stung/bitten on the back of my neck by some bastard thing, and that was enough to make me think that I should go home. I'm looking forward to tomorrow though, the climax of the race plus a night at La Source hotel and dinner in Francorchamps itself.

It's been an amazing experience and I'm officially in love with the Spa circuit - though, as this morning's tragic events prove, just as has happened many times at the great circuits of the world before - it can, at times, be an extremely dangerous place. Little wonder that competitors and fans alike treat the place with such awe and respect. RIP Dilano.

Last edited:
I'll watch the rest of tonight's action on YouTube, but I am gutted to miss the sunset and nightime at Spa
Only until it absolutely hoofs it down, then you'll probably feel a bit better about it.

I remember spending about 3 hours drinking one Jupiler at Spa... it didn't go down, it just kept getting clearer and clearer.

Only until it absolutely hoofs it down, then you'll probably feel a bit better about it.
The forecast was awful for this evening, but it's actually not rained since the race started... I took some photos of some very ominous clouds near the start of the race and yet it didn't actually rain after the race had started...

2.30pm...

431F1F25-FCDB-406A-9BEF-AAC1562C61D4.jpeg

Just before the race:

BD2CF04D-8451-4194-88AD-F273BA014B7B.jpeg

About 1 hr into the race...

F8C45A2A-3DDE-443F-9795-4C83E94CC8C3.jpeg

MatskiMonk
I remember spending about 3 hours drinking one Jupiler at Spa... it didn't go down, it just kept getting clearer and clearer.

:lol:

And lo, Budweiser was born.

Last edited:
@Touring Mars did you made it around much of the track?
Yes, I've been round the entire track, as I've been here for 3 days now - I'm amazed at how high the far end of the circuit is, and how games like GT7 don't capture the elevation changes (except in VR) well at all... the climb from Les Fagnes thru Pouhon to Les Combes is brutal... Bruxelles/Les Combes is a great spot, and I found a nice spot at Paul Frere/Stavelot that is actually not inside the ticket boundary, even though its in the infield - so technically you could watch the whole race there for free.

Back